Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hello.

I've obtained a small number of Honda Accord Station wagons.

I've sold the green one so now it's just three. Wanna meet them?

This is Schwaggs, my OG wagon and daily driver. Born in 1993 as an LX model it's been driving longer than I have, but we've been together a long time now. How long? No-one knows cause the ODO quit years ago, but the motor has blown up twice now and twice I've slapped it back together in the most careless manner possible. It runs on hate, and some gasoline. Despite its good looks, everything is wrong with it.

This is shitwagon (now known as HEEP), another 1993 LX. I bought it for nothing more than the rear glass, an NLA part. But then I found a piece of glass before swapping the liftgates, so I made shitwagon roadworthy and now it's a carwagon. It runs great, has 300,000 miles and a factory manual transmission, just like Schwaggy.

This is my son, we were going to fix up the shitwagon together and it would be his, but I found something in Fresno that changed our minds. The plan for shitwagon was to fix the cosmetics with junkyard parts, swap an H22 in, lower it, yadda yadda yadda.

But then we found this. It's a 1991 EX automatic with an H22 and M2Y4 manual transmission swapped in. Also it has s2000 front seats, a Mugen front lip, 3-inch exhaust with mufflerloudener, Skunk2 three-inch intake with throttle body, Evo 8 injectors, and it's lowered on H&R springs. The cost of the engine shipped to my house was nearly what I paid for this whole car. It runs pretty good but needs some tuning yet. I drove it from Fresno to St. Louis in 27 hours.

(sorry, older image)

I'm be funny now

So why this thread? I'm taking shitwagon to the Ozark-region Gambler 500.

Inspiration:

Honda Rescue Group makes lift kits for the CB and CD-series Accords

https://www.hondarescue.com/shop-4

But first I've got to swap a clutch into shitwagon, cause it's hosed. So now I'm going outside to start that. Updates later...

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO12HPLaK-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZzqBPz4sY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGoOTr3Ioe0

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Old Honda Wagons are best.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

I ripped the bumper off, got a bunch of good clips to fix the bumper on Schwags, which requires a daily kicking to get back in place.

You might see where this is going already. The bumper support is made of plastic, and while it's got a lot of fibers in it, it's not really that strong for what's about to happen. So I made this plate to help give the mount some strength on the backside. Yeah it's not great.

And the finished product.

Ok so it's probably monumentally stupid to expect the winch to not be capable of ripping the bumper support off, but this is Gambling, not winning. We'll just be careful.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 5, 2019

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Should I?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153420189193

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
One thousand times yes. I wish I knew itr wheels were 4x114, I'd have put them on the fist and made everyone possible in my area angry.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love threads like these. Also, yes on the wheels!

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Hell yeah! Love those old wagons

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Not much done this weekend. We had parties to attend yesterday, and today I fought the yard once more. We have a lot of honeysuckle.

Rather than zip-tie the turn signals to the bumper support, I reinstalled the bumper cover. It’s so hard to throw poo poo away here, especially car parts. It took minor cutting to fit it.

First trim attempt.

Little more needed

Done

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Wheels bought, lift kit bought. Getting 2.5 inch suspension and 1 inch body.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Live posting clutch job here.

Got the Jesus nut first. Make sure to wear your safety sandals.

Then separate/take off the rest of the other stuff.

That’s lower ball joint, tie rod end, halfshaft, radius rod, and drain the transmission.

Ok now to do the other side. The sun has just about moved off.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
gently caress the other side.

Kinda the same, remove axle nut, separate lower ball joint, tie-rod end. Then pull these fuckers.

From here.

Pull the mount bolts too, they’re different sizes. Make sure to remember the order. 1,2,3,4,5, same combo as my luggage.

Never buy Cardone steering racks. This is number two for this car. It’s been driven three miles and it’s now pissing fluid right through the seal on the side here. Failed while moving the car to the garage to jack it up today.

I can’t say enough bad about Cardone at this point, number 1 made it roughly the same distance before pissing fluid into the tie-rod boots. I’ve flushed the poo poo out of the system and use new fluid every time. gently caress you Cardone.

Good news though is a wild package appeared!

Holy gently caress what’s inside!? The mail lady said it’s heavy...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Unf, hardware.

Bunch of loving bolts.

And spacers!

2.5 inch spring lift and 1 inch body.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I gave up on Cardone when I got three bad axles in a row (and a friend got two more for a similar car). Fine for years before that, but I'd rather pay more from someone else than do the repair multiple times..

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Greasy pig is removed.

Throwout doesn’t look roached.

Got stuck on the pressure plate/clutch removal. Needed an 10mm 12-point socket.

Old pressure plate says “competition clutch”. Can’t wait to see what it looks like.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 14, 2019

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
The old clutch was grabbing all the way at the top of the pedal travel, and operated mostly as an on/off switch. Now I know why.

Other than the hot air intake, this car didn’t show much sign of the typical Honda mod bullshit, so the six-puck clutch caught me by surprise. I’m pretty sure it’s just worn out.

I picked up this Duralast clutch kit at the local Autozoo. Couldn’t believe they had one in stock, they never have poo poo anymore.

Didn’t include a flywheel. I’m just gonna run this fucker. Shows some wear but I couldn’t hardly feel any ridge so I think it’ll work OK.

On to the next problem. I was so excited to find Autozone had the clutch kit because I thought it would mean I could finish the project this weekend. But I got stuck on the body lift.

To do the body lift you need to use drop spacers on the transmission mount to accommodate the subframes sitting lower. Here they are on the transmission mount studs.

One of the studs is way too short. No problem, HRG sent replacement studs!

Except that the manual transmission doesn’t use M12 studs. It uses M10 with a 1.25 pitch. HRG didn’t know that. The auto trans uses two M12 studs, the manual uses three M10. It appears I’m the first to lift a manual CB9 with their kit.

They’re sending me one extra spacer as well as three M10x100 studs with a 1.25 pitch. In the meantime I tried to reinstall the transmission, but failed. I just can’t balance the transmission on my jack and operate the jack with my legs and guide the transmission up at the same time.

After the third time dropping it on my face I quit and left to go drink beer in the river. It was nice.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

These are the ongoing tales of a madman. As a man of (formerly) many wagons including a manual RT4WD I shall stay tuned to this saga.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I won.

It took two jacks and a friend to wrangle the drat thing back in. It’s just too awkwardly shaped and weighted to make this an easy job. As soon as it was together and two bolts were run in we made for the indoors. Brutal hot out today and the sun on black asphalt was no help.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Good stuff. I feel like there isn't enough wagon content here, but I'm probably wrong.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Unnfffff...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The best way to paint Honda wheels.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hoping to blow some greatness on to the project.

Today so far I’ve got a lot of fiddly poo poo done. Transmission fully bolted in, motor mounts are mounting, electrical all electrifying, shifters are shifting, clutch bled, radius rod installed. Center shaft was missing a bolt and it’s getting stupid hot out again, so I quit for now to find a bolt and fluids.

Still waiting on the spacer and extended mount bolts so I’m just buttoning up and making drivable for now. Schwaggs needs upper ball joints, so I want the shitwagon drivable before I start that job. My new neighborhood is superfancy, and I do also have an HOA, I really don’t want to rile the neighbors with multiple cars up on stands.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Swapped the steering rack for the third time. gently caress Cardone. Tested clutch in the driveway. Think it’s gonna work great. Test fit the wheels and found I’m gonna need a spacer for the front wheels at least. The steering ain’t hooked up cause the body lift will change things here. So basically I’m starting the body lift now.

I love the wheels but feel I shoulda gone for more meat in the tires.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

trouser chili posted:

I love the wheels but feel I shoulda gone for more meat in the KO2 or Grabber AT2 tires.

That's better.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I haven't been riding to work for three weeks now. Broke the bike twice and then it got stupidhot. With lack of daily exercise I've gone and done what I feared might happen when working on the car. I've injured myself. Right shoulder is all sorts of pissed off right now. I hate getting old. Good news is today I can ride again, and I don't care how much my shoulder complains we're doing it.

When I stop moving is when I start breaking.

Fermented Tinal posted:

That's better.

I was looking at these before I bought the wheels.

The wheels came with Blizzacks and I thought they'll work just fine, but they also look so smol.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 23, 2019

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Front’s lifted.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I love what you're doing here! Taking my lifted Vo' camping this week but I'd love to take it to an event like the gambler and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I like where this is going.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Rear is lifted.

Gotta run through the work one more time and make sure everything is tight and pinned. Also gotta hook up the steering and flush the rack. Hopefully this one will hold together.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So far the rack is holding. Got the motor mounts done and the steering hooked up.

This was probably a bad idea, but I like the look when the bumper is body colored. I found this lovely old paint in the garage, close enough.

Juxtaposition shot.

After cannibalizing the rub rails for the clips that are NLA and needed for Schwags, I figured I’d just paint the ones that are left along with the bumper.

Finally took an extended test drive. It didn’t go great. The steering wheel wires managed to get pulled and I lost the airbag and horn. I also must have forgotten to tighten the lug nuts cause they came loose. I caught it in time and pulled over, only to find there was no lug wrench in the car. So a mile walk home, got my bicycle and came back with a socket and torque wrench. At least it hasn’t pissed power steering fluid everywhere. gently caress Cardone.

Also the front suspension isn’t working great. I’m pretty sure one of the struts is partially frozen. I seem to have no compression on the front passenger side.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

trouser chili posted:

This was probably a bad idea, but I like the look when the bumper is body colored. I found this lovely old paint in the garage, close enough.

This made me chuckle. DGAF cars are the best.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hopefully my poo poo’s not locked up.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ok sweet, I can post. Here’s a taste.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 7, 2019

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
More poo poo

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice! Glad to see an update

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Good stuff. Also glad to see you still have the integra. You'll be able to retire on selling that thing.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My old thread about the ITR is archived and can’t be posted in. So the update is here

One thing I know about projects is the death of them is taking something apart without the financial means to see it put back together. To that end I’ve waited to touch the ITR.

This last week though I got back started with it. Here’s the head.

It’s not terrible! Several valves got a kiss though. The darkened crescent on the upper rightmost valve in this picture of cylinder 4 is indicative of that.

I initially thought I got away completely clean on this, but the machinist that now has the head showed me the signs I missed. Glad to be using a professional here. He’s going to rebuild the head and replace valves as needed.

Pulling the head is turning out to be a great exercise as it allowed me to find I also had other problems with the engine, such as this broken exhaust stud at cylinder 4. It had been leaking for some time, although I never noticed, you can see the carbon all over the side of the head here.

Also discovered is that cylinder 1 has been running poorly. I think it’s likely it’s been running rich from a bad injector, as it never misfired, the exhaust valves show a black color the others don’t and it just looks overall greasier in comparison.

I’m debating having the injector tested vs just replacing it, and I’m wondering just how long that injector has been bad, if so. The car has always taken to sooting up the bumper.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Sno problem. Wish it were deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
This thread makes me miss my '00 Accord. I'd buy it back today just to completely refresh it at the cost of my wallet and my marriage if I knew I wouldn't wind up in a ditch.

Did these wagons ever come with the V6?