Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

quote:

Year 198 of the Solar Era in Tokyo, special fire brigades are fighting against a phenomenon called spontaneous human combustion where humans beings are turned into living infernos called "Infernals". While the Infernals are first generation cases of spontaneous human combustion, later generations possess the ability to manipulate flames while retaining human form. Shinra Kusakabe, a youth who gained the nickname Devil's Footprints for his ability to ignite his feet at will, joins the Special Fire Force Company 8 which is composed of other flames users as they work to extinguish any Infernals they encounter. As a faction that is creating Infernals appears, Shinra begins to find out the cause of a mysterious fire that killed his family 12 years earlier.

Fire Force (En'en no Shōbōtai) is the newest work by mangaka Atsushi Ōkubo (Soul Eater, Soul Eater NOT) and currently has 16 volumes and has now just received a TV anime adaptation. Produced by David Productions (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Cells At Work, Captain Tsubasa), the show is directed by Yuik Yase (Mekakucity Actors) and series composition is handled by Gakuto Haishima. The OP is Inferno by Mrs. GREEN APPLE.

This thread is intended for discussion of the anime. Discussion of the manga is allowed, but any specific spoilers should be spoiler tagged and marked as manga spoilers for new viewers.

You can watch the show legally through Funimation or Crunchyroll. It airs every Friday.

Julias fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's also on Crunchyroll....

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

First episode seemed good, definitely going to watch the next.

I don't think I've seen anything for a while with this much put into the actual animation.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

A mod should change this thread's tag to hot.

Plot seems like its going to be pretty standard shounen stuff, but it will be stylish enough to make up for it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

does the girl with the witch hat cast explosion because that's the thing nowadays

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

el dorito posted:

does the girl with the witch hat cast explosion because that's the thing nowadays
I think it's explained next episode. Which is friday. :negative:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

el dorito posted:

I don't think she is based on Megumin.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Julias posted:

Fire Force (En'en no Shōbōtai) is the newest work by mangaka Atsushi Ōkubo (Soul Eater, Soul Eater NOT) and currently has 16 volumes and has now just received a TV anime adaptation. Produced by David Productions (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Cells At Work, Captain Tsubasa), the show is directed by Yuik Yase (Mekakucity Actors) and series composition is handled by Gakuto Haishima. The OP is Inferno by Mrs. GREEN APPLE.

Really hope this makes it to Toonami. That is one holy hell of a pedigree.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I. M. Gei posted:

Really hope this makes it to Toonami. That is one holy hell of a pedigree.

Could see it, lots of shows are ending on Toonami soon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like in the opening how all the Fire Soldiers have different colored glowing eyes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
man david productions sure is good at making pictures move

never read or watched soul eater, but im really curious if this can keep my interest for 47 more episodes. they got me to come back for a second at least!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom posted:

never read or watched soul eater, but im really curious if this can keep my interest for 47 more episodes. they got me to come back for a second at least!

It's going to be 24 episodes.

Also I recommend checking out Soul Eater anyways

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
soul eater had wonderfully expressive art and the setting reveled in how little sense it made, but both the anime and manga ended with a whimper

got a bitchin AMV out of it at least

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the Manga ended pretty well. I enjoyed the journey and end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
above all else i liked okubo's work because of his penchant for drawing demented grins

the only artist better than him at that stuff was kazuma kondou, and his work has some deeper issues. still!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Julias posted:

It's going to be 24 episodes.

Also I recommend checking out Soul Eater anyways
I could've sworn this was announced for four cours, oops!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

I could've sworn this was announced for four cours, oops!
Split two-cour.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually like the manga this is based on, though many people found it generic. It gave me a somewhat similar feeling to Ao no Exorcist in terms of feeling like "an above average and well-drawn shounen manga."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I read this as the Air Force Anime Thread and wanted to see a magical girl type transformation as some dude walks into a conex in nevada then sits down in an office chair to watch grainy footage of mountains for ten hours.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This show reminds me a lot of Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blood Bloodthing

-Ensemble team
-Weird kid with traumatic past
-Lots of crosses
-Weird monsters
-Pretty nice looking production
-Pretty stylistically powerful source material making for a unique aesthetic (Nightow VS Okubo)
-Kazuya Nakai being a weirdo

That being said, the premise seems a lot more straightforward/focused, so I think I might like it more

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The character design is dope and the action slaps

Hope they can maintain the quality because that first ep was a sasugafest

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Expect My Mom posted:

You need to watch Soul Eater right now it is extremely good. Tells a great story with awesome characters and looks drat good doing it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, except for the dumb filler ending.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

The anime missed some good stuff that happened in the manga, but it did have the Coffee Table Flip and also didn't have the insanely bad Book of Eibon arc, so in all I'd give it to the anime.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This was so good I'm v excited to see them shoot fire with an uzi some more

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While the Soul Eater anime has a ton of cool stuff going for it, Diggy-Mo's hella sick jam "Explosive Dream Song" is the one thing that I still find impossible to forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4kUUBn2ak

Also, Taku Iwasaki's soundtrack was probably among his best.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, except for the dumb filler ending.

The manga ending was kinda... dumber.

I did like the extra Medusa/Krona stuff in the manga though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

I did like the extra Medusa/Krona stuff in the manga though.
Like I know Soul Eater ran in the same compilation magazine that FMA (which had no shortage of horrifying/nightmarish content when Arakawa felt like punching your scary bone), but "Just a simple story about killing people" was probably some of the most uncomfortable I've ever felt reading a mainstream manga. :stonk:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fangz posted:

The manga ending was kinda... dumber.

Disagree.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So they burn the fires to death?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure never heard 'fight fire with fire'?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A fire needs either fuel or oxygen, and what better way to get rid of fire than by lighting nearby fuel and oxygen on fire

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

So they burn the fires to death?

Not quite.

Sometimes they kick the fire first.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if the manga ending was somehow dumber than the anime ending hoo hoo hah hah hah holy poo poo

anyway fire force is good though, but there's no way they're going to be able to keep up that level of sakuga for every fight

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Patware posted:

if the manga ending was somehow dumber than the anime ending hoo hoo hah hah hah holy poo poo

Nah, the manga ending is alright. Definitely not perfect-it feels like Atsushi was originally gonna have the final arc go on for at least a few more chapters (there's a big red herring that doesn't go anywhere, but it very much felt like it should have came up during the final battle), but just decided to wrap it up and go home. Still worthwhile to read for a full conclusion to the story.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I remember liking the style of Soul Eater but I really hated the show only a few episodes in. Pretty much all of the characters were completely insufferable. I don't hate anyone in this show yet so good start.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ViggyNash posted:

I remember liking the style of Soul Eater but I really hated the show only a few episodes in. Pretty much all of the characters were completely insufferable. I don't hate anyone in this show yet so good start.

Having read a little bit ahead in the manga after watching the first episode, there still seem to be a few characters characterized entirely by their insufferable flaws.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Patware posted:

anyway fire force is good though, but there's no way they're going to be able to keep up that level of sakuga for every fight

the thing with noah and the book of eibon goes absolutely nowhere, most of the final arc is taken up by a naruto-esque "war" scene, and the last chapter consist of everyone talking about tits

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

Having read a little bit ahead in the manga after watching the first episode, there still seem to be a few characters characterized entirely by their insufferable flaws.

i never much cared for the characters who are eccentric to the extent that they should probably be institutionalized. they might eventually get something done, but only after half a chapter of gibbering failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man remember when david productions was struggling to get season 1 of Jojo to look good?

How far we've come