Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Atrocious Joe posted:

More info
https://fas.org/spp/eprint/keegan.htm

Granted, this is a death-beam and not a headache ray, but it's the same energy.

I don't know about long range beams like this, but at least similar concepts are for real. I have a relative in the service who claimed many decades ago to have been present in the vicinity of the testing of "sonic" weapons that he saw "made a cow's guts fall out" instantly.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 12:08 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I finished that Bitten book and it’s not very convincing in its main assertion and is also written in this weird very curt and truncated style so it’s hard to get into before it bounces to something else. all that being said, imo it is convincing that:

- the limited view of Lyme’s disease has financially benefitted scientists with conflicts of interest for their own patents on the main ineffective treatment courses

- lymes disease is being used as a catch all to ignore what is actually likely a broad spectrum of bacterial and viral infections that often coexist in tick vectors and display contradictory symptoms when simultaneously infecting the same person

- the US invested heavily in mass breeding ticks fed with combinations of bacteria and viruses prior to the sudden outbreaks in the Great Lakes region and more East with some evidence that the bacteria appearing in these ticks were both not native and cultivated in the Rocky Mountain lab in Montana/Plum island

- the US funded science to mass release and track ticks around Montana and eastward, though overwhelmingly these were non infected at least upon release

the author desperately is trying to prove a lab leak or a deliberate release, hinting that the main scientist she focuses on may have been a Soviet agent who stole a bacterial strain and tick combo from the Montana lab and it got released in the states, but the evidence is weak. The book did teach me that the public interpretation of the work, that Lyme’s disease is govt made, is an incorrect interpretation of the evidence and instead it’s about all these other bacterial combinations that are ignored in favour of diagnosing as Lyme’s

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

today i was thinking about how hosed up it was that i was able to watch the nick berg video on the internet in 7th grade so I looked up a little bit about it and I’m crackin and pinging like crazy, even the details on wikipedia itself are insane.

he was detained by us military a month before his death and the fbi interviewed his family at the time. the us claims he was never detained by the military despite the fact that mosul police claims they never had him and an email to his family from us consul confirmed he was detained by the military

three days after his death video was released it came out that he was investigated for ties to the 9/11 hijackers. He had supposedly lent his laptop to someone on a bus in oklahoma and his email password somehow was in the possession of Zacarias Moussaou.

two month later a French reporter speaks with someone who claimed to be one of the killers and he says they offered a prisoner exchange which the us rejected

It also turns out that both him and moussaoui went to oklahoma university for at least a few classes. at the time David boren was the president of Oklahoma university and had met with cia director james woolsey the night before and morning of 9/11. On September 12th Woolsey went on cnn and said that Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

I don’t really know how to connect the dots here but what the gently caress

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

inferis posted:

[Epstein] I don’t really know how to connect the dots here but what the gently caress

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

oh just found a reddit post by a guy who claims to have gone to school with him

https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/grh5ce/comment/g80ww9x

he claims that he had a triple room in college and his roommates moved out after a few months

he says he met nick in college looking skinny and sickly and nick said he had gotten really sick building prefab houses in africa and never mentioned his work on radio towers which is what he was doing in iraq

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This thread really is gazing into the void for me, and is doing absolutely nothing good for my mental health.

But I think I can't stop reading

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Riot Bimbo posted:

This world really is gazing into the void for me, and is doing absolutely nothing good for my mental health.

But I think I can't stop reading

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Suplex Liberace posted:

Its not a documentary but I watched Mr Freedom again the other day and it ruled. A very good and accurate portrayal of the CIA.

finally got around to this and lmao

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!
https://twitter.com/TheDukeZip/status/1388859038440493059

https://twitter.com/silascutler/status/1387162874150326273

quote:

Cellebrite makes software to automate physically extracting and indexing data from mobile devices. They exist within the grey – where enterprise branding joins together with the larcenous to be called “digital intelligence.” Their customer list has included authoritarian regimes in Belarus, Russia, Venezuela, and China; death squads in Bangladesh; military juntas in Myanmar; and those seeking to abuse and oppress in Turkey, UAE, and elsewhere. A few months ago, they announced that they added Signal support to their software.

By a truly unbelievable coincidence, I was recently out for a walk when I saw a small package fall off a truck ahead of me. As I got closer, the dull enterprise typeface slowly came into focus: Cellebrite. Inside, we found the latest versions of the Cellebrite software, a hardware dongle designed to prevent piracy (tells you something about their customers I guess!), and a bizarrely large number of cable adapters.

https://signal.org/blog/cellebrite-vulnerabilities/

The CIA keeps "losing" these toys, probably nothing to worry about.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
structuring my op like an internet ARG

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

pretty cool. outsource your espionage to other people's interests. then you passively get to monitor anyone dumb enough to use these kits, plus get the dirt they're pulling up. neat. pretty smart if people really aren't gonna assume that this giant wooden horse is totes just a gift from the light~, good fortunes and all~

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

So in layman's terms... are these "random" electronic kits dropped with the assumption normies will pick them up, bring them home, and try to plug them in/connect to them to see what they are? The purpose being to siphon away data, hijack personal electronics, crack encrypted information, and transmit it to the MIC for surveillance reasons?

I'd imagine the legal blowback would then be a combination of "if you didn't want the MIC to have all your personal data, you shouldn't have plugged into it" and "actually we're counter-suing you because you knew this wasn't yours and put our proprietary IP tech at risk/stole our data."

Am I on the right track here, or if not, can somebody explain in clearer terms?

It'd be funny if people just started stripping them down for all their rare earth parts.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

nut
Jul 30, 2019

finding a cellebrite case in the woods and immediately thinking that digimon are real

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/flglmn/status/1389027748216295426?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As far my simple googling has found:

Cellebrite is a company that makes this specialized equipment that's used to break into cellphones and access all of its data.

Cellebrite is an Israel-based firm.

They've been doing this for a long time now - I've found an article as far back as 2016 at least. At the time, the controversy was Cellebrite selling its equipment to be used by "repressive regimes" such as Bahrain, Turkey, UAE, and Russia. I put "repressive regime" in quotes not because I think those countries aren't repressive, but because Cellebrite's other customers are American police departments (and presumably other members of the NatSec sphere).

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/08/phone-cracking-cellebrite-software-used-to-prosecute-tortured-dissident/
https://www.vice.com/en/article/aekqjj/cellebrite-sold-phone-hacking-tech-to-repressive-regimes-data-suggests

The more recent issue as of April 2021, is that:

Cellebrite recently announced that they've added support for Signal, the supposedly* secure messaging app. Based on Signal's response, this does not mean that Signal has been "cracked" or "hacked" or can be decrypted at will, but rather, if your cellphone is already unlocked, then Cellebrite's equipment can grab the data. This is not super controversial, to my eye: if an attacker has your phone, and they also have the means to unlock it, whether by using your finger while you're unconscious or whatever the hell, then they could already just take photos of your phone screen while they browse through the material. All Cellebrite does is automate that process. Apparently, this is already how Cellebrite works in all other circumstances - the change with Signal was that Cellebrite could now understand Signal's file formats and app structure.

The owner of Signal, one Moxie Marlinspike, found a kit of Cellebrite equipment under the same circumstances as in those two tweets posted by hseroK divaD: they say they were out walking when a bag of Cellebrite fell off a truck, and they walked over and picked it up.

Marlinspike then inspected the equipment and the software, and found that the code was not very secure, suggesting that someone could potentially plant code inside their phones that could foil Cellebrite's content-sucking.

Further, Marlinspike also said that they found snippets of code that seemed to be have been copied or otherwise came from Apple code, which may be a legal problem.

https://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/encrypted-chat-app-signal-reveals-flaws-in-cellebrite-equipment/82190940
https://www.wired.com/story/signal-cellebrite-hack-app-store-scams-security-news/
https://signal.org/blog/cellebrite-vulnerabilities/

* reminder that per Yasha Levine, Signal was developed by a CIA / RFA spin-off, so it's not necessarily to be considered all that secure if it's got a line back to the feds

___

I guess the question is: are the Cellebrite cases falling off the backs of trucks a marketing scheme, or a deeper op? Is someone dropping them off on purpose and hoping that someone will pick up on it and try to develop countermeasures so they can prepare a response?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
lmao. "it fell off a truck" = someone gave/sold it to him. have you guys never seen a mafia movie?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

lmao. "it fell off a truck" = someone gave/sold it to him. have you guys never seen a mafia movie?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah seriously. these aren't being "lost" by the CIA or some poo poo, someone stole a bunch of these and they're giving them to people in the hacker community. check that silias guy's feed - all his hacker friends are "finding" them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

next you'll be telling me these speakers I bought out of a white van weren't legitimately acquired

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Backweb posted:

So in layman's terms... are these "random" electronic kits dropped with the assumption normies will pick them up, bring them home, and try to plug them in/connect to them to see what they are? The purpose being to siphon away data, hijack personal electronics, crack encrypted information, and transmit it to the MIC for surveillance reasons?

No. What happened is that they get it either through theft or turncoats and the tweet is a lie.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so Epstein-brained that "fell off the back of a truck" didn't even register

sorry folks!

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!
Welp, i fell for it too.

Let's hope those vulnerabilities they found run this company into the ground, tools like that can get people imprisioned or killed in certain parts of the world.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

CainFortea posted:

No. What happened is that they get it either through theft or turncoats and the tweet is a lie.
Thanks

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm so Epstein-brained that "fell off the back of a truck" didn't even register

sorry folks!
Same

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Still wouldn't be surprised if there's some backdoor poo poo on them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

Still wouldn't be surprised if there's some backdoor poo poo on them.

this is the important part for me; PROMIS should tell you the tech is there, and no matter who the company's clients are, I'm pretty sure they've got one master at the end of the day~

did entirely miss the metaphor as well, which I Really Should Not Have

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Why hasn't anyone discussed the fact that 9/11 was an op to distract a pained nation from learning the McDonald's Monopoly game was rigged?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

quote:

Another connection between Casolaro and the JFK assassination concerns the Banca del Lavoro, a state-owned Italian bank that apparently the writer was investigating as part of the BCCI tentacle in his Octopus research. According to Sherman Skolnick, a researcher in Chicago, the Banca del Lavoro financed the training of an assassination team in Mexico, some of whom wound up in Dealey Plaza on November 22, 1963. At present, Attorney General Barr is considering the appointment of a special prosecutor in a case involving $5 billion dollars in loans to Saddam Hussein made by the Atlanta branch of Banca del Lavoro prior to the Gulf War, the so-called Iraqgate scandal. The Banca del Lavoro is indeed mentioned in the Torbitt Document,
"Nomenclature of an Assassination Cabal" by William Torbitt, which has circulated among Kennedy researchers for twenty years, as is Ross Perot. That the Torbitt Document may have originated in the office of Lloyd Bentsen, now named by Bill Clinton as treasury secretary, as well as Bentsen's connection to Defense
Industrial Security Command--culprits in the assassination according to the Torbitt Document--should leave the reader a long pause to ruminate over the connections spanning the years.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gh0stpinballa posted:

According to Sherman Skolnick, a researcher in Chicago, the Banca del Lavoro financed the training of an assassination team in Mexico, some of whom wound up in Dealey Plaza on November 22, 1963

all this stuff sounds fun until you look at primary sources from the people name dropped and its insane crank stuff like:

quote:

A major player in The Coca-Cola Company has been Warren Buffet.

To understand Warren Buffet, who mouths off his wonders at universities training so-called would-be business stars, you would have to be a profound investigator, from mostly secret sources, on the worldwide dope trafficking by the American CIA.

When you are knowledgeable on that, then, and only then, do you understand the financial buffoon, Warren Buffet.

Is it a mere coincidence that his purported nephew, Jimmy Buffet, and his rock concerts seem to be part of making dope use fashionable? His band, The Corral Reefers, is a word play for narcotics. At his concerts, there is reportedly massive trafficking and use of dope. And the local corrupted police have the badge of the three monkeys.

DOPE! buncha DOPE SMOKERS

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wait jimmy buffet is related to warren?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

wait jimmy buffet is related to warren?

no, lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

this naked capitalism webinar got posted in another thread and while it's not really about that, there were parts of it hinting at both the scale and granularity of control the system affords Capital I liked.

Michael Hudson posted:

We had one meeting with the federal reserve at a later point and they said: Mr. Hudson, according to your analysis, Britain can’t pay any additional loans? And I said: that’s pretty obvious, I think that the pound is going to be devalued. They said: but we’re always going to lend Britain the money to pay, aren’t we? And I said: that’s right, if the federal reserve and the US government lends Britain the money to pay the interest to keep itself, then they can do it. And the fed guy said: then we can lend the Latin American governments if they’re friendly governments.

In other words: we will lend the dictators and the client oligarchies money to pay, but if they were to vote for somebody we don’t like, then we’ll call in all the loans, strangle the economy, block them from importing, devalue the currency, create a crisis, to say: that’s what you get for not voting for our guys.

Then I developed a whole balance of payments accounting format at Chase. I went to Arthur Andersen, the accounting firm. Before they were closed down for fraud, they were a major accounting firm. I said I want to do my analysis for the whole US of its balance of payments. I worked for a whole year putting the US balance of payments together. That’s when I found the entire deficit was all military.

So, they had their art department drop all the charts. One day my boss came into my office and said: we just got a phone call from Robert McNamara, and they had the defense department, the leader of the Vietnam war, the hawk. He was an idiot savant, very brilliant but didn’t know what to be brilliant about, and there was a tunnel vision, the power mad Irishman who went on to lead the world bank and corrupt it. Anyway, he said that Arthur Andersen would never get another government contract if they didn’t fire me and prevent this criticism of the analysis of the balance of payments from coming out.

So, I took it to New York University, where I got my PhD. I took it to the business school, and they immediately published it as a triple issue of the bullet and then that became a major to do at that point. That was in 1968-69 and it was obvious at that time that America was soon going to go off gold, which it did.

After that I became fairly well known because I had forecast it and I did explain how once countries go off gold, America went off gold.

Other foreign central banks said: what are we going to call our reserves in? The American government doesn’t want us to buy gold, the only thing we can buy is other government securities and the only government securities around are American treasury securities, because nobody else is running as big a deficit to push all of these IOUs into the world market.

it's a glimpse of both how debt and funding exercises multi-scale control, from the topology of geopolitics all the way down to the level of the individual human beings comprising it, to maintain system stability. check for threats to stability, fund/boot, repeat. and not to humanize mcnamara too much, but for some reason it reminded me of how he and people close to him reported being shocked that their families called them war criminals and thought they were deranged during the vietnam war. for all their individual intelligence they were just following the numbers produced by a basically "dumb" system, and that led them to behave inhumanly.

even if a particular control ultimately fails, it feathers the fall, helps the system discover vulnerabilities early and buys time to maintain stability in other ways.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

RIP to the accuser if they're identified

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1389309814363222019

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1389327441039085570?s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

divorce just announced for bill too

Delta-Wye