Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yesterday a train engineer tried to derail a train into the USNS Mercy ship that was docked outside of LA as a hospital overflow location because he said it was suspicious and didn't think it was there for the official reasons

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1245495247238336512?s=19

I think the engineer is too embarrassed to admit he gets horny about train crashes and invented this story as a way to cover the truth/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

kazr posted:

Internal tool you say

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

the DB stuff reminds me of that bank that was the #1 CIA money launderer and also a massive launderer for a bunch of other criminals but then one day CIA switched banks and then they got busted and some of the bank execs got killed (I think).

tried googling to remember the name but the list of banks the cia used to money launder was too long for me

Nugan Hand?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

you might be conflating it with the banco ambrosiano scandal where a bank connected to the vatican was laundering mafia money for the freemasons to funnel to fascists; the guy running the bank was found hanging from a bridge

I almost posted something about this too.

If I recall, P2 was not just any old masonic lodge but an "illegal" lodge. Also it was the organizing force behind an aborted pro-fascist coup in Italy during the 1970s.

Trabisnikof posted:

maybe but I thought it was a bank the CIA used before the 70s.

that's a new one for me and lol that one of the founders currently sells knives lol: https://www.topsknives.com/

For some more info on the Nugan Hand bank affair, take a look at this old usenet post

bedpan has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Jul 22, 2020

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Paying for sex sounds WAY more bleak than just being garden variety unfuckable.

if it helps they were probably getting swindled out of the sex and instead were just getting worked liked at a "host" bar

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mdemone posted:

not every sex worker regrets their work, and not every john feels sad to be a customer.

I bet plenty of those johns feel sad for getting conned at a Bahrain clip joint!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

also the ones that can't borrow any money from their friends and have to go back to the base and tell one of the senior enlisted personnel that they lost their paycheck

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chief, she loves me!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Vashro posted:

What does egg shaped penis even mean?

when epstein looked down he saw an egg

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

he had a chode

I always saw Epstein as Chode 2.0: a hardboiled egg emerging from his groin. No visible shaft or bell end, just an egg. Or a shield boss.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

smoobles posted:

I'm just catching up, were there any somethingburgers in the released docs, or just more confirmation that Dersh is a rapist?

further confirmation that Bill Clinton was a frequent flier of lolita air and loved palling around with Epstein

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

taqueso posted:

Epstein had a black friend.

And his name was Albert Einstein.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

even before the OPCW issue (which is still important, mind, because it confirms the problem), we already had journalist Robert Fisk going into Douma and figuring out that what had happened was people getting choked from all the dust stirred up by bombings and then having water poured down their throats to clear out the dust, except since they're not speaking in English, you can put whatever voice-over/translation/subtitling you want from a video of all that happening and make people think that it was a chemical attack

and not to mention that the allegation of Assad continuing to use chemical weapons even after Obama had demanded that he turn them over, and even after he agreed to turn them over (which I'm sure was somewhat of a surprise), and even after it was shown that he was complying with the hand-over plan, was completely ridiculous

Libya voluntarily ended their nuclear program and the US attacked anyway. Iraq voluntarily ended their NBC programs and the US attacked anyway. Iran voluntarily ended their nuclear program and the US is keeping them in a stranglehold anyway. Syria voluntarily turned over their chemical weapons after the first alleged attack, and then they make up another one anyway just to try and make the war criminal tag stick because they didn't think he was going to do it? it's bullshit

___

anyway here's some content:

Do I see epstein in that picture too?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fiend posted:

If I had a large geneology database and not moral quandaries, what could I enable? Someone with deep pockets and needs the ability to find an exact tissue type for a rich client with a failing organ?

I am thinking either a geneological matchmaking service (find a mate who will improve your bloodline!) or a DNA background check but for disease risk so that insurers can price in increases to bad DNA.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

there are 1,000,000+ terrible ways to monetize eugenics

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Free cuppy tea

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

can a non US citizen submit a FOI request to the US government, i am chasing something thread pertinent

I'll file the FOIAs for you, if you want.

Your podcast really helped to break my Dad's brain so it is the least I can do.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

ha, thanks, glad he likes it. as long as it won't put you on a fed shitlist somewhere, that would be a big help. i will PM you tomorrow i'm still skimming this FBI doc that made me ask. atm i don't know if it's something they would even talk about, it says this...issue...is "secret level" as of the writing of this report in 1992/3 so it may still be designated as such.

I don't have PMs. I'll send you an email to your podcast email though.

I am probably on a list anyway for having sent in FOIA requests about "LF tried to kill a president" stuff.

Edit: I just sent an email to your gmail account! This probably won't be just one FOIA, but a bunch of them as we try to get around the footdragging and intentional misunderstanding on behalf of the FBI/whoever.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Oct 26, 2020

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Happy Thread posted:

That was you? Do you have a response to the claim that's floating around that your FOIA didn't work / turned up zero results, not because the secret service visit didn't happen---but because of the idea that the Feds uncharitably misinterpret every detail you request unless you use the exact magic wording they're looking for? Possible or no? Curious to hear if your take on it --- the difference determines whether LF's shutdown was a false flag or not.

That indeed was me. Had Lowtax not already been outed as massive liar, I wouldn't have shared the results of the FOIA request because goons would have flooded in from everywhere to denigrate other goons and defend lowtax, as happened anyway.

The Feds are known for intentionally misinterpreting FOIA requests, and I recognize that short of a lawsuit there is nothing that will be definitive proof, but people do submit FOIA requests all the time and do get answers. Even crazily worded and misspelled FOIA requests.

Significantly, I haven't seen any of the people who claimed the FOIA requests were bad and useless giving other wording or advice. I have had people say that the FOIA to the Secret Service was stupid and bad because the records would be with the FBI. I filed a FOIA request with the FBI too and when that came back with "no records," the response from the crowd was that I had fumbled it again.

I think the people, of which there are many, who enjoy the story of "LF got the SS called on Lowtax four times," are committed to the story being true rather than just another story. You also have plenty of overlap with the people who like to attack CSPAM/leftist forums with "well which forum got the SS called on lowtax," and that is a cudgel too valuable to drop without protest.

This goon might have a better perspective than me though:

Shageletic posted:

i worked in a foia search type office. Depends, but the person working it (pulling tapes, docs, emails, etc), who's inevitably an attorney, tries to do their best attempt at fulfilling what they think the person meant even if it wasn't precisely uttered.

The rub really is the amount of effort to do it. If its more than computer search and you have to start pulling files from another office, yeah there's gonna be alot of slack.

Thats why good journalists and expensive NGOs harass FOIA offices, and have the exact extension of the relevant privacy officer.

And the more times you bother an office, the more likely they'll have you on a list metaphorically called "JUST DO WHAT THEY SAY, THEYRE loving ANNOYING".

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

also I tried to call the Secret Service to ask about my FOIA but it went to their voicemail box and the box was full

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

Plenty, because the more important part of the Epstein scandal is that it shows the existence of extremely widespread, international blackmail rings that have kept massive dirt on politicians at the very highest levels for years, that are capable of assassinating a dude in the middle of the most secure facility in America and either framing the entire US justice system under it's nose or have compromised it so much it is indistinguishable, and are so adept at propaganda that even in a deeply divided electorate that will go rabid over the most bland poo poo on both sides as evidence of high crimes and misdemeanors to "hah hah funny meme" and a blatantly fake conspiracy right in the public eye.

There is an international cabal/blackmail ring that has ruled the world to the degree of being able to largely subvert popular democracy, blackmail and kill Presidents, and they do it through blackmail. When they killed Kennedy (tbh given what seems to be their ultimate reasoning I don't entirely blame them), we at least got a Church commission out of it. This time around, they've increased their propaganda and subversion game to the point where we get a Netflix propaganda doc, Q anon, and what seems like the entire population of "Western democracy" citizens are so hyped up on whatever dopamine hit they get from acting exactly like you are in this thread, that most people never think to ask themselves who Epstein's customers were and have turned the entire mess into another Red vs Blue yell fest.

This poo poo matters and is utterly relevant because, unlike Wayfair, Hunter Biden getting hacked really happened. How Biden himself responds to that, and how the supposedly democratic institutions of the press (that's spent the last four years shrieking about Trump's threat to their journalistic integrity) handle that is highly relevant to the Epstein matter, because as tragic as the Epstein poo poo is for the victims, there are millions of kids abused every single day in this world. Epstein matters because of the politics and what it reveals about how the world is really governed.

Watching it happen in realtime is pretty instructive to how the Epstein poo poo is going to go down/get covered up, for another thing. They're in the same superset of "hidden camera blackmail used to control 'elected' politicians", and which the media will absolutely dislocate their loving spines trying to evade ever framing in that way on any level. The point of the Epstein Affair is not that it's child sexual abuse, because that's tragic but also happens to millions of kids every day whose abusers and traffickers are nobodies, it matters because it's high level blackmail and the apparatus of state being comprimised by that blackmail and very often used to cover it up. There is no level higher than "potentially the President of the United States" when it comes to blackmail except maybe President of Russia, and there's not much higher level of blackmail than "ignored child abuse and incest in his own family" and "tried to be sneaky about taking bribes from foreign nationals". Even if it is nothing, how the factionalized press responds to it and how all this "oops we lost it oh now we didn't oh we're just dropping it" and the rationales everyone gives for all of that are relevant.

Epstein = hidden camera blackmail used to subvert and control the highest echelons of (public) power in supposedly democratic society = Hunter Biden.

The only way it is irrelevant is if Joe Biden had the balls to actually spill everything out on the table and eliminate it from contention, Caesar and Pompeia style. He doesn't, and after four years of him and every other Democrat shrieking about Trump's threat to a free press and him personally shouting "malarkey!" and "how dare you!", it tells you a lot about what decades of this poo poo has done to our society that absolutely no one seems to think about what having such an obvious point of leverage over the President actually means in terms of national security. It's not "adjacent" to Epstein in any way, it's identical. Clinton's point of leverage was his dick, Biden's is his image and his family's image and the peasantry daring to question why his crackhead son got a cushy job at a foreign energy company, which is true even if literally everything in those leaks is faked. There's actually very little evidence or testimony that Clinton ever did anything on pedo island, and yet we never heard about it until decades after the fact and he's been caught lying about the extent of his trips and the connection repeatedly. Are you content to just wave that off as like "welp, probably didn't actually stick his dick in a young woman who was at a massive power differential on that occasion", too?

Enshrining attitudes in the public like "family are offlimits" and "anything that's hacked doesn't count" or "it's a crime to have nudes someone doesn't want you to have so oops even if you're whistleblowing the President of the United States running damage control on his crackhead son being a pervert with his teenaged granddaughter I think you will find it is you who are the criminal" and "this story that we are repeatedly asserting over and over in your face is not a story is perfectly normal journalistic practice and a healthy thing for democracy, trying to normalize the public using the media media for opinion as opposed to journalism is not a key feature of a propaganda state", that's all very relevant to Epstein, yes.

I'm going to spend more time reading this later but thank you for this post, I appreciate it.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think I've tried this tack, and the general feeling I get in response is that MKUltra is ancient history, so it doesn't apply to today, and where's the PROOF that Epstein is a CIA op? They cover their tracks more thoroughly these days, and have successfully portrayed themselves as a benign government agency that provides "intelligence". Are there recent, fairly clear examples of the CIA meddling in democracy, here or abroad, or terrorizing individuals, especially if they're innocent? I'm trying to convince libs here.

Hmm, writing off MKUltra as ancient history is an admission that the End of History has arrived. I don't think much progress will be made in changing the mind of someone who has bought into that notion, but if you want something more recent, the investigation and strangeness of The Finders might begin to plant a few seeds of doubt.

There are also things like Manuel Noriega being a CIA asset, smuggling drugs to finance terrorists, and CIA involvement in torture and secret prisons, but I don't think any of those will be decisively seen as "bad."

bedpan has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Nov 28, 2020

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

So this thread just believes QAnon is real and the CIA just did a coup, right?

Because that's what y'all sound like.

FDR assassinated Wiley Post.

Handicap parking spaces are invasion points for the UN Army.

The CIA funds its secret operations with the Kosher food inspection tax.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah sorry there's a shitload of wwg1g1wgwg

My bad y'all. Russian Google is just filled with children in bathing suits.

And I also know from personal experience that you can change the scripting on a site so it shows whatever you want, take a screenshot and send it to your insurance QAnon Twitter account.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm beginning to think QAnon is a genuine social manipulation scheme. Spy or 4chan IDK. gently caress I hate the internet.

Wasabi the J posted:

Ok but what did that have to do with the xfiles?

Like they just took all that hokey poo poo and gave it a narrative.

I have a lot of luck trolling the QAnon trolls by just savaging 4chan and making fun of that kinda crowd because surprise, it's just an elaborate prank/op that only gained traction through the chan boards.

My running theory so far is that Q poo poo was started by someone like Steve Bannon or the other techno fascists in Trump's circle. There's no shortage of social engineers on the far right especially in the anonymous posting boards; going back 15 years, 4chan had some similar ARGs that remind me of Q posts, including the ciphers and tripcodes, and some of those games spanned months.

Whatever it's evolved into, I can't say. Plenty of important people benefit by sowing doubt about the government especially in regard to high profile pedophilia and fraud cases, and I can't think of who benefits more than Trump and his cronies, who've been implicated in this since day one.

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a QAnon thing.

Wasabi the J posted:

Is this q anon poo poo?

Wasabi the J posted:

What if they're all monsters?

And honestly I buy beau's argument. The sex offender poo poo sticks. Jury trials against billionaires don't.

Again, welcome back Cuppy. Always good to have a closet QAnon.

Wasabi the J posted:

And that's exactly what the QAnon poo poo was tailor made to pander to.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

From a central bank perspective, having 50 billion of your paper currency vanish is a good thing because it is like 50 billion in free money.

The system is functioning as designed.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

The coolest thing the CIA did was paradrop tons of ex-nazis into eastern bloc countries where they got immediately captures and sent back the message "send more dudes" before they got executed

the message was "send more dudes" and "send more money" and "send more equipment"

CIA financed a whole bunch of east bloc intelligence services through captured cash

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

is there a name for that operation and a wiki article I can read?

I'll look around for it.

Off the top of my head, the attempts to deliver agents to Albania were unsuccessful and bloody. And it was the Polish secret police that got themselves funded through captured cash.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nut posted:

newest is that Warner was a computer expert who feared 5g was being used to spy on Americans lol

well he wasn't wrong

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

crimers gonna crime

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

R. Kelly has lots of vocal defenders among the rich and famous. The revelations about this character and conduct have done seemingly little to make his peers dislike him.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A whole lot of schemes and intelligence programs existed before PROMIS, but it was PROMIS that linked all of them together

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

I just assume the CIA-aligned forces destroyed it.

gh0stpinballa might know more but it looks like the seed bank's contents were saved.

then taken out of the country never to return again to syria.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

One day some goons going to post something on here that puts all the threadgoers in the cia kill list

bedpan posted:

EARCH, 355 ML, Adriatic, Goldman, Ionosphere, Mole, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, Emerson, Tzvrif, SDIS, T2S2, STTC, DNR, NADDIS, NFLIS, CFD, BLU-114/B, quarter, Cornflower, Daisy, Egret, Iris, JSOTF, Hollyhock, Jasmine, Juile, Vinnell, B.D.M., Sphinx, Stephanie, Reflection, Spoke, Talent, Trump, FX, FXR, IMF, POCSAG, rusers, Covert Video, Intiso, r00t, lock picking, Beyond Hope, LASINT, csystems, .tm, passwd, 2600 Magazine, JUWTF, Competitor, EO, Chan, Pathfinders, SEAL Team 3, JTF, Nash, ISSAA, B61-11, Alouette, executive, Event Security, Mace, Cap-Stun, stakeout, ninja, ASIS, ISA, EOD, Oscor, Tarawa, COSMOS-2224, COSTIND, hit word, hitword, Hitwords, Regli, VBS, Leuken-Baden, number key, Zimmerwald, DDPS, GRS, AGT. AMME, ANDVT, Type I, Type II, VFCT, VGPL, WHCA, WSA, WSP, WWABNCP, ZNI1, FSK, FTS2000, GOSIP, GOTS, SACS STU-III, PRF, PMSP, PCMT, I&A, JRSC, ITSDN, Keyer, KG-84C, KWT-46, KWR-46, KY-75, KYV-5, LHR, PARKHILL, LDMX, LEASAT, SNS, SVN, TACSAT, TRANSEC, DONCAF, EAM, DSCS, DSNET1, DSNET2, DSNET3, ECCM, EIP, EKMS, EKMC, DDN, DDP, Merlin, NTT, SL-1, Rolm, TIE, Tie-fighter, PBX, SLI, NTT, MSCJ, MIT, 69, RIT, Time, MSEE, Cable & Wireless, CSE, SUW, J2, Embassy, ETA, Porno, Fax, finks, Fax encryption, white noise, Fernspah, MYK, GAFE, forcast, import, rain, tiger, buzzer, N9, pink noise, CRA, M.P.R.I., top secret, Mossberg, 50BMG, Macintosh Security, Macintosh Internet Security, OC3, Macintosh Firewalls, Unix Security, VIP Protection, SIG, sweep, Medco, TRD, TDR, Z, sweeping, SURSAT, 5926, TELINT, Audiotel, Harvard, 1080H, SWS, Asset, Satellite imagery, force, NAIAG, Cypherpunks, NARF, 127, Coderpunks, TRW, remailers, replay, redheads, RX-7, explicit, FLAME, J-6, Pornstars, AVN, Playboy, ISSSP, Anonymous, W, Sex, chaining, codes, Nuclear, 20, subversives, SLIP, toad, fish, data havens, unix, c, a, b, d, SUBACS, the, Elvis, quiche, DES, 1*, N-ISDN, NLSP, OTAR, OTAT, OTCIXS, MISSI, MOSAIC, NAVCOMPARS, NCTS, NESP, MILSATCOM, AUTODIN, BLACKER, C3I, C4I, CMS, CMW, CP, SBU, SCCN, SITOR, SHF/DOD, Finksburg MD, Link 16, LATA, NATIA, NATOA, sneakers, UXO, (), OC-12, counterintelligence, Shaldag, sport, NASA, TWA, DT, gtegsc, nowhere, .ch, hope, emc, industrial espionage, SUPIR, PI, TSCI, spookwords, industrial intelligence, H.N.P., SUAEWICS, Juiliett Class Submarine, Locks, qrss, loch, 64 Vauxhall Cross, Ingram Mac-10, wwics, sigvoice, ssa, E.O.D., SEMTEX, penrep, racal, OTP, OSS, Siemens, RPC, Met, CIA-DST, INI, watchers, keebler, contacts, Blowpipe, BTM, CCS, GSA, Kilo Class, squib, primacord, RSP, Z7, Becker, Nerd, fangs, Austin, no|d, Comirex, GPMG, Speakeasy, humint, GEODSS, SORO, M5, BROMURE, ANC, zone, SBI, DSS, S.A.I.C., Minox, Keyhole, SAR, Rand Corporation, Starr, Wackenhutt, EO, burhop, Wackendude, mol, Shelton, 2E781, F-22, 2010, JCET, cocaine, Vale, IG, Kosovo, Dake, 36,800, Hillal, Pesec, Hindawi, GGL, NAICC, CTU, botux, Virii, CCC, ISPE, CCSC, Scud, SecDef, Magdeyev, VOA, Kosiura, Small Pox, Tajik, +=, Blacklisted 411, TRDL, Internet Underground, BX, XS4ALL, wetsu, muezzin, Retinal Fetish, WIR, Fetish, FCA, Yobie, forschung, emm, ANZUS, Reprieve, NZC-332, edition, cards, mania, 701, CTP, CATO, Phon-e, Chicago Posse, NSDM, l0ck, beanpole, spook, keywords, QRR, PLA, TDYC, W3, CUD, CdC, Weekly World News, Zen, World Domination, Dead, GRU, M72750, Salsa, 7, Blowfish, Gorelick, Glock, Ft. Meade, NSWT, press-release, WISDIM, burned, Indigo, wire transfer, e-cash, Bubba the Love Sponge, Enforcers, Digicash, zip, SWAT, Ortega, PPP, NACSE, crypto-anarchy, AT&T, SGI, SUN, MCI, Blacknet, ISM, JCE, Middleman, KLM, Blackbird, NSV, GQ360, X400, Texas, jihad, SDI, BRIGAND, Uzi, Fort Meade, *&, gchq.gov.uk, supercomputer, bullion, 3, NTTC, Blackmednet, :, Propaganda, ABC, Satellite phones, IWIS, Planet-1, ISTA, rs9512c, Jiang Zemin, South Africa, Sergeyev, Montenegro, Toeffler, Rebollo, sorot, Yucca Mountain, FARC, Toth, Xu Yongyue, Bach, Razor, AC, cryptanalysis, nuclear, 52 52 N - 03 03 W, Morgan, Canine, GEBA, INSCOM, MEMEX, Stanley, FBI, Panama, fissionable, Sears Tower, NORAD, Delta Force, SEAL, virtual, WASS, WID, Dolch, secure shell, screws, Black-Ops, O/S, Area51, SABC, basement, ISWG, $@, data-haven, NSDD, black-bag, rack, TEMPEST, Goodwin, rebels, ID, MD5, IDEA, garbage, market, beef, Stego, ISAF, unclassified, Sayeret Tzanhanim, PARASAR, Gripan, pirg, curly, Taiwan, guest, utopia, NSG, orthodox, CCSQ, Alica, SHA, Global, gorilla, Bob, UNSCOM, Fukuyama, Manfurov, Kvashnin, Marx, Abdurahmon, snullen, Pseudonyms, MITM, NARF, Gray Data, VLSI, mega, Leitrim, Yakima, NSES, Sugar Grove, WAS, Cowboy, Gist, 8182, Gatt, Platform, 1911, Geraldton, UKUSA, veggie, XM, Parvus, NAVSVS, 3848, Morwenstow, Consul, Oratory, Pine Gap, Menwith, Mantis, DSD, BVD, 1984, blow out, BUDS, WQC, Flintlock, PABX, Electron, Chicago Crust, e95, DDR&E, 3M, KEDO, iButton, R1, erco, Toffler, FAS, RHL, K3, Visa/BCC, SNT, Ceridian, STE, condor, CipherTAC-2000, Etacs, Shipiro, ssor, piz, fritz, KY, 32, Edens, Kiwis, Kamumaruha, DODIG, Firefly, HRM, Albright, Bellcore, rail, csim, NMS, 2c, FIPS140-1, CAVE, E-Bomb, CDMA, Fortezza, 355ml, ISSC, cybercash, NAWAS, government, NSY, hate, speedbump, joe, illuminati, BOSS, Kourou, Misawa, Morse, HF, P415, ladylove, filofax, Gulf, lamma, Unit 5707, Sayeret Mat'Kal, Unit 669, Sayeret Golani, Lanceros, Summercon, NSADS, president, ISFR, freedom, ISSO, walburn, Defcon VI, DC6, Larson, P99, HERF pipe-bomb, 2.3 Oz., cocaine, $, imapct, Roswell, ESN, COS, E.T., credit card, b9, fraud, ST1, assasinate, virus, ISCS, ISPR, anarchy, rogue, mailbomb, 888, Chelsea, 1997, Whitewater, MOD, York, plutonium, William Gates, clone, BATF, SGDN, Nike, WWSV, Atlas, IWWSVCS, Delta, TWA, Kiwi, PGP 2.6.2., PGP 5.0i, PGP 5.1, siliconpimp, SASSTIXS, IWG, Lynch, 414, Face, Pixar, IRIDF, NSRB, eternity server, Skytel, Yukon, Templeton, Johohonbu, LUK, Cohiba, Soros, Standford, niche, ISEP, ISEC, 51, H&K, USP, ^, sardine, bank, EUB, USP, PCS, NRO, Red Cell, NSOF, DC7, Glock 26, snuffle, Patel, package, ISI, INR, INS, GRU, RUOP, GSS, NSP, SRI, Ronco, Armani, BOSS, Chobetsu, FBIS, BND, SISDE, FSB, BfV, IB, froglegs, JITEM, SADF, advise, TUSA, LITE, PKK, HoHoCon, SISMI, ISG, FIS, MSW, Spyderco, UOP, SSCI, NIMA, HAMASMOIS, SVR, SIN, advisors, SAP, Monica, OAU, PFS, Aladdin, AG, chameleon man, Hutsul, CESID, Bess, rail gun, .375, Peering, CSC, Tangimoana Beach, Commecen, Vanuatu, Kwajalein, LHI, DRM, GSGI, DST, MITI, JERTO, SDF, Koancho, Blenheim, Rivera, Kyudanki, varon, 310, 17, 312, NB, CBM, CTP, Sardine, SBIRS, jaws, SGDN, ADIU, DEADBEEF, IDP, IDF, Halibut, SONANGOL, Flu, &, Loin, PGP 5.53, meta, Faber, SFPD, EG&G, ISEP, blackjack, Fox, Aum, AIEWS, AMW, RHL, Baranyi, WORM, MP5K-SD, 1071, WINGS, cdi, VIA, DynCorp, UXO, Ti, WWSP, WID, osco, Mary, honor, Templar, THAAD, package, CISD, ISG, BIOLWPN, JRA, ISB, ISDS, chosen, LBSD, van, schloss, secops, DCSS, DPSD, LIF, J-Star, PRIME, SURVIAC, telex, Analyzer, embassy, Golf, B61-7, Maple, Tokyo, ERR, SBU, Threat, JPL, Tess, SE, Alex, EPL, SPINTCOM, FOUO, ISS-ADP, Merv, Mexico, SUR, blocks, SO13, Rojdykarna, RSOC, USS Banner, S511, 20755, airframe, jya.com, Furby, PECSENC, football, Agfa, 3210, Crowell, moore, 510, OADR, Smith, toffee, FIS, N5P6, EuroFed, SP4, shelter, Crypto AG Croatian nuclear FBI colonel plutonium Ortega Waco, Texas Panama CIA DES jihad fissionable quiche terrorist World Trade Center assassination DES NORAD Delta Force Waco, Texas SDI explosion Serbian Panama Uzi Ft. Meade SEAL Team 6 Honduras PLO NSA terrorist Ft. Meade strategic supercomputer $400 million in gold bullion quiche Honduras BATF colonel Treasury domestic disruption SEAL Team 6 class struggle smuggle M55 M51 Physical Security Division Room 2A0120, OPS 2A building 688-6911(b), 963-3371(s). Security Awareness Division (M56) Field Security Division (M52) Al Amn al-Askari Supreme Assembly of the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SAIRI) Binnenlandse Veiligheidsdienst Komitet Gosudarstvennoi Bezopasnosti Federalnaia sluzhba besopasnosti GCHQ MI5

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

after reading abt PROMIS and epstein, i became interested in what i believe felix biederman called the melancholy of the deep state when he was talking abt MGS. where the la li lu le lo's plans become so absurdly complicated and nonsensical that it's unclear even to them what their goals actually are after a certain point. they hide the truth right in the open by drowning themselves and us in information and errata, and they have deranged themselves and society in the process. feels appropriate when thinking thru the way that real world shadow powers have warped our reality.

The PROMIS saga seems to be the #1 example of this type of strategy of limited hangout/disinformation/information campaign. Researching PROMIS is really difficult because there is just so much stuff. People in every continent have poured out entire lives researching how PROMIS impacted their corner of the globe, only to discover that they were just a small fraction of the overall. The FBI, NSA, CIA, US Justice Department, US bankruptcy courts, and more have released ream after ream of PROMIS connected documents, as have foreign countries and their services, and despite the wealth of information, and the many investigations over the years, it seems like we know less, rather than more about PROMIS. The crown jewels of the program could easily be in one of the documents, or be deduced from a handful of documents, but we will never know because processing all the information and identifying the connections is impossible. PROMIS really is an example of "the more you know, the less you understand," and describing it in any brevity to normal people is essentially impossible. You start to talk about 80s computer programs, CIA banks, pedophile rings, dope dealers, triple and quadruple agents, osama bin laden, actual and theorized intelligence operations, fascist stay-behind networks, etc. and there is still so much more to tell. By this time, your audience has long since written you off as a crank and the more you try and convince them that "no, this is the thread that links it all together," the more they begin to look for the door.

Funnily enough, the tool that would help anyone actually make a coherent narriative out of all of this is. . .a piece of software just like PROMIS.

Real hurthling! posted:

do we know how PROMIS became compromised into a spy tool and specifically what info a target country would put into it that makes it so valuable to the cia?
like i got the whole beginnning and ending of the plot but the middle part is still ???
How does seeing a database of court cases in Russia help win the cold war? is it like "oh this guy was arrested and let off with no penalty he must be a state agent" kind of stuff? or was the backdoor used to infiltrate broader computer systems?

The largest deficit I've seen in all of the PROMIS research and reporting to date is that no one ever even attempts to sketch out what PROMIS was in practice and how it operated. The "middle part" is crossed out and the phrase "spy poo poo" written in and the matter skipped. Privately, I've been trying to answer this question recently. I've heard about PROMIS since the early 90s mentioned in connection to everything under the sun but as for how it operated and why it was so useful, aside from vague generalities that is, no one speaks.

There is a mundane beginning and answer to this problem: normal people, and the media specifically, neither understand nor communicate the technical aspects of PROMIS. Ordinally, you might be able to skim over this as just more spy stuff, as in the case of listening devices or satellites, but PROMIS was a computer program designed to address certain computing challenges and can't as easily be set aside.

To answer your questions perhaps, first step back before INSLAW became entangled in PROMIS, to one of the earlier mentions I've seen of the program: a 1974/75 manual from the NSA discussing how to operate a system called "Product Related on-Line Management Information System - PROMIS, but for the NSA in the 1970s. I don't bring this up to then say "OMG NSA SPOOK OP FROM THE START" but to highlight a really important point often missed in the discussion of INSLAW PROMIS: that PROMIS was a public domain software platform available to anyone with a need to manage and search multiple databases. INSLAW was contracted to modify and install PROMIS for the justice department, the FBI uses a version of PROMIS called FROMIS (supposedly stolen from INSLAW, but that is another story), health record software is called "Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System," school districts have a version called "Public Records Online Management Information System," the Australian Federal Police use something called "Police Realtime Online Management Information System," Head Start, yes the preschool people use "Program Resources and Outcomes Management Information System," and the list goes on and on.

Anyone that had "big data" (ugh) needs would use PROMIS-style software to manage and manipulate all the datastores. PROMIS was a known software platform, which is why it was the Justice Department who originally asked INSLAW for a support and modification contract, and not the other way around. The Justice Department needed a tool to manage their cases and the many pieces of information connected to the cases and they started with the best option circa 1970: PROMIS but as "Prosecutors Management Information System," and INSLAW had the initial contract to service the needs of the Justice Department.

Something that both the Justice Department and INSLAW recognized even before the contract was signed is that the rise of 32-bit "minicomputers" in the early 1980s made a colossal amount of processing power available for a comparatively bargain price. A 32-bit minicomputer could fit in a closet or next to a desk; a 32-bit mainframe computer occupied an entire room. INSLAW was commissioned, as far as I can judge, to install a 16-bit version on some available systems but to also develop an upgraded, super duper slick version of PROMIS but for the new 32-bit machines. They did both of these tasks, but in the latter case, they were far too inspired and masterful for their own good.

There is a lot more to say and one day I might type it all up!

bedpan has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Feb 4, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

question as someone who thinks 9/11 was an inside job: why dont they do it again this capitol stuff is weak poo poo

answer: 9/11 worked because it was planned and implemented by foreigners who cared a god drat about something more than a paycheck and an entry on their resume. 1/6 was a bunch of imbeciles, provocateurs, and literal handled confidential agents and informants who could never fundamentally grasp that what they needed to do after the legislature fled in panic was either burn the capitol building down or establish a new government. No one walked to the capitol that day expecting success.

The guy carrying around the speaker of the houses' podium? The "insurrection" was over in that moment because no one acclaimed him "speaker of the house." Q-anon shaman? When he was in the senate chamber standing at the platform he should have called himself senate majority leader and started handing out seats.

Instead, they smoked some grass, got some selfies, clogged a toilet, and stole AOCs shoes.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nut posted:

how is this real life

Pupil Records Online Management Information System
Public Records Optical Management Information System
Property Market Information Service
Proposal Management Information System
Project Management Information System
PRactice-Oriented Multi-level perspective on Innovation and Scaling

and on and on and on

I can't find it now, but I would swear up and down there was a PROMIS for pork futures traders called something like "Pork Resources Online Management Information System."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nut posted:

this is horrible

His career will never recover.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

500excf type r posted:

I thought I was out of the loop because I couldn't figure out what the software actually did. I am glad no one actually knows but also not glad and extremely curious.

For all the descriptions of PROMIS, all the speculation, all the reporting, no one describes the experience of using PROMIS except in the most vague and general terms; instead "to track people" or "espionage" or "surveillance" stand in and PROMIS as software program fades and seems to be more like a magician's magic hat. PROMIS wasn't magic though, it was a very real thing and was used in many very real applications across the globe. While you can talk about the INSLAW Octopus without discussing some of the finer points of PROMIS, parts of the story will be much more difficult to grasp and important questions, like how and why PROMIS spread, will always be left unanswered.

Then again, I wouldn't be the first person to look into the Octopus and think that they had an original way to consider the story.

taqueso posted:

Thanks, that was a bunch of good background

Appreciate it.

I'll continue from where I left off at in my earlier post: before INSLAW came onto the scene, PROMIS was a known platform for managing and reviewing databases. Importantly, the databases you feed into PROMIS are arbitrary, PROMIS can just as readily be used to track dissidents as it is to maintain a bank's account records or to tag map coordinates. This is why the Justice Department knew of it and also, once INSLAW comes into the picture, why the state intelligence apparatus so quickly grasped INSLAW's edition of PROMIS.

A handful of things came together to make INSLAW's PROMIS such a fantastic tool for the intelligence services:

1. Release of 32-bit minicomputers, which gave a user a lot of power compared to previous generations of computers and for a very good price. PROMIS was a killer app for this platform.
2. Prior existence of digital databases and datastores from 30 years of computing; any edition of PROMIS could only ever be as revelatory as the data that was fed into the system. PROMIS couldn't do anything with a card catalogue of personal details - not digital - but could readily digest past, current, and future information.
3. An expanded network of connected computers (literally the internet) in 1980 as compared to 1975. Both legitimate and illegitimate usage PROMIS could be done remotely and interact with a wide variety of other systems.
4. INSLAW made a great piece of software. By every single account, INSLAW's PROMIS was really, really cool. It was fast, it could handle huge quantities of data, it had an actual user interface (with colors even!), and it could run all sorts of queries across the databases, identify connections, generate reports, and more.

This combination of factors, and many others, all contributed to the intelligence services identifying PROMIS as a tool with enormous potential. At the moment, I don't think INSLAW was setup from the start to develop a piece of software that would be stolen, I think actors within and connected to the justice department encountered PROMIS, saw the value, and communicated with the group who stole PROMIS. INSLAW had done their job all too well and a treasure like this couldn't just go unexploited.

inconsequential posted:

One of the weirdest details about the Finders case to me is that they had portable computers that could connect to the internet and were in constant correspondence in 1986. That had to be expensive. The non-conspiracy take pretty much has to be that the founder is just this rich, connected rear end in a top hat loving around for fun but without ill intent which I guess is possible but doesn't seem likely.

As far as I can gather from the released documents, the computers used by the Finders were portable in the sense that they could be picked up, carried, and deployed elsewhere. The guy who found one of the Finders' computers in a phone booth had to take it home and plug it in before he could do anything with the device. The computers were expensive though, portable versions even more so, and it would take a trained user to use the machines like the Finders are reported to have done. This happens to line up with one of the possible roles of the finders: they literally operated a company who trained the CIA and other government branches how to use computers. The released documents also reference a time that the Finders were suspected of what seems like hacking or tampering with the United States Department of Agriculture. Who knows what the hell they were doing though.

The Finders training spooks how to use PROMIS and hack computers is a realistic proposition.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Feb 7, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

taqueso posted:

The impression I got from reading the finders docs (which was awhile ago so might be wrong here) was that the remote operatives had something roughly like a c64 or trs80 and could connect to a central BBS type system with offline mail reading. Pretty high tech for the time but not out of reach for hacker types.

I think the computer was identified as a TSR model 3, which would make it portable and able to do all the things you've mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

isn't the difference here that there was central funding to provide standard equipment to a group of actors who were already making moves in concert using older methods?

like, sure, a group of nerds back then could get this stuff done but why? to do a remote d&d campaign?

it was a cheap and effective way to communicate securely and quickly.