Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Avynte posted:

you've seen how defensive this forum gets about magic. it'll believe anything

for the record it's chaos magick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Epstein loved khashoggi, she's just honoring his name

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

is there any truth to/evidence of the office of naval intelligence functioning as a paragovt organization either in service of the cia or as a similarly independent body? i swear i heard that somewhere but can't recall details

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

suede is leather :mrgw:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

OutOfPrint posted:

I was a psych student 10 years ago and evopsych was a joke then.

I'm pretty deep into the paranormal and I think it's a loving joke.

Hit me with any good paranormal resources you like! I've been listening to mysterious universe for a long time but i finally decided to look up the two hosts and found one of them is a conservative libertarian, so lol kinda done with them

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Helsing posted:

"La Familia Guy"

Aw crap, this is just like that time the mexican drug cartel made me aid and abet a canadian mass murderer *cut to zany clip of a mass murderer terrorizing a neighborhood*

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

nah if anything it went the other way. Gioffre said that she didn't see Trump being a pedophile.

Wow... I can't believe Virginia Giuffre is working for Russia...

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Knowing the quality of the scientists and engineers I know at military places like Honeywell, Northrup or Ratheon vs the quality of people I know at companies like 3M or Intel I don't believe this for a second. Even given the that later two companies are fully involved in the MIC too, there still isn't a secret well of military magic. If anything it's the opposite is true that the military is 17 years behind because of the long development process of everything and the instance of relying on known designs.
I think the typical rejoinder to this is that there's echelons of mil science and engineering not accessible to the public. People that are recruited and then disappeared into their system that can never be trusted again. Of course, this leads right into people like bob lazar and his stories, so who knows if anyone with a story of secret military tech can be trusted. For my part I'd rather entertain the crazies and hear zany stories than believe there's no one super competent at the wheel of the MIC monolith

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just absolutely deranged comments section in this vid

these can't be real living humans, right?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'll see your solar plexus clown glider and raise chris chan=smiley face killer and runescape new york city (.nyc)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ghislaine Modsknew*

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

we're all having a good time here but please don't use "junk DNA" as a biological version of unobtanium. even the phrasing "junk DNA" is based on misunderstanding.

i was gonna make a bit of an effortpost on that, but yeah. that about sums it up. as a biologist it sounds like bullshit. additionally i'd add that given what we do know about non-coding dna (including introns, recognition sites, binding sites for promoters, residues that give DNA secondary structure allowing it to be more easily packaged with histones... there's tons more too) we're learning more every day about its functions. opening the door to some secret cabal unlocking special "junk dna" using rituals or whatever is a tacit admission that there's a secret organization of microbiologists that have a level of understanding of genetics that absolutely dwarfs the entire body of human public knowledge. this then begs the question of how this cabal reached these conclusions, which will lead you eventually to either aliens or magic.

it really feels like starting with a conclusion (secret cabal with superpowers unlocked using the mind), then backtracking to a biologically relevant cause based on where our gaps in knowledge are.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Wheeee posted:

not all certainly, but many of the things schizophrenics and apophenia-addled conspiracy theorists talk about begin to make sense when you read them as metaphors being used because the person lacks the knowledge and vocabulary to properly identify or articulate the underlying causes of a pattern that actually does exist

absolutely agreed. i hate coming across as one of those Rational Skeptic Debunker IFL science types because theyre the least interesting most insufferable people in the world, but there's a reason no one in their particular field of scientific study points to the knowledge gaps within their field and declares that's where humankind will find the grand conspiracy. it's because they understand the limits of the thing they're studying. of course, I'll concede this also breeds closemindedness and an inflexible worldview.

I think everyone with a specific expertise, especially when we're talking about the bleeding edge of human understanding, has a responsibility to confront wild claims like junk dna and explain specifically why it can't be literally correct without falling into the trap of assigning malicious intent or stupidity when making those corrections. Because you're right, the unknowns and the facts just beyond our reach can serve as powerful metaphors for all the hosed up phenomena we find with barely any digging at all, as evidenced itt daily. its a trap though to move beyond pointing out those phenomena into explaining how or why without specific concrete evidence or a deep understanding of the subject matter you're using to provide explanation, because you're almost always gonna fall prey to a god of the gaps argument. this goes double if you're prone to conspiratorial and paranoid thinking.

all that said cuppy i love it, please keep doing your thing

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

nut posted:

someone mentioned it before but I think it can be argued that publish-or-perish dynamics in academia enslave most biologists to shirk creativity in favour of an industrial cranking out of papers using the most popular and edgy techniques. It's a safer approach to success in the field than something wholly novel that might not pan out. Those breakthroughs still clearly happen, but it seems pretty rare.

this is true, and it stifles creativity and can lead to investigators being browbeaten into staying in their lane, so to speak, by department heads and deans. i've seen it happen firsthand. if you don't have a concrete and specific path to grant funding and publications at regular intervals, you're out. additionally, even once you strike upon a thing that works, get your funding, and start publishing, you get even more pressure to stick with what you're doing. going off on tangents, even if they're into fertile grounds for research, will most likely be seen as risky behavior. so, it self-selects for the kind of investigators that will prefer to tend to their own garden and build upon methods that already proved successful.

what i'm really hopeful about happening in research is how we're moving toward massive collaboration among big teams. so rather than one investigator writing a publication beginning to end, each lab has their own method of specialty, eg. growing a specific cell line, using a specialized and expensive piece of equipment, etc. projects are then spread among many teams who all pick away at different elements of a larger problem. that's the kind of stuff i'm involved in professionally, and it's really exciting to me. individual labs still have ownership over their techniques, and they still get publications, but it prevents the situations where investigators staring down a gun barrel are forced to choose between tanking their careers and obscuring the limitations or shortcomings of the thing they've built their careers on. All the teams hold each other accountable, and share data openly as they work toward common goals.

please ignore any metaphorical connections between the above information and capitalism

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

and something much more relevant- in the devil's chessboard, talbot talks about how young allen dulles, while working for the cia as a spy in europe, was 100% convinced the protocols of the elders of zion was authentic and took it to his superiors as evidence of a jewish conspiracy

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Marzzle posted:

how would antisemitism promote their interests in Europe? isn’t half the Epstein thing Israel wielding a tremendous amount of influence over US stuff?

what i was referring to regarding allen dulles was before wwii; there was no israel and people like dulles and co were still mulling over what to do about "the jewish problem"

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Helsing posted:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the American electorate to comprehend all its candidates. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of electoralism, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The political sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Marianne Williamson has guessed at the awesome grandeur of the cosmic cycle wherein our elections and the human race form transient incidents. She has hinted at strange survivals in terms which would freeze the blood if not masked by a bland optimism. But it is not from her that there came the single glimpse of forbidden aeons which chills me when I think of it and maddens me when I dream of it. That glimpse, like all dread glimpses of truth, flashed out from an accidental piecing together of separated things—in this case an old newspaper item and the notes of a dead DNC employee. I hope that no one else will accomplish this piecing out; certainly, if I live, I shall never knowingly supply a link in so hideous a chain. I think that Seth Rich, too, intended to keep silent regarding the part he knew, and that he would have destroyed his notes had not sudden death seized him.

:orb:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you read marx and engel you have micro chip on your router

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the milk machine posted:

why do you think I asked you for links? if you don’t want to share that’s fine too

Have you considered go gently caress yourself?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the milk machine posted:

you’re right research is ongoing for covid.

this is a tacit admission pmj was right. we don't understand covid immune response.

also big pharma is perfectly suited to this thread, and by extension, the astroturfing of the anti-vaxx "community"

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Each person has an individual responsibility to read and decide for themselves whether they want to accept any given vaccine or give it to their children rather than mindlessly accept rubber stamps.
i understand where you're coming from but this is not a smart approach to public health

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

nut posted:

If I'm missing anything obvious, lemme know! There are a couple more authors I've heard on Radio War Nerd that I wanted to look into, but I've got enough piled up for now. Also, again thank you this thread for cracking and pinging me to pieces this summer. I'll never be the same xoxoxoxox

Great list! I have some new things to read now. The one glaring omission to me is Family of Secrets by Russ Baker. About the Bush family and their extensive connections, especially to the cia. Goes into a lot of detail about the kennedy assassination.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

That story is an exaggeration and I feel is almost being pumped because it's weak and because it takes further attention away from the Milwaukee house or wherever it was that got burned down after they led people out with bags over their heads. The news blows up the fake stuff and then goes "wow, what a waste of time, it didn't happen here so it's not happening anywhere" while just flat out ignoring the actual transgressions

Even if the tweet is factually correct, the "Things are not only not abnormal, in fact, they are more normal than they have ever been" vibe is bad and should not be the takeaway regarding the current state of child trafficking

agreed, the article feels like it's just shrugging and going, yeah, same as it's ever been. what a pile of poo poo. i mean:

quote:

Finally, when it comes to child sexual exploitation, the problem persists for complicated, heartbreaking reasons that have more to do with the failure of America’s social safety net than the rapaciousness of its criminal sex offenders. In 2016, the Center for Court Innovation published a survey of nearly 1,000 young sex workers in six American cities. The average age at which they had left home was 15. More than half had dropped out of high school, and more than 1 in 3 cisgender female sex workers had children of their own.

that's their thesis in reference to the last part of the preview (the real threats to american children). as in that's the reason we shouldn't worry about traffickers. like, how would young sex workers being extremely at risk not contribute to trafficking?

and that's not even mentioning the think tank they're citing:

wikipedia posted:

The Center, which received an Innovations in American Government Award from the Ford Foundation and Harvard University, was founded in 1996. The Center's first director was John Feinblatt, who went on to serve as a senior advisor to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The Center for Court Innovation grew out of a single experiment in judicial problem solving. The Midtown Community Court was created in 1993 to address low-level offending around Times Square.
nice pedigree and history there. a think tank that grew out of the explicit goal of gentrifying times square by criminalizing being black and poor in public, is funded by the ford foundation, and spawned a bloomberg senior staffer? i'm sure the poor and disadvantaged are at the heart of their mission.

actually, have we talked about the ford foundation? i'm sure that's a fertile topic

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Regulus74 posted:

The point is not that we shouldn't worry about trafficking, the point is that the official anti trafficking line which both parties parrot endlessly is essentially run by NGOs and christian extremists whose only real problem with trafficking is that they aren't the ones doing it.

i wasn't really making a point about whether or not trafficking is worth worrying about, rather I was pointing out the article's framing is disingenuous and hand-wavey. it reads like a matt yglesias take. i generally agree with what you're saying btw- i was nodding towards it in mentioning that think tank the article references.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sleeptalker posted:

It almost certainly wouldn't have avoided the thread being "about" Cuppy for a while, but it could have been more productive, or it could have ended in a less-objectionable ban.

even allowing l.k. this much leeway is too much. when cuppy got all those way over the top punishments, they had already moved over to only posting in that mostly defunct conspiracy thread. and posting with enough self awareness to make it clear they knew they weren't to be posting itt anymore. this thread could be completely free of all this off topic posting, but l.k. hosed it up, seemingly on purpose afaict

it's bullshit, gently caress the mods, free cuppy

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just saw a digital highway billboard for a furniture company (or something?) that read:

Epstein didn't
kill himself....
Over curb appeal

lol

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Was just cruising around g maps seeing what takeout's available out in the boonies near my family and came across this

:thunk:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'd be willing to bet dulles masterminded the whole thing solely because jfk kicked him out of a position from which he assumed he was untouchable. dulles thought very highly of himself and was a petty bitch that loved the drama

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

nut posted:

I dunno how accurate it is of a depiction of Dulles, but after he had a stroke and started fading mentally at the end of his life, Dulles comes across like he very much still thinks that any day now he'll be asked to rejoin the CIA as director

Stop making me liken him to jim lahey in my head

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Mackers posted:

i bet this poo poo started out ironic and then then some whackjobs saw it were and all like "OMFG ANOTHER SEES THE TRUTH I AM VINDICATED"

pretty sad

call your shrink

found a pic of u online

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dont you dare make me explain the joke

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Mackers posted:

lol loving nazis i dont need to explain poo poo to you

die screaming you cunts

Dudes Rock

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ignoring isn't necessarily the best approach because lots of people might take silence for consent/agreement. and sometimes you can egg on psychos like mackers into calling everyone nazis and getting themselves probated. mods acting in good faith are also helped out if theres a consistent backlash against every post a given poster makes.

I dont think this stuff necessarily applies to HELLO LADIES, but fostering more discussion, even if it's "gently caress you, you're wrong and here's how" is better than making GBS threads off an opinion into a void where no one cares.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

holy poo poo that article. they go into detail about how the cuban or russian governments could be to blame, then talk about this

quote:

In Albuquerque, N.M., Air Force scientists sought to beam comprehensible speech into the heads of adversaries. Their novel approach won a patent in 2002, and an update in 2003. Both were assigned to the Air Force secretary, helping limit the idea’s dissemination.

The lead inventor said the research team had “experimentally demonstrated” that the “signal is intelligible.” As for the invention’s uses, an Air Force disclosure form listed the first application as “Psychological Warfare.”

The Navy sought to paralyze. The Frey effect was to induce sounds powerful enough to cause painful discomfort and, if needed, leave targets unable to move. The weapon, the Navy noted, would have a “low probability of fatalities or permanent injuries.”

In a twist, the 2003 contract was awarded to microwave experts who had emigrated to the United States from Russia and Ukraine.

It is unknown if Washington deploys such arms. But the Pentagon built a related weapon known as the Active Denial System, hailing it in a video. It fires an invisible beam meant to deter mobs and attackers with fiery sensations.
so the armed forces were known to have been experimenting with this tech to literally beam speech directly into people's brains and cause pain great enough to physically disable
then it goes on to talk about how this started right after trump won and his response to the attacks

quote:

As a candidate, Donald Trump faulted the Obama administration’s normalization policy as “a very weak agreement” and threatened to scrap it on reaching the White House. Weeks after he won the election, in late November 2016, the American embassy in Havana found itself battling a mysterious crisis.
In September 2017, the Trump administration warned travelers away from Cuba and ordered home roughly half the diplomatic personnel.

Rex W. Tillerson, who was then the secretary of state, said the embassy’s staff had been targeted deliberately. But he refrained from blaming Cuba, and federal officials held out the possibility that a third party may have been responsible.

In early October, President Trump expelled 15 Cuban diplomats, producing a chill between the nations. Administration critics said the White House was using the health issue as a pretext to end President Barack Obama’s reconciliation policy.
and the article never mentions the possibility that american intelligence could have done this themselves to make sure we had a pretense to get cold with cuba again. why spell it out so clearly? anyone not already brainwashed with the RUSSIA poo poo is gonna make this connection if they read the whole article. why not at least try to "dismiss claims" or whatever they usually do?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

The thread loves it's crazy pants sources and treating them as gospel.

lol are you seriously trying to get a little jab in about cuppy again? you're weird dude

please bring on the crazy sources, i'm going to memorize them into verses of song. after the end of the world i will pass them down to my children, and theirs to them

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

nut posted:

v good post grad, and I’m not just saying that because yesterday I was too lazy to read the grayzone article

super good! this is the thread content i crave

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

:itwaspoo:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

If you want a diversion to this sort of history, I highly recommend two things.
High Weirdness by Erik Davis. Brilliant book on RAW, Terence Mckenna and PKD.
Mike Judge's podcast on the CIA, 1960s/1970s counterculture, discordianism, frigging Lee Harvey Oswald, Thomas Pynchon and such.

If you can't be hosed reading High Weirdness then I'd recommend select episodes of Erik Davis' defunct podcast: Expanding Mind.

wupwup

Thanks, just added that erik davis book to my queue. i just finished graham hancock's latest book and am now craving more psychedelic spirituality/esotericism

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

If you want a diversion to this sort of history, I highly recommend two things.
High Weirdness by Erik Davis. Brilliant book on RAW, Terence Mckenna and PKD.
Mike Judge's podcast on the CIA, 1960s/1970s counterculture, discordianism, frigging Lee Harvey Oswald, Thomas Pynchon and such.

If you can't be hosed reading High Weirdness then I'd recommend select episodes of Erik Davis' defunct podcast: Expanding Mind.

wupwup

alright, i'm digging in to high weirdness and i'm liking the setup. one thing's irking me though- he keeps referring to "strange loops" even going so far as to attribute the concept to some guy i'm not familiar with (audiobook so i can't easily go check who it was), but the phrase was coined by douglas hofstadter in his book GEB back in 79. that book is incredible, btw, but doesn't fit well in this thread. it's all about consciousness, cognition, and emergent complexity.

does erik ever bring up douglas hofstadter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that's an intensely d&d quote, i don't think we need the source to know where it came from