Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I need to stop switching back and forth between bows and rifles, I always forget that closeup shots with bows hit higher than your aim point (if the target is closer than your zeroing) and miss point blank shots

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thanks folks, I'll give the AA stuff a shot.

Also, I'm night hunting, and I think this is my best kill so far. Poor visibility, long distance, right in the pump boy

And then, thirty minutes later, tracking a whitetail I'm pretty sure I hit in the skull just above the brain, I hear rustling, thinking I'd found it.

Motherfucker comes rushing out of the forest, I panic, hipfire the .243, get clawed, and find her dead after a thirty second jog.

My heart is still loving thundering. God drat.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Well I just had terrifying in a different way, the game hardlocked my pc on layton and after I rebooted kept giving me the corrupted save error. Forcing it through seems to have worked but I guess I better start backing up my save:sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bagged another deer today, but it sucked because she glitched out and stood in front of me and didn't move. Oh well.

My mission now says go bag a coyote so it's time to find out what gun I should bring for that. Any tips?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

.243 won't ruin a coyote, but I think there's probably a couple of guns that make coyote hunting easier. Maybe a revolver or shotgun? I would buy a shotgun myself, but I'm addicted to taxidermy.

They're a little tricky to track down, but the wounded rabbit lure makes it way easier.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

.243 won't ruin a coyote, but I think there's probably a couple of guns that make coyote hunting easier. Maybe a revolver or shotgun? I would buy a shotgun myself, but I'm addicted to taxidermy.

They're a little tricky to track down, but the wounded rabbit lure makes it way easier.

I feel like I'm going to spend today reading up on how to use lures, because drat if I can get the ones for deer to work. I know, I know, I'm such a moron at this game. But it's so pretty, and I feel so accomplished when I do bring something down with a cool shot.

I'll look into shotguns, thanks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I feel like I'm screaming into the wilderness most times I use a lure, but the rabbit one is the one I've had the most luck with.
Edit: oh and coyotes really like yelling "DON'T FIND ME I'M HERE"

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 13, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The .243 should work fine for coyote, a useful trick for if an animal ends up close to you is that you can click off the scope (middle mouse) and use the iron sights on the gun.

With the lures as long as you're using a correct lure for the animal, the animal is in range (usually 200m) and the animal isn't aware of you somehow they will eventually come over if you call them enough. It can take a lot longer than you would think, the big thing is to listen out for leaves rustling (zooming in with binoculars or a scope sort of magnifies sound and can make the rustling easier to hear). When I'm calling in an animal I usually like to do a couple of calls wait 10-20 seconds then do another set then settle down and maybe call every 45 seconds or so, if after a couple of minutes you don't hear any rustling the animal was probably out of range.You can't overcall but its easy to get distracted calling and then have the animal show up and you spook it. Generally if you can hear an animals calls they can hear your calls but if they are making repeated warning calls they are aware of you somehow.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 13, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Good to know you can't overcall. I've been nervous about calling too much, in case the animal figures out something is up. Also, I found out just yesterday the flashlight doesn't spook animals, but hunting in complete darkness I both prettier, moodier and more fun.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Nothing like stalking a moose when a pack of wolves come out of the fog right at you. Fortunately I had the .45-70 on me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Gonna keep huntposting because there's nothing to do at work. How do you go about tracking down a wounded animal who doesn't bleed out? I've been trying a couple of things; rushing after in a full sprint, sneaking after it, trying to intercept it, but I keep losing them. I'm worried I'm overestimating just how they'll run before they return to normal behavior, and I have no idea how well lures work when you've shot the poor thing once already.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Black Griffon posted:

Gonna keep huntposting because there's nothing to do at work. How do you go about tracking down a wounded animal who doesn't bleed out? I've been trying a couple of things; rushing after in a full sprint, sneaking after it, trying to intercept it, but I keep losing them. I'm worried I'm overestimating just how they'll run before they return to normal behavior, and I have no idea how well lures work when you've shot the poor thing once already.

Generally with tracking slow and steady is best sprinting after animals just usually ends up chain spooking them so you never end up in a position to actually shoot them. The tracks will tell you if they are still in an alert state if it says fleeing or running they were made while spooked and if it says like walking or trotting they are in a normal state. They usually end up "resetting" faster then you would think. Very Gamey tip read at your own peril: :siren:You can usually start luring them back in almost immediately after taking a shot. While I was writing this out I lured in a herd of Red Deer shot one lured them right back in and shot another. :siren:
As far as I know lures work just as well on injured animals as they do on healthy ones but its easier to alert a nervous animal obviously. Tracking gets much easier once you get the connect the dots skill since you are less likely to end up following old tracks. You can change the track colors in the settings some colors are much easier to spot in bushes so you probably wanna play around with it. Another tip, try to follow the "lay of the land" animals have to follow the same terrain you do(they fixed the teleporting thankfully) and they can't jump so if you lose a track but know their general direction of travel you can sort of follow around and figure out where they should be going. This is really something you get a feel for after following a bunch of animals.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 14, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Two deer! Two! In like twenty minutes, and I got them both in the lung! Yes! God I'm good!

...if only I weren't hunting coyote instead! :v:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Also, I found out just yesterday the flashlight doesn't spook animals, but hunting in complete darkness I both prettier, moodier and more fun.

Unfortunately, you seem to need to use the flashlight to do any tracking though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Unfortunately, you seem to need to use the flashlight to do any tracking though.

Pretty much, but I enjoy waking the wilderness, listening for rustling or calls and slowly narrowing down the area where the animal might be, then taking aim in the light of the moon. It's certainly not as effective as using daylight or a flashlight, but I find it very relaxing when it's not super ominous (bear country and whatnot), and very fun when it is super ominous (mountain lions and such things).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Whaaaaaat there's a thread for this game?

I love the African preserve, it's a good mix between bush stalking and long range shooting.

I really liked the southern US preserve in the FTP game, wish they would bring that back.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I think this game needs DLC Parachutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3y99RwG2Y

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

It would be really fun to wingsuit and parachute through some areas in this game even if it isn't thematically correct.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Or a drone.

I think hunting with the aid of a drone is illegal IRL though.

Edit: hmm, only strictly illegal in some states. Neato https://rifleopticsworld.com/best-drone-for-hunting/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is it just me or do bears get stuck in bushes a lot?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is it just me or do bears get stuck in bushes a lot?

I've been playing this a bunch again lately and I keep noticing deer doing this. I'll hear a loud, constant rustling in the bushes and sneak over only to find a deer running into a bush until it wiggles loose and runs away. Also had a herd of deer not react at all to being shot a couple times until they eventually calmly walked away.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

explosivo posted:

I've been playing this a bunch again lately and I keep noticing deer doing this. I'll hear a loud, constant rustling in the bushes and sneak over only to find a deer running into a bush until it wiggles loose and runs away. Also had a herd of deer not react at all to being shot a couple times until they eventually calmly walked away.

I've gotten two bears so far by watching them run into a bush without being able to leave. The AI in this game is surprisingly effective up until it's garbage.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah there is no getting around how buggy the AI can be sometimes. The Devs said they are gonna start heavy focus bugfixing in August including cancelling or pushing back some planned paid dlc so hopefully the can sort some of it out then.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

This, TheHunterClassic, and Fishing Planet and Russian Fishing 4 are my podcast listening games

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This is the best kind of podcast game, the kind where you can wander for an hour and suddenly realize that you have to stop that episode of The Adventure Zone right loving now because your quarry is right there, and nothing can distract you from your task. It really heightens the tension when you go from absolute chill to absolute silence.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I had $1 for every time I accidentally shot in the air in this game because I was alt-tabbing back in after changing videos on my second monitor..

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah there is no getting around how buggy the AI can be sometimes. The Devs said they are gonna start heavy focus bugfixing in August including cancelling or pushing back some planned paid dlc so hopefully the can sort some of it out then.

This is good news, thank you! As is the AI works enough that I've already put in stupid amounts of hours into this, but bugfixes would be aces. Wanna track down a bear the proper way, not with unplanned bush traps.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I want to see a Flordia wetlands DLC. You could hunt gators and invasive snakes. The quick travel option that scares animals could be a fan boat instead of an ATV. The area game warden could be a Florida Man that gets arrested for getting high on meth and pulling up to a Wendy's drive-thru with a baby manatee in the passenger seat.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They did a stream yesterday about Weapon Pack 3 and its gonna be a .30-06 bolt action rifle, a .45 caliber air rifle and a .22 target pistol. Okay finally tracked down the post about bugfixes

"Philsn Expansive Worlds posted:

Hey all,

Just wanted to pop in and apologise that we let you down. It's a lot of organization for these competitions and everybody spends a lot of time on it which we are very very grateful for.

I can give a small update on our efforts to reorganize the priorities and next releases of the game. We have completed the planning and changed all releases beginning in August. This is a big change for us that we haven't done on this scale before but we agree with everything you say that it is necessary. We have cancelled some paid DLC and replaced them with pure patches.
Our team and efforts have reached a size where we can't simply stop what we are doing now and completely refocus so there will still be paid releases.

The main goal is to get the game back on track with a stronger foundation than ever before which means game improvements and big fixes.

People have started working on this and their time commitment is 100%

We will share more details on this in the next weeks as we progress further with the actual work.

Again a big thank you for playing the game, building up the best online hunting community and supporting us. Despite the many issues in the game it really helps that you all maintain a positive and constructive attitude. We are very thankful for this and do our part!
I would totally dunk on them for all the bugs but honestly they've stuck with the game a lot longer than is probably reasonable to expect and it really has come a long way so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just sat through my first three hours of this game, a lot of fun and beautiful goddamn scenery. Figured I'd wait with the extra DLC, but just pulled the trigger on Weapon packs 1&2, tents, ATV and trophy lodge.
Couple of questions that I'm trying to wrap my head around currently:

Are "saves" exclusively on the reserves I start on, i.e. anything I gain on Hirschfelden won't carry over if I choose to switch reserves and I then have to start anew?
I've noticed the "reset" buttons in skills and perks for money, is resetting prohibitively expensive, or a casual option for respeccing if I don't feel quite happy with the road I went down?
On that note, any advice on "what" to kinda train for skill/perk-wise as a beginner? The perk "tree" looks fairly linear and simple, with muscle memory and steady hands looking like good early options, not so sure about the skills yet.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

You've gotta be loving kidding me, deer

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Are "saves" exclusively on the reserves I start on, i.e. anything I gain on Hirschfelden won't carry over if I choose to switch reserves and I then have to start anew?
I've noticed the "reset" buttons in skills and perks for money, is resetting prohibitively expensive, or a casual option for respeccing if I don't feel quite happy with the road I went down?

You can swap reserves at any time and you keep everything. Resetting skills gets expensive and is best done if you feel you made a major mistake.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ambaire posted:

You can swap reserves at any time and you keep everything. Resetting skills gets expensive and is best done if you feel you made a major mistake.

Cheers for the info!

Also, this red deer is going to be the end of me, just kill me now.

rear end in a top hat ran past me twice, once at the beginning of my dumb journey, and the second time literally as I was staring into its pile of poo poo to figure out where the next track would be. Turns out the second occasion was a different deer, so I went on an entirely new chase. Uuuuugh.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Me and my friend just tracked a fallow deer for 5.3 kilometers. My friend, new to the game, missed the heart by half an inch, so we had to track him south, then he ran straight past us after we'd tracked him for half an hour or more, so we had to go north, then, at the 5 km mark, I saw him right in front of me, and even though my .270 was far from ideal, I had to make the shot. My second weapon was a bow, but after he'd eluded us for an hour, killing him was more important than the integrity rating.

Feels good, feels right.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Duzzy Funlop posted:

On that note, any advice on "what" to kinda train for skill/perk-wise as a beginner? The perk "tree" looks fairly linear and simple, with muscle memory and steady hands looking like good early options, not so sure about the skills yet.
For skills I would begin by going down the Stalker skills and pick up locate tracks, track knowledge, and connect the dots if you want to do any kind of tracking. Sight spotting and improvised blind are really drat useful. For perks all the rifle skills are useful and apply to pretty much all guns I would skip windage and the Archery skills are all pretty much essential if you want to use the compound bows.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 22, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hit level 7, killed my first red fox, the occasional fallow deer and an actual shitton of roe deer that seem to be the most mindless animals in this game. Travel to their need zones about a half an hour ahead of the indicated time-frame on the zone, hide in a bush, use the bleat caller a bunch, and then just wax them.

Though, trying to kill more than one at a time ends up in some extremely messy shots, jesus.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

One of the most frustrating things in this game is that you can work hours towards a goal like "kill two fallow deer with .243 at a gold rating or higher", have absolutely no success because you either scare the deer off, yank out some solid X-Com shots that either miss, or just wound the deer, and then you decide to take a break to check out some scenic spots or lookout points, come out of the brushwork at a ridgeline, and just RANDOMLY run into your white whale, snap off a perfect shot at point blank range that you had no business to hit, and get your very first gold rating.

After spending about 3 hours trying to get a single red deer on my first day in this game, this came so far out of left field at a complete surprise, that it didn't even feel rewarding.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Picked this up after some recommendations during the Steam sale. I'm loving how chill the game is. It's very zen to stalk around a lake as the sun comes up or walk through the forest at night. On the other hand I'm like a deer terminator. I almost feel bad blasting a deer, waiting ten seconds, then using the lure again. What is that 5th deer thinking when it walks right up to me through a pile of bloody deer-corpses?

My favorite moment so far was tracking down a herd of moose. I crept up close in the bushes to take a shot. There was a crashing to my left and I thought one of them was coming right to me. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the giant bear that stopped five feet away. He charged and I fired. I got mauled and the bear collapsed about 30 meters away.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread before: TheHunterClassic is now fully free to play, that means they removed the membership requirement for all species and made it so all items can be bought using in-game currency that you get from harvesting animals.

Classic has a much greater variety of weapons and animals (kangaroos, lmao) while also being much slower and more "simulator-y" than call of the wild.

Pick it up if you're interested, go ahead and use my referral link too, we both get rewards if you use my link to make an account.
https://signup.thehunter.com?ref=bullfrog1523

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

TheHunterClassic is now fully free to play

This is pretty awesome, I stopped playing Classic a long time ago and after playing Call of the Wild and how almost "arcadey" the hunting is compared to Classic I was thinking about doing another 3 month sub. Definitely gonna get backing into Classic now that it's free.

In my opinion, Classic is a much more realistic and better hunting experience. If you want an experience closer to actual hunting and not feel like a deer Terminator, try Classic.

e: Jesus, after rereading my post...did I mention CLASSIC? haha