Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Music... is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know that I'd go to bat for Crystal Castles being an important 2000s group for today and I'm risking invoking a beep boop music infinitely genre-fied derail but calling it "uhh wasn't it just retrowave but earlier" is some "how about that techno" poo poo.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Agreed, they're poo poo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Music... is good!

woah dude lets not get all political in the 2000s thread here...

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Not strictly 2000s, but I would say anime becoming popular/common knowledge had a boom in the early 2000s because of Toonami, Midnight run with things like Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing UNCUT, and with all of this leading to adult swim broadcasting Cowboy Bebop.

The early 2000s was also when torrents became a thing and my first experience with torrents was of course with downloading the latest anime episodes. I remember being pretty amazed at being able to see anime as it released in Japan just a day later. Before torrents I don't remember watching any anime until it had already finished airing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Toonami really owes a lot to Sailor Moon. Obviously everyone remembers DBZ, but they were the ones that took up the DiC syndicated episodes when the well of Thundercats started running dry. Then they gambled with spending the money to have Cloverway finish the second half of Sailor Moon R, which led to them doing S and deciding to acquire DBZ and finally get Goku past the Jayce & Berter fight. Or did they just facilitate the Canadian dubs that were done by YTV? It's hard to remember.

Then they picked up Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo and launched the Saturday night anime block that got Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop over.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Jul 11, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I could say Green Day ruled and my friends didn't judge ;e

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicToast posted:

Not strictly 2000s, but I would say anime becoming popular/common knowledge had a boom in the early 2000s because of Toonami, Midnight run with things like Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing UNCUT, and with all of this leading to adult swim broadcasting Cowboy Bebop.

The early 2000s was also when torrents became a thing and my first experience with torrents was of course with downloading the latest anime episodes. I remember being pretty amazed at being able to see anime as it released in Japan just a day later. Before torrents I don't remember watching any anime until it had already finished airing.

omg yes and to the later, Adult Swim. Before Toonnami became the official anime block for adult swim it was just the anime us kids were allowed to watch. Mostly edited Dragon ball z and the like, but early days of adult swim if you stayed up past the toonnami block? You saw some weird poo poo. BIG O, BLUE GENDER (no one remembers this but me) COWBOY BEBOP, SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, INYUYAHSA ect ect. I believe YU YU HAKASHO was on the toonami block? Alot of this poo poo is Shonen Jump stuff. Objectively the most popular manga catalog and anime show series ever. Before this was all torrents or VHS that people managed to get.

It kinda worked in animes favor tbh. COWBOY BEBOP is such an amazing anime and wasn't obscure enough to be confusing to western audience (besides a few episodes. remember that floating super assassin that was also a clown???) It's like, heres the best if the best, enjoy. it was a real win win

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Jul 13, 2020

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
I still remember the night when Adult Swim's saturday block first premiered. I was used to AS only airing on Sunday nights, so I was pretty excited to see it a day early... and with nothing but anime! The initial lineup was Cowboy Bebop (awesome!), uncensored Tenchi Muyo (yes!), uncensored Outlaw Star (double yes!), Yu Yu Hakusho (gently caress YEAH!!) and...

this totally forgettable mecha show called Pilot Candidate (or "The Candidate for Goddess", since they didn't bother to change the title card). It only had a handful of episodes and I don't think AS ever bothered to rerun it since it was so unpopular, so if you blinked you missed it. The only thing I really remember about it is a) the CG intro that looks like it was rendered on a Sega Dreamcast and b) wondering why it was even on Adult Swim. I don't think it had any sexual or overly violent content - in fact, it was probably less violent than Gundam Wing which was airing around the same time on Toonami. Maybe they just thought it was too slow-moving for kids so they stuck it on the adult block?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jmxP_N1yC4

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

zedprime posted:

I don't know that I'd go to bat for Crystal Castles being an important 2000s group for today and I'm risking invoking a beep boop music infinitely genre-fied derail but calling it "uhh wasn't it just retrowave but earlier" is some "how about that techno" poo poo.

well i just mentioned crystal castles because it was a typical band of the period, but i dont really listen to anything from that period anymore. i remember i had a last.fm account and was just playing world of warcraft and listening to all kinds of albums back to back, i never revisit any of that nowadays

i guess theres a few exceptions, i still listen to the knife, but thats about it

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Bones posted:

in fact, it was probably less violent than Gundam Wing which was airing around the same time on Toonami.

Gundam Wing had finished airing a few months before Adult Swim came on. They replaced it with the original Mobile Suit Gundam on Toonami in July of ‘01, but 08th MS Team on Midnight Run. Adult Swim’s Saturday anime block started with another OVA, Gundam 0083, and they kept it around long enough to run the whole ~13 episodes at least twice.

Toonami pulled the original series due to 9/11 when it only had 5 or 6 episodes left, citing the ‘violent content’, but everyone knew it was due to poor ratings of a show from 1979. It eventually got replaced by 08th MS a few weeks later and they added 0080 (Which is only 6 episodes) to Midnight Run, and those ran until around Christmas or maybe early 2002.

Source: I loving taped all that poo poo back then cause buying the actual shows on VHS was too expensive. I’m pretty sure I still have some of them in a box somewhere :corsair:

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Had anyone mentioned that show Fear, on MTV?
Group of 20 somethings get camera'd up and sent to spend some nights in haunted places, like abandoned prisons and asylums. They had to do challenges during the night, like collect dried blood from the lobotomy room, or hold a seance in the solitary cel. One challenge was to climb up real high on some equipment, slip a noose around their neck, and kick a huge cinderblock off the edge that was tied to the noose's rope (it wasn't really).
I think they could walk at any moment, but forfeit the prize money of staying for the whole thing. I watched a fair few episodes even though that found footage horror genre gives me a profound case of the heebie geebies.
And the theme song was done by loving Godsmack.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Toonami really owes a lot to Sailor Moon. Obviously everyone remembers DBZ, but they were the ones that took up the DiC syndicated episodes when the well of Thundercats started running dry. Then they gambled with spending the money to have Cloverway finish the second half of Sailor Moon R, which led to them doing S and deciding to acquire DBZ and finally get Goku past the Jayce & Berter fight. Or did they just facilitate the Canadian dubs that were done by YTV? It's hard to remember.

Then they picked up Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo and launched the Saturday night anime block that got Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop over.

Man it was so heartbreaking as a kid to rewatch through the entire Saiyan arc on WB at 6am on Saturdays, the first half of Namec arc, filler and all, hoping that this time they've surely had time to make new episodes, see Jayce and Berter's super cool intro scene, and then next week the entire thing resets to the first episode AGAIN. I guess that's more of a 90s thing, though.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Jul 11, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You saw some weird poo poo. BIG O, BLUE GENDER (no one remembers this but me) COWBOY BEBOP, SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, INYUYAHSA ect ect.

I remember the angry vagina spider show

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember pilot candidate not only having a bad dub but also being completely loving incomprehensible with those atrociously lame flashback or dream sequences with the main character in a cabin or some poo poo (???) and the dub actor trying and failing at sounding like a young boy saying stupid poo poo like "IM GOING OUTSIDE TODAY MOTHER" or whatever the gently caress

It had so many other terrible tropes I'm amazed it aired at all, it was like (Almost) Everything Bad About 2000s Anime: The Series

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

omg yes and to the later, Adult Swim. Before Toonnami became the official anime block for adult swim it was just the anime us kids were allowed to watch.
Big O and Outlaw Star were originally part of the 2001 Toonami weekday block. That summer they premiered OG Gundam and, yeah, as mentioned the ratings took a poo poo.

Iirc that was around the time there was some fuckery with the higher-ups as they farmed the brand out to KidsWB and threw, like, Cardcaptor at it. They also pivoted the content a bit and added poo poo like Hamtaro which slowly ate away at the weekday block.

They saved the good poo poo like Yuu Yuu and Cowboy for the Saturday Midnight Run.

I actually accidentally tuned into the Midnight Run premiere and was super excited that Robotech was back on the air again.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hell I think we discovered Adult Swim Saturday and Sunday completely by accident when they were both barely off the ground, seeing something like Cowboy Bebop blew me away

There were some missteps but they made some cool choices in what they aired and I appreciated they did a bumper that was basically "Yeah we would absolutely loving kill to show Berserk and how awesome it is but yeah those final episodes lmao not happening. Ever."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I remember the night they started running the text bumpers instead of swimming pool graphics

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Randaconda posted:

remember when Blackberry squandered a massive lead on Apple and Google and basically laid down and died when face with competition

Depending on who you talk to, the reason Blackberry "squandered" their lead is because Apple or Google, hosed with their poo poo.
I'm not very tech savvy, but IIRC there were two major Blackberry network "faults", and they spelled the major decline of RIM.

I've heard some people saying that the problems were the result of Google or Apple hacking them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Late 90s and early 2000s was my biggest weeb era, and as I was going to anime clubs at the time, I saw them growing bigger, and bigger and bigger. Not everyone had access to tapes or even internet downloads, so getting together on a Saturday to watch a few episodes of anime was the way to go.

Like our Anime Convention we run doubled in size every year until we reached the attendance cap for the available facilities. We have a huge congress center, and 3 hotels! We get tens of thousands of people, and it took off before 2008.

By now Anime is such a part of the nerd community, being in Evangelion or Attack on Titan is about the same as being into star wars or Batman.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

shame on an IGA posted:

I remember the night they started running the text bumpers instead of swimming pool graphics

A pivotal moment. And if you went in the forums and posted you could get your bump on t.v.

FilthyImp posted:

Big O and Outlaw Star were originally part of the 2001 Toonami weekday block. That summer they premiered OG Gundam and, yeah, as mentioned the ratings took a poo poo.

Iirc that was around the time there was some fuckery with the higher-ups as they farmed the brand out to KidsWB and threw, like, Cardcaptor at it. They also pivoted the content a bit and added poo poo like Hamtaro which slowly ate away at the weekday block.

They saved the good poo poo like Yuu Yuu and Cowboy for the Saturday Midnight Run.

I actually accidentally tuned into the Midnight Run premiere and was super excited that Robotech was back on the air again.

Hamtaro owns. I know the theme by heart

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

omg yes and to the later, Adult Swim. Before Toonnami became the official anime block for adult swim it was just the anime us kids were allowed to watch. Mostly edited Dragon ball z and the like, but early days of adult swim if you stayed up past the toonname block? You saw some weird poo poo. BIG O, BLUE GENDER (no one remembers this but me) COWBOY BEBOP, SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, INYUYAHSA ect ect. I believe YU YU HAKASHO was on the toonami block? Alot of this poo poo is Shonen Jump stuff. Objectively the most popular manga catalog and anime show series ever. Before this was all torrents or VHS that people manged to get.

Yu Yu Hakusho started out on Adult Swim more or less unedited, and then a lightly edited version started showing on Toonami a few years later.

Also, I 100% remember Blue Gender. That was a series you were much, much better off watching elsewhere, because they straight up hacked it to pieces; it was originally meant to air on Toonami, but then I guess Cartoon Network decided the show was just fundamentally too much for Toonami regardless of how much they edited, so it went to Adult Swim. The problem here is that they still used the edit they meant to show on Toonami, which meant nearly every shot of violence against humans or aliens, nearly every swear word (even ones as mild as "drat" or "rear end"), and every single bit of sexual content got nuked from the show. :cripes:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've waited fifteen years for a reason to use this smiley

:milk:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Toonami/Adult Swim content edits were always a bit odd in the early 00’s, and then went some of them went completely insane in 2004 after Janet Jackson’s nipple.

Example I remember best: Gundam SEED was an aggressively mediocre show, but the edits they made to it were insane and often nonsensical. Editing gore or sexual stuff wasn’t anything new. Replacing traditional machine gun sounds with more laser like effects, removing background noise so a firefight is mostly just the sounds of people running, and the infamous “disco guns” that only took effect like halfway into the series were something else. And this was a show that was airing at 10:30 PM on Saturdays.

I’m more amazed they never heavily edited Cowboy Bebop that I can remember, or they were just more subtly done.

EDIT: As an aside, the overall media edit sprees following 9/11 and Janet Jackson are some peak 00’s. Removing anything that might vaguely reference a terrorist attack or be slightly sexual from media that had been deemed acceptable for years was some insanity.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Jul 11, 2020

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Had anyone mentioned that show Fear, on MTV?

The first episode was really good, it pulled off that kind of found footage vibe really well. My wife (gf at the time) and I were pretty psyched to watch the next episode. It was kind of a thing because I never got into that genre, I thought it was dumb and hokey most of the time.

Then it just became clear the next week that Fear was just another crap reality show, and each episode was progressively lamer. I gave up halfway through fourth episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

wesleywillis posted:

Depending on who you talk to, the reason Blackberry "squandered" their lead is because Apple or Google, hosed with their poo poo.
I'm not very tech savvy, but IIRC there were two major Blackberry network "faults", and they spelled the major decline of RIM.

I've heard some people saying that the problems were the result of Google or Apple hacking them.

The responsible hackers are well known in relevant circles for their RIM job

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Mr. Bones posted:

this totally forgettable mecha show called Pilot Candidate (or "The Candidate for Goddess", since they didn't bother to change the title card).

I had completely forgotten about this show. I remember watching it thinking it must get good eventually since it is on adult swim and everything else they have shown was a big hit/pretty decent so I thought it was going to pull off some crazy Evangelion poo poo but instead was just poo poo.

Also I recorded a ton of anime back then too. I remember right at the end of the original Frizea saga my family was going on our yearly road trip so I had to set the VCR to record the weeks worth of episodes however I was terrified of the power going off and resetting the VCR settings and missing it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho started out on Adult Swim more or less unedited, and then a lightly edited version started showing on Toonami a few years later.

Also, I 100% remember Blue Gender. That was a series you were much, much better off watching elsewhere, because they straight up hacked it to pieces; it was originally meant to air on Toonami, but then I guess Cartoon Network decided the show was just fundamentally too much for Toonami regardless of how much they edited, so it went to Adult Swim. The problem here is that they still used the edit they meant to show on Toonami, which meant nearly every shot of violence against humans or aliens, nearly every swear word (even ones as mild as "drat" or "rear end"), and every single bit of sexual content got nuked from the show. :cripes:

Back in YE OLDE Netflix days, they had original Blue Gender on there. I flipped my poo poo and watched it and hot drat was there alot of dying and tits. :qq: magical

My then gf now wife was not very interested in it...no idea why.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hey look I'm a movie trailer from the early 2000s!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw

Though Hey Ya was such a big hit, I feel like Roses got overlooked but that is another solid track with a great video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWju37TZfo0

That reminds me, there is a tune stuck in my head, and all i know is it was from a hip hop song from the early 2000s. It just goes "doot do doot doot do doot" over and over with a synth.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Jul 21, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, there is a tune stuck in my head, and all i know is it was from a hip hop song from the early 2000s. It just goes "doot do doot doot do doot" over and over with a synth.

Hum it here: https://www.midomi.com/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I actually figured it out, it was Laffy Taffy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXBgSCSrIk

How was this a huge hit?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

I actually figured it out, it was Laffy Taffy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXBgSCSrIk

How was this a huge hit?

cause

it's yo' laffy taffy, yo' laffy taffy

also, Roses was way better than Hey Ya, mainly because it wasn't incredibly overplayed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

cause

also, Roses was way better than Hey Ya, mainly because it wasn't incredibly overplayed.

I remembered Todd in the Shadows has a vid on this and he mentions its ring tone rap, that is made to put on peoples cell phones and I can totally see it.

Roses also has a much better video.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Randaconda posted:

cause

it's good but that "poo-poo-ooh" part is such a clunker

Hey Ya is peerless but the almost-as-good song that should have been a huge hit IMO was B.O.B.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pangstrom posted:

Hey Ya is peerless but the almost-as-good song that should have been a huge hit IMO was B.O.B.

God drat that song is a banger in the most literal way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVehcuJXe6I

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pangstrom posted:

maybe it's just where i grew up but BOB was inescapable, so i'm a bit surprised there are people who don't see it as a huge hit

anyway, this is technically 90s but i think it sits on the side of 2000s outkast just feeling their success and getting weird with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0tamp9XdqU

e: actually puppets in rap videos is pretty 90s. how about andre's quiet love for horny rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqhJfjbNuQg

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jul 22, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4gYW5nnBE

e: No person on the planet knows what he's saying in the first piece.

The second one goes
"Can I say my thing?"
"Why yes you can. That's what I'm hoping for!"
"Immatheguywhodidthe cop murders."

e: Oh apparently he's a sort of drunk youtube celebrity nowadays and lives in the suburb I grew up in :eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Jul 22, 2020

FinnDiesel
Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4gYW5nnBE

e: No person on the planet knows what he's saying in the first piece.

The second one goes
"Can I say my thing?"
"Why yes you can. That's what I'm hoping for!"
"Immatheguywhodidthe cop murders."

e: Oh apparently he's a sort of drunk youtube celebrity nowadays and lives in the suburb I grew up in :eyepop:

I speak fluent drunken finnish, he says in the first piece "You know Davor Suker and the other one is Jeremy Roenick, nothing else"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

luxury handset posted:

maybe it's just where i grew up but BOB was inescapable, so i'm a bit surprised there are people who don't see it as a huge hit

Yeah I remember it being pretty big too. I think it was big enough to get a remix played on radio and/or TV after the main version finished its run. It was the more genre-bound hit which paved the way for a mainstream hit.