Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

netizen posted:

Yes. My elementary school bus driver was named Zeke and he was cool as hell and played Ice Ice Baby non-stop. He loved Vanilla Ice. I guess as a bus driver you just have to play PG tracks over and over so as not to get fired.

Saw this beauty there too:

Clone High told me they were Canadian!

Ashley Olsen from otown coming live from the sunny beaches of Canada!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
we had one bus driver who would sometimes play metallica.

Another old guy that would play big band stuff.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JjLd3MufCE

quote:

Except for the first iteration of the series featuring O-Town, all seasons of Making the Band have been overseen by Diddy, acting as the man of the house who makes the final decision on who will be in the band.

Did I just mentally block this out of my head? I feel like I should have seen this show.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Anyone remember that MTV show that was a parody of a boy band? I remember one of them was named QT, and one of them played the bully from Napoleon Dynamite and grew up in a town I lived in. I think they even had a hit.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

credburn posted:

Anyone remember that MTV show that was a parody of a boy band? I remember one of them was named QT, and one of them played the bully from Napoleon Dynamite and grew up in a town I lived in. I think they even had a hit.

I have bad news, friend.

Rest in peace, Q.T.

e. drat that's actually pretty sad. He died when he was just 16.

netizen has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Mar 17, 2024

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
2ge+her 4 EVR

Yeah turns out the joke about him having a terminal disease wasn't much of a joke!

2 Plus-Sign 2 Equalsign Us!

Also Deelahn got real salty about that Chapelle Show skit.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
drat, U + Me = Us isn't half bad as far as 00's era boy bands go.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

netizen posted:

I have bad news, friend.

Rest in peace, Q.T.

Well, goddamn :(

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

netizen posted:

I have bad news, friend.

Rest in peace, Q.T.

Huh, I must have conflated O-Town with their parody because I thought one of them died

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

root beer posted:

Huh, I must have conflated O-Town with their parody because I thought one of them died

The only thing I remember about that reality show is that one of the chosen band members vanished in between episodes and was replaced, no explanation given.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FilthyImp posted:

Also Deelahn got real salty about that Chapelle Show skit.

People only remember him at all because of that, lol.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The GBA Harry Potter was ten bucks more than the PC version?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Heath posted:

Yes, your math is correct. As indicated in the ad, the pc version is $29.99 while the Game Boy Advance version is $39.99. That’s a difference of $10.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Heath posted:

You have to pay Nintendo for the hardware in each and every cartridge and license to publish on a Nintendo platform, while for PC you just press a few hundred thousand DVDs for next to nothing.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

But on the other hand the gbc game was guaranteed to work whereas the pc game poo poo would just not work or hang and crash and you'd ask jeeves about it and the answer would be "maybe drivers?"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's also worth remembering that each cartridge was a complete pcb and solid state storage when getting more than a couple dozen megabits of storage was a huge deal, the cost of that vs ultra-bulk optical media pressing really adds up. They both had custom packaging and usually manual booklets, though i really miss the big box pc game goodies. The software was only a portion of what you were buying

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's just weird to think about that the lovely portable version is 1/3 more expensive than a PC version even though it makes total sense (I'm sure the market share of HP fans is much higher on the portable Nintendo system)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

It's just weird to think about that the lovely portable version is 1/3 more expensive than a PC version even though it makes total sense (I'm sure the market share of HP fans is much higher on the portable Nintendo system)

How do you know the Gameboy version isn't much better than the PC version? They're going to be different games altogether and it happened quite often.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's true. Though while there's definitely some great gba games but I don't know of any that released at the same time and were better than their pc "counterparts"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How do you know the Gameboy version isn't much better than the PC version? They're going to be different games altogether and it happened quite often.

I am an 80s/90s child and I have longstanding trauma regarding licensed titles

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Heath posted:

I am an 80s/90s child and I have longstanding trauma regarding licensed titles

So much garbage. So much garbage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That scene from jurassic park where malcom is banging his fists on the table rattling the crockery saying "you're selling it, you're selling it" and it's just 75% of the stuff with the JP logo slapped on it.

Not rampage edition though, that game's great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People have Brunkeberg Bears'd themselves into thinking "licensed" games were poo poo back in the day.

No, computer games were absolute dogshit back in the day. Only maybe half a dozen decent or good games were released every year. Some of them even were "licensed". Like Dallas Quest.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The gbc "metal gear solid" is a weird one because it's not just a demake of mgs, it's a completely different game (it's called Metal Gear Ghost Babel in Japan), but it's also really good and also strange because you never foresee being emotionally moved by a game boy game. It's an inherently goofy platform

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Huh, so games were (slightly) cheaper back then? I honestly don't remember. It was a wondrous time, though.

Before I got into consoles, I used to go to this place that would burn pirated copies of PC games. I think it was called Generation X or something, little cyber cafe in the front and a room in the back with a cutout wall, full of towers with CD burners in them. You'd go up and say "you guys have Medal of Honour: Allied Assault yet?" and they'd be like "Yep, come back in 20 minutes with $10." They'd hand you a jewel case with a matte-gold CDR in it and a sticker on the front of the cracked serial. Worked every time. I played GTA III, a couple of the Hitman games, Black & White, the aforementioned MOH:AA and a few others this way.

I was generally late to the party with consoles. Back in the 90s I bought my N64 with $88 in pennies (and some bills, and obvi we had to go to several banks to get the pennies changed out) but didn't have a next-gen console until probably 2003 when I got a PS2. I did have the chill basement with the couches and enormous CRT TV through, so on weekends my buddy would often bring over his whole XBOX and we'd play Splinter Cell and other games until the wee hours of the morning.

We also skipped school whenever a big title came out. Definitely for GTA: Vice City and San Andreas both, but there were probably others. We'd meet up outside the school and just ditch to go to the EB Games in the mall. How we were able to afford those games on our allowance money, and how they just sold them to us without any parents around, I still don't know.

A related aside: When GTA4 came out, I asked my Mom for a copy for Christmas. She went to the mall with my little brother, back then a toddler. She said the clerk at the game store was like "Uhh, I don't think this game is appropriate for your son" and she laughed and told him she had an older son.

The late 00s for me were a lot of Call of Duty 2. As a bit of a CHUD in my early 20s, I ate that poo poo up. Went to FanExpo with a buddy cosplayed as Soap and Ghost (complete with airsoft M4s - I have no idea how cops never stopped us on the way). All that stupid poo poo. My college roommates and I would take turns playing that and Halo, which I never liked nearly as much. I needed the tactical realism, you know? And the aggression was there too. I watch videos these days of Kyles livestreaming, destroying their keyboards and monitors. I get it. While I never did anything like that, I get being a hormonal 20-something male and getting frustrated at video games. I yelled at the screen a lot.

EDIT: This popped up in my FB memories. We played a lot of Metal Gear Solid 2 in my basement as well. I think we beat it in one night, if you count being up until 8AM 'one night'.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Mar 25, 2024

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Huh, so games were (slightly) cheaper back then? I honestly don't remember. It was a wondrous time, though.

Ehh, not really. $299.99 in 2000 is worth ~$540 today, so consoles are roughly the same price now as they were back then. Games themselves are considerably less expensive these days, as $50 then is worth about $90 now. Controllers are a mixed bag, depending on the platform. That Xbox controller in the circular would cost just a bit more than the Switch Pro or PS5 controllers cost today, but is actually significantly cheaper than the original ($45 vs $72 in today’s money).

I feel you on the rest, the N64 was the last console I bought new (on Black Friday in ‘96, even), and everything since then, including the PSX I ended up trading it in for, was secondhand. Hell, I didn’t even get the PS4 I have now until the pandemic. I’m way more well off now but I’m not even sure I’d get a PS6 at launch, seeing how PS5 scalpers were.

root beer has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Mar 25, 2024

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

not quite 2000s posting but I vividly remember the absolute jaw dropping shock when Wing Commander: The Secret Missions for SNES dared to embrace the $59.99 price point

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chrono Trigger was $99.99 if I remember right, in 1995/96 money.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Despite inflation and everything else, brand new AAA-level video games have typically been between $50 and $80 at launch for decades, at least on consoles. For a couple of examples, Nintendo 64 games had MSRP between $60 and $70 at release in various print things you can find online. Another many people will likely remember is The Simpsons episode with Bonestorm, "Marge Be Not Proud", where she comments that games can be as much as $70 and the sign in the store has Bonestorm as $60, and that was from 1995. IIRC the standard pricing for new games for 6th generation consoles (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, and Dreamcast) was usually $50 at release*, but it went back up to $60 for the 7th generation, and recently it's started being $70.

*One of the most infamous examples of this is related to the whole Madden/2K story. Madden, an annual release, was the then normal price of $50, and Madden NFL 05 was due in August. ESPN NFL 2K5 got released a month earlier, and was given a lower price of only $20. When Madden dropped, EA quickly lowered the price to $30 to stay competitive. Both games sold well, but the NFL saw they were losing money, so they went to EA and offered them the exclusive rights to NFL video games. Madden became the only NFL game in town, so the next year EA could sell it at full price with no competition, and sadly its remained that way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think Colin McRae Rally cost 429 marks when I bought it. A Sony Play Station home computer video game console cost maybe 1 995 marks?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

companies have been able to keep consumer prices for games mostly the same even as game budgets shot up because digital storefronts have massively cut the costs of distribution. its crept up again as AAA game budgets have gone to ridiculous numbers however.

also manufacturing cds was much cheaper than cartridges, which is why n64 games were more expensive. n64 was a real mess of bad choices hardware wise.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, man, I think I paid like $70 for loving Hexen on the N64, and I ended up hating that goddamn game. Shoulda bought Doom64 instead or whatever, but it didn’t matter, I ended up trading for a PSX in winter ‘98/’99 after playing Final Fantasy VII at my friend’s place. It was also for the best, as my cousin got an N64 the spring after I got mine, and when we were roommates in art school in ‘99 we had two consoles to work with for a while, until [a] I came to end up hating him and [b] I met my girlfriend and had more important and fun things to do.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I (my parents) paid one hundred dollarydoos for the sega master system port of mortal kombat.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

field balm posted:

I (my parents) paid one hundred dollarydoos for the sega master system port of mortal kombat.

Layers to this one

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I paid $75 for Donkey Kong Country 3 back in like '98. Huge amount of content so not a terrible choice, but that was like 1/3 of a year's worth of money for me.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
It was a massive bummer to drop that amount of money on a new game and beat it in like 6 hours. Reviews were pretty important at the time!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

je1 healthcare posted:

It was a massive bummer to drop that amount of money on a new game and beat it in like 6 hours. Reviews were pretty important at the time!

This is a '90s reply, but you've reminded me of one of the worst times I ever got burned on a videogame. Heimdall 2 on the Amiga. Was a completely fine isometric adventure game, but I was unemployed, broke, and living in a town where I knew literally nobody. I could afford one game, as a treat, and the review in some old gaming rag called Megazone said that the game would offer "months" of entertainment. I beat it in a day. And as an adventure game it basically had zero replayability.

The bad old days of having to buy games based upon the opinions of random dudes in a magazine. This still applied to the 2000s as well, because it wasn't until the mid-2000s that we started getting gaming podcasts. And video? Almost non-existent. All I ever wanted was to see 10 minutes of gameplay and hear the views of someone who had a chance to have some hands on time, and that just didn't happen. Was only the 1Up show and then Giant Bomb that pushed video content of games forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfK1tUrGJ4

The 1UP being (I believe) a little passion project after work hours for all involved made it getting cancelled all the harder. It was clunky and amateurish and trying to be a bit too serious about videogames at the time, but that was fine because there was never a serious show about videogames for adults before this. We only had things like Games Master where they'd let some 10 year olds play a game in a studio for a few minutes and then shove a microphone in their face to get a generic "yeah... it's good, I like the graphics" comments.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sheesh. gaming in the clinton years erasure over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember buying an issue of a foreign magazine with game reviews (Zzap 64) for the first and last time. I was looking at the scores and reading the reviews and going "what the heck I KNOW this game is dogshit and they gave it a 90? How can they print this?!?" With the domestic rags you might have had to wait a bit because game publishers would make all sorts of insane demands to send them preview copies so the reviews only came out after the game was released publicly, but you never had to worry about being left with a lemon if you trusted a review. And who the gently caress bought games at launch anyway, you bought them when they hit the bargain bins.