Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Still stinging over the time I'd convinced my parents to buy me a new Genesis game, and Haunting (Starring Polterguy) got shot down in favor of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

The gbc "metal gear solid" is a weird one because it's not just a demake of mgs, it's a completely different game (it's called Metal Gear Ghost Babel in Japan), but it's also really good and also strange because you never foresee being emotionally moved by a game boy game. It's an inherently goofy platform
2005 had Metal Gear Acid released on the PSP. I knew Japan had deck-building games since the NES days (Untranslated DBZ NES roms!) but this was the first time I was able to play one in english.
2017 comes around and deck-builders became the biggest thing ever for a while.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the brief window of every game magazine packing in a demo disc of PSX titles before the publishers realized oh wait that's a bad idea now everyone will know the game sucks before we have their moneys

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It honestly blows my mind to see a modern portable disc drive, with a burner no less, because they're barely larger than a CD case now. :allears:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It honestly blows my mind to see a modern portable disc drive, with a burner no less, because they're barely larger than a CD case now. :allears:

I have a Windows 95 laptop and the CD-ROM drive on that isn't much bigger than nowadays. (You can pop it out and put it in an external enclosure, because there's only one drive bay.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have a Windows 95 laptop and the CD-ROM drive on that isn't much bigger than nowadays. (You can pop it out and put it in an external enclosure, because there's only one drive bay.)

My experience with them was mostly 5.25 tower drives (both in-PC and shoved in an external enclosure) back in the day, so seeing a modern standalone one being just so tiny is neat to me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My experience with them was mostly 5.25 tower drives (both in-PC and shoved in an external enclosure) back in the day, so seeing a modern standalone one being just so tiny is neat to me.

The main difference is they're all dirt cheap now, but then anything small was expensive.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone stopped in at my work the other day and asked if we had any blank CD-Rs. We have some DVD-Rs but no CDs, I said I had a spool at home though that he could just have if he wanted them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone stopped in at my work the other day and asked if we had any blank CD-Rs. We have some DVD-Rs but no CDs, I said I had a spool at home though that he could just have if he wanted them.

What could they possibly need a blank CD-R for in this day and age?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

YeahTubaMike posted:

If you're retrogaming, stock Dreamcasts can read games off CD-R.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

YeahTubaMike posted:

He said they were for archival purposes, IIRC. Why a HDD is out of the question I'm not sure. He was also talking about how 'certain types' of CDR he'd tried already were recording at 'the wrong pitch', which sounds to me like a sample rate conversion issue, not anything inherent to the media itself.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Archiving on normal cdr? Nah, archive on stone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Neito posted:

If you're retrogaming, stock Dreamcasts can read games off CD-R.

Nice

Mister Speaker posted:

He said they were for archival purposes, IIRC. Why a HDD is out of the question I'm not sure. He was also talking about how 'certain types' of CDR he'd tried already were recording at 'the wrong pitch', which sounds to me like a sample rate conversion issue, not anything inherent to the media itself.

Sentient Data posted:

Archiving on normal cdr? Nah, archive on stone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Man, I love physical media :allears:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I watched Red Eye last night and I was in awe of Cillian Murphy's perfect 2005 hair:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sir Lemming posted:

I watched Red Eye last night and I was in awe of Cillian Murphy's perfect 2005 hair:

This movie had an absolutely amazing trailer, that started out with making it look like a romantic comedy.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Remember when your radio or PC speakers would start blipping and you knew you were about to get a phone call.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You could always get a recording of that interference and set it as your ringtone

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I was watching TWiT a lot around that era, and it was constant; IIRC it was that 3G signals would cause that crsssh crssh sound?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQxUqWFNWNo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

YeahTubaMike posted:

I do genuinely want to burn some CDs for my mom