Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
The ARB and the like are rad because you can sell them for a good amount of cash if you want. I love mine, I wouldn’t buy anything else just for ease of use and durability’s sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I have a smittybuilt my friend gave me because a pole bent and they mailed him a new one. I don't use it much because I don't want to deal with the poles and lines. I'm looking for something else for 2021.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have been on hiatus from posting between forums drama and being positively crushed with work it has left me little time to post. The exploring has still be happening though! It has been my only sense of relief from everything. This time I am going to show a little bit of the strangest place I have ever been. Ophir, Utah Population? According to the 2012 Census/Wikipedia it is 40. Look back 12 years and you are looking at numbers like 23 with a total of 10 households.

Now it is sort of like an outdoor museum featuring historical buildings that were moved or relocated to their current resting places. These buildings were closed because of COVID-19 but there was still some neat stuff to walk around and see. Like many ghost towns in Utah this is what remains from mining sites. There was a fun little kind of park type setting you could sit down and have lunch that was decorated kind of peculiar. Like your grandpa and grandma that collected stuff and just never got rid of it even when it held a value of 0 to them.

A neat place to explore and a fun way to escape!

I stumbled across this thread somehow and I'm just a little surprised another goon ended up in Ophir this year. I was there a month ago on my way to Flat Top Mountain, seemed pretty neat but was dead quiet early in the morning. And seeing all the other places in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if we had crossed paths at some point, I was out in the Uintas a ton this year, as well as the Tushars, eastern Nevada, and southern Idaho. Sadly I didn't take many pictures of my taco in such remote locations. Really regret not getting one at the tallest point of forest road 123 in the Tushars 11400 ft up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hotel Kpro posted:

I stumbled across this thread somehow and I'm just a little surprised another goon ended up in Ophir this year. I was there a month ago on my way to Flat Top Mountain, seemed pretty neat but was dead quiet early in the morning. And seeing all the other places in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if we had crossed paths at some point, I was out in the Uintas a ton this year, as well as the Tushars, eastern Nevada, and southern Idaho. Sadly I didn't take many pictures of my taco in such remote locations. Really regret not getting one at the tallest point of forest road 123 in the Tushars 11400 ft up.

So I stalked your post history and binged your thread. You are a machine - those are some serious hikes. I have ambitions of tackling some more extreme stuff like that as I am able to when my kids get a bit older.

I haven't had the time to really sit down to edit my photos and videos down from Moab but an update for the Lexus is due. I have completed a second oil change since owning it. I bought that battery at last posting and it sat until Christmas break. With my buddy heater toasting my buns in an otherwise cold garage I began the pretty easy process of installing my Group 31 AGM battery.

The Slee battery tray install was very straightforward and so boring I didn't even bother to take a single photo. The instructions were straightforward and clear. It took one trip to the auto store for a battery terminal thingy that I needed to crimp on to my negative wire and a ground wire.

I should have taken a side by side photo to show the difference between the two but again :effort: however I do have a photo of the battery next to the tire like I took of the group 31

I still need to dispose of the old battery. Probably throw it into the ocean, a completely legal and fun thing to do! don't actually do this

This thing puts out a TON more amps than what I replaced. The starter is very enthusiastic about its job. I have some leads for my battery tender I will install soon and will throw it on there every other week or so to make sure it is topped off. I have heard those who do that generally get 6+ years out of these deep cycle batteries.

The Monday after Christmas I found myself itching to get out and drive. So I went solo out to Little Moab to goof around. I took my GoPro and got some terrible angles of a couple neat little climbs. Playback showed them less than impressive, but I will share because it is fun to do land cruiser stuffs in land cruisers.

Direct IMGUR video link to ~40 seconds of video

I was the only car I saw out there. It was cold and a little flurry of snowfall started happening. I drove my RC crawler a little while, took some photos and decided to go exploring around climbing some of the hills on the trails that didn't look like I would get over my head being solo. I found myself pressed for time a little bit as I wanted to get home and smoke ribs for dinner. It just felt good to get out. I will probably do more of that through the coming weekends.

bonus toy car content

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I stalked your post history and binged your thread. You are a machine - those are some serious hikes. I have ambitions of tackling some more extreme stuff like that as I am able to when my kids get a bit older.

Thanks man, I'm also hoping to get my kids involved in hiking, although certainly not to the extent I normally do.

After reading this thread, I really feel like I ought to do something with my truck, it's been a while since I've done anything. Here she is near Chilly, Idaho last summer

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I still need to dispose of the old battery. Probably throw it into the ocean, a completely legal and fun thing to do! don't actually do this

O'Reilly's will give you $11 for the old battery, I believe. Mine does, anyway.

quote:

Those are interesting battery terminals. I don't believe I've ever seen ones like that before. They look pretty solid.

quote:

bonus toy car content

That's a great picture.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

O'Reilly's will give you $11 for the old battery, I believe. Mine does, anyway.

This varies state to state. Call your local store before hoofin a battery down there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elmnt80 posted:

This varies state to state. Call your local store before hoofin a battery down there.

Indeed, hence the “mine does, anyway”, though I should have been more explicit than that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

A post title: it has been a while for one of those. Have it in .gif format!

A weekend creeped up on me and while I have visions of grandeur like casually waking up and driving to any of the five National Parks within my state that all can be reached before lunch time and spending the day there - it just doesn't happen. Perhaps it is because my kids are young and the idea of driving isn't as exciting to them. So I instead sulked for a bit and then decided it was time to acknowledge the box containing the new front seats that had been taking space in my garage.

Armed with the knowledge of at least 25 minutes of YouTube viewing I was prepared. I decided to start with the passenger side since I would no doubt screw it up some. The seat comes out easy enough, four bolts hold the frame to the floor. The impact made quick work of those once the plastic trim was removed.
Start with a big work space, a table will be helpful. You will want hog ring pliers.

Remove the base from the frame. Get your beverage of choice.

A pair of work gloves with rubber grippy palms and fingers actually made this not as bad as the internet let me to believe. Giving Lord Bezos the $12 for hog ring pliers was also a good thing. I decided to reuse the spring rods from the old seat for the new seat. Be careful with the edges of the seat base. They are stamped metal and sharp!

Undo a ton of connectors and see if you remember where they all went. It wasn’t bad.

Feel pretty good about how things are going and take another picture to celebrate your successes.

Strip the seat back to expose the foam. Make sure you pick out the old hog ring pieces and throw them in the garbage.

tricky seat back clips I managed to not break in spite of being made of 20+ year old plastics.

Steam the foam to make it all soft and squishy again and kill any bacteria that might be hanging around 20+ years of farts

Now install the spring rods from the old cover into the new cover

and realize in a Hank Hill voice that something’ ain’t right.

Furrow your brow and swear under your breath. Then consult the internet to find out that the LX 470 and the Land Cruiser have different seat back leather for??? reasons??? and that you somehow missed that whole bit of information when you spent $829.42 a year ago on these seat covers.

At this point you have sworn more audibly and mostly at yourself. The top spring rod matches up but the other two? Nah. At this point you are stumped and have spent WAY too long on this thing. Your back is hurting because upholstery is dumb and difficult and you have spent most of your Saturday on this. So you power through. Grab some spray adhesive and go to down on the pad and seat leather. At this point these seats will probably never be covered again and the Cruiser will suffer the heat death of the universe before that time.

Slightly mess up on cutting the hole for the head rest mounts so the left side of the leather is all bunched funny.

Reinstall the seat making sure all the connectors are plugged in

:sigh: resolve yourself to the fact that while it didn’t go as planned because of a stupid error it could be worse.

The drive side I will tackle in the next week or so. They didn’t supply me with enough hog rings. Even through attrition from bungling up the install of a few they were still short by at least 20 rings so I have ordered 500 more that will arrive some time on the wings of an angel underling of Jeffzos.

I truly hate myself. Reviewing these photos and writing this post has just bothered me all over again. This past week I have really reconsidered the last year and part of me wishes I had just bought a 200 series instead of all this, particularly the white 2013/130K mile one I test drove.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

It's not a project if you don't gently caress up something stupid!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
TBH, it looks fine. I know it sucks to mess up on something like that, but it's functional and no one but you will ever know (well, other than us now that you told us). Upholstery is a royal bitch, and not many people do it. Congrats on getting it done!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm sure you're annoyed and I would be too, but they look totally decent and if you hadn't told us they were messed up I'd never have known. It has a nice loose late 90s Cadillac leather look.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

I bought a lovely tent from a dude on cl last year. Finally got around to testing it for...landworthiness yesterday. Stoked on it, but I might sell this rig off for a truck soon enough. Too many house projects to keep an SUV.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

I bought a lovely tent from a dude on cl last year. Finally got around to testing it for...landworthiness yesterday. Stoked on it, but I might sell this rig off for a truck soon enough. Too many house projects to keep an SUV.

This looks alright!

So not much in the way of working on the Lexus since the seat SNAFU. I need to get around to doing mine. I registered/smogged it this week which means I have had this machine for over a year (!!!). There is an update to be had though. Title of:
The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now

So, I am by nature a goal setter/problem solver. Namely I fixate on something I want then I will overcome obstacles to reach the end goal. I like this off-roading/camping/exploring lifestyle a lot. I enjoy driving a lot. I could find something to do every single weekend automotive related be it driving/exploring/wrenching/building/cars and coffee gatherings - whatever. My family? Not as much. They can take it in smaller doses. There are complaints that the drive is too long, or the ride is not comfortable enough etc etc. so I was seriously considering the 200 series Land Cruiser as the possible solution. It would mean a more comfortable ride. They have in-car entertainment which at this point give it to me. If my kids will sit and allow us to get to the destination with a small amount of whining then great. The camping thing - it is a little tight and cramped having 5 of us out of 1 vehicle. The two older tolerate sleeping in the back but it is not their favorite. Playing tetris and unloading everything for them to sleep in the back also kind of sucked. Then there is the obstacle of being "tethered" in place once you set up camp. Me? I would be happy to just sit and appreciate the mountains and explore around on foot. The idea of a large enough roof tent to fit all of us also seemed unlikely and way more than I really want to consider spending on a tent (probably $4K). So the idea of building out a 200 sounds great at first, but there are drawbacks that still exist with the 100.

So the obstacle now: what could I do for everyone to be more comfortable and be "excited" about getting out for the weekend. What could make for quicker setup and take down? Perhaps a recreational vehicle? That comes with a whole host of other problems though. Towing, storage, maintenance, septic, access to remote boondocking/dispersed camping and plus that doesn't really fit into the idea of minimalist which is what I really wanted.

There was an option I had thought about and had seen before but hand waved it off. When I brought it up with my wife and showed her she was surprisingly interested in it. A teardrop style adventure trailer.

I had been following this account on instagram for a while and thought they looked pretty sweet. We watched a few videos highlighting the various configurations. A big bonus is that they are local to us. On Monday my wife picked me up with the kids and we went to go check them out in person. I had scheduled an appt beforehand and Richard the lone sales guy met us and walked us through the entire build process. We saw all the machines and fabrication, the materials, raw components. We asked a ton of questions about ownership etc. They had three different trailers that were in a stage of final preparation that we were able to beep and boop to our hearts content. The finish and craftsmanship was pretty serious. The modular style of build was really attractive. We sat down and went over a few options and what the pricing would total out to. He had coloring books and crayons and company branded small tins of Jelly Belly jelly beans for our kids while we talked over the process.

My wife and I slept on it. I combed through YouTube looking at other brands. I tried to find any signs anywhere of people listing them for sale (good luck). I played with the configuration machine on their site. I looked up the specs and measurements on the website and took to my garage with my tape to figure out where it would live. Yesterday we came the decision to go for it and decided on our options out.

"Premium kitchen" level

So today we have signed on to build out a Mean Bean. I will be able to fit it in my garage, my ARB tent will attach to the top thanks to the optional rack/rail system as well as my awning. We opted for the "Premium" kitchen over the Premium Plus after comparing the two. It has an 18 gallon water capacity etc etc. You can check that specific model out here: https://beantrailer.com/mean-bean-off-road/

I would have totally gone for the "Meaner Bean" model which has the Timbren suspension package (independent off road/super rugged) but it lifts the trailer two inches over the Mean and wouldn't fit in the garage. Options we chose were the Premium kitchen with stainless counter, off road rock sliders, roof rack brackets and rails, pop up table, and the MaxxFan deluxe fan with remote. This thing is expensive and totally instagram bait which I totally get, but man I was totally an excited idiot when I saw them in person. The things that pushed me to go for it:

Wife was on board and loved it, kids loved it.
It fits in our garage
Offroad capabilities/minimalist approach to camping
The craftsmanship and pride put into the work.
The construction of it - the body is a single piece of fiberglass. Completely seamless. The rear hatch is fiberglass. It will straight up not leak.
Local business, with some pretty high regarded awards
Resale value - for a fun exercise try and find a fiberglass teardrop or fiberglass camper. Here are some tips; Bean makes them, Scamp, Happier Camper, and Escapod (also a Utah company). Typically IF you can find one for sale they are fetching ~80% original retail value and sell within a day or so.

How is this post title relevant? Well these are made to order and currently averaging 8-10 trailers getting delivered each week. The estimated date for the completion of our Mean Bean is currently eight months from now. The best time to buy a Bean was at the beginning of COVID. The second best time is today. :qq:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

How are companies operating with these insane back orders? If it was a one time spike I could understand but even before covid GFC and some others had crazy lead times on gear. Am I stupid or are they just not properly staffing and producing to meet a sustained demand for their product?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
First of all, not everything is scalable at a reasonable lead time.

Second, everything now is part of a vast global supply chain. Take the Bean. Maybe you can hire guys and put in tooling to make twice as many in the same time, and that's got a good business case and whatever. You start talking to your aluminum supplier and want to double volumes and they tell you sure, for a 50% price premium because they're supply constrained too. Then you talk to the kitchen parts supplier and say hey we want to increase our PO with you by 2x and they say gently caress off we're already sold out through mid 2022. So now, does it make sense for you to scale? You should probably just put in a small price increase and take the profits.

Lastly, nobody wants to scale up and be left holding the bag. Companies are super capex averse these days.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

First of all, not everything is scalable at a reasonable lead time.

Second, everything now is part of a vast global supply chain. Take the Bean. Maybe you can hire guys and put in tooling to make twice as many in the same time, and that's got a good business case and whatever. You start talking to your aluminum supplier and want to double volumes and they tell you sure, for a 50% price premium because they're supply constrained too. Then you talk to the kitchen parts supplier and say hey we want to increase our PO with you by 2x and they say gently caress off we're already sold out through mid 2022. So now, does it make sense for you to scale? You should probably just put in a small price increase and take the profits.

Lastly, nobody wants to scale up and be left holding the bag. Companies are super capex averse these days.
Ya, that all makes sense. Brain fart considering I'm in the market for new PC parts and understand that they're having the same supply problems.

From my perspective I was toy shopping last year and ended up just not buying anything because I didn't want to drop thousands on something I might not be wanting anymore a year later.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The Bean looks amazing and build quality looks too notch. If it’s in your budget by all means! Just seems so pricey (says someone who has spent $40k in a month on JDM imports). But seriously the pics and from your impression it sounds like an awesome camper/trailer!

In other news I have way too many cars and my kids were begging for a LHD car (out of 20+ I don’t own one).

I traded my mint bit not starting Surf for this. 92 Cruiser 163k, rust free. Nothing out of pocket to me. Trader shipped both ways. I probably got the short end of the stick. I doubt anyone wants to help but it idles rough at times and will only start in neutral not park.

Brand new tires. Hey I’m always up for something different and my oldest has been getting tired of being dropped off at middle school in tiny Japanese cara. No one appreciates anything.

I have a beautiful Crown Majesta arriving this month as a keeper bit I’d like to keep the Cruiser as well if I can get it fully sorted if not should be an easy sell.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The starting issue is almost certainly the park/neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

The starting issue is almost certainly the park/neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission.

Sweet is that a hard fix? Or I assume
Pretty accessible on this lifted one. I’ll go ahead and look up the part at work tomorrow. Thank you!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

To KGJ’s comment it’s definitely, it’s definitely a situation likely where they want to control their scalability. You expand too fast and it could all collapse in (like the Krispy Kreme donut craze I studied in college). When you keep it small batch you can really focus on quality assurance. Scaling up can make for smaller margins that need to be made up in massive volume. More staffing, bigger manufacturing etc. If you have too many customers for your product it means you don’t have enough inventory or you’re not charging enough or somewhere in between. In talking with him he said lead times before covid weren’t too far different as they were usually pumping 4-5 a week. They’ve doubled output.

While I will probably only get to use it two times or maybe three times before winter hits I went ahead with it because the other certainty that will be coming in a very hard way is costs will go up. Inflation is coming/already here and we’re in the stages where a lot of businesses are choosing to absorb it while they pivot and work out new processes.

Everdave - that 80 is sweet and if it’s truly rust free with just a few things that need to be addressed I’d say you made out pretty clean. The price of an 80 is mental right now. Agree with the above about that switch for the transmission shifter. Grab some new plugs, check all the vacuum hoses for leaks. Replace them with real stuff. It looks pretty well outfitted with nice armor already. Nice color too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I bet you're going to love not having the tent on the Lexus full time.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
bean looks really cool, and I'm not even in to that kind of thing -

campers have always intrigued me, but the fact that I don't have a lot of space (well I do, but I also have a lot of cars) has always been the limiting factor for me.

I'm sure you saw my super sketchy trailer, my plan was to build my own version of a small camper, but that turned out to be a bit too much of an undertaking on the old rickety pile that just found me.

also... I made a post recently on the UJZ100 facebook group and got lots and lots and lots of input, but I should share it here too to get the ai 80/100 owner thoughts on the matter

quote:

alright, I'm fed up with this stupid thing - I don't do much towing, but when I do I find myself having to grind, hack and get so frustrated I cant see straight with this stupid hitch - firstly, are these things undersized for anyone else? because nearly every hitch that I own/borrow wont just slide in this thing without grinding the coating plus a few thou off - then, once I get done grinding it, I have to hack the back off of it so it wont hit the spare. I can't keep modifying my own and my friends hitches just to be able to use the drat thing.

I'm going to just break down and buy the DrawTite:
https://www.amazon.com/.../B0016.../ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1...

I know, ground clearance, its ugly, blah blah blah - but I'm at the end of my rope with the bumper mount - anyone have experience with this one? does it still contact the tire? is there another way?

EDIT - also - thoughts on this ?

according to the forums you gain up to 20% better fuel milage.

https://cruiserteq.com/ifs-100-seri...cPNJ5RDIajygkK8

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 5, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Without knowing anything about it, how long will it take for a theoretical 20% fuel saving to pay for the $900 (excluding mounting costs)?

That being said, it will make it easier to drift. :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

20% seems like a giant stretch for not having your front driveshaft and axle shafts spinning.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

bean looks really cool, and I'm not even in to that kind of thing -

campers have always intrigued me, but the fact that I don't have a lot of space (well I do, but I also have a lot of cars) has always been the limiting factor for me.

I'm sure you saw my super sketchy trailer, my plan was to build my own version of a small camper, but that turned out to be a bit too much of an undertaking on the old rickety pile that just found me.

also... I made a post recently on the UJZ100 facebook group and got lots and lots and lots of input, but I should share it here too to get the ai 80/100 owner thoughts on the matter

EDIT - also - thoughts on this ?

according to the forums you gain up to 20% better fuel milage.

https://cruiserteq.com/ifs-100-seri...cPNJ5RDIajygkK8

I have seen your trailer in your thread - that is an ambitious undertaking. Th Bean should be great for size. Funny enough that post came up in my notifications, I read some of the replies. I have never towed anything so it is something I will need to figure out - I ordered my Bean with a max coupler fully articulating hitch instead of the regular ball style so it can stay connected if I go up things that are a little more sketchy. I have no idea what kind of connector I need to get for my Lexus but I have some time to figure that out. I need to research and complete wiring a 7 pin connector too, the Bean uses electronic brakes.

That part time kit is sweet. Honestly if I had a cherry low mile 100 and/or I was putting a ton of miles on mine I would consider doing it. The install seems pretty involved but the trade off of not trashing your CVs at such a high rate might make it worth it. Fuel mileage is whatever. So you gain 1 MPG over what you have now? Woohoo? It is the wear and tear on the driveline that would be the real improvement.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Whatever you do DONT part time your 100 series/LX. The chassis and suspension was designed from the ground up to work with the constant 4wd system and they handle like an utter bucket of poo poo without the front wheels doing their part. My mate has a part time'd TD 100 and it handles so much worse than my full time one- understeers around corners, handles like arse on gravel roads cos the back tries to step out all the time, just drives poo poo. Your better off doing the pin7 mod (so you can use low range without the center diff auto locking) and buying a set of upper control arms with your $900.

And for fuel usage?

My full time truck averages 13.7L/100. His part time averages 13.6

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went for a far too long drive to the corner of the state. I mean the literal very corner, where Utah, Nevada, and Arizona meet.

The road to get there started out as a good gravel road, turned into an okay gravel road, and eventually became a road only people with ATVs or SxSs were taking. That was just based on the tread impressions and the 5 SxSs I saw

Didn't stop me from doing it all in the truck

I will say the washboard patterns on the gravel roads were interesting. Normally it's one bump all the way across. These ones were offset and the effect was a horrendous rocking motion side to side

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bumping my thread with some progress. Work has been consuming every bit of energy I have outside of raising my kids but the Lexus continues to be made better. Previously on Somewhat Heroic's Huge Tiny Mistake I order the wrong seat leather and lose all motivation for finishing off the driver seat. My wife took the kids to her parents for Spring Break over a couple of days giving me time to watch the Snyder Cut and get around to finishing this project. The after makes me realize that while a huge stupid thing it looks miles better than where I left off:

(Headrest not upholstered yet because :effort:)

Bonus :barf: of the previous owners sins for all to see

I also managed to scratch the poo poo out of the leather on the steering wheel while tetrising the seat back into position. At least I haven't replaced it yet and probably should since it is pretty worn anyhow :suicide:

Bean Trailer update: they posted on their socials last week that they have a 4 month lead time for orders placed now so perhaps they are increasing output? Maybe I will see my trailer before October? I am going to email my rep tomorrow rather than bombard him with petty things he doesn't need to worry about on a Monday.

This is all the time for today, but I will preview my next post; solo camping trip, sand like glitter, and the smell of two stroke:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Goddamn that truck is so beautiful, everytime I see it it makes me sort of regret buying the 4Runner instead. Maybe with some rimz and a roof rack I could come close lol

Speaking of, I just did drivetrain fluid maintenance on mine to prepare for a season of offroading and towing the rallycross car. Changed the diffs and t case fluids, lubed the driveshafts, and did a drain and fill of the trans fluid again. Just doing the fluid maintenance made a whole host of grindy/whirr-ey/clunky noises go away, which feels amazing. Something that cropped up before the winter though was this irregular/cyclical vibration that only happens in 2WD. I guess this is common on Tacomas with the A750E transmission after they do a lift job, but I could barely find anything on the 4Runner with this issue. I guess it's the front left needle bearing on the diff that wears out and rubs flat spots against the (wheel) driveshaft. I got a replacement part from ECGS, who make this replacement bushing since it's such a common issue... except now that I've turned off 4WD for the first time in ~5 months, the vibration isn't reproducible any more. Anyone have any experience with this? I have the part and I'm ready to pull the wheel and axle to do the swap but now maybe it resolved itself? I dunno.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Man - I really wish a company would go above and beyond to make seat covers for 100s that actually looked correct - Not to disrespect in the least, but there hasn't been one recovered seat I've seen that comes close to the look of stock. For me, when I was looking at a car, it was basically a dead giveaway. It is miles better than the stock deteriorated seats - I feel like if my seats weren't so nice, I'd wind up doing a custom job on mine at a shop - same patterns but with black leather and fabric inserts for my custom fantasies.

Great work tho!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Goddamn that truck is so beautiful, everytime I see it it makes me sort of regret buying the 4Runner instead. Maybe with some rimz and a roof rack I could come close lol

Find a set of factory take offs from a newer model/higher trim level 4Runner and put the KO2's on there! It will look worlds different. Look at the before and afters on both of my Lexuses (Lexus, Lexi?)

LobsterboyX posted:

Man - I really wish a company would go above and beyond to make seat covers for 100s that actually looked correct - Not to disrespect in the least, but there hasn't been one recovered seat I've seen that comes close to the look of stock. For me, when I was looking at a car, it was basically a dead giveaway. It is miles better than the stock deteriorated seats - I feel like if my seats weren't so nice, I'd wind up doing a custom job on mine at a shop - same patterns but with black leather and fabric inserts for my custom fantasies.

Great work tho!

Yeah I mean I am sure it would have turned out much better if I had ordered the correct covers from the get. Looking back I would probably find an upholstery shop and have them put in some Katzkin's. I have seen them on other cars and they turn out great.

I am posting for a second time this week because I have HUGE BEAN NEWS:siren:

I received a text on my drive home (which I didn't see because I don't look or text whilst driving) from the sales rep at Bean:

quote:

Have an opportunity to get a trailer a little sooner for you.

We had a Meaner Bean that was ordered that accidentally made as a Mean Bean.

Pretty similar build as your except it is the Silver instead of the White, and has the premium plus galley, instead of the premium galley.

Would be ready in about a week.

So what happened was some dude a month or two or three? before me ordered a Mean Bean and two weeks later went for the Meaner option...except somewhere along the way that didn't get changed in the system and they end up with a Bean optioned out nearly identical to what I am going with (laminate option and a couple other things). Color is slightly different with silver sides. New is a "armadillo" lined end caps which is a nice touch to make the fiberglass cap more rugged. It is the higher spec kitchen which I personally was kind of thinking I should have gone with (+$600). They need to install some sliders, remove the awning and remove the bike rack which is as simple as just unbolting.

But LOOK AT IT

:hellyeah:

So @LobsterboyX do you have a 7 pin connector? Do you have an electronic brake controller because I need to add both of those to my machine. I am looking at the Curt 51140 TriFlex controller. I have some 4 pin thing in there now that will need to come out.

so researching some threads on ih8mud...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’d say happy to take it for no up charge, why pay the difference?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

everdave posted:

I’d say happy to take it for no up charge, why pay the difference?

I mean of course that’s naturally where the mind goes and I might have considered the gamble but I didn’t for a couple reasons:
They’ve got an order list about 100 deep and he chose to contact me first on this. He’s doing me a solid by getting this to me months sooner than when mine would be done

The value is there; it’s a higher end option so I’m not getting overcharged.

I can afford the difference, and in the scope of the whole thing we’re talking an increase in price by like 2%. Should I need anything warrantied or help in the future I’d rather be known as a delightful customer to work with.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I do have a 7 pin connector, but brake controller, unless there's one installed in the thing already, no. I did have to buy a converter to be able to use the uhaul trailers as they are 4 pin connectors.

I'm far from an expert when it comes to towing stuff, but that thing doesn't strike me as something that would really need a trailer brake controller? I'm fully willing to admit I'm wrong, but having personally towed stuff that is probably heavier than that with both my FJ and my hundy, it's never really struck me as something I'd be looking to upgrade. As a matter of fact, now that I'm thinking about it, the last time I towed the big black trailer we actually disconnected the trailer brake wire, so I guess it does have a controller from the factory.

As I said before, the only thing that bugged me about towing with the 100 was the factory in frame receiver which I do want to replace.. next time I'm slated to tow anything is in September so I have a bit of time.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I mean of course that’s naturally where the mind goes and I might have considered the gamble but I didn’t for a couple reasons:
They’ve got an order list about 100 deep and he chose to contact me first on this. He’s doing me a solid by getting this to me months sooner than when mine would be done

The value is there; it’s a higher end option so I’m not getting overcharged.

I can afford the difference, and in the scope of the whole thing we’re talking an increase in price by like 2%. Should I need anything warrantied or help in the future I’d rather be known as a delightful customer to work with.

I understand, if you are happy with it that is all that matters.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I don’t even know that I’d be worried about a trailer that size even having brakes.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

With a brand new RV in the USA, you *will* have warranty items. The trailer might be great but every goddamn component is made by only a couple manufacturers known for low quality. Because there are no other places to get the parts they can also punish RV manufacturers who try to buy this or that from other places.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

I don’t even know that I’d be worried about a trailer that size even having brakes.

Thats what I was thinking..

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

LobsterboyX posted:

Thats what I was thinking..

Maybe not necessary but a very nice safety thing. During normal conditions who cares, but if you have to panic stop in the rain or are using it in the snow you're really compromising your ability to stop; the trailer will continue to push the rear end around on a loose/slick surface rather than braking and having a tendency to better keep itself straight behind the vehicle. Especially if you load it down a lot to camp with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I mean what is the point in half assing it, right? The trailer has some electronic brakes, might as well use them. Plus I think a 7 pin will allow me to power/charge the onboard battery to the trailer while driving.