Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bloody posted:

hello ai overlanding thread! I was sent here from the great outdoors RVing thread. Here's what I posted there:

I really think a Four Wheel Campers of some variant will be the ultimate choice for you. they seem reasonably priced for the entry models and are well regarded in the community. Camp-X seems like an ultra premium version of a bed style camper and look great. For other YouTube stuff about "overland" stuff I mentioned a few over in the RV thread but I would also check out the X Overland team. They have a massive following on instagram, they have had a few episodes/series on Amazon Prime and they don't seem to be single-platform specific with their content. Either way keep this thread updated!

everdave posted:

After the first Bean outing are you happy with the purchase?

I apparently haven't replied enough in this thread. I am extremely happy, and with three outings now done I am totally geeking out. Really impressed overall with the build quality. Everyone that has seen it (friends and family) all think the same.

I am so short on time in my life I would love to do more in depth write ups. In lieu of that have some photos instead from this weekend where we went back up the same canyon as my wife and I just went to a few weeks ago but this time we had some friends join. She just got a Happier Camper HC1 and was kind of the genesis for the micro/tiny camper. Fair warning - if you thought the Bean was cute then prepare to weep at the sight of "Dot" (what she named her camper).

This meant two things: the whole family would be going and also would mean it was time to make sure my calculations for my garage/tent/trailer heights were all accurate and correct. So I spent a Saturday moving my ARB to the Bean.

You can see how much higher the load bars for mounting the tent are compared to my Eezi-Awn rack of the Lexus.

So the ladder was basically vertical to touch the ground when locked into the little keeper holes. So I drilled new holes to put the ladder at an angle to help support the overhang of the tent.

Upstairs and downstairs!

It was immediately apparent that the tent was not going to fit with the ladder installed. So I removed the ladder and figured some threaded stub knobs and wingnuts would make it a relatively simple install/removal step for the tent.

Did I mention that it looked like it would be tight going into the garage? This is the cover and the rubber weather strip around my garage door.

It fits!

After spending a huge chunk of my Saturday getting this moved over and measured so it was all balanced/centered I was stewing over the cover always draped and covering a door and thinking about where I stick the ladder when in transit. So I did what any reasonable person would do. I browsed local classifieds for iKamper roof tents. There was a retiree :siren:BOOMER:siren: that listed his 5 night used Skycamp 2.0, with the Yakima load bars/adapters clamps etc. for sale. $3000, pictured hanging from a harness in his garage. He said he thought they would like camping as retirees, but turns out they didn't care for it. It lived on his car for 7 months and hung in the garage for 15 months. Used it five times. New these are $3900 + sales tax and this thing was brand new/perfect. Paid the man his money and then installed it undoing all of my previous work:

Does it fit? Yes*
*when the front tongue wheel is just the right height and if I lower the air pressure a little bit. Without lowering the air pressure I rubbed the tiniest little bit on my garage door trim/weather strip.
Did I also mention I installed it the night before we went to go camping? Well because I did. So much for planning!

I realize this whole post is getting very photo heavy and word heavy so I will split it up and do a trip report on the next posting. For now enjoy(or don't) some photos:

SO Much bigger (a king size bed) than the ARB. There are some great things and not as great things compared. I will give details later.

I was particularly pleased with this edit and photo.

Come on. Who wouldn't want this in their life?^^^ Bonus doodle-floofer seen stage right

Last pic and preface to a full trip report/more photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Come on. Who wouldn't want this in their life?^^^ Bonus doodle-floofer seen stage right

Yeah, that's really cute too. I neither need nor have a place to put either but I want both

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We're going ahead with an OVRLND build. Now we get to spend the next 6+ months preparing the truck and figuring out how we want to build it out!

I'm the third owner of the truck as of like 18 months ago and it's currently at around 130k miles. As far as I know it's basically stock except for the audio system (original owner, I think, upgraded it, and now it has carplay) and the missing skid plate, whose bolts rusted to bits at the last oil change. Idk what the tires and wheels are but they look pretty rough and I know the tires have quite a few patches (because I keep putting nails and screws in them). My naive list of "stuff to probably do to the truck" stands at:
* new skid plate
* replace wheels & upgrade tires
* upgrade the rear suspension? We're aiming for a light build but will still probably wind up pushing the limits re: GVWR
* brakes?

I haven't done much car work beyond rebuilding a door in recent history. I'm also thinking about taking it to a dealer or something to get a detailed inspection for poo poo I don't know how to check myself.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
A cruiser? What do you have?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4WD Double Cab SR-5 Long Bed, to use the full title

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Bloody posted:

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4WD Double Cab SR-5 Long Bed, to use the full title

Post some pics!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I swear I had replied to this thread but I probably had it half posted then ended up closing all my tabs. The Bean with the new tent looks great, I'm spoiled by a California king bed so it always feels a bit cramped if I have to share a queen. The Happier Campier is also interesting, I sent it to my sister and she's in love but just bought a fairly large trailer as she wanted three beds and room for dogs. She lucked out and bought a house that had a huge slab for camper storage (not visible from the street even) before she had a trailer, I wouldn't have anywhere to store it where I live. The Bean seems like a better off-road option though.

Basically:

builds character posted:

Yeah, that's really cute too. I neither need nor have a place to put either but I want both

Bloody - those are pretty cool, I hadn't really paid attention to them before as they're only for trucks AFAIK, but I like that they keep the truck bed portion fairly usable. As a fellow tall person it would be nice to be able to stand up. I once spent a week on a very nice sailboat but while it was amazing, I felt like I was constantly worried about bonking my head and just ended up walking around hunched over all the time. It looks like they're pretty light (~300lbs), unless you have a lot of other gear it seems like it would work with the stock suspension? Assuming it was in good shape and all that but the 4x4 thread would probably have a better idea. I can see increasing the spring rate when you know you're adding weight that will always be there, which is commonly done on the GXs, but do pickups assume you'll often have a decent amount of weight in the back?

*edit*
this thread, which I also thought I had replied to and apparently missed
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755109

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 23, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Got my sliders installed, I had been planning on doing it myself but I hurt my hand so I paid a shop. I wanted to do it myself so I was 100% happy with the cuts, but the shop was great and had me come by and check out their initial cut of the running boards and we both agreed we needed to cut off more. I'm glad they checked first though to make sure I agreed with removing more, as you can't really go back once you cut more off. The chrome is still driving me crazy but I'm not healed enough to do a good job with the vinyl wrap so I need to wait a bit longer until I wrap it all up. I don't know what you call those white + chrome strips on the door but I don't like them and I'm annoyed they fixed it in the 2021 GXs as it makes me want one of those.

The pics make them look more noticeable than they are in person, they're actually pretty subtle. I also have to say RSG Metalworks estimated 5 to 6 weeks and got them shipped to me on time, I'll be recommending them in the future. I still need to ping CBI, when I ordered my bumper they estimated 6 weeks, now their page estimates 10 weeks but I ordered 15 weeks ago. I'm going out of town for three months in two weeks so while I can have it shipped to a friend's house, I feel bad taking up garage space for 3 months when I don't know how big the box is going to be.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
They look really great! also, what a cool driveway...

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

everdave posted:

Post some pics!

As of today my topper deposit is submitted and it should be ready in just 6-9 months!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

They look really great! also, what a cool driveway...

Thanks! That driveway is pretty cool, it makes a very distinctive sound as you drive over it, but unfortunately it's not mine. I was just dropping something off at someone's house and realized it was late enough in the day that the light would make my car look clean so I could take a pic of my sliders to send to my buddies. I find it much easier to just take a pic at 7:30pm than to actually detail the truck. I imagine you need to refill the rock on the driveway periodically as you lose little bits here and there, I should ask them.

In other news, it turns out if you get a chance to go back in time you should just buy LX 470s rather than a lotto ticket:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks! That driveway is pretty cool, it makes a very distinctive sound as you drive over it, but unfortunately it's not mine. I was just dropping something off at someone's house and realized it was late enough in the day that the light would make my car look clean so I could take a pic of my sliders to send to my buddies. I find it much easier to just take a pic at 7:30pm than to actually detail the truck. I imagine you need to refill the rock on the driveway periodically as you lose little bits here and there, I should ask them.

In other news, it turns out if you get a chance to go back in time you should just buy LX 470s rather than a lotto ticket:

We are quite literally heading to where if you have a Land Cruiser (or Lexus equivalent) you're in ownership of an NSX or Supra.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I’m the bike mounts on top of the roof rack. That person is smoking some serious crack and just lol at spending all that money on accessories and ‘never driven off-road’.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Arishtat posted:

I’m the bike mounts on top of the roof rack. That person is smoking some serious crack and just lol at spending all that money on accessories and ‘never driven off-road’.

Same as every mall-crawler Jeep/Truck... spend literal thousand of dollars on parts, but never actually use them for their intended purposes. It's their money, :shrug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Loooong boi.

MomJeans420 posted:

Never off-road - tons of off-road upgrades :thunk:

e: f,b.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Those look great! It is so nice for peace of mind knowing you have extra clearance and protection. I have bumped my sliders a couple of times since my install.

Bloody posted:

As of today my topper deposit is submitted and it should be ready in just 6-9 months!

Waiting is the hardest part. Should be awesome when you get it though!

KakerMix posted:

We are quite literally heading to where if you have a Land Cruiser (or Lexus equivalent) you're in ownership of an NSX or Supra.

This is freaking me out and my longing for a 200 series grows...

Couple of quick updates before the long weekend. Bean is currently hitched up to the Lexus at home while I watch the clock count down to take off from the office. Heading out for our first two-nighter!

Where we last left off:

This Trail is finally opened again. We were ill-prepared in that we did not have our swimsuits, and I didn't bring a backpack which would have been much easier to carry water/more water with. It ended up being longer than anticipated as well but our kids - amazing. The older two hiked the whole thing, 5 miles round trip. It was a moderate elevation climb, stunning scenery and ends at a hot springs bed with multiple pools all cascading. Some were hot like probably 110 degrees hot. The water in some were a bluish grey hue, and others blue green. The sulfur smell was pretty strong but kind of was okay since it was nature being nature.

Video of some of the hot springs. In vertical video for the gram (don't judge)
EDIT: Imgur didn't upload the vid, just a still so here is the link to the video:
Linked Video

It was a great trip and I would definitely want to come here again better prepared. We were early enough in the day there weren't too many people on the trail or at the springs where we could enjoy it to ourselves. If you are doing this in the middle of the summer you better make it at the first light OR in the night time because it is hot as balls otherwise. I have more short video clips of the hike but the scenery of the canyon was stunning, truly. There were some great wildflowers as well.

About three weeks ago the warm glow of my battery/charge light greeted me on my way home from work. Good news is the deep cycle battery didn't even sweat getting me home and held above 13V the whole drive home. Surprising because I have seen this before. The Toyota reman died. I went with NAPA and got a reman'd Denso which is the other one highly rated among the community. Referencing my first time - you can get it from the bottom, without removing any hoses. No PS pump removal, no PS reservoir removal. Probably done in a fourth the time.

Except, you know my stupid harness clip broke trying to get it un-stuck:

Didn't want to see you for another twenty years.

Former me would probably think "quick release harness for future me! No problems!" but I know better. So I went to the dealer and spent $10 and waited two days to get a new clip and replaced it. Quite pleased with myself.

I am leveling up in my wrenchability

It has been a good week and the battery light was gone immediately and running perfectly just in time for my trip this weekend.

Tonight this will be my view (iphone nightshot at 10 seconds on a tripod. Pretty amazing this actually works at all)

Happy Independence Day goons!

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 2, 2021

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I posted a couple photos in the RV thread and one in the Post Your Ride thread, but here are two photo dumps of camping over independence day; and a couple interior photos which have been requested since I have not posted much on the inside.

still small

Propane fire pit is very good when fire bans are in effect.

the smallest enjoying his birthday present (and figuring out how to pose?)

I even got a little wheel time in

Full album with more photos:
https://imgur.com/a/vdgawb1

Interior! I will just quote my post from the RV Thread with link to full imgur album

Somewhat Heroic posted:

...I realized after you posted I have not taken any interior detailed photos so after washing off the tree sap today from last weekend I thought I would pull the DSLR out and take some interior shots to hopefully illustrate what is going on. I have plans to eventually compile a video review/overview once I get enough content and media and experience with it so it can be of some value overall. I found that there is not much user-generated content/reviews on the Bean and I like to do that kind of thing.

These were mostly shot at 20mm. The interior is very nice. The front and ceiling are upholstered with a soft touch/lightly padded vinyl. The laminate wood is precision cut and smoothed edges everywhere. It all has a nice heft. The cabinets all have a bird latch catch and they are a pass-through to the back galley kitchen, so those bins are available to inside and out. The mattress folds up to a nice little love seat, or it can have the top part folded down and tucked back further under the cabinets. The floor is nice and rugged and has tie downs. Easy to clean. The little storage cubby cover converts to a table. All lights are LED and dimmable. There is a little phone/electronics cubby with key holder and easy access to USB charging, a cup holder, 10 speed fan with remote that you can vent or change directions. The window opens, each door has a screen. There are some reading lights.

The "Bean There" are backer plates for the stand on fenders to easily access your roof rack gear/accessories. It looks like I need to clean off some of the protective plastic reside from the laser cut process. The little Bean trailer etched in on the spare tire backing plate is also a nice touch. Everywhere you look you can see thought and care which makes me really appreciate it. Every little detail has been addressed from non-slip surfaces in the "attic" cubbies, the shapes of how the laminate is cut, etc.

The whole "floor" space is about the size of a queen bed. The interior height is higher than most standard tear drop trailers so it doesn't feel cramped at all especially with the recessed LED lights and white roof.

Without wanting to post 20 photos in a single thing have a link to the Imgur gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/qB60stP

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

when y'all (without trailers) stay at campgrounds, do you use tent sites or rv sites?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Yes.

Often the difference is power and water availability. If that’s important to you, stay in an RV space.

Sometimes tent spaces have better views, but some are walk-in with no sleeping in your vehicle.

It really depends on the campground.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am not an expert but I’ve taken some jdm campers and vans lately to the waterfall campsites nearby and rv sites have power tents do not. So it was nice to have an extension cord just to power things and the price was only $20 more

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Bloody posted:

when y'all (without trailers) stay at campgrounds, do you use tent sites or rv sites?

I will stay at a campground if it's free and there are no other people there (e.g. mid-week during the off season).

But I almost always stay at dispersed camping spots or at the end of spur roads, etc. I pretty much stick to National Forests and BLM land, and some state land managed by fish & game. My camping style doesn't really mesh with CA state parks, though.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Bloody posted:

My setup is geared towards dry camping so I try to find dispersed camping first, then tent sites if reservations or registration is required.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My plan all along when I bought a white GX was to get bronze wheels when I got a lift installed (going down to 17" wheels from the OEM 18"), but I have to admit I'm tempted by this matte blue:

I'll have to see how it looks in person. I'd also like the truck to be not really noticeable unless you're into this sort of thing, and blue doesn't really work there. I was thinking about these a month ago and decided against it, but I keep on coming back to considering them. This is the bronze I had been planning on:

If nothing else the matte blue matches my motorcycle helmet. I think the blue may be a bit much but if anyone has an opinion, let me know.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MomJeans420 posted:

My plan all along when I bought a white GX was to get bronze wheels when I got a lift installed (going down to 17" wheels from the OEM 18"), but I have to admit I'm tempted by this matte blue:

I'll have to see how it looks in person. I'd also like the truck to be not really noticeable unless you're into this sort of thing, and blue doesn't really work there. I was thinking about these a month ago and decided against it, but I keep on coming back to considering them. This is the bronze I had been planning on:

If nothing else the matte blue matches my motorcycle helmet. I think the blue may be a bit much but if anyone has an opinion, let me know.

I am of one mind on this:

Go with the bronze wheels, and white letter tires. I'd even go with white wheels personally, though I understand that's beyond what most people are willing to do.
A+++ it will look great, the blue looks too much like black (at least from these pictures and perhaps after a bit of brake dust) and will look like every other 'GRRR ANGRY' look everyone does now and is on aprox. 90% of any GX or LX or Land Cruiser.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Really really like the blue - haven’t seen that before - but I do think the bronze would work better on your setup. I think with all the accessories it would kind of clash (blue)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I like the blue, if, to address Kaker's concerns, it's bright enough to not look black. Also depending on the truck color, of course.

edit: it's hard to go wrong with bronze, though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's surprisingly hard to find photos of these wheels already on a vehicle, but you guys are right, looks way too dark/black once it's on the vehicle. I can look at them in person but they look pretty dark on this white truck, depending on the shot. I guess more of a gunmetal than black, but still. It's a fine line because if they were too bright a blue they would be a bit much, but then too dark and you lose the blue look.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

First - those WORK wheels are fantastic. My only request is that you use the center wheel caps. I never understand when people put really flash wheels on but have exposed centers. The blue screams "JDM" which I definitely think could fit your build depending on what you do with the rest of your machine. If they were a little brighter blue where there is no mistaking the color I might be drawn to it more but where they are so dark it would probably come off as black in nearly all conditions.

Bronze is hot; and it would look so good with a set of white letter tires.

I went out this weekend. Exploring in the Uintas for a little reconnaissance mission for future camping spots with the Bean. I also wanted to see if we could escape the smoke from the California fires that have settled in Salt Lake. Spoiler - it didn't work but the air quality was better than the valley and it was 17 degrees cooler which felt amazing.

The test was to see about getting up to this great little mountain lake. Unfortunately I think it would be a little too tight to fit the Bean and probably a little more harsh than I want to submit to; unless I am happy with going ONE mph.

ways this could be better: white letters out

In the 18 months I have had this it has taken us some pretty great places.

The kids got to drink Sprite which made it extra cool for them

Stopped at the Provo Falls and played in the water. Little dude also put the water-proofness to the test. He loved seeing it go all the way under water like a sub and drive around.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My thread is slipping, and that is largely because the "project" side of this has mostly ended. Now it is just putting a bunch of miles on it and enjoying it. The thing rides harsh. It rattles. It is still very good.

I went camping with my boys the other weekend. It was nice that we didn't need to set up the tent or do anything overly complicated with food stuff.

It was cold at night, dipping into the forties at the coldest temps. I was loving the cool weather myself. The boys got cold so we got the camp fire.

I am really glad we got this propane powered fire pit this year. It is nice to have the fire atmosphere but also not potentially setting the entire western states on fire. Helps manage bugs and adds a little warmth while I got the bedding set up. When you are done you simply shut it off and put the lid on it.

The aspens make for a nice back drop. I suspect the leaves will be changing in the next four weeks or so.

In the morning we hooked up and drove out. I thought it would be fun to catch a little shot of the Lexus and Bean driving over the top. I couldn't find my GoPro so I set my phone up...which got knocked over by the chain so I just edited that part out.

https://imgur.com/uT6tj4z

Stopped to enjoy the scenes as well as the air before driving back down into the smoke and smog.

This buck was spotted on our way down. We sat for at least a minute just looking at him. It was just 20 yards from an adolescent fawn we had seen. We also spotted a moose and her two calves on our drive up. I haven't seen a moose in ages so that was pretty neat to see. They are HUGE.

So where am I at right now with all this? Coming back around to the beginning. Call it boredom. Call it stupidity. Call it insanity :thejoke:. With Kakermix deciding to move on from importing cool Japanese iron I am having the thought of giving it a shot myself. I have bid on probably four or five machines and lost on all of them. I am now of the persuasion that I will not be losing my next bid.

My brain has decided a Turbo Diesel 80 series would be cool to have and maybe that could be the adventure thing? If it doesn't work out I can sell it and maybe make some money (or lose horribly). Hoping for cool and good content to keep flowing after all the hard work done before by Kaker.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CruiserFest 2021!

With a promise of being better than 2020, CruiserFest 2021 was schedule for the 11th of September. It would also be the official ribbon cutting ceremony of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum's new location; just about 12 blocks from the former location in Salt Lake City. The (historic)newold building is a very cool old refinery or smelting plant of some sort. There are still some cranes and other accouterments from its former operation on display.

The thing that made this particularly cooler is that An Goonmeet took place between myself, Land Cruiser wikipedia Advent Horizon and McStephenson who happened to be local to me.

It was a particularly rainy Saturday morning. I showed up to the event a little earlier than the other two. When I reached for my camera and turned it on I was greeted with the message that there was no memory card. Stupid me. Left it in the reader so you will have to suffer iPhone photos.

Parking lot already looking promising

Out back there were some food trucks but also the "Show n Shine" if you were so inclined to register. These three I have followed and interacted with on Instagram. It was cool to meet up IRL. We have a mutual friend that is also a stud

The HJ61 has a bigger turbo swap and exhaust that makes it sound mean!

KakerMix has shown me the way of the decals and how they should be on everything.

After wandering around and gawking at the building I got a PM from Advent Horizon that he and McStephenson had arrived and were checking out the MegaCruisers. We walked around looking at all of the forbidden fruit.

A solid front axle 100 series with a gas I6!

Cool hood ornaments. This one had a diesel Mercedes engine

One of those icelandic Hilux trucks with the Giant Dick Cepek tires.

The show stopper (for me)

A 2015 GRJ76 Land Cruiser. It was beautiful. Next to it was a 80 series chassis with a 76 series body on it.

One small section was left to the unloved.

2nd gen Prados are cool though, right? Right? (foreshadowing...)

The peddle car art/display behind is a nice touch.

The afternoon was getting long and I needed to head out. We bought some swag (stickers/shirts) and Advent Horizon was cool enough to bring us some Alaskan souvenirs which was so cool and thoughtful. He brought a sweet Ulu knife that now lives with our Bean for when we are out camping and some cool native Alaskan stickers that are going on to my cooler.

No goonmeet is complete without a photo together!

If you find yourself in Alaska watch for this one...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I really want to go to a museum based around my car. That's pretty cool.

Question for you guys -

Do any of you use this dumb. loving. setup?

I've been complaining about this since I got my 100, my first 100 had a pretty nice under the bumper hitch, it was an 01, this one is an 05 and this thing is just too stupid. I had to cut a bit of the back off the hitch, then drill a new hole for the pin about an inch behind the original, oh fun heavy cutting with a grinder then drilling a 3/4" hole with a step bit on a 70 year old drill press - Oh did I mention that the hitch didn't fit in the receiver.. I had to grind off all the powder coat and two hand smash it in with a deadblow hammer. I finally got it in there, and whatever casting crust that was present inside the receiver got knocked off, greased it up and now it slips right in there. So basically an hour ordeal to get the hitch hooked up with a back yard modification that may or may not be safe? oh yeah, every time you put it in you have to lay on the ground and fish around the pin between the spare and bumper... and this uhaul hitch is probably going to be too high for the trailer I'm using this weekend, so I really just wasted time - I'm going to see if I can find a adjustable drop hitch locally, then I'm probably going to have to modify that to work in the same manner as this one.. but hey, at least I've had the practice and maybe I can do it a bit quicker this time.

I'm already way too invested in this to give up at this point, I should have just bought a draw-tite or kurt for this thing rather than struggling with this dumb setup - I mean, I get it, its a world vehicle and they wanted a way to please everyone with these stupid inserts, but this is far from practical - take it from me kids... buy the aftermarket.

In other news I'm going camping and racing this weekend, yay.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I hosed off the entire rear bumper, factory towbar and everything below the bodywork and fitted one of these to fix that on mine.

Mostly because 1) second spare for touring remotely, 2) that giant big fuel tank you can see underneath the rear where the spare normally lives.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I really want to go to a museum based around my car. That's pretty cool.

Question for you guys -

Do any of you use this dumb. loving. setup?

I've been complaining about this since I got my 100, my first 100 had a pretty nice under the bumper hitch, it was an 01, this one is an 05 and this thing is just too stupid. I had to cut a bit of the back off the hitch, then drill a new hole for the pin about an inch behind the original, oh fun heavy cutting with a grinder then drilling a 3/4" hole with a step bit on a 70 year old drill press - Oh did I mention that the hitch didn't fit in the receiver.. I had to grind off all the powder coat and two hand smash it in with a deadblow hammer. I finally got it in there, and whatever casting crust that was present inside the receiver got knocked off, greased it up and now it slips right in there. So basically an hour ordeal to get the hitch hooked up with a back yard modification that may or may not be safe? oh yeah, every time you put it in you have to lay on the ground and fish around the pin between the spare and bumper... and this uhaul hitch is probably going to be too high for the trailer I'm using this weekend, so I really just wasted time - I'm going to see if I can find a adjustable drop hitch locally, then I'm probably going to have to modify that to work in the same manner as this one.. but hey, at least I've had the practice and maybe I can do it a bit quicker this time.

I'm already way too invested in this to give up at this point, I should have just bought a draw-tite or kurt for this thing rather than struggling with this dumb setup - I mean, I get it, its a world vehicle and they wanted a way to please everyone with these stupid inserts, but this is far from practical - take it from me kids... buy the aftermarket.

In other news I'm going camping and racing this weekend, yay.

If you find yourself in Salt Lake I will meet up with you and go to the museum if you want to Goonmeet. 13/10 would meet again.

Seems like the draw-tite bar thing is probably the way to go. They really at a lot of beef to that rear assembly as well so should someone try to run up on you it probably would hold up better. My original LX had a factory rear tow bar thingy, the white one has some aftermarket thing that seems to work fine. I still haven't wired my 7 pin for power or a separate brake controller. It is only running the lights but I like the idea of having trailer brakes help slow the Bean down. It is a project for winter at this point.

So venturing into the unknown and emboldened by KakerMix's most excellent thread I decided to venture into the life of importing something. I had like 5 different vehicles inspected. I have bid on three or four? One I was beaten so badly it made me question my life choices. A second I was VERY interested and hopeful to win, but I fell asleep and didn't catch an email saying "Hey, a client has bid more than you, do you want to increase the bid" and I lost on a very cool 1st gen Prado by like $1800?

Then I found something GREEN and very enticing.

It had so many things going for it. One owner, 213K kms, timing belt service done at 201K. Those yellow TOYOTA fog lights? yes. A tire cover with a dog on it and the phrase "Trekking through the wilderness brings me closer to nature"

I put in what would be considered a strong bid for a 2nd gen Prado. It is unloved at this point, and frankly pretty much a Grandpa looking car. And I WON. I had immense satisfaction.

It is currently sitting at port and I got a whole bunch of photos emailed me. Unfortunately the spare set of wheels and snow tires can't make the trip and had to be disposed of for about $50.

I am supremely hype :woop:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Throw a thermostat at it ASAP. They have an annoying habit of failing closed and the combination of alloy head and cast iron block means as soon as they get hot the head cracks. Had to replace a head on my parents KZN95 when it overheated and cracked.

That and the gearbox (in the manual) is weak are about the only flaws in them. They’re a solid little nugget of a 4wd

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Throw a thermostat at it ASAP. They have an annoying habit of failing closed and the combination of alloy head and cast iron block means as soon as they get hot the head cracks. Had to replace a head on my parents KZN95 when it overheated and cracked.

That and the gearbox (in the manual) is weak are about the only flaws in them. They’re a solid little nugget of a 4wd

Thanks for the tip! I haven't ordered filters yet (oil/air) so I will add that in the order. Thinking of grabbing some belts too at the same time because why not. I think I remember reading about you doing a head job in either a chat thread or this thread a while back.

What is wrong with the manual gearbox?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks for the tip! I haven't ordered filters yet (oil/air) so I will add that in the order. Thinking of grabbing some belts too at the same time because why not. I think I remember reading about you doing a head job in either a chat thread or this thread a while back.

What is wrong with the manual gearbox?

The R series box has a few design flaws in them that can cause failures due to Toyota trying to make it more civilised to live with on a daily basis (anyone who’s driven a full sized cruiser with the H series boxes will attest to how truck like they are).

There’s an issue with the 3rd gear synchro ring where they thinned out the main support ring and drilled holes in it to remove weight (which makes it spin up faster and shift easier) but it also made it weak and can crack from the holes, which jams up the box. There’s also a thrust washer behind 5th gear that early boxes had a square cut out for a location pin that created a stress riser, causing it to crack and lock the box in 5th. The updated part from Toyota has a nice rounded key way to stop that and then there’s an issue with the output shaft not being splined far enough for the coupler, which strips and then you loose all drive. Again there’s an updated part, both genuine and aftermarket to fix that.

They’re a nice box to live with, but they certainly aren’t anywhere near as strong as the H boxes, especially the early ones behind the 1KZ’s. Toyota used that box right through the N70 generation of Hilux with the 126KW 1KD motor so they did make them stronger as the years went past

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you find yourself in Salt Lake I will meet up with you and go to the museum if you want to Goonmeet. 13/10 would meet again.

Seems like the draw-tite bar thing is probably the way to go. They really at a lot of beef to that rear assembly as well so should someone try to run up on you it probably would hold up better. My original LX had a factory rear tow bar thingy, the white one has some aftermarket thing that seems to work fine. I still haven't wired my 7 pin for power or a separate brake controller. It is only running the lights but I like the idea of having trailer brakes help slow the Bean down. It is a project for winter at this point.

I'd love to come check it out, but It will probably be awhile, I want to reserve the hardcore traveling for when little man is out of diapers and doesnt need his nap to chill -

so.. $96 later I have a really nice 6" drop hitch that was customized my car - Called a buddy in the know and he turned me on to a trailer supply not too far from me. Now it seems to be in the perfect place, and I don't have to do anything too crazy to tow anything. So lesson is, for slightly less money than the aftermarket, and 4x the headache, you too can waste time like me!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Hello Boomer Thread! What started as Offroading for Boomers is transforming into Offroading for Weeaboos (did I use that term correctly?) I decided the only way to save my sanity in waiting for my Prado was to keep looking at auto auctions and boy let me tell you there was A LOT of looking worth having yesterday like this:

and the Mona Lisa:

Those are japanese seat doilies with the SURF logo embroidered. How could I resist?

1994 Hilux Surf. Automatic, 108,000kms. Graded a 4/C. The decals and fog lights had me weak. The low miles were my siren song. I had to get it inspected.

quote:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 83,200km, oil dirty but no sludge, coolant ok, transmission slightly oily but not dripping, tires at 70% ok, spare old, cargo area ok, undercarriage ok, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side torn 5cm along seam, other seats ok, dashboard glue remains, ceiling liner dirty, no burns, ac ok, at no shock or lag, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, mirrors ok, windows ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

Put in what I considered a strong bid. I got it well under that so I was quite pleased!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

Exciting update: they're making excellent progress on their backlog, and our build is on track to start in late November! It's time to start getting serious about 1) what options we want (good lord there's a lot of options: https://campovrlnd.com/products/ovrlnd-pop-top-camper) and 2) getting our truck ready, which will entail, idk, taking it to a mechanic and asking "whats the state of every wear component" and definitely new tires after I magnet-sweep the nails and screws out of the driveway. Maybe suspension upgrades of some sort? We should come in just under GVWR but it still seems prudent? Or maybe just, like, new shocks n struts or something. And a new skidplate, because the existing one rusted off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bloody posted:

Exciting update: they're making excellent progress on their backlog, and our build is on track to start in late November! It's time to start getting serious about 1) what options we want (good lord there's a lot of options: https://campovrlnd.com/products/ovrlnd-pop-top-camper) and 2) getting our truck ready, which will entail, idk, taking it to a mechanic and asking "whats the state of every wear component" and definitely new tires after I magnet-sweep the nails and screws out of the driveway. Maybe suspension upgrades of some sort? We should come in just under GVWR but it still seems prudent? Or maybe just, like, new shocks n struts or something. And a new skidplate, because the existing one rusted off.

That is exciting! Being told your timeline is moving up is VERY welcomed. It is hard to think when I signed up for my Bean I expected to be picking it up like...now? Instead we have had it out I believe 7 times at this point.

I looked over some of the options listed on that website and I would say:

Maxx fan with the exhaust and intake version. Note that this will require maintenance for the lap seal, and ultimately UV will probably claim it eventually if it is left in the outdoors forever. Having the MaxxFan in the bean is priceless and far better than just a vent.

I would probably go for the anodized skins. It is more durable and a minimal investment price considering how long you are considering owning this thing. Plus it likely sets yours apart from every other camper they will make. I would probably go clear anodized because black would absorb more heat.

I don't know if I am sold on the barn doors. Roof rails you can likely add later if you feel the need. I would say do everything for windows you can. Add as many as you can. The glass windows that slide? yes. Vinyl covering for the netting? Yes. As much light as you can get in even during inclement weather is WORTH IT for a tiny camper. Side flip up thing? Yeah I could see that being worth it but at $500 it is kind of steep. You need to consider your use case there. Brake light - yes. I want as much visibility back there that I am coming to a stop. You don't want people to be rear ending your cool new toy. Gas strut lift - yes. The quicker the setup the better experience. It feels more accessible to get out and go. Awning mount - seems like you can do that on your own later if you want and probably less than what they are charging. Fold down counter would be a yes for me. Something already engineered and form fitting is worth the cost. Jerry can mount lolno. Propane tank - drat they are proud. Roof headliner would probably be a yes for me. I would want to see an example of both before making that choice.