Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah I'm thinking about just doing a drop, clean and fill, not sure I'm gonna flush. The way I was gonna do it was to empty and fill, run the engine and engage the torque converter to move that fluid too, then drain/fill/repeat until it's bright red. I've seen a bunch of stuff saying to avoid an actual real flush using an external pump with an older trans because it can dislodge gunk and put it in the transmission which will eventually break something. Not sure if that's some old wisdom or a myth or what. But I replaced the trans line today to stop the leak, will probably do the fluid change sometime this week if I can get some free time.

I've got a trusted local shop of former Lexus/Toyota mechanics who've been loving excellent providing good advice and they seemed to adhere to the flush being detrimental in old transmissions line of thinking.

They just did a passive drain/fill with the in/out lines from the tranny cooler, using the pump to pull fresh fluid while dumping the old stuff.

Worked well on both old cars (changes at 160k on both 3rd and 4th gen 4Runners, both of which I suspected were first as the second owner) and didn't cause any prolonged issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

For now though I wanted to open the discussion on this auction that closed today on Bring a Trailer:

2000 LX470 (Modified) No reserve, sold for $21,500. With 5% buyers premium $22,575

With the popularity of the "modern" era cars, I see this as the last time you can possibly pick up a 100 for a decent price. Their popularity has been growing slowly for so long, and while I paid quite a bit, close to this truck, mine has under 100k - I often wonder how much I could get for mine if I were to sell it on a site like BaT or DD's new site cars and bids.

I turned away so many trucks that were over 200k, also if the interiors had ANY poo poo like steering wheel re-wraps, and seats that look like this one (or an obvious refit) - Some were decent trucks, some were obviously bodged.

One in particular was a gold 04 that had 105k, they were offering it for $14,000, it was at a used "luxury" car dealership a few miles from my place, I took my very pregnant wife to go check it out and as soon as I got there I just wanted to walk away. I could tell it had been repainted the second I looked at it, I just gave it the once over and turned and walked away but the snake salesman snagged me - I gave the car a good look over, literally every panel on the truck had a different vin on it. I walked so quick on that one, but it just goes to show you that these are pretty popular.

Also, even with all the nutty poo poo going on right now, I've been asked if I'd sell the truck several times in my ~4mo of ownership.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

With the popularity of the "modern" era cars, I see this as the last time you can possibly pick up a 100 for a decent price. Their popularity has been growing slowly for so long, and while I paid quite a bit, close to this truck, mine has under 100k - I often wonder how much I could get for mine if I were to sell it on a site like BaT or DD's new site cars and bids.

I turned away so many trucks that were over 200k, also if the interiors had ANY poo poo like steering wheel re-wraps, and seats that look like this one (or an obvious refit) - Some were decent trucks, some were obviously bodged.

One in particular was a gold 04 that had 105k, they were offering it for $14,000, it was at a used "luxury" car dealership a few miles from my place, I took my very pregnant wife to go check it out and as soon as I got there I just wanted to walk away. I could tell it had been repainted the second I looked at it, I just gave it the once over and turned and walked away but the snake salesman snagged me - I gave the car a good look over, literally every panel on the truck had a different vin on it. I walked so quick on that one, but it just goes to show you that these are pretty popular.

Also, even with all the nutty poo poo going on right now, I've been asked if I'd sell the truck several times in my ~4mo of ownership.

Cruisers are gold mines my good buddy has been sitting on his two Parados for past 6 months and been tempted to lower price. I told him to raise the prices and fingers crossed he’s got a guy spending the night in a hotel checking both out in the morning g and picking one. What I paid for my Prado is impossible now. That why I’m keeping my Celsior I think no if I score any cruiser at my bid I know I can double my money. And it can still happen. But hard hard hard market right now. Forget the virus it was slow during March but the money is there and free flowing. If you are happy with your LC keep it and treasure it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

everdave posted:

If you are happy with your LC keep it and treasure it.

This! I had been looking for one since 2012! It really checks every box I needed. barring anything out of my control, its probably the last modern vehicle I'll own.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

LobsterboyX posted:

Yeah I think you did particularly well with your LX and especially if you are going to keep it long term it is not a horrible place to park money into a vehicle. With undiagnosed automotive A.D.D. I am trying to keep a pulse on the 200 series market because once I get some rock sliders for my 470 I just don't see spending any more money on things like a bumper etc because if I want to put a bunch of money into an off roader then I will go to a 200. For my use this is about perfect for me and even with the transmission dying on me I am still about 15K into this thing.

I apologize that I have not been as diligent in my uploading but adventures are still happening. This I will title "Same dance, different girl"

So late June was approaching and realizing that there had been a dearth of camping adventures I started nagging[persuading my wife it was time for us to go camping. So we planned all week to hit up the place I went the last week of June last year with my friend. I was pretty sure I could remember the spot, and after taking a left on a forest road when I should have taken a right we eventually found the place, which was actually the exact spot we went to last year.

Difference being that we were all a year older and this time my youngest and my wife also joined.

We had a little camp fire to keep us warm. The mountains were unusually cold! Particularly at night. The older two slept in the back of the Lexus without issue. My wife and I slept with the little dude in the tent and it was frigid. It hit lower 40's. I did have my tent heater my wife got me for my birthday and that worked a champ but I didn't want to sleep with it on for fear of melting the tent. Cool part of the night was hearing an owl outside hooting away.

The kids were stoked to find fuzzy caterpillars

We went for a walk around and drove some RC cars

The world is pretty big.

On the forest road back down into the canyon and highway there is this one switchback that is just the most breathtaking view.

Direct link to IMGUR video

For a bit of deja vu it was just as good the first time around

(I really need to get that Lexus emblem painted and reinstalled)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I miss my landcruiser.... Should be back by the end of the month from the crash repairer.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah I think you did particularly well with your LX and especially if you are going to keep it long term it is not a horrible place to park money into a vehicle. With undiagnosed automotive A.D.D. I am trying to keep a pulse on the 200 series market because once I get some rock sliders for my 470 I just don't see spending any more money on things like a bumper etc because if I want to put a bunch of money into an off roader then I will go to a 200. For my use this is about perfect for me and even with the transmission dying on me I am still about 15K into this thing.

I apologize that I have not been as diligent in my uploading but adventures are still happening. This I will title "Same dance, different girl"

So late June was approaching and realizing that there had been a dearth of camping adventures I started nagging[persuading my wife it was time for us to go camping. So we planned all week to hit up the place I went the last week of June last year with my friend. I was pretty sure I could remember the spot, and after taking a left on a forest road when I should have taken a right we eventually found the place, which was actually the exact spot we went to last year.

Difference being that we were all a year older and this time my youngest and my wife also joined.

We had a little camp fire to keep us warm. The mountains were unusually cold! Particularly at night. The older two slept in the back of the Lexus without issue. My wife and I slept with the little dude in the tent and it was frigid. It hit lower 40's. I did have my tent heater my wife got me for my birthday and that worked a champ but I didn't want to sleep with it on for fear of melting the tent. Cool part of the night was hearing an owl outside hooting away.

The kids were stoked to find fuzzy caterpillars

We went for a walk around and drove some RC cars

The world is pretty big.

On the forest road back down into the canyon and highway there is this one switchback that is just the most breathtaking view.

For a bit of deja vu it was just as good the first time around

(I really need to get that Lexus emblem painted and reinstalled)

Oh man I really wanted to do some trails/camping this summer with mine but it's looking like its gonna have to wait. Looks like a good time tho.

So I did the flush and filter for the 4Runner, but once I had it all nice and clean, I filled as much as I'd removed as I had been and then found that the overflow plug bolt was stripped out :(. For some reason Toyota used a inside hex instead of a hex head bolt? Anyway I went at it with an easy out and its still not moving, I'm afraid of breaking the easy out. I hit it with a ton of PB blaster over the course of the day, I can keep at that but ugh.

I'd rather not drill the bolt out and risk damaging the threads, and it's really difficult to get pliers or a cutting wheel on it to make a screw driver slot because its recessed. But then again I dont want to replace the pan and fresh oil and gasket either.

I tried my best to maintain the same oil level throughout the flush but due to the prior leak, it is currently low. Maybe half a liter if I had to guess. I'd really prefer a dipstick right now lol.

Any ideas? I might see how well I can get a cutting wheel in next.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

then I will go to a 200.

:golfclap: Mr. Moneybags over here!

I think the 200s are beautiful machines, they have cool little improvements over the 100s and they are tanks just like the 100s, you can get one with lower miles than most 100s. I. just. can't. stand. how. they. look.

that and they are still really, really expensive.

I get it... but they just look like someone filled a 100 with marshmallow cream and those grills on the lexus... woof.... That being said, the 08-11 models are stomachable so much so that I almost popped on a '11 LX with 120k - the price was right, but the past was a bit dubious, nothing bad, all body tags nice, no paint work - but it just had a few too many owners in vegas, and a few too many dealership visits - troubled me a bit.

with them discontinuing the 200 series platform in NA, I wonder what that will do to their prices. I personally think that with that, it will take the value of clean 100s and 80s up with them - the same way it did when they discontinued the FJ. - almost like "yeah ill buy one of those in a few years, they're cool and quirky" "Oh wait they're not making them anymore, gently caress, I'll take it!"

Edit: so I just posted this and went over to marketplace to look at prices on 100s - they have really gone up in the last few months... and there are some really nice examples on there right now, but this baddie caught my attention...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/530739437605777/

also:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2761676420769365/

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 14, 2020

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
newborn + lockdown = looking pretty in the driveway.

seeing this really makes me not regret upping my tire size a bit... once i wear these out, we're going bigger!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I love those fifteen52 wheels on there. How have they held up with day to day useage.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

I love those fifteen52 wheels on there. How have they held up with day to day useage.

They're actually Black Rhinos - they've really held up really well. no complaints at all

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a newborn and lockdown and my car is looking really dirty in the driveway, I think I did something wrong. For some reason I thought your LX was blue but that has to be wrong, you haven't changed cars since you posted in this thread?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
nope, always been black - I got one hell of a detail when I first got it, ceramic coat, paint correction. the whole bit, I just literally maintain it and run it thru the $5 wash once in awhile

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Can't sleep? Might as well drive.

This one goes out to my littlest copilot. He is in that weird phase where he needs to take a nap but doesn't and when the moons and stars align he ends up crashing in the afternoon and nothing we can do will stop it. So that happened and I asked him what he wanted to do. He said "I wanna go in the dirt and look at mountains!" so I said alright buddy. Loaded him up and took off for American Fork Canyon. He was pretty stoked to get going. I have shared photos of this road previously but here are a couple of new things to look at.

He told me he was all done and ready to head down, so I found a spot to pull over real quick near a little stream so he could hop out to run around and throw some rocks in a stream before heading back down.

I am not sick of looking at the Wasatch Mountains

The road has some pretty steep cliff faces where you are just toodling along and could totally die if the earth decided to give way.

IMGUR linked video to vertigo inducing looks

A short trip with just a couple photos but a good one. It is amazing that I have stuff like this so closely accessible to where I live. It is about a 45 minute drive to "the dirt", but just ~22 minutes before I get to the mouth of the canyon.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

You mean these can survive in the wild? I thought they were like really expensive fragile dogs

This thread needs a bump. The project side of this is kind of reaching critical mass which is pretty nice. I have just casually been driving it and enjoying it. Checklist of things needing completion:

• Get the front seats re-upholstered. I have had the new leather in a box in my Garage since March. Originally going to DIY, now realize I will just pay someone to install.
  • Possibly pay to get the interior detailed? I know this is the beater, but having someone properly deep clean the carpets and fill in the other seat leather not getting replaced might be worth it.
  • Paint the emblems black. I know some will protest, but looking at my other LX and seeing the black emblems...well as Mando would say "This is the way"
  • Paint the grill as well. It is all pitted and chipped. I don't think I can make it worse.
  • Get it aligned again because I don't think the last guys did anything worth a drat
  • Paint/Install step sliders

hold up, what was that last part?

Aaaw yiss. I think that this is really about it as far as performance bits and things I intend on bolting to the LX. This will not only give me a ton more clearance on the side it will offer some good protection. I just ordered these last night so I expect I will get them some time in the next week or so. There are so many different brands and options that are all admittedly better and I can say that this is a choice purely based on financial reasoning. Shipped and delivered for $800? there is not much out there that can even touch it within $200. I will be sure post on the prep/paint/install.

Here is the most recent adventure in which my whole family went to the desert to camp. We went with a couple friends anxious to try their roof tent they just picked up for their Tacoma.

We stayed at the Simpson Springs campground in Utah's west desert. It is located off the Pony Express trail. My friend wanted to do this as he had a previous negative experience at his first attempt with dispersed camping. He wanted to know he had his own spot. It wasn't bad and the picnic table on the site and the huge concrete fire ring was actually a nice change.

A nice desert sunset while sitting around a fire with friends is definitely one of the more chill things mortality has to offer.

I also want to comment how ridiculous "Night Shot" is with the iPhone 11. This was taken, handheld at 11:00 at night.

My title for this has to do with the wild horses located all around the west desert. That is right, there is a :yooge: population of wild horses in the western states. So many that they are being rounded up and culled. Here is a news article about it that was run by a local station earlier this summer
linked article

quote:

"They can grow pretty rapidly — 15-20% a year, which means a herd can double in size every four to five years, triple every six years … and it can overwhelm the resources that are available to them out on the mostly in the high desert," said Jason Lutterman, spokesperson for the agency’s Wild Horses and Burro Program....
This year, the bureau expects to remove a little more than 11,000 horses and burros from public land in western states(:stonk:), including Utah.

They apparently can be really destructive on the environment. It is also sad because they get injured easily since they are basically a car being supported by four tooth picks and trip in things like prairie dog holes and they will just die. How something like a big fragile dog can survive the friggin west desert is beyond me, but we got to see them! It was crazy!

Imgur video of wild equine at a watering hole
Many of these have the battle scars of fighting. Their manes all tangled and matted with dirt and dried mud. Some young ones in the mix as well! It was actually a very cool spectacle to see in person. We didn't want to get too close though since they were wild animals.

The next morning we had a nice breakfast and cleaned up camp. We then headed further west to the Dugway Geode beds I had visited last year with my two oldest to go rock hounding with our friends. It was successful, we found some good ones! the kids more or less were happy to walk around the dirt with shovels and hammers. My little one found a big hole previous prospectors had dug and climbing into it seemed the best idea.

The desert is bland, but also kind of beautiful in its own way.
IMGUR video of the digging site

After we had found enough sparkly rocks and had been adequately baked by the sun we set off home. Blasting across the original Pony Express route for miles and miles

The only bummer of the trip was an errant rock flung by a flat bed wrecker from on coming traffic that wiped out my windshield. A spider web crack about 2" in diameter and a crack on the bottom of the screen. Not right in my view, but a bummer because it was the original factory windshield and when these get replacements it often involves drilling factory rivets and eventually having rust form on the A Pillar. I haven't replaced it yet, it is not bothering me much and my state does not require safety inspections :toot: so I will continue as is.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
great photos - love my iphone 11 night shot!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The crack will probably grow at some point but you can just put it off til then.

Nice trip, great pictures. It looks fun!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So I need some advice on towing with my LX - I've asked on the forums and the facebook group, but I feel I'd get a more stable answer here rather than "CiTi BoI dOnT KnOW NotTHiNg aBoUt ToW'n nO rIGs"

every year I take my model A to race in the central coast

for years I've been pulling it with my FJ which barely did the job.

my 05 has the hitch in the bumper but I dont have this adapter thingy

https://www.ebay.com/p/654746217

1 - do I need to buy anything besides this thing to be able to use the old hitch ball I used on my FJ?

2 - if I can use my hitch ball, should I get a dropped tongue? I feel like the massive tongue weight of the uhaul trailer may really put a lot of weight if its riding that high.

3 - Will the wiring from the Uhaul trailer plug directly in to my lexus?

4 - Will this hurt my AHC and is there anything I can do to not break it?

5 - should I maybe look in to a different method of towing the car, rather than one of these giant trailers - like a flat tow or maybe one of the two wheel car haulers

help me out

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

So I need some advice on towing with my LX - I've asked on the forums and the facebook group, but I feel I'd get a more stable answer here rather than "CiTi BoI dOnT KnOW NotTHiNg aBoUt ToW'n nO rIGs"

every year I take my model A to race in the central coast

for years I've been pulling it with my FJ which barely did the job.

my 05 has the hitch in the bumper but I dont have this adapter thingy

https://www.ebay.com/p/654746217

1 - do I need to buy anything besides this thing to be able to use the old hitch ball I used on my FJ?

2 - if I can use my hitch ball, should I get a dropped tongue? I feel like the massive tongue weight of the uhaul trailer may really put a lot of weight if its riding that high.

3 - Will the wiring from the Uhaul trailer plug directly in to my lexus?

4 - Will this hurt my AHC and is there anything I can do to not break it?

5 - should I maybe look in to a different method of towing the car, rather than one of these giant trailers - like a flat tow or maybe one of the two wheel car haulers

help me out

I tow with my 07 4Runner in a similar capacity.

1) not sure about this adapter, the hitch was a 2" box tube right? Should slide right into any hitch receiver. Pics of the old receiver and hitch?

2) as per UHauls website optimal ball height is 18.5-18.75 inches from the ground. I made sure to measure ground to receiver when I installed it (I bought an aftermarket Curt receiver) on mine to make sure I had the proper location.

3) the harness on the Lexus is likely a 7 prong, same as what is on my 4Runner (the round one). UHaul car carriers use a flat 4 prong, you'll need an adapter. I got mine from Canadian Tire for like $20, probably similar from your local auto parts place.

4) I dont have AHC so I'm not sure, but I believe this chassis with the V8 is rated at 7300 or 7800 lb, so I imagine the suspension was considered in that rating

5) assuming that car is 2wd, you can use a dolly and just lift the drive wheels off the ground. I use a full carrier for my rallycross car (check my posts ITT for pics) because its AWD and I dont want unpowered crank rotation harming the driveline. I'm sure a carrier will work for you tho

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I tow with my 07 4Runner in a similar capacity.

1) not sure about this adapter, the hitch was a 2" box tube right? Should slide right into any hitch receiver. Pics of the old receiver and hitch?

2) as per UHauls website optimal ball height is 18.5-18.75 inches from the ground. I made sure to measure ground to receiver when I installed it (I bought an aftermarket Curt receiver) on mine to make sure I had the proper location.

3) the harness on the Lexus is likely a 7 prong, same as what is on my 4Runner (the round one). UHaul car carriers use a flat 4 prong, you'll need an adapter. I got mine from Canadian Tire for like $20, probably similar from your local auto parts place.

4) I dont have AHC so I'm not sure, but I believe this chassis with the V8 is rated at 7300 or 7800 lb, so I imagine the suspension was considered in that rating

5) assuming that car is 2wd, you can use a dolly and just lift the drive wheels off the ground. I use a full carrier for my rallycross car (check my posts ITT for pics) because its AWD and I dont want unpowered crank rotation harming the driveline. I'm sure a carrier will work for you tho

the lexus/land cruiser adapter looks like this - this is only for the 05-07 models and it does facilitate a 2" hitch.

there is a little plastic cover over the hole to which this thing bolts

they're about 200 bucks

is this the kind of adapter I'd need for the lights?

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-700...7883567&sr=8-13

or this hokey lookin thing?

https://www.amazon.com/AutoSonic-Co...7883567&sr=8-14

some of my friends flat tow their cars, and I've done it for short runs which is always a bit nerve wracking to me, especially because these cars are held together with the hopes and dreams of our great grandfathers. - a vw bug tow bar fits around the axle pretty well. The race is about 200 miles from my house so thats not exactly a short run. but then again the car weighs nothing.

maybe once I get the adapters on there I can give a quick measure and get the right size drop.

Thanks for the info!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have a selection (for different plug shapes) of the cheaper version of the adapters you posted. It works, assuming the UHAUL trailer plug wire is long enough, which I think it would be no problem. I think the long one is for people running like a lifted truck with a tall drop hitch, and hooking to a trailer that may have a short hookup wire.

You will enjoy towing with that Lexus much more than the FJ.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LobsterboyX posted:

the lexus/land cruiser adapter looks like this - this is only for the 05-07 models and it does facilitate a 2" hitch.

there is a little plastic cover over the hole to which this thing bolts

they're about 200 bucks

That looks like it gives a place for the trailer chains to hook on. I'd imagine a 2" hitch slides up in there, you pit the pin in it and go to town.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I have a selection (for different plug shapes) of the cheaper version of the adapters you posted. It works, assuming the UHAUL trailer plug wire is long enough, which I think it would be no problem. I think the long one is for people running like a lifted truck with a tall drop hitch, and hooking to a trailer that may have a short hookup wire.

You will enjoy towing with that Lexus much more than the FJ.

Cool, every big trailer ive ever got from them has very long wires, so I may just grab the cheapo for this time.

yes, I'm really excited to tow with my LX - The FJ was totally sketchy because of the wheel base, and it was gutless. There's a big grade right before the race track that totally killed me, so much so that I couldn't really get the thing above 50, got kinda dicey.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The 100 series was the absolute weapon of choice for the grey nomads towing massive caravans with here in Australia. Lot of the Sahara’s with the AHC like the Lexus used in that job too, cos it could be had with the 4.2L turbo diesel instead of the V8 only in the LX. A lot of them moved onto the V8 twin turbo diesel 200 series, but there’s still plenty of 100’s doing daily duty hauling caravans and horse floats.

They tow absolutely awesomely- I’ve had close to 5 tonnes (~11,000lb) of tractor and trailer behind my manual turbo diesels and while it wasn’t fast, it handled the weight and stopped without even blinking. I can put a 1500kg off road camper trailer behind mine and it’s so composed you could forget the thing is back there.

The fuel consumption will be horrifying though- the guys on the 100 series Facebook groups have reported north of 40L/100 (5.8MPG) towing a 3 tonne caravan into a head wind on a hot day with the V8

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I saw a 100 series being towed by a Dodge Ram earlier today.

There were some extremely concerning... noises... coming from the back end of it. :ohdear: The drive shaft was very obviously disconnected from the rear and hanging by bungees, and was NOT moving while the vehicle was moving (so likely in 2H). They blowed somethin up gud back there.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Ferremit posted:

The fuel consumption will be horrifying though- the guys on the 100 series Facebook groups have reported north of 40L/100 (5.8MPG) towing a 3 tonne caravan into a head wind on a hot day with the V8

I can believe it. I feel like I got my LX470 down to single digits for a short while, just driving through PA two winters ago at close to zero degrees - no towing was involved.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

A Jeep will get you there. The Land Cruiser will get you home

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The project side of this is kind of reaching critical mass which is pretty nice. I have just casually been driving it and enjoying it. Checklist of things needing completion:
SNIP

Oh you ignorant sweet summer child. One does not simply drive a 20+ year old vehicle approaching 200K miles and a checklist that is "done".

A wild Check Engine Light appears! Do you:
    A. Panic?
    B. Full Send?
    C. Reach for your wallet?

Let's talk about how we got here though. A weird phenomenon is that when California catches fire the wind blows that smoke to the east and it likes to settle in the Salt Lake Valley. The smoke and ash have been everywhere making for awful air quality. I decided the way to beat the heat and smoke was to get above it. So I planned a trip to go camping, just me and my oldest daughter. We invited our friends that live the street over and we set off to the Uinta National Forest. We were probably sitting around 8000 feet.

With just a sliver of the moon present the stars were so vivid. The milky way was vibrant.

Waking up to this did not suck.

Not one bit
https://imgur.com/s3rf5ib

Got to work cooking breakfast. Cast iron is for winners.

Fresh fruit was courtesy of my wife. The toasted bagel/egg/cheese was nicely complimented by the thick cut bacon.

Cooking and eating is like the main point of camping.

This is my second time using my ARB Awning and I absolutely love it. It is really quick and easy to deploy and with the guy ropes it is very stable. Getting the extra huge 2.5x2.5 meter job was the right move.

We passed time by exploring, going for a hike. We saw a very cool hawk fly around and land in the top of a tree and just kept screeching. We played some card games (Skip-Bo, SCUM). After lunch we packed up camp and headed towards home.

https://imgur.com/HAKCvmo
The views are really great. To just be in nature rules.

Which is where my story wraps into a full circle like a Christopher Nolan movie. About ten miles from home my CEL comes on. Immediately the car is chugging/lurching and has a loss of power. Definitely misfiring. I suspect a coil has given out. It didn't seem to try and stall out so I was sure I would be fine to get home. I pulled the codes and found stored errors for cylinder misfire of cylinder 4 and 8. I was suspect of losing two in one shot. I picked up the generic brand coil in stock from oreilly since it was too late in the day for a genuine Toyota unit but I just wanted to get by.

The next day with the help if ih8mud I found the cylinder bank, pulled the airbox resonator and the offending coil pack.

Curiosity got me and I figured I should pull a sparking plug too and get an idea of how they looked.

The answer was "crusty". At this point I then learned the answer to the question of "Who is changing their plugs todayTomorrow?" because the day was already gone. I grabbed a full set of 8 plugs on my way home from work but not after receiving a very nice picture text from my wife :pervert:

My step sliders got delivered! So I grabbed some self etching primer and some bed liner spray while I was grabbing the plugs.

The front 2 plugs on each cylinder bank came out and went in easy enough. Torqued to 13 ft-lbs. The back two for each are tricky because I can't fit my neat little magnetic t-handle spark plug wrench. The deep well 16mm socket was called into action.
As necessity is the mother of all inventions my solutions to get the plug out were use my telescoping magnet

Magnets man, how do they work?

Then the trick of trying to figure out how to hold the spark plugs in the socket so that I could get them started to thread in before running them down. Cross threading and stripping out is like a waking nightmare. I solved this by stuffing a chunk of paper towel into the deep well socket. Then stuffing the spark plug into the socket and it held in place and was nice and straight.

The back driver side was the worst to get out. Removing was a painful process only getting about 1/16th of a movement for the first half of the thread. Getting it all buttoned up and starting the engine up wth the newly replaced coil it seemed to start and idle much smoother. The state of the plugs? I think they looked alright, but definitely some build up. I can say that "One of these things ain't like the other one"

passenger side, from rearward to front plugs

Driver side rear to front plugs.

Closer view. Remember that these plugs were in place before the valve covers and the spark plug tube seals were replaced by me. It felt good to have new ones in. I might as well weld the hood shut for the next 100K miles.

So what is the moral of this story? This is the second time the LX has "broken" but still made it back without much fuss. Pretty impressed. I have since ordered a few more DENSO coils (OEM replacements) and will keep them in the Lexus for the future. Every single one of these coils can easily be replaced with a 10mm socket and one clip. Nice job big T.

This week the plan is to get the steps prepped and painted! The before and after shots will be great!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

More concerning than the crustiness is the absolutely massive gap imo, especially in that one plug. Based on the 2uz firing order, gonna guess that one came from cylinder 8. Dumb question I'm sure - but you gapped the new plugs right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That looks to me like some sort of precious metal plugs, which I believe all come pre gapped and can be damaged if you try to jam a gauge into them.

Anecdotal but I've never gapped any precious metal plugs and haven't run into issues. Even coppers come pregapped for the most part I think, other than the ones intended for small engines maybe.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

AFAIK you never mess with the gap on an iridium plug on a Lexus, but I remember thinking there were special cases so I looked it up and found this.

ngk posted:

DO I NEED TO SET THE “GAP” WHEN INSTALLING A NEW SET OF PLUGS?

Maybe. A spark plug part number might fit hundreds of different engines from many different manufacturers. Although the NGK factory will set the gap to a preselected setting, this may not be the right gap for your particular engine. The incorrect plug gap for your engine can contribute to a high rate of misfires, loss of power, plug fouling, poor fuel economy and accelerated plug wear. It is always best to check the gap against the manufacturer’s specifications. If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium, be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The gap should be adjusted by only moving the ground electrode.

Another consideration that should be taken into account is the extent of any modifications that you may have made to the engine. As an example, when you raise compression or add forced induction (a turbo system, nitrous or supercharger kit) you must reduce the gap (about .004″ for every 50 hp you add). However, when you add a high power ignition system (such as those offered by MSD, Crane, Nology) you can open the gap from .002-.005″.

If you have any questions, please contact the NGK Spark Plugs Tech Staff

The manufacturer of your vehicle, the company that produced the aftermarket products you’ve used, and/or your service technician are all additional sources of gapping information if you’ve modified your vehicle.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Yes the gap was ma-hooosive, totally :yooge: but the gap was pretty large even on the new ones. That’s the spec for this plug.

Also correct that they are iridium tipped and that’s a no-no for gapping. They come sleeved and boxed ready for use.

Edit: now that I’m one commute/drive home since the change, Lucy felt a little more peppy getting on my usual on-ramp today. Placebo or fact? I’ll know for sure once it comes time to fill up the fuel tank again.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 26, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think you'll definitely notice a difference.

You're not wrong that yours are supposed to be factory set, but I think people have gotten the wrong idea about why some plugs are more fragile. It's not the kind of metal in the electrode, but whether it's a fine wire electrode that makes it more subject to damage. I probably wouldn't measure your style of plugs either, just inspect.

Multi-ground (+2, +4) plugs aren't recommended to be adjusted, but I'm thinking that's because it's difficult to get a consistent gap measurement. My impression of these plugs is that the multi-ground electrode is mostly a marketing ploy, but I digress.

edit- A Denso Distributor, didn't see a statement from Denso themselves on a quick Google search posted:

Should I Gap My Plugs?

A spark plugs gap directly affects the tip temperature and the voltage necessary to fire the plug.  Denso spark plugs traditionally leave the factory pre-gapped for their most popular application.  However, a plug may fit hundreds of engines, from cars to golf carts.  Gapping the plugs to your engine’s specifications is important to prevent pre-ignition, detonation, fouling and poor fuel economy.  Even if the preset gap matches that required by your engine, it is always good practice to physically check the gap as it may have shifted during transportation (not all spark plugs are packaged in a way that protects the firing end ). 

Gapping is not recommended on multi-ground plugs.

Fine Wire Plugs
Spark Plug manufacturers typically warn against gapping fine wire spark plugs due to the fragile nature of their electrodes.  They say a fine wire plug will outperform a standard spark plug, even if not properly gapped.  However, Denso understands a plug can only operate to its optimum potential if properly gapped.  Proper gapping technique should be followed with any spark plug, but special care should be taken with fine wire plugs.  Denso will not warranty a plug who’s center electrode is snapped during gapping.

I can say that the NGK platinums (not a fine wire plug) I put in my FoST were all over the place out of the box.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 26, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I had to close up the gap just a hair on the platinums I put in the Subaru. You just use an actual gapping tool and never touch the center electrode beyond measuring. My measuring tool has little blades with a slot to grab and bend the grounds.
Like this:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

My impression of these plugs is that the multi-ground electrode is mostly a marketing ploy, but I digress.

I thought the same thing until I changed the plugs in my '99 Jetta. The factory plugs were fancy 3 or 4 ground electrode Bosch, but still copper. I put in NGK's, single electrode coppers with the factory-specified gap. Car ran like poo poo until I put the $14/each factory plugs in, and then it ran fine. I just buy OEM now. It's short money and they're often pregapped correctly which saves faffing about with a gapping tool.

::edit:: Oh yeah, that is bullshit. I refused to do it when I worked at AutoZone. My boss was none too pleased, but then again, I also told people to not buy FRAM filters. If there was an oil change special with a FRAM, I suggested buying an STP or Bosch or Motorcraft filter and literally throwing the FRAM away on their way out the door, like I did (and do) regularly.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 27, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

On yeah I should have said, I think it's a marketing ploy, *unless it's the factory spec plug*.

I meant marketing in that an auto parts store may upsell a +4 platinum plug as being "better" because it's more expensive.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

sharkytm posted:

I also told people to not buy FRAM filters. If there was an oil change special with a FRAM, I suggested buying an STP or Bosch or Motorcraft filter and literally throwing the FRAM away on their way out the door, like I did (and do) regularly.

Just. Buy. Wix.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LeeMajors posted:

Just. Buy. Wix.

Not an option at AutoZone when I worked there (or now, it looks like). The STPs were fine at the time, far better than FRAM. I run OEM filters on the Fit army because they're cheap and fine, OEM filters on the Duramax (dealer), and... OEM filters on the Maxda because it goes to the dealer for everything. So long as there's no cardboard or cardboard derivatives, I'm fine with whatever. On a high-performance engine, maybe I'll splurge for a better filter, and I :love: the K&N molded-in hex.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

sharkytm posted:

Not an option at AutoZone when I worked there (or now, it looks like). The STPs were fine at the time, far better than FRAM. I run OEM filters on the Fit army because they're cheap and fine, OEM filters on the Duramax (dealer), and... OEM filters on the Maxda because it goes to the dealer for everything. So long as there's no cardboard or cardboard derivatives, I'm fine with whatever. On a high-performance engine, maybe I'll splurge for a better filter, and I :love: the K&N molded-in hex.

I was more screaming that into the ether in the spirit of your comment, but fair enough. Sadly they aren't super available everywhere but they're great filters. I used Purolator for years before they had the media ripping issues. Switched to Napa Gold or Wix for awhile for spin ons but sadly both my cars use cartridge filters now so I just buy OEM Toyota/Denso filters now by the box *shrug* Supposedly the newer Fram synthetic oil filters are super good but they spent so many years being lovely that I can't bring myself to use them.

/boring lovely oil filter derail for no good reason because i'm a lovely poster

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For my cars I just use OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filters because there's a Toyota dealership closer than an auto parts store to me. For my bike I've been using Wix for a while and they seem to work great. I used to use Purolators but they changed the shape of the filters and it made my bike leak oil. The packaging remained the same, so I just figured my bike was being British for months and months until I eventually decided to track down the leak and then found a forum thread about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MomJeans420 posted:

For my cars I just use OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filters because there's a Toyota dealership closer than an auto parts store to me.

Toyota OEM filters are so good. If they're accessible there's no good reason to use anything else.