Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When you consider that most wheel spacers look like this, I get the hate:

The style you have, I ran for a long time on my WJ, and am running now on my TJ. They're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suspect rolling up with that tent caused extreme Dad Jealousy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have yet to run a MT but the KO2s certainly aren't any worse on road than any of the AT tires that I've run that, at least based on appearance, should be nicer on pavement.

Also I'd say if an IFS truck has steering worse than a TJ, poo poo is very wrong with the IFS truck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My next installment can your Grand Caravan DO THIS??!!

IDK, I've seen first/second gen Mopar minivans do some crazy poo poo in the name of church camping :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:laffo: you are not wrong. Here it was usually Suburbans though. So many suburbans.

Suburbans are still trucks underneath so offroading those hardly even counts. Not blowing up a transmission, now that's a feat for a Suburban.

I distinctly remember on at least two occasions my dad would get a proper-hosed blowout on the way home from camping with our Grand Voyagers, and another dad dragged the oil pan of his minivan just wrong enough to spin the drain plug out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Congrats on the car! I have AT3Ws on our 200 series right now and while they’re a little floaty/wander-prone versus the KO2s I had on it previously, they’re also substantially cheaper. Interested to hear your impressions if you go that way. FWIW I have my 3rd (total, across my 200, 2500 Suburban, and now my Raptor) set of KO2s and I continue to like them.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either the AT3W or the KO2. I was really happy with the AT3Ws on my WJ, I'm really happy with the (much embiggened) KO2s on my TJ.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Potentially relevant? Not exactly close to you, but hey.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

fake edit: I miss this friggin truck :smith:

Big F for that.

How'd you get the altimeter overlay on that video? Looks neat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

As much as I seriously want to buy Tremek’s 200 there has been a good development! I found my replacement on Saturday and picked it up today. The short version is ‘lol for people using stock photos on their ads, pricing it cheap relative to what’s currently out there and wow it isn’t an actual heap’.

This was how I got my TJ for cheap. Sub-$6k Wranglers on Craigslist usually disappear instantly; this thing was on Cars.com with two blurry-rear end photos.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks gooooooood.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems believable? This was my WJ's exhaust - MY03, photo in 2017, and I did run that through plenty of water a few times:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to say I'd never trust a factory point but... that's clearly a step above most.

I had (though never used for its purpose) a hitch-mounted D-ring for my WJ. Seemed like it would have been fine and was two orders of magnitude cheaper than any bumper option with tow hooks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lookin' noice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

yo that is crazy

Crazy awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

edit: Oh, and definitely hardwire whatever you use. Running anything to fill those tires through a cigarette lighter isn't going to go well.

Seconded. If an air pump has a cigarette lighter adapter, it's almost certainly not going to handle airing up four offroad tires. Pumps that plug into a lighter are meant to get one passenger car tire from partly inflated to mostly inflated, and then cool back off - not four big offroad tires from near-single digit to road pressures one after the other. My Viair 88p is enough for my 33s, but only just.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tomarse posted:

I'm not worried about it taking a while. I am assuming that if i get a single or the ones on the lower end of the spec lists I could just leave it to slowly get a tyre pumped up without damaging the compressor and it would be clever enough to safely cut itself out when it needed too?

None of the off-road oriented compressors I've seen have any pressure shutoffs. In theory my Viair would keep on pushing until it melted down. It's theoretically capable of 100psi though I suspect the length of time it would need to achieve that in a tire (as opposed to a hose or small tank) would be gargantuan.

I'm going to get a storage rack that mounts to my existing spare tire carrier one of these days, and I'm vaguely tempted to slap a small air tank on there. Pressurize it before I leave home using my garage compressor, turn on the onboard compressor once the trail starts winding down towards the air-up point, hopefully spend about half the time airing up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Quality parenting right there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I can see with a little more seat time and reviewing these corners I can definitely find another second or two. As someone who has never had a HPDE I felt really good about myself. My years of racing RC sort of translated over to karting.

High-end indoor kart tracks are cool. The only multi-level one I've ever done is Sarah Fisher's kart track in Speedway, IN, where they have a two-level roadcourse and a tiny little high-banked oval. Did that with my dad and brothers, and none of us could climb out of the kart on our own easily after the oval.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, loving oof for the paint flaking like that.

On the other, if you need sliders you're going to scuff them and you aren't going to yank them off for a full on repaint on a regular basis, so just rattle bomb them on there and send it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

This isn't a pressing issue since it's not going to be hot and sunny for a while, but do people here have opinions on awnings?

I don't have one but I think they look neat as gently caress and it's one of the only things that makes me sad about having a soft-top TJ. Yes, roof racks exist for them but they're a bit janky looking and I think they might depend on my Jeep being more square than it actually is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

20% seems like a giant stretch for not having your front driveshaft and axle shafts spinning.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

"oh you're calling about a what? a 1999 toyota? how many miles? 238? Oh yeah we're going to total that probably." gently caress that and gently caress that bitch on the phone.

There's a very specific tone they use when they spit this poo poo out. I loving hate it and it's the biggest reason why my C10 and Opel are insured on Hagerty, and I wish they'd cover the TJ too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'm all in on Hagerty because at the time they were one of the only classic insurers who would even touch an under-25 driver.

I haven't updated them on what my daily driver vehicles are since I got the policy, and at the time one of those was an '88 Volvo. The TJ is acting as one of those daily-driver vehicles right now, though 'll probably end up buying a commute-specific car whenever I get dragged back to the office. At that point I'd be able to put the TJ on classic insurance but they specifically won't insure anything modified for off-road use. I'd settle for a plan where they only pay out if it's a total loss (theft, etc).