Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

River Rock Green Mica is the best drat color on those trucks and you got a creampuff. What a great find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The only cost effective swap for a 100 series is a 200 series, but that’s a very personal decision.

Real talk, if the 3UR-FE and 6 speed Aisin could be grafted into a 100 with a commercially supported swap kit I’d call that the best of both worlds.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

For reals though, sub-$20k 200s are all over the place now:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/777401381/overview/

Haven’t ever seen that blue before but that’s also awesome. Anyway 200s have come way down and aren’t as expensive since as you might think anymore, and when I see someone else contemplating spending the same money on a late series 100 I’m baffled.

Nevertheless Somewhat Heroic your truck is dope and I stumbled across a similar one in a parking lot the other night and made a point to take a picture of it to show that you’re clearly a tastemaker:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Doing the needful and crossposting my blurb about wheeling yesterday here because Toyotas in the dirt per Heroic's command to do so:

Celebrated day 1 of no rabies by taking my oldest wheeling with another Goon:

Most scraping of the day was here, we went right up where that 80 is.

Once we got up the dude in the 80 went back down and around and asked us to spot him.

Link to vid

Was nice at the end of the day getting my kiddo to help air up.

Paul’s Tacoma is badass and Paul is badass.

Yes I know re: front seat, first time we have ever done it and I verified the airbag on his side was disabled, and it was way more fun having him co-pilot.

Had lots of fun, as usual had lots of random Toyota owner camaraderie when we ran into the 80 series dude. I need to get the full set of skids installed on the 200 over the winter. Also kinda want to put a steel front bumper on it because why not at this point.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Looks like I am about to pull the trigger on a '04 gx470, 170k miles but 1 owner with a full history at the lexus dealership that is selling it, $10.5k. Sadly it has navigation, but its in good enough shape with such a good history I feel like I can't pass it up. Still trying to come to terms with spending over 10k on a 16 year old suv with 170k miles....

Seems a tad high although full history helps; a lot of these trucks will have been serviced at Lexus dealers that probably report into Carfax etc. on service so that’s not going to be super rare.

Quick local check, here’s a ‘04 no nav with 184k for $6300: https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/aurora-car-for-sale/7023490402.html

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Yea, there definitely seems to be a premium for these trucks in the Seattle area. I had thought l
about flying out and driving home, but it's a hard sell to the wife with a toddler around. I travel enough for work as it is. Is rust a concern with Denver cars?

Even better than car fax is being able to run the VIN thru the Lexus website so you get to see the notes about everything that was done during the service. From that I can see the original owner brought it to the dealer at least every 5k miles, if not sooner. I still need to go in and actually drive the thing and make sure that the rear suspension works properly before I hand over any money. And I got an email about being handed off to a different dealer, so we will see how it goes today.

I have actually been pretty amazed at the number of these trucks that haze zero reported maintenance on either Carfax or the Lexus site.

I just had a car shipped from Pennsylvania for $900 so if it’s a car you were really interested in I suspect you could still come out very cash positive while not driving it back yourself.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

That is true, but I don't think I would feel comfortable buying a car off a random person on CL without ever looking at it. Buying off something like BaT wouldn't be an issue.

I have been watching SF/LA area CL for a while since I have to go to SF often for work, but nothing was really showing up that ticked all the boxes. The amount of trucks I would find that looked like a great deal, but after running them thru the lexus site and seeing they hadn't been to a lexus dealer since 2005, got old. I was also watching AZ CL, since its good to have an excuse to go visit my grandmother.

I ended up buying the one from the Lexus dealer. Got them down to $10k and they are dropping it off for me this morning. Time to start tire shopping, as it has basic street tires on it that are at the end of their lives. Are K02's still the go to? My buddy recommended Falken A/T3 as good alternatives that are a bit cheaper. I have never been into offroading before, so this all new for me.

Congrats on the car! I have AT3Ws on our 200 series right now and while they’re a little floaty/wander-prone versus the KO2s I had on it previously, they’re also substantially cheaper. Interested to hear your impressions if you go that way. FWIW I have my 3rd (total, across my 200, 2500 Suburban, and now my Raptor) set of KO2s and I continue to like them.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

He will be calling me soon but he is thinking that the adjuster might just total it out. If that happens I will definitely buy it back and have it fixed. To be fair on the 12 mile drive to his shop I was amazed how there were no vibrations, steering tracked straight, not even wind noise or anything.

Looks like Utah is a Total Loss Formula state where (Cost of Repairs) > (FMV of Car) appears to be the legal guideline for whether it gets totaled or not.

What do KBB and Black Book say it's worth?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Looking at the values yours will get totaled for sure. As long as the frame isn’t bent you can make her right and keep on going. Get a steel bumper while you’re at it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Tuesday (today) I call my agents office with a "WTF guys, I know not your department of crap do deal with but it has been over a week since I reached out to total loss and still have heard zero things and we are peeing away money at rental/storage fees" and I heard a surprised person on the other side who said he would be calling A at total loss and see what was going on. Then at 5:00 PM I get a call from Enterprise with a message of "Hey, so did your insurance company call you to tell you that your rental coverage was ending today?" which my reply was "no I definitely have NOT received anything from them indicating as much. Funny since my policy covers 30 days rental. I wish they would call me. I haven't heard from them in over a week." So I have the rental car still, because what the hell?

Dudes. This is Not GoodTM

That sucks. Fwiw it took me a month+ of dealing with my auto insurance to get the payout on my MB wagon, and 5.5+ months since the fire we haven't even settled with our homeowner's insurance over contents, and zero reconstruction has taken place on the house. Stay vigilant

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

For my part I think the issue is that for the money offered, he can't replace the quality of the experience that he had prior to the accident for the payout.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Get a 200 if you can swing it, the 3UR-FE + 6 speed auto is night and day better at our mutual altitude.

I think there is literally a +100hp difference between a 2006/7 and a 2008+ plus better gearing.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Used X5Ms are cheap and vastly more entertaining than the wet-noodle chassis Flex (man did they name it right, those things and the hideous narwhal platform-mate Lincoln MKT of the same era are scary at even modest limits.)

You’re high if you think you can wedge two boosters and a front facing car seat into an M3 for any long-term setup. Your wife and kids will hate you. The car doesn’t have a long enough wheelbase to make the whole setup comfortable, the rear bench has too much lateral bolstering which forces you to put the youngest in the middle which is the worst possible spot for the largest car seat, the kids in the boosters may not even be able to easily buckle their shoulder belts with a bigass front-facing car seat in the way, and everyone is going to be uncomfortable and pissy.

Deets: I have played 3 Car Seat Monty in my G8, E55, CTS-V, E63s, Cayenne, GL550, X5M, Land Cruiser (80, 100, and 200), Suburban, Raptor, S65, and a bunch more dumb stuff, and I’m telling you that if you want to go 2-row, the X5 has the best rear bench of all of the above for kids car seats save the Raptor, and even then it’s close. No foolin’.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The 2006 LX 470 is a bust. That is why you get the PPI people. There appears to be a slight oil leak at the pan. To get to the pan you simply need to remove the engine and transmission book rates being about 20 hours labor. Rear shock is leaking slightly as well. Replace it and the pressure of the AHC will just find a way to fail in the next weakest spot (plus the rear shock is the absolute worst to remove on the LX). The radiator is packed in and needs replacing. They would need to give me the truck for $6K for me to even consider it at this point. The steering rack is leaking and the 2006 is a special bird that for ~reasons~ is $1302 for the new OEM unit :yikes:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/caldwell-2003-toyota-landcruiser/7047666428.html
Doesn't look too bad. If I am being honest I want one with less miles or more features based on that many miles. Good start though.

The GX is seemingly everywhere. I see them all the time, pricing is reasonable and usually better than their T4R counterparts. I just hate the swing out rear door, and I want the space of the LC/LX. They are a really nice size, especially the rear bench.

I don't want to get too excited but I just found this on Autotrader and based on the quality of the photos and seemingly transparency I am super interested in this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...LC&LNX=VDPCCEML

The juicy part; factory rear diff lock. Only offered on the 98/99. The center diff lock was standard on everything. Nice upgrades, an appropriate size lift. I am feeling it. Messaged the seller, hope to hear back soon.

Remember that there's no stability control or ATRAC on 1998-1999 trucks. Also no LATCH connectors for kids car seats. They're also gutless. ;/

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Now you’re talkin’. PS there’s a built in roof mounted DVD screen to regale your kids with. Give in to the dark side

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Don’t buy anything with even a hit of rust exposure. Our 2013 LC, built at the end of 2011 (they skipped 2012 MY) and bought as a loving CPO truck in 2016, came to me with seized KDSS valves. It spent over a month at the local Toyota dealer which had to have specialized equipment sent to them on borrow to re-pressurize the system.

With that said last after they replaced the KDSS valve block I was able to have my local mechanic install an Icon coilover lift on it. However without the CPO program footing the bill I think it was over $2500 in parts & labor. Get the nicer truck!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

everdave posted:

Listen I’m the weirdo with 100 grand of weird Japanese imports but 10-15k is one range and 22-33 is another. I’d say get a nice down south Lexus for 14-15 maybe down in fort or something

$10-$15k for a way better experience is a couple grand a year over the time he could expect to own it... Not my money and everyone has a budget but the 200 is Way Better at just about everything versus a 10-15 year older 100.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm surprised the AHC on the LX 570s is impossible to remove, are they just too new and expensive for people to have made a solution yet?

New? The LX570 has been on the market for 13 years.

Expensive is relative; there are a lot of people beating the hell out of 200 LCs now but far fewer LX570s, in part due to AHC. There are also some AHC diehards on IH8Mud who swear by it but the potential target market is so small anyway I doubt it’s worth figuring out how to divorce the intrinsic computers from the system.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I haven't done much reading on it, but seems like people with GXs easily remove the AHC and convert to coils, is the problem with the LXs that you get warning lights? One guy on the GX forum moved the AHC height sensor and was able to raise it 2" while keeping AHC.

I made my first change to my GX today, swapping out the driving support switch control for the Canadian version in order to get muti-terrain select support. Pretty easy task, just take off a bunch of trim, the passenger knee airbag, and the glove box and you can swap the module out.

Old on the left, new on the right:

The module is located directly above the glove box, you can see the loose connector hanging there (it just looks like the glove box is hanging from the light wiring, it's not):

Once the new module is plugged in, the main ECU automatically recognizes it and adds MTS support. Pressing the mode button on the steering wheel now adds this option:

And now you can select the appropriate terrain, which changes the amount of intervention it uses to limit wheelspin:

The 2020 models in the US will now have it as an option, but this was easy enough and the part was ~$200.

Here's a video from Toyota that shows it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIm_J9VrrE

I love it when community enthusiasts discover stuff like that, that's awesome.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

$6900! What a deal. Nice find. Is that the river rock green metallic color from that era? I absolutely love that color...

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

how tho. It is commonly understood all Land Cruisers come off the assembly line with 200K on them.

This is so awesome. I can't wait for detailed close ups!

People want absurd money for a 100 series with <100k mi so I hope LobsterboyX didn’t pay like $20k for the thing. :(

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That turned out great. The more I see hidden winch setups the more I like the idea of just keeping the stock bumper setup. It doesn't seem like I will benefit a ton from approach angles by aftermarket bumpers with what my intended use is about. Having the armor would be nice though should I hit a deer or something stupid like that. The extra weight seems to be better when you put a heavier lift on too. I will talk to Cruiser Outfitters for suggestions when I go get my lift kit from them.

I am seriously throwing around the idea of selling our Flex and buying my wife a 200 series. If I am being honest when we have done longer hauls in the 100 instead of the Flex the extra space has been kind of nice. That 200 I test drove the other month was really nice and I think I would definitely prefer it. Mileage hit is pretty minimal - within a few MPGs. The extra lux of the 200 would be awesome.

Sir just what exactly do you think a 200 is going to turn in re: MPGs

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I drove our 200 for the first time in a while today and looked at the trip computer:
- 11.0 mpg average
- 9.0 mpg since refill

Granted this is on winter high-ethanol content gas, and I think my wife has been doing almost exclusively city driving recently, but c’mon. It’s only on 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, but it’s up in the air a little bit on the Icon suspension and has the sliders and the swing out rear bumper. I’m just saying that even stock they get bad MPGs but once you bolt more onto it, it’s going to get way worse.

About a year ago we did a brief trip down to White Sands National Monument and I think it got ~13mpg average with my lead foot driving it.

Re: diesels, even if we got them you would pay a large premium for the truck to be slower and need more maintenance. As the 3UR-FE is known for being pretty reliable all told I think the trade off is OK, just expect frequent fill-ups.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

That slammed 100 throws off a strong Forester XXL vibe that really diminishes the truck. :/ Each to their own I guess

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The ih8mud guys will know what’s up. It was the 00s with bad transmissions I think?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

So back this fall once I onlined my 100 after fixing the rusty rockers, baselining the front end, unfucking the rusty rear end, fixing the locker, replacing all the brake and fuel lines.... I noticed after driving it the steering rack leaks. Part of overhaul part 2.

I did a lot of cool poo poo this fall, but it wasnt perfect like I wanted and some of the land cruiser 100 flaws werent addressed. Time to go all in.

Rip the front diff out to replace the weak carrier:

Leaking rack out. The steering intermediate shaft was seized on and I already bought another, cut it:

Break the heater Ts while jacking the motor up to get the rack out because you're too stubborn to undo the oil filter and a bunch of other poo poo "you're supposed to do". When Kurt Williams says four seasons are fine and order them, that's what I do.

And while the front diff... and steering rack... and steering shaft.... are all out. You have room to do... things....

Two days, a can of map gas, and some penetrant. Did I mention this was a New England truck all its life?

Going in once I get my lower gaskets that werent shipped in the order like the should have.

This week the front diff rebuild bits show up, so I can drop that off at the installer. This week and next weekend is wirewheel everything and paint, then headers and steering rack install. Going to try and get it all done so I'm just waiting on the diff to get the truck back on the road.

After that it's rear swing out install, rear light bar install, lots of other wiring projects. etc.

Are those Doug Thorleys? That’s badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There are some pretty good arguments for buying the best version of the thing you want, but yeah an ICON suspension set would be sweet and mega $$$. Not everyone wants to buy a thing and rip it apart immediately. Also cool to have another Utah goon. I am in the south end of the valley bordering Utah Valley

ICON suspension was a significant improvement on my 200 over the stock Toyota suspension which wasn’t great.