Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Great truck and great price on getting the belt done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Subscribed!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congrats on your purchase slurry_curry, I don't think it is a bad thing to spend a few extra K's on a known service history truck.

But like Tremek said and for anyone else tuning in, shipping a vehicle across the country is much, much cheaper than I ever thought it would be now that I do it all the time.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Here is a pic.

I totally missed this happening, drat sorry!!! But now you have an excuse for "upgrades"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Listen I’m the weirdo with 100 grand of weird Japanese imports but 10-15k is one range and 22-33 is another. I’d say get a nice down south Lexus for 14-15 maybe down in fort or something

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

I love it when community enthusiasts discover stuff like that, that's awesome.

Seconding that, that is so freaking awesome

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kontour posted:

The good thing about Oz is that we have a great aftermarket here for all sorts of stuff and parts are pretty easy to source.

Do you know or can link a place or give an idea for prices for a Land Cruiser truck bed? It is what is holding me and my buddy back from purchasing some Cruiser fire trucks. Haven't been able to find out if a truck bed is available.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kontour posted:

How do you mean truck bed? Like a ute tray? What kind of set up do you want to run?

removing the fire equipment from the back of a 4 door cruiser and replacing it with something else. what does a "ute tray" look like?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thank you Kontour!!!! Super helpful thank you!!!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Great buy!!!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Amazing buy and my favorite color. Awesome. So glad to see an update with pics!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

and I remember hearing anecdotes from people working at Lexus in the early 90s and talking about the gold emblem package they would put on cars. I think they even talked about 'Midas Touch' or some sort of term for when they would put it on cars.

I worked at a Lexus dealer in the 90’s, there was a young guy who visited once a week or 2 to gold plate the emblems for customers. Some kind of electroplating setup or something just a little rolling cart he had and a van. I imagine he made BANK back then. Hope he saved it!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am totally anti-gold

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hope you used the coupon and got that for $9.99 instead of the sickening $14.99 it has been at

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

finally, a socket set meant for me

*edit*
oops sniped, this was in relation to:

drat it like I need another excuse to go to HF. These look too cool and useful not to go pick up a set with a coupon.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Beautiful. There is a reason built to strict standards by people who care. I love all cars but in the end you probably end up in a high end Yota.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I would never rebuild a transmission if I could easily find a used one, but I've had bad luck with rebuilding transmissions on Hondas. Also, it appears that every person who rebuilds transmissions is on meth yet somehow still takes way too long to get it rebuilt.

I'm not quite sure if you're asking about GXs here, but the recent gens have a 1UR-FE in them. My mileage tends to be 13 to 15mpg, it goes up a bit if I'm doing a lot of freeway driving. Back before corona virus times, I was pretty consistently between 13 and 14mpg with my usual routine of take the freeway one exit to the gym and back, drive on surface streets to work, drive home on the freeway (but going fast up the 2N, which kills mileage when your car is shaped like a brick).

I actually got sent to this program called ASEP for GM when I was young and when they had the automatic trans taken apart trying to teach us how to rebuild them i was like yeah i do not want to learn this or ever do this again

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It’s million yen for poo poo now this has happened in a few weeks time. The wave will hit USA prices soon. My best bid who has 2 Prados is getting just BS messages I told him to raise the prices past 20. They are fantastic.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kontour posted:

Bit late but I swapped my wheel out for one from an Aurion, using the factory clock spring I was able to the get the wheel controls working.

Picked up a blank from Amayama for the right side becuase I hate useless buttons.

Love stuff like this, nice!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

With the popularity of the "modern" era cars, I see this as the last time you can possibly pick up a 100 for a decent price. Their popularity has been growing slowly for so long, and while I paid quite a bit, close to this truck, mine has under 100k - I often wonder how much I could get for mine if I were to sell it on a site like BaT or DD's new site cars and bids.

I turned away so many trucks that were over 200k, also if the interiors had ANY poo poo like steering wheel re-wraps, and seats that look like this one (or an obvious refit) - Some were decent trucks, some were obviously bodged.

One in particular was a gold 04 that had 105k, they were offering it for $14,000, it was at a used "luxury" car dealership a few miles from my place, I took my very pregnant wife to go check it out and as soon as I got there I just wanted to walk away. I could tell it had been repainted the second I looked at it, I just gave it the once over and turned and walked away but the snake salesman snagged me - I gave the car a good look over, literally every panel on the truck had a different vin on it. I walked so quick on that one, but it just goes to show you that these are pretty popular.

Also, even with all the nutty poo poo going on right now, I've been asked if I'd sell the truck several times in my ~4mo of ownership.

Cruisers are gold mines my good buddy has been sitting on his two Parados for past 6 months and been tempted to lower price. I told him to raise the prices and fingers crossed he’s got a guy spending the night in a hotel checking both out in the morning g and picking one. What I paid for my Prado is impossible now. That why I’m keeping my Celsior I think no if I score any cruiser at my bid I know I can double my money. And it can still happen. But hard hard hard market right now. Forget the virus it was slow during March but the money is there and free flowing. If you are happy with your LC keep it and treasure it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If all you need is shade why not go with a $100 Chinese special from Amazon? I know ARB is top of the line but seems like a lot of cash just for that use. Just an opinion.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I totally see the benefits of something like a premium ARB if you use it all the time and get 10 years out of it. But if you just need some shade occasionally get a clip on amazon one. It stalls money not mine! I had lots of Japanese campers with ultra nice Gianna retractable awnings I see the appeal and convenience.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The Bean looks amazing and build quality looks too notch. If it’s in your budget by all means! Just seems so pricey (says someone who has spent $40k in a month on JDM imports). But seriously the pics and from your impression it sounds like an awesome camper/trailer!

In other news I have way too many cars and my kids were begging for a LHD car (out of 20+ I don’t own one).

I traded my mint bit not starting Surf for this. 92 Cruiser 163k, rust free. Nothing out of pocket to me. Trader shipped both ways. I probably got the short end of the stick. I doubt anyone wants to help but it idles rough at times and will only start in neutral not park.

Brand new tires. Hey I’m always up for something different and my oldest has been getting tired of being dropped off at middle school in tiny Japanese cara. No one appreciates anything.

I have a beautiful Crown Majesta arriving this month as a keeper bit I’d like to keep the Cruiser as well if I can get it fully sorted if not should be an easy sell.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

The starting issue is almost certainly the park/neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission.

Sweet is that a hard fix? Or I assume
Pretty accessible on this lifted one. I’ll go ahead and look up the part at work tomorrow. Thank you!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’d say happy to take it for no up charge, why pay the difference?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I mean of course that’s naturally where the mind goes and I might have considered the gamble but I didn’t for a couple reasons:
They’ve got an order list about 100 deep and he chose to contact me first on this. He’s doing me a solid by getting this to me months sooner than when mine would be done

The value is there; it’s a higher end option so I’m not getting overcharged.

I can afford the difference, and in the scope of the whole thing we’re talking an increase in price by like 2%. Should I need anything warrantied or help in the future I’d rather be known as a delightful customer to work with.

I understand, if you are happy with it that is all that matters.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have acquired so much stuff, and along with your Bean purchase, looks like I am going to attempt to build my own teardrop style camper. Will post a thread once it is well under way and I have CONTENT.

Also, I happen to have a 92 Cruiser, lifted (huge rear end truck) 169k miles, that I absolutely do not want. I think after I sell this for ridiculous going to get a JDM stock Cruiser to keep.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Your Bean looks very cool!

I am thinking if I do build I’m going to stretch it out and not have a “galley”, hopefully can cram me and my 2 giant kids in to one. I cook almost every night I think we’d be fine just grilling.

everdave fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 4, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
After the first Bean outing are you happy with the purchase?

I am hemming and hawing on whether to start a build…for you yes a camper is no questions. Just trying to ask myself if that would really suit my needs or if I should just put the money towards the jdm Cruiser I want as my second keeper vehicle

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I Are there any discounts to be had by going jdm?.

Not really but the way US prices are climbing maybe? I just look everyday at the auctions so I have the luxury of bidding somewhat low and trying to get lucky (what I could have got for 8-9k tho is 12-15 now). I just specifically want a diesel vacation package model or trim they have. But I’d settle for a low km completely stock diesel or gas in the right color, or go after the rare 5 speed 80s there.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
A cruiser? What do you have?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Bloody posted:

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4WD Double Cab SR-5 Long Bed, to use the full title

Post some pics!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am not an expert but I’ve taken some jdm campers and vans lately to the waterfall campsites nearby and rv sites have power tents do not. So it was nice to have an extension cord just to power things and the price was only $20 more

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Really really like the blue - haven’t seen that before - but I do think the bronze would work better on your setup. I think with all the accessories it would kind of clash (blue)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I had a 14k mile 2.4 turbo surf and someone put gas in it at US port I assume and it ruined the engine. It was absolutely beautiful and black. I traded it for a nightmare of a cruiser but it’s all over now.

I have CONTENT to add to this thread but not ready yet. Soon.

SH everyone will want your Surf. Make that money. They are obviously tighter quarters than the LX. But absolutely more visceral

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It has absolutely nothing to do with not being able to sell SUVs or the Land Cruiser here

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah I wanted to insure my Delicas and one classic place was insanely high - higher than normal full coverage and the other was insanely cheap. Got all approved and then wouldn’t do it because of the age of my other vehicles. All pretty ridiculous. Say what you will but at least Progressive doesn’t blink when I throw JDM stuff at them monthly.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Has anyone used Smittybilt Defender roof racks or their brand rooftop tents? Reviews seem to be good...going back and forth whether I want to get a huge rack and tent for my Delica or keep it completely stock...the Thule tents look nice too. I would prefer a hardshell tent but don't want to spend that amount...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

I was about to post in the 4x4 thread, but - i just got back from a night out using the smittybilt RTT, and (at least for me) its a dead end and I'm going to be selling it ASAP.
I should throw out the caveat that I'm middle aged, pretty lazy, and also hurt myself in an electric bike crash about a week ago, so my tolerance for physical activity and movement is extremely low.

My specific issues are maybe because its a Smittybilt, but I kinda think these problems are endemic to RTTs

- Performance loss was HUGE. at least 3mpg hit, plus constantly flooring it and oaring through gears. I have a 2019 tacoma V6 which had zero problems before I added it
- Its a PITA / time consuming to set up and break down. I think this is more specific to the Smittybilt, or any of the vinyl covered RTTs, but the mechanics of undoing all the straps, unzipping the cover around the entire tent, and then getting the tent unfolded is actually a decent amount of work, and involves a lot of stepping up/down on my truck tires... its a little detail, but very annoying. Collapsing the thing is worse, because the tent has to basically be slowly lowered while the tent material is physically shoved into place. Last night I was trying to do this in the dark, and the zipper to the cover got caught on the tent material. Zipper was completely bound and the tent cover made odd flopping noises on the way home. Seems ok but I haven't pulled it all apart yet.
- Its not very comfortable. Going up and down the crappy ladder sucks, I have a dog and getting him up and down the ladder extra sucks. The base felt secure, but not very stable so the dog sorta hated every moment up there. Ultimately, the tent designer made a bunch of sacrifices w/r/t the tent being one cohesive piece so that all the hinges and stuff would work. What this means is that there are a bunch of fiddly nylon/velcro flaps that go over all of the hinges. These holes in the tent let in a lot of noise, light, and dust.

Ultimately, I put down a deposit on a GFC camper this morning

This is absolutely golden real world experience! Sorry you hated it but I imagine I would to - so you’ve basically turned me off of it. My Delica folds out in the rear to a huge bedding area anyways - unless I can find a deal on a hard top instant up and down tent I am passing. Sounds like a big annoyance and my van would take a much bigger power sap than your Tacoma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

ryanrs posted:

Nothing about sleeping in a van is improved by trying to do it on the roof. Roof tents are for vehicles where you can't physically lie down inside.

Thankful I thought it through more and got some feedback