Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Last week I noticed a bird nest on my lawn. It was about 15' away from a large tree, so I assumed that the wind must have knocked it down. Being a gentle, helpful human, I put on gloves and very carefully placed it back in the tree:

I felt like I'd done a good thing and was really proud of myself, but then the next day I saw the beginnings of a new nest on the ground underneath my partner's car. The next day the nest was complete, so in an effort to try and teach this idiot bird that nests go in trees, I moved it to the tree:

*Noticeably crappier construction, I think given more time it could have done a better job*

That day I noticed a Robin plopping around where the nest was. Another Robin landed near it and it chased it off, then returned underneath my partner's car to chill.

Then I left for a few days. During that time I got a text from my partner telling me that a new nest was on the ground.

Then the next day there was a cute little egg.

That afternoon my partner came home to find the nest torn to shreds and the egg gone :(

Anyway, this morning I walked out to find this:

The moron bird is at it again. I fully expect that it will be done by the end of the day. What can I do, GBS? This bird is obviously not cut out for bird stuff but he works really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
the bird is a metaphor for you, op

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Put up a little sign that says "Don't build a nest here!"

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
salt the earth

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dang, I feel that if I knew how to fix a birdbrain I'd also know how to fix my brain.

Unless you can find some obnoxious toy that will emit loud noise at random, I don't think the bird will abandon the sweet spot.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Fill the nest with fake eggs.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Have you tried talking with the bird? He might be having a hard time.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Do you know what kind of bird it is? It's probably a ground nesting species (like a sandpiper).

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Fight the bird and put it on youtube.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Icochet posted:

Fight the bird and put it on youtube.

This isn't Disneyland lol

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You gotta move now. White flight.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Telebite posted:

Do you know what kind of bird it is? It's probably a ground nesting species (like a sandpiper).

No it's a Robin, just a dumb one

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Complain to your homeowners association, that bird definitely didn't get permission from the architectural committee before building those nests.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

just let it nest and park your car carefully. egg season isn't that long. build it a little box?

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Blow up the whole tree you idiot.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

I feel helpless. Maybe a human-made birdhouse with pretend chimney is more it's liking

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
You have to spray your musk all over that car and tree. Better spray the perimeter of your house too.

You must do this in broad daylight too.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Shark mouth eat the eggs

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Cool story OP, have you ever heard of this idea called "natural selection?"

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ask to speak with the birds manager.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Stop taking away his home you dick!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I'll see if it keeps building today and if it does go with peanut's suggestion and make a little stick fence around it to keep out egg poaching animals

It's own little Groverhoause

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

Shark mouth eat the eggs

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Load bearing feathers

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In all honesty, touching the nest, even with gloves on, marks it with scent.
Birds do not like that.

Disturbing a nest or attracting attention to it freaks birds out, especially robins. If they think you've seen the nest (OH NO) they will abandon or destroy it. Moving it or putting a box or things around it will confuse and anger the birds because birds are loving stupid, stupid animals.
The best thing you could do is put up a nice box for them NEAR the location that they've seemingly chosen, again, stupidly, because they are stupid, stupid birds and are dumb, and hope they move themselves into it after this new nest is again destroyed.

The fact that they laid an egg in the other nest before it got blown up is PROBABLY not a good sign, because I THINK the birds want to build a nest when they are getting ready to pop out their egg(s) and once they laid, they, well, are out of eggs. They may still want to build another nest because they are stupid and still feel the need to build a nest now that it's nest building time, but might not have any more eggs left in their bird-egg tube to crap out into it, because of how dumb they are.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My understanding was that songbirds have a poor sense of smell, and our moms told us otherwise to stop us from meddling with wild birds and coming home covered in insects.

Robins are really skittish about disturbed nests and very stupid in where they put them though, that much I'm sure is true.

If this bird is building a ground-nest to lose eggs out of, maybe he is too stupid to breed. Or maybe he was playing cards with a snake and got really far behind and now he owes the snake a couple of eggs.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you gently caress with the nest or the eggs they will reject them and poo poo.

Go watch Watership Down (original) and get sorted.

Animals dont have parents, ambulances, healthcare, strangers who can help with a wound. They cant help them selves, and neither can other birds help them, if their beak is broken, theres nowhere to go.

----------------

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 11, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Uhh bunny rabbits don't lay eggs.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Yeah, sounds like you got the original nest and eggs rejected dude. Birds don't need your help, sounds like they're all laughing at you tbh.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colonel Cancer posted:

Uhh bunny rabbits don't lay eggs.

its an animal film with similar poo poo dumbdick

----------------

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I saw this thing on tv that is a plastic owl that makes noise and flashes spooky red laser eyes at unwanted animals, maybe look into that OP.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Robins build their nests in dumb places in general build a little box and put the nest in it. The robin will use it

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No, OP should kill themselves under the tree, the animals that would like the birds will feast on the body instead, and the egg can just do its poo poo.

big nipples big life posted:

I saw this thing on tv that is a plastic owl that makes noise and flashes spooky red laser eyes at unwanted animals, maybe look into that OP.

theres one of those owls in storage at my work, i want to have it on my counter next to my plant, but nooooo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Moron Bird Help sounds like a cool album name.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Badman (OP) and robin

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This bird has failed to learn from thousands of years of bird development. Evolution has failed this bird. It is too stupid to place its nest out of reach from predators, and does not deserve to pass on its genes.

A bird who endanger he own nest. A shameful bird.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Birds always assume the intelligence of their landlord, OP. This is known since ancient times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Chomp8645 posted:

This bird has failed to learn from thousands of years of bird development. Evolution has failed this bird. It is too stupid to place its nest out of reach from predators, and does not deserve to pass on its genes.

A bird who endanger he own nest. A shameful bird.

Word