Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

That whole "birds will reject their own children if they have even the slightest hint of not-bird smell" thing is a complete myth fyi, animals are dumb but they're not that dumb.

Now if you disturb a nest before the egg hatches, the bird may decide to cut its losses and go somewhere else since it figures you're a predator who will come back and eat the thing, but once it hatches they're very invested in not letting it die.

Oh yeah sure bird scientist let me know when someone with a REAL job weighs in here Doctor Birds *makes huge jackoff motion*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

lol my driveway is over 100' long, I ain't paving poo poo. I have gravel that I'm putting down, mostly in the ruts, but I live in Canada and our winters just gently caress ground up for no reason, so a long paved driveway wouldn't work.

Anyway, there was no new activity on the nest. Maybe it died trying to talk to a cat or something.

Sup long lovely driveway buddy, the house I grew up in was like that. Protip: if you have a cat you can fill the potholes with old clumping kitty litter when you change it out for fresh stuff, over time water causes it to compact and fuse together and harden

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Free eggs, dude. Make yourself an omelet. What's the issue?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shame Boy posted:

Sup long lovely driveway buddy, the house I grew up in was like that. Protip: if you have a cat you can fill the potholes with old clumping kitty litter when you change it out for fresh stuff, over time water causes it to compact and fuse together and harden

Is this one of those 'if it sounds dumb but it works is it really dumb?' things?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It works but the city hates it and will change your address officially to 'Casa Mierda, Catshit Avenue'

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

leave a copy of this by the nest op

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is this a moron bird who needs help or a moron who needs help helping a bird or are you trying to get some morons to help you with a bird? I'm guessing all of the above.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Chomp8645 posted:

This bird has failed to learn from thousands of years of bird development. Evolution has failed this bird. It is too stupid to place its nest out of reach from predators, and does not deserve to pass on its genes.

A bird who endanger he own nest. A shameful bird.

Trying to explain to my coworkers why I'm laughing uncontrollably.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i've noticed robins building ground nests around my yard which is really dumb and bad for them because as of like a week ago i have a dog, i couldn't figure out why they were doing it until i was outside at exactly the right time to see horrifying swarms of like a dozen loving blue jays screaming and taking over literally every tree in the yard except the mulberry one in the far back - and then that night i saw the mulberry tree was loving full of racoons

so yeah there's probably some severe ecological pressure if they're building on the ground, blue jays will gently caress other birds's nests right the hell up (they're corvids like crows so they're really smart but they're also huge assholes, even as far as other birds, which says a lot) and i'm pretty sure raccoons'll eat eggs right from nests too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

Is this one of those 'if it sounds dumb but it works is it really dumb?' things?

I mean my dad's the one that thought up the idea and did it / made us do it so...

Yeah it's still dumb.

Icochet posted:

It works but the city hates it and will change your address officially to 'Casa Mierda, Catshit Avenue'

The "census designated place" I grew up in has repeatedly voted not to incorporate as a city (to its constant detriment) so nobody will ever stop us :getin:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

i've noticed robins building ground nests around my yard which is really dumb and bad for them because as of like a week ago i have a dog, i couldn't figure out why they were doing it until i was outside at exactly the right time to see horrifying swarms of like a dozen loving blue jays screaming and taking over literally every tree in the yard except the mulberry one in the far back - and then that night i saw the mulberry tree was loving full of racoons

so yeah there's probably some severe ecological pressure if they're building on the ground, blue jays will gently caress other birds's nests right the hell up (they're corvids like crows so they're really smart but they're also huge assholes, even as far as other birds, which says a lot) and i'm pretty sure raccoons'll eat eggs right from nests too

Once I saw a crow being swooped and attacked by a mockingbird and watched it for a while and it hopped up into a bush and found a nest and stole an egg, then hopped away with it while the mockingbird was frantically flapping and screeching in a panic, and I just stood there and watched like a monster :sigh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The other day I looked out of my office window where there was a mother duck taking her ducklings for their first swim and then glanced slightly up to see a crow perched on a ledge above watching them. I've never seen such a perfect tableau of looming tragedy.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

moron bird help

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have trouble laugh? Moron bird help. :hai:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shame Boy posted:

I mean my dad's the one that thought up the idea and did it / made us do it so...

Yeah it's still dumb.

Oh hey hold up there partner. If it's a dumb dad idea it has my unconditional respect.

Is there a dumb dad ideas that work thread?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Legal Trouble?
Foreign DUI Again?
Ex Bird Wife steal egg?

Moron Bird Help.

Yell 866-LAW-BIRD

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Legal Trouble?
Foreign DUI Again?
Ex Bird Wife steal egg?

Moron Bird Help.

Yell 866-LAW-BIRD

Call J.G. Songbird!

877 NEST-NOW

877 NEST-NOW

It's my birdhouse and I want it now!!!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Can you abduct another bird and put it on your driveway? I'm kinda invested in this thread now

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Dude. He just wants you to go to church and give the church money. Just tell him and his buddy that you're not interested because you're gay and you only believe in science. Or just join up and meet a sweet church lady that wants lots of kids and you can have lots of shameful sex.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chomp8645 posted:

Call J.G. Songbird!

877 NEST-NOW

877 NEST-NOW

It's my birdhouse and I want it now!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

never talk to me or my moron bird again

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
try stapling a wikihow article to the ground nest so that idiot bird will realize he's been doing it wrong this entire time. he'll feel like such an idiot but it has to happen at some point.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I can help you

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

i guarantee this is the bird in OPs story. i can't imagine a more alpha move than building your nest under a damned car, forcing weak home-owners to move the nest themselves because they're hindered by sympathy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Serious question: Is the bird on drugs? Or has it spent a lot of time around a toxic waste dump?

Either of those things could affect it’s decision making skills wrt where to build nests.

:birddrugs:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Big Beef City posted:

Legal Trouble?
Foreign DUI Again?
Ex Bird Wife steal egg?

Moron Bird Help.

Yell 866-LAW-BIRD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcderLXiwa8

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I. M. Gei posted:

Serious question: Is the bird on drugs? Or has it spent a lot of time around a toxic waste dump?

Either of those things could affect it’s decision making skills wrt where to build nests.

:birddrugs:

Dosing birds with LSD sounds like a hilariously cruel jape.

Also cats and chimps.

I'm glad I'm not 60s scientist because I'd definitely do that sort of thing if I didn't have a conscience or ethical committee oversight.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
OP have you considered making a deal with the birds and harvesting their eggs in exchange for food and protection from predators?

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Legal Trouble?
Foreign DUI Again?
Ex Bird Wife steal egg?

Moron Bird Help.

Yell 866-LAW-BIRD

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
The local turkey bird here has been building a cubic metre sized mound and has a harem of 4-5 other birds he roots.

He comes into my kitchen when I'm not looking and steals poo poo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
you're doomed to constantly encounter time-unbound reincarnations of yourself op

statistically speaking you've killed yourself on the road several many times, this goes for all of you

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Jestery posted:

The local turkey bird here has been building a cubic metre sized mound and has a harem of 4-5 other birds he roots.

He comes into my kitchen when I'm not looking and steals poo poo

hahah, classic turkey antics

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

slaw bird he comin

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Good Ol Filbert posted:

hahah, classic turkey antics

Never has there been a goonier bird

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Jestery posted:

Never has there been a goonier bird

I love him so much

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Time bound reincarnations of myself eh? Well if those jerks didn't break the cycle and become enlightened maybe they deserve to die, the worthless slobs!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just when you think the bird is gone it comes back.

Moron Phoenix Help

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Our neighbor has a family of hawks in their tree. One of the adults was on the roof and a mockingbird was dive bombing it, like a moron.

Hawk was like :effort:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I lived on an island for a year that was home to a lot of endangered ground nesting birds. Since ships came through, there was eventually a rat problem. The British governor's genius solution was to bring in cats that would eat the rats. The cats immediately realized the defenseless baby birds were a wayyyy easier meal and the Brits frantically tried to kill the cats AND rats. It's a wonder these people ever had an empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
It's the Groverhaus of bird nests op, unfortunately no amount of constructive berating will change its behavior