Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Heretic holds up pretty well these days because it's so simple. It's basically a reskin of Doom with some quality of life improvements like an inventory, and that makes it really easy to like.

Hexen is a much more complicated game, and while I think it was a fairly important step in the evolutionary tree of gaming, it just didn't age well. The Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is more of the same but harder, so it's kinda hard to recommend.

I haven't played Hexen II in a long time, but I remember thinking it wasn't quite as good as the original game when it first came out. I actually bought a copy from Steam, but it won't launch, and I'm not particularly motivated to find out the issue.

I remember liking Heretic II, but that's abandonware and not legally available (if you care about that sort of thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, I really like Heretic because its just a Doom WAD total conversion, but it plays exactly like Doom. Every gun is a doom gun reskin. It adds a couple fun things though, but maybe not quite as good as Doom.

Hexen tries to do more and the back-tracking gets absurd at a certain point, so you have to look up a gamefaq because you missed a switch 2 levels ago. Hub worlds are cool but this was too rudimentary.

Hexen should be played and experienced, but I wouldn't necessarily worry about beating it.

Was it Heretic 2 or Hexen 2 that was a 3rd person hack and slash? I couldn't get into that one. That era of 3rd person action games was just maximum janky.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think Hexen 2 supported a third person view, but Heretic 2 required it. I seem to recall that it was pretty heavily influenced by Tomb Raider.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i really enjoyed the first episode of this game but i have peeked at the manual codex and seen that the next episode has spiders covered in eyeballs as a primary enemy and im now thinking about refunding it

please stop putting spiders in first person shooters especially not weird lo res ones where the lack of resolutions makes them somehow more terrifying :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the only time i want spiders in my video games is when it's like rom in bloodborne or spider mastermind in doom 2016: put them in a giant open well-lit arena where you can never not see them at any given time, thus removing the worst aspect of spiders, the surprise of encountering one

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Spiders? Nothing in this game really looks or behaves spiderlike. I checked the wiki and assuming you're talking about Crawlers they're a static, turret type enemy and don't even really animate. The enemies in E2 are more like tentacle monster fusions but are still pretty standard bipedals.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think they're some crystal ones in the arcane expanse but they look more like diamonds with legs than anything even remotely organic

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Just finished this game on Evil difficulty. I'm surprised at how many people are pro-Volttride and anti-Chaos Claw, because I had pretty much the opposite opinions. I hated the volttride and barely used it, but got a ton of mileage out of the chaos claw.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AnEdgelord posted:

I think they're some crystal ones in the arcane expanse but they look more like diamonds with legs than anything even remotely organic
They look almost exactly like HL2 antlions, only made of glass.

Arrhythmia posted:

Just finished this game on Evil difficulty. I'm surprised at how many people are pro-Volttride and anti-Chaos Claw, because I had pretty much the opposite opinions. I hated the volttride and barely used it, but got a ton of mileage out of the chaos claw.
I liked both!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Star of Torment is my favorite weapon by far

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Star of Torment is my favorite weapon by far

:hai:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Any FPS weapon that sticks enemies to walls is automatically better than the ones that don't

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

They look almost exactly like HL2 antlions, only made of glass.

Yeah, exactly. That's literally the first thing I thought of when I saw them. They remind me so much of the Ant Lions that if you were to tell me that they somehow just imported that part of the game into AMID EVIL and then rigged the skeletons to a slightly different retextured model, I would probably believe you.

Arrhythmia posted:

Any FPS weapon that sticks enemies to walls is automatically better than the ones that don't

This is one of the reasons why Painkiller's Stakegun remains one of my favorite FPS weapons. That, and the fact that it also has a grenade launcher, and you can launch grenades and intercept them with stakes that turn the projectile into a rudimentary missile that pretty much always feels cool to pull off.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 22, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I did appreciate how any enemy you killed with the mace would get wallsplatted, no matter how big.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It starts to become a bit of a problem in the Arcane Expanse and the Void, since you can't harvest your enemy's soul if you've launched them into the fathomless infinite.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
On the plus side it's even more brutal to consider their soul lost forever in the darkness, not even worthy of being used in your righteous crusade

Pretty sure the soul drops the moment they die though, not where they impale

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I skipped John Romero's generous offer back in the day but in this case I might consent.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Big post about the game's weapon sprites over on Unreal:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/tech-blog/amid-evil-crafting-3d-weapons-into-2d-sprites

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It still hurts my brain that the weapon models are sprites and not 3D polygons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wafflemoose posted:

It still hurts my brain that the weapon models are sprites and not 3D polygons

I mean, they're not hand-drawn sprites, so they're just pre-computed polygons. They're basically billboards, to borrow from another 3D rendering technique.

The real-time lighting on pre-rendered sprites thing is so slick though. Its been something taking indie 2d games by storm lately, but seeing it used in a 3D game is pretty wild. (Can't imagine how it'd come up outside of an intentionally retro game like this)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's definitely a case of doing something just to prove you can, because I can't think of any reason they wouldn't have just used models otherwise.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 22, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

It's definitely a case of doing something just to prove you can, because I can't think of any reason they wouldn't have just used models otherwise.

Yeah I can't really think of a reason you'd need to, modern computers don't exactly need you to cut corners on rendering view models, especially with poly counts like this game has.

And you'd think you could achieve the same result rendering in real-time and down-scaling the image using a shader to have it look pixelated, but IDK, I'm not an artist, I may be overlooking something subtle.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I'd be interested to know if the planets on the Celestial Claw are procgen or not (excluding earth)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The end result is really good looking but I don't know why you wouldn't just use the 3D models which would have the same look with fewer steps. Storing the sprites probably uses a lot more space on disc and in RAM, too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Because it's a cool thing to do, which is good enough for me. They got people talking about it after all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got up to the forges and I can see why people don’t like this episode

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Got up to the forges and I can see why people don’t like this episode

I made sure to do it as soon as I could. My mom was right, I should eat my vegetables before my dessert.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

The end result is really good looking but I don't know why you wouldn't just use the 3D models which would have the same look with fewer steps. Storing the sprites probably uses a lot more space on disc and in RAM, too.

i was surprised how much work it was - i figured they did it because it's easier.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I may be overlooking something subtle.

You could achieve a similar effect, but the main thing they were going for was that sense of the item being drawn to the screen arbitrarily as a sprite rather than existing in the world. Part of that is the fact that the item doesn't just not move, it very much does not move. If you put it in the world as a 3D object, you would have to do all sorts of bullshit to make sure it never, ever, ever twists relative to the camera, and with the bobbing motion they put them through, that just isn't possible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hard crashed the game by blowing up too many things

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

UPDATE: I beat the game, it was good

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I really loved the visual style of the forges, so much that I was able to forgive the jumping puzzles a little. It was such a mindfuck to come from five levels of sword-and-sorcery settings and suddenly find myself in the rain-drenched streets of the dystopian postcyberpocalypse.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

All you really need for Forges is a close relationship with quicksaving, and the ability to transgress if you're running with a strict no-save policy.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Forges looked cool and the platforming honestly wasn't that bad but it had my least favorite enemy in the game (the robots that shoot sparks)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I wasn't that thrilled with the Forges overall, but there was a moment in the first level where I looked up and realized that there was a giant structure half-hidden in the fog that I didn't know about, and that really felt good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arcane Expanse was awesome though and the music was fantastic

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

This game is a hell of a lot of fun and the homages the weapons pay to their types from Heretic and Hexen is pretty great. Whisper's Edge is probably my favorite, as it's a hell of a mashup between that one sword the Warrior uses and the Ethereal Crossbow

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Victory Position posted:

This game is a hell of a lot of fun and the homages the weapons pay to their types from Heretic and Hexen is pretty great. Whisper's Edge is probably my favorite, as it's a hell of a mashup between that one sword the Warrior uses and the Ethereal Crossbow

Whisper's Edge was easily my top used weapon. Low cost, decent damage, piercing wave attack that has impressive range. Enemies spawn and move at you in patterns that make for consistent multi-enemy hits per swing.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Just got through the Forges.

The atmosphere on the 1st map was incredible.

The rest was pretty meh. I like the machine style of the whole world, but the enemies are an absolute drag and are way too spongy.

Boss was all right once I figured out his gimmick. The design was A+, but not as much fun as the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Definitely going to pick this up with Dusk when I get paid this week. I missed out on Doom and Quake but I still have fond memories of Duke 3D and the original Unreal, and I've since played the other two.