Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Davros1 posted:

And then he somehow manages to inspire Charles Manson to carve a swastika into his own forehead years later

They met at a CIA mixer and really hit it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was wondering why people were still talking about this film still.

It's a good movie, op

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Like if it was the fifties and I saw someone with a swastika carved in his forehead I'd probably assume he was a victim of the Nazis not one himself... it's not like a tattoo.

Seems like carving a diagonal line over the swastika would be a relatively easy way to claim that you're just a hardcore antifascist.

Davros1 posted:

And then he somehow manages to inspire Charles Manson to carve a swastika into his own forehead years later

Would anyone even care about who Manson was in the Tarantinoverse?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was wondering why people were still talking about this film still.

I thought maybe people were talking about the novelization, but ain't nobody gonna read that poo poo.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I did.

If anyone is wondering I thought it was great, quickest 400 pages I've read in years. It tells the same story but expands on things that the movie glosses over, and it glosses over things that were a big deal in the movie.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah, I heard QT talk about it on WTF and it's on my list.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

King Vidiot posted:

I thought maybe people were talking about the novelization, but ain't nobody gonna read that poo poo.

Wikipedia excerpt on book posted:

Tarantino explains the inner thoughts of the controversial Bruce Lee-Cliff Booth fight, saying that Booth tricks Lee into the fight and Booth is fighting his own instinct to murder Lee more than Lee himself. Booth is a "ringer," a stuntman brought in and paid on the side to hurt actors who "tag" (hit for real) stuntmen. Lee does this and Booth believes Lee's kung fu is all for show and screen, and that judo is a superior martial art.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can we make this a QT general, he's always in season.

I've been listening to many many Tarantino podcasts lately, he's a gifted gabber. He can just go off and talk about countless movies for hours, with no limit. I've listened to maybe 10 so far, it's good stuff. There's a big list of podcast appreances on reddit, plus that Pure Cinema podcast he co-costs from time to time.

I also really liked the Michael Madsen episode of Pure Cinema, cool interview.

Any opinions on Hateful 8 theatrical vs netflix episodic version? I loved it in theaters (roadshow version), sounds like the Netflix one wasn't QT's idea, and Ive heard mixed things on if the new stuff enhances it. One thing I wonder is how 20~ extra minutes works without Morricone scoring it. I assume whoever put his tracks in the extra stuff did well though. I only tend to rewatch movies every five years or longer, so I'm about due for that one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That excerpt actually sounds interesting. The excerpt I read on Amazon... did not. I may have to give that book a read.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Heavy Metal posted:

I've been listening to many many Tarantino podcasts lately, he's a gifted gabber. He can just go off and talk about countless movies for hours, with no limit. I've listened to maybe 10 so far, it's good stuff. There's a big list of podcast appreances on reddit, plus that Pure Cinema podcast he co-costs from time to time.

Any opinions on Hateful 8 theatrical vs netflix episodic version? I loved it in theaters (roadshow version), sounds like the Netflix one wasn't QT's idea, and Ive heard mixed things on if the new stuff enhances it. One thing I wonder is how 20~ extra minutes works without Morricone scoring it. I assume whoever put his tracks in the extra stuff did well though. I only tend to rewatch movies every five years or longer, so I'm about due for that one.

The Netflix version sucks. The new scenes add nothing to the point I didn't even notice them. And the chapter placement is completely off, and some previous good moments of the film have been cut.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Netflix version sucks. The new scenes add nothing to the point I didn't even notice them. And the chapter placement is completely off, and some previous good moments of the film have been cut.

Much thanks, good to know.

Rewatched Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs recently, still great.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Heavy Metal posted:

Heavy Metal posted:

I still haven’t watched H8 Extended. On the subject of QT gabbing I bought the Umbrella re-release of Not Quite Hollywood solely for the Quentin convo that’s new to it, but cannot get it to play on my player (not a region thing, more an aging Blu-ray player that occasionally tells me to gently caress off with certain new discs.)

King Vidiot posted:

That excerpt actually sounds interesting. The excerpt I read on Amazon... did not. I may have to give that book a read.

It’s like $8. No-brainer, dude.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

Like if it was the fifties and I saw someone with a swastika carved in his forehead I'd probably assume he was a victim of the Nazis not one himself... it's not like a tattoo.

I heard a similar sentiment recently from someone who'd just seen the film. The thing is that Landa presumably wants to live an upper class life in high society. Even if he tries to play it off as "oh yeah I was a victim of the nazis" the German accented immigrant with a swastika carved on his forehead is still going to raise questions wherever he goes. it only takes one person looking into it to start something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, you'd think in the Inglourious Basterds universe, the Basterds would've had to have been well known after the war. And from there it's not hard to figure that the legend of Aldo Raine and his signature carving would also be widespread. Anybody with a swastika carved into their forehead would be assumed to have been a Nazi who'd been captured by Raine.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I just re-watched Desperado and there's definitely a heavy QT influence on the movie that I never picked up on when I first saw it back in the 90s. Anyone know how much QT did on that film or was it mostly Rodriguez?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I just re-watched Desperado and there's definitely a heavy QT influence on the movie that I never picked up on when I first saw it back in the 90s. Anyone know how much QT did on that film or was it mostly Rodriguez?

It’s pretty much just a remake of the first of that trilogy with a better cast, bigger tits, and in English.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I dug the book. It's the same story told differently. I think too many people have taken it to 'explain' what goes in the movie but it's clearly its own thing.

I do like that it expands the Tate story though, and carries through with the idea that she's just an up and coming actress excited about life and the future.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

DrVenkman posted:

I dug the book. It's the same story told differently. I think too many people have taken it to 'explain' what goes in the movie but it's clearly its own thing.

I do like that it expands the Tate story though, and carries through with the idea that she's just an up and coming actress excited about life and the future.

Well, it does answer the question of whether or not Cliff killed his wife.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well did he ?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
For a mere few bucks you can find out :)

I’ve been reading a chapter-ish a day, every evening by the river after my swim. I calculated last week that there were about as many swimming days left* as there were chapters. It’s been a nice way to wind up the end of Summer.

A few days ago I made the mistake of looking at Amazon reviews. There’s a handful of NoFun-niks who are poo-pooing it for not being a good novel. It must suck to never have fun.

*Usually exactly one week after labor day, oddly. Only twice in the last nine years has this not been true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Kuiperdolin posted:

Well did he ?

...yes.

Also, she was the 4th person he'd killed (not including in the war) and gotten away with it. Cliff is a bit of a serial killer.