Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeMaP8EPAA

Following on his 'what if history was cooler' films Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, the latest movie by Tarantino takes him to 1969 Los Angeles. Here, he paints a picture of a down-on-his-luck actor hanging around with his stunt double, looking to find a break that won't take him to Italy to do spaghetti westerns. The two move in next to Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski, and things continue on from there.

Releases in the US on July 26, and in the UK August 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeMaP8EPAA

Following on his 'what if history was cooler' films Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, the latest movie by Tarantino takes him to 1969 Los Angeles. Here, he paints a picture of a down-on-his-luck actor hanging around with his stunt double, looking to find a break that won't take him to Italy to do spaghetti westerns. The two move in next to Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski, and things continue on from there.

Releases in the US on July 26, and in the UK August 14.

The main 3 films I'm looking forward to this year are this, Bad Trip, and Hobbs and Shaw (which looks absurd in the good way).

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm sold solely on Damon Herrimon being in this, nevermind that he's gonna be Charlie loving Manson.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Got my tickets to see it at the theater Tarantino co-owns in LA, the New Beverly Cinema. Pretty sure it's the only place they're showing it in 35mm too. Can't wait!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ruddiger posted:

Got my tickets to see it at the theater Tarantino co-owns in LA, the New Beverly Cinema. Pretty sure it's the only place they're showing it in 35mm too. Can't wait!

They're showing it in 35mm at the Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin. I'd imagine it's more than just us two.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re showing it at my Drafthouse in Denver. Hopefully they’re showing it for longer than Thursday.

Sorry Tarantino, but Tenacious D is way more important.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
There's a combo I would never expect to see yet would be totally intrigued by

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm very excited by this. I've always been a Tarantino fan but The Hateful Eight really blew me away. There's something about that movie that makes the three hours run by without realizing how long it's been, and the atmosphere and acting are just top notch. I love Inglorious Basterds and Django, but I feel like Hateful really tapped into something for Tarantino. Hoping he kept that spark alive for Once Upon a Time even though it's obviously a completely different setting, but I'm excited to see it and I'm betting I'll like it regardless.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Blood Boils posted:

I'm sold solely on Damon Herrimon being in this, nevermind that he's gonna be Charlie loving Manson.

He’ll also be playing Charles Manson in the Netflix series Mindhunter

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I saw a trailer for this and it looked pretty good, but now I'm reading that this is going to be about the Manson Family murders? Sign me the gently caress up

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

I saw a trailer for this and it looked pretty good, but now I'm reading that this is going to be about the Manson Family murders? Sign me the gently caress up

drat kind of wish I had gone in blind because the trailer I saw didn't show any of the Manson stuff. Would have been a real shock. I thought it was Tarantino doing Oscar bait by making an "old hollywood" movie.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Weird Justified connection in the casting:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

KidDynamite posted:

drat kind of wish I had gone in blind because the trailer I saw didn't show any of the Manson stuff. Would have been a real shock. I thought it was Tarantino doing Oscar bait by making an "old hollywood" movie.

I mean it takes place in 1969 and some of the characters are Sharon Tate and some long haired creepo named Charlie.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

ruddiger posted:

Weird that the New Beverly isn't showing it in 70mm like the Alamo or Arclight theaters in SF and LA.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just hope Tarantino goes full alternate reality a la Inglourious Basterds and we get Leo and Brad teaming up with Bruce Lee to kick the Manson Family's rear end.

Also I have to assume that (spoilered for people who might've missed it in the trailer) Kurt Russell is reprising his role as Stuntman Mike.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Will Hillary Duff reprise her role as Sharon Tate?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Will there be feet in this movie?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BiggerBoat posted:

Will there be feet in this movie?

No the people all have wheels at the end of their legs, that’s the whole alt history premise of the thing

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

I just hope Tarantino goes full alternate reality a la Inglourious Basterds and we get Leo and Brad teaming up with Bruce Lee to kick the Manson Family's rear end.

That would not surprise me, given that Tarantino begged people at Cannes not to spoil the ending.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ibexaz posted:

Weird that the New Beverly isn't showing it in 70mm like the Alamo or Arclight theaters in SF and LA.

It was shot in 35mm, I believe

King Vidiot posted:

Also I have to assume that (spoilered for people who might've missed it in the trailer) Kurt Russell is reprising his role as Stuntman Mike.

Considering his age, more likely his brother, Stuntman Bob

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

King Vidiot posted:

MAJOR BIGTIME SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK: that is exactly what happens. tate is revealed to have gotten martial arts training from lee and joins them in the rear end-kicking once she's freed.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I hope to god thats true

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So yeah, gonna be there opening weekend :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man what the gently caress, how can they release this in Europe three weeks later?! :mad:

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

R. Guyovich posted:

MAJOR BIGTIME SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK: that is exactly what happens. tate is revealed to have gotten martial arts training from lee and joins them in the rear end-kicking once she's freed.

Uh, no. This does not happen. You can click on it, it literally does not happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

stratofarius posted:

Uh, no. This does not happen. You can click on it, it literally does not happen.

How disappointing

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

stratofarius posted:

As someone who hates spoilers but has very poor impulse control: nice

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Hoo boy, that ending sure wasn't what I expected.

It just shows Dalton and Cliff killing the Manson murderers in classic Tarantino grotesque ways. Saving the day and saving Tate and co. from being murdered.

It took it to be a literal reflection of the title of the movie, what happens is a fairy tale, a perpetual desire for Hollywood to keep up an illusion of stardom and magic even as the events of the real world come knocking at the door.

It will be very controversial for the casual moviegoer who only watches Marvel and Star Wars, but if you're not you'll find this movie very satisfying.

Best Tarantino since Pulp Fiction.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds came out after Pulp Fiction and were unquestionably better, basically, what in the world?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Walked out, was boring shite

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Wasn't really a fan. It's a real severe slow burn that hopes you buy into the wistfulness of hollywood and hope you emotionally resonate with the characters in order for the ending to land.

Generally I was just kind of bored by the endless tracking shots and close ups of nothing in particular happening.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

The marketing for this movie as someone who did not pay too much attention is phenomenal. The feel of it totally matched my expectations, but I had no idea it was about the Manson murders, and once I realized where it was going the tension between 'is this gonna be the real Manson murders" and "is this gonna go full Inglorious Bastards" was phenomenal.. Pitt deserves a loving Oscar.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's basically like the little Hollywood nostalgia snippets before Alamo Drafthouse movies just keep going and the movie never actually starts

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Pitt’s performance after smoking the acid cigarette was particularly fun. And I like how at the end, he gets to fulfill his role of stunt man by doing all the dangerous fighting and getting injured while Leo gets to look good with the flamethrowers, saving the day but not actually doing that much.

Also, Tarantino taking the risky stance that having sex with underaged girls is a bad thing :lol:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I kinda feel like the pitch meeting for this movie was "okay, dig this...it's like you're watching Titanic and then at the end...the fuckin' boat doesn't sink, and we also kill Adolf Hitler in the process...~somehow~."

Liked the movie, didn't love it. But as with all Tarantino movies, they're more amazing soundtracks with movies tacked on, which makes them more than watchable because the soundtrack is always the most important uncredited character.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also, Tarantino taking the risky stance that having sex with underaged girls is a bad thing :lol:

In a movie that features Roman Polanski, no less.

That being said, dedicating a good chunk of the movie to putting Margot Robbie's feet on display focused center-screen was a bit on-the-nose.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 26, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I liked it a lot, don’t have a lot to say about it at the moment except that it’s definitely Tarantino’s most sentimental movie (not in a bad way, for the most part). Leo and Pitt were both a delight. Pacing is a bit weird at the beginning, but once it gets to the single day that makes up probably 2/3rds of the runtime it really hits it’s stride.

The Margot Robbie stuff ends up feeling like a bit of a waste.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Chuka Umana posted:

Hoo boy, that ending sure wasn't what I expected.

It just shows Dalton and Cliff killing the Manson murderers in classic Tarantino grotesque ways. Saving the day and saving Tate and co. from being murdered.

It took it to be a literal reflection of the title of the movie, what happens is a fairy tale, a perpetual desire for Hollywood to keep up an illusion of stardom and magic even as the events of the real world come knocking at the door.

I love how the ending had a happy ending music interspersed with creepy darker minor keys. Like, we'd just watched something out the Twilight Zone. In real life, things weren't so nice and you're supposed to reflect on it. The testimonies of the murders are just a special, heartbreaking kind of pointless ratchetness that doesn't happen often. This is the revenge movie for the real world events. I love how the Tarantino-verse is also a kind of alternate history with Jews busting down the door and blowing Hitler's brains out before blowing him up, assassin ninjas being the true Illuminati, slave liberating cowboy super heroes, an even sketchier but more honorable '90s LA, men hanging a woman who deserves it even with their dying breaths in a cold remote cabin, and a world where super-likable Sharon Tate gets to live another day and continue her life with her baby and her baby daddy, implied to not be Roman Polanski for an even better ending for her. And all because the murderers knocked on the wrong loving door. His universe is still broken and sketchy as gently caress, but maybe ours is even worse. There's a kind of karmic justice in that universe. Wrongs get righted even if there's numerous problems before getting there. Makes sense he might get a Trek movie. His universe is one where poo poo gets done, for better or worse. Of course they get their poo poo together and get to space.

The movie was "fine"-ish. But spotlighting the implied alternate universe makes it seem more important somehow. Like, we should look at the other movies differently now as well. And that's cool. :)

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 26, 2019

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

that was the best acting I`ve ever seen in my whole life

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Definitely picked up on Chekhov’s flamethrower

I’d be fine if the rest of Tarantino’s career was just Brad Pitt traveling through time righting wrongs and doling out justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

General Dog posted:

I’d be fine if the rest of Tarantino’s career was just Brad Pitt traveling through time righting wrongs and doling out justice.

One of the fake names Brad Pitt's crew gives the Nazi general at the dinner in Inglorious Basterds was "Antonio Magaretti", one of the directors of Leo's films in Italy. Shiiit, maybe he's already doing that.