Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I personally loved how they portrayed Lee in the movie. Mike Moh really had his cadence down and he’s exactly as arrogant as he should be. I don’t have access to it now but I remember seeing an interview with his widow on the Enter the Dragon dvd where she talks about a time where he beat up a stunt guy on the set, but I could be misremembering it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nah, if I recall that story is the one about the stunt guy who hopped the fence around Lee's trailer and scared the poo poo out of his kids trying to challenge Lee to a fight.

Thanks for confirming that at least a little. I couldn’t find it on youtube and I’ve straight up lost that dvd.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Movie was great, it felt a little meandering at first with all the endless driving shots but by the end I was amazed that nearly three hours had passed. It feels good to be captivated by a film again even when nothing much is happening. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments but my favorite low key one was Rick describing the book he was reading to the little girl, I was cracking up even before he starts crying. So loving funny.

Near the end when they were presumably setting up the murder by showing Sharon Tate going to dinner with friends an old man sitting next to us got up and told his friend he didn't want to see what happened next and left the theater. I'm curious how that conversation went afterwards.

Did the old man have a Polish accent?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

xrunner posted:

How were the Tate scenes? My friend I went with didn’t know the history either and found them pointless.

Tarantino has been making movies about movies for decades now but I think this might be the first one that requires some baseline knowledge of Hollywood history to get anything out of.

Then again maybe seeing Pitt and DiCaprio goofin around is enough to make someone appreciate the movie , who am I to say.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I have not seen the film yet.

I assume you have to know who Sharon Tate is and the Manson murders for the full experience. Often times Tarantino movies require pre-existing knowledge of other movies/events in order to get the full effect, because he pulls out the rug from under you and does the opposite of the film/event he’s referring to:

If you’ve seen Point of No Return before seeing Pulp Fiction, you think Harvey Keitel is going to kill Jules and Vincent.

If you saw Lolita before seeing Kill Bill 2, well, you already know Bill shoots her because of the opening of Kill Bill 1, but it’s extra heart-wrenching because you’re reminded how Humbert left Lolita alone at the end of that movie.

Hitler commits suicide in WW2, not so in Basterds

Well I’d say this movie requires it a bit more than the first two examples. See the post wondering why the Tate scenes were even in the film.

As for the Hitler thing, if someone doesn’t know that then they have bigger problems than enjoying a movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

cardedagain posted:

as far as the Tate scenes and "knowing Polanski was a rapist", did anyone in 1969 know he was? i don't know much of the history except some people were murdered thanks to Manson, and Axl Rose wearing a "Charlie Dont Surf" shirt in the 90s, and didn't Trent Reznor record "the downward spiral" at Polanski's crib?

Nah all that poo poo went down after the murders.

LanceHunter posted:

Like, if it were possible to make everyone listen to the entire 10-part You Must Remember This series on Charles Manson’s Hollywood...

Yeah if anyone wants to learn more about the events that’s a good way to do it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Equeen posted:

I think what's left out of the discourse is that the manson family were literally trying to start a race war.

Yeah I was going to say if you took them at their word they could be seen as as bad as Nazis. Also Manson himself committed rape , statutory and otherwise, multiple times. It’s disingenuous to equate the Manson family with all hippies.

Of course, you probably shouldn’t take a bunch of people out of their mind on acid and belladonna root at their word, and there’s plenty of fault to find in QT’s portrayal of women in general. Many sides, many sides.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I wonder if some people were geared up to hate this movie because they expected it to depict the murders as they occurred but in an exploitative way and are grasping at straws now. I can’t think of any other reason why people would be angry that the movie vilified the loving Manson family.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

"Hippies" is being super reductive about who they were and as far as I'm concerned isn't even accurate. Rick calls them that cause he's a prick and doesn't know any better, but calling them that in your "woke" criticism of the movie is dead wrong. They were a white supremacist cult who killed half a dozen people, including a pregnant woman, in order to start a race war. gently caress the Manson family and anyone who's defending them in their hot take on this movie in any way.

I guess that’s a risk you run when you rage against the morality of something without any cultural context.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 30, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Well he did say his Star Trek script wasn’t like any other scifi movie ever so I assume it’s just 2.5 hours of Kirk saying the n word.

edit: I’d still rather watch that than watch Into Darkness again.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 31, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The only thing about Lee’s scene that rang untrue to me was him saying he’d make Ali a cripple, everything else sounded like interviews he did. My theater laughed at it but only at the sounds he made while fighting, which was also something Bruce Lee just did.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

wait so y'all thought Lee's little speech before the fight was totally legit cool and badass, and not intentionally cringey?

fascinating

I think it sounded like Bruce Lee, with the exception of the making Ali a cripple line

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

All of the fake posters are great. I’m bummed we didn’t hear about this giallo during the Italy sequence

Dario Fulci

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

While the actress was fantastic, I found it weird that they casted an Asian for one of the Manson killers being that they were white supremacists.

I only recognize her from that Pamela Adlon show, where I guess she’s also playing a white person. I think she was just cast because she looks similar to Sadie Adkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

When someone slashes your tires, please call the cops and do not smash their teeth out of their face

Cliff is someone the audience roots for because he seems like a laid back dude who is good to his friends and when he is shown doing violent things he is doing them to monsters, but that doesn't mean he is just a regular well adjusted guy. Mentally healthy people don't smash someone's skill into a hollow shell full of face/brain pulp, even if that person is very bad and deserved it

Nah, I wanna smash their friggen teeths out like BAM! Then I would stomp their heads and watch their friggen BRAINS EXPLODE!