Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

must have been changed from the cannes screening, or the person who told me was themselves working off secondhand info

There were a whole bunch of fake spoilers going around. I was bummed cuz I accidentally read some other spoilers about the ending but they turned out to be completely untrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cacator posted:

The Bruce Lee actor was spot on.

There's an entire cottage industry of Bruce Lee impersonators, always a fun thing to throw in your movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Apparently it’s just Rick Dalton doing an ad for Red Apple cigarettes

Correct. They also play some vintage radio ads and stuff over the rest of the credits which is pretty fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

I feel like the pacing was fine unless all you watch is marvel movies.

I dunno, the stuff with Leo’s bad guy western dragged on a bit and the Sharon Tate stuff didn’t feel all that well integrated into the movie at all.

Better paced than Hateful Eight though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the entire Tate-at-the-movies scenes were a direct emotional parallel of the Dalton on the Western set scenes. They were both exploring a performer’s desire for approval, the peril that is felt when that approval is lacking, and the elation when that approval is received.

Maybe not a coincidence that those were the two big scenes I thought went on too long then

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

xrunner posted:

Also - Brad Pitt’s wife is supposed to be a wink to Natalie Wood, right? Or am I overthinking it?

I got that vibe too, not necessarily that it was a nod to her specifically but that it was a nod to that type of Hollywood scandal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

There will always be the people who are super into serial killers and true crime poo poo and will know about Manson.

If anything, True Crime has really been having a moment over the past few years, I'm genuinely surprised how many people in the thread knew next to nothing about Manson too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Equeen posted:

I think what's left out of the discourse is that the manson family were literally trying to start a race war.

yeah and that's something that feels like it gets left out of a lot of discussion about Manson. The Helter Skelter prophecy was basically The Turner Diaries.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This was before my time so I'm genuinely curious, why would the fanboyism end with a movie that is easily in the top 3 of anything he's done?

If it was before your time you probably don’t know this, but reception to Jackie Brown was decidedly more muted than Tarantino’s first two movies when it came out. It turned a tidy profit, but domestically it grossed about 40 million compared to Pulp Fiction’s 100+ million, and critics generally liked it but were not over the moon for it. There’s a reason the gap between Jackie Brown and Kill Bill was the longest between films in Tarantino’s career. It’s a fairly common take now, but if you were to say Jackie Brown was Tarantino’s best movie fifteen years ago, you’d be accused of extreme contrarianism.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

For sure, but I think to say QT fanboyism ended there is a misnomer. It reignited with a vengeance after Kill Bill.

Oh yeah I agree with that part, he’s still the Intro to Being a Film Dork class

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

Honestly, I kind of think that it's because it has a black woman lead. I can't really see any justifiable reason it wasn't as popular as Pulp Fiction, it's probably one of my favourite movies by him and it's crazy how little people know about it.

That could certainly be part of it, i always credited it to it being by far his least violent movie. It was also the first time he played around with a deliberately slow pace, the film where the characters feel most like real people and least like Tarantino characters (probably the Leonard influence creeping in), and the only time he directly adapted someone else's material.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Huh, that's genuinely interesting. Now I gotta look up some contemporary reviews and see what the hell people were thinking. I guess tonally it's a little out of step with his first two but the pacing is crazy good and the dialogue is some of the best he's ever done.

Ebert definitely loved it at least, his review of it is really good.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 1, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

All of the fake posters are great. I’m bummed we didn’t hear about this giallo during the Italy sequence

MacheteZombie posted:

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I want this poster framed and up against my ceiling asap.

I hate to break it to you guys but its just an ugly version of the New York Ripper poster

Was it even made for the movie? it looks fan made and i don't think Tarantino would stoop to "Dario Fulci" as a gag

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Kill Bill counts as one movie. Tarantino was pretty open about how upset he was he had to cut it down to two.

I still think that’s kind of a work on Tarantino’s part, especially considering that the movie Kill Bill is most aping, Lady Snowblood, is also a two-parter

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

It's cool that Tarantino made a nearly 3 hour long movie about aging, transition, the power of film, death and afterlife, the business of Hollywood, and we're still loving talking about whether or not the real Bruce Lee ever bragged about winning a fight with Ali.

Can we finally talk about how bad the little girl scene is

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unmature posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you

I cannot abide Wise, Precocious Children

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Some actor is credited as Charles Manson but I don't recall any scene with him and his face on google does not ring a bell. When does he appear? Was that a cut scene?

He was the weirdo snooping around the Polanski place that looked like Charles Manson

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

beanieson posted:

You should absolutely watch reservoir dogs, pulp fiction and Jackie brown

possibly hot take but he still hasn't topped these three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

When someone slashes your tires, please call the cops and do not smash their teeth out of their face

Counterpoint: only trust your fists, police will never help you