Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I think it was meant to show that Dalton wasn’t interested in the conversation and won’t remember it. He doesn’t even put his book down. Contrast to him speaking to the girl and getting useful acting advice that he follows.

I liked the movie a lot. Great story, leads, ending, definitely my favorite of the year.

Two quick questions:
-While in the car, I think Booth said that he’d never been in jail. But then later he says he was on a Houston chain gang for two weeks?

-Was Rick actually cast in Great Escape, then got replaced during shooting? Or was he just imagining how he would have played the scene?

The simplest answer to question one was that he recognized the situation he was in and lying to tell them what they wanted to hear. He saw her behavior with the cops who drove by earlier, and was able to clock poo poo was weird, so he told a story to make himself seem like one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

The juxtaposition of Rick shooting Lancer to Cliff going to the Spahn Ranch (and both being shot like a TV western?) *kisses fingertips*

The best part is that the acting on the Rick side is all powerful and naturalistic while all the stuff at the ranch is stilted and other worldly. Basically the style of acting you would actually see in a TV Western as opposed to what Rick is doing.

By the way, "He said he was the devil and uh... He was here to do some devil poo poo." is maybe the funniest thing Tarantino has ever written.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

Bruce Lee: they painted him as a whiny bitch, claiming his superiority in front of the white main character, and claiming he wasn't beaten with a standard "oh I would have won if" kinda thing. That bothered me too. QT painted it the way he would have if Bruce Lee was an embarassing person to have around.

Bruce Lee when he was young, by all accounts, was a cocky rear end in a top hat. Also important to the scene: they agree to a friendly competition just trying to knock the other down and Cliff doesn't follow that, punching him square in the face. Bruce clearly wasn't going all out, and the one hit Cliff gets in was because he goads Lee into telegraphing his move, too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

No idea if this was intentional or not but her character leaving was the moment I realized the next few minutes would not be a telling of actual events, or even close to it. It broke the suspense for me, but in a weird way I liked it. After that I just let myself relax and enjoy the ride.

It's actually based on a real event. One of the girls who went did forget her knife. But Tex told her they'd just use a kitchen knife from the house. So it's the first real part of divergence and where, if you know the events, you should realize something is up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

Holy poo poo, every bit of this is insane. Such attention to detail, so much work for shots that last maybe 30 seconds.

The production still from the FBI sequence highlights the one big issue I could never get over - all of the "TV" stuff just looked too drat good for the era. The camera moved a lot and individual shots had personality and thought put into them, instead of simply pointing at the action and letting it roll. I did not realize that some of that FBI footage was taken from a real episode (With Burt Reynolds in the Rick Dalton role, no less!) I'd love to see the real thing and compare, maybe I'm being too hard on classic TV.

No you're right. But that's the point. He's glorifying that era of TV and doing his idealized, loving version of it. Not how it really was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

I've been going back and forth on OUAT and enjoying the discussion in this thread a lot. However, I've also been following some interesting discussions on Twitter regarding the film and this one caught my eye:

spoilers:

Obviously YMMV as to whether you feel like that's a persuasive reading, but I do find it compelling to think about how this is Tarantino's first post-Weinstein, post-MeToo film and it's kind of about how loving coooool Hollywood is. The only important women in it are either Angelic Others (Tate, the Precocious Girl) who exist to validate or assist the male protagonist or else Murderous Tricksters. Cliff maybe murdering is bitch of a wife is one of the funniest running gags in the film, and the film is having its most fun when two of the Manson Family women are brutally tortured to death.

Apart from analyzing the film, it does raise some interesting questions about QT's state of mind as women all over Hollywood are making trouble for his friends and taking some of the power back.

The Manson family: just some hippies who don't deserve the same treatment as literal Nazis.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There was not a single nazi in Germany that didn't spend their days high out of their loving mind by the end of the war. They literally handed out meth like candy.

I don't accept the Nuremberg defense for either group. Yes they were both indoctrinated and yes they were both following orders from someone else. But at a certain point I don't care. And the point is well before stabbing a pregnant woman 16 times.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm not defending either one, just pointing out that "drugged out gently caress ups" is a fairly perfect descriptor for the OG Nazis.

Oh I know. Sorry for the confusion. More an addendum to your statement than an argument.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I wonder if some people were geared up to hate this movie because they expected it to depict the murders as they occurred but in an exploitative way and are grasping at straws now. I can’t think of any other reason why people would be angry that the movie vilified the loving Manson family.

"Hippies" is being super reductive about who they were and as far as I'm concerned isn't even accurate. Rick calls them that cause he's a prick and doesn't know any better, but calling them that in your "woke" criticism of the movie is dead wrong. They were a white supremacist cult who killed half a dozen people, including a pregnant woman, in order to start a race war. gently caress the Manson family and anyone who's defending them in their hot take on this movie in any way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hey hey hey let's get our facts straight.

They killed a half a dozen people to enslave black people after the race war and live as god-king/queens.

poo poo your right. I forgot their core belief that black people would be too stupid to run society so they would beg them, the unwashed desert cult, to rule over them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

As soon as that piece was published Thurman made a public statement thanking Tarantino for helping with her lawsuit and releasing the crash footage, and basically was making it clear that this wasn’t about him. I really think the writer leapt to conclusions.

I mean it’s Maureen Dowd.

Didn't they also start dating not long after?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Where was Luke Perry and his son Jungle Boy?

Jungle Boy should have played Manson.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Unmature posted:

There is nothing wrong with their post

Austin Powers is rancid bullshit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/zodiac_mf/status/1156382244669444098?s=21

Holy poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

It was the real Sharon Tate

Really?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Well that got a bit personal. This thread is truly something awful.

You projected that last part. I'm genuinely interested in defenses of the movie. But I also don't need people explaining to me the movie like I don't "get it" either, which wasn't necessarily you.

You literally started this conversation by saying you think most people who like the movie are lying to themselves. Beyond just going "ok" at you, there's zero reason to engage with you on this topic. This will be the only time I do it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo. I for sure thought they put her in there digitally. Wow.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Thats far from a direct quote of what I said.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WarEternal posted:

The person you replied to is definitely being too hard on old TV, as they put it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZODIAC_MF/status/1156382244669444098

Columbo is better than most of anything on TV today. I'm more familiar with 70s shows than the 60s. People act like all old TV is garbage, far from it.

Speaking of, Cliff's trailer interior looked a lot like what I recall the interior of Jim Rockford's trailer looking like.

I thought he was referring to the stuff where we were seeing Rick act. Which is definitely stylized.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The funniest thing about "I am the devil and I'm here to do the devil's work," is that you're basically saying "I'm the devil. This is my day job."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Being paid to get into shape must be great.

According to Rob McElhenny it still sucks rear end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

Looking forward to the alt history movie where a plane full of Epstein's buddies gets brutally murdered.

I don't think Quentin had any connection with Epstein though. And that's 100% not what Weinstein did.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Serious Party Gods posted:

The nice part about seeing it a 2nd time is that you can skip the pumpkin puss/sharon tate theater scene and go have a smoke.

That segment is great what's wrong with you?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Where did you read this?

He didn't. He's conflating two stories. Tate's sister was on set, is thanked in the credits, and has gone on record saying she literally cried the first time she saw Robbie in character because it was like seeing her sister again.

One of Tate's "friends" that I've never heard of, who also in the same article insists she was SUPPOSED to be in the house that night, but turned down going to dinner, said the "she'd never see her own movie" thing and hated the movie. If she even actually saw the fuckin' thing. She seems like a fame chaser to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress double post.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

I still think it was a fantasy playing out in Cliff's head and it just got more and more silly as it went on, sort of like Bunuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie with scenes getting progressively more absurd until it turns out to be a dream.

It's 100% an event that happened cause it's why the guy from Green Hornet doesn't want Cliff on set for Lancer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

I saw this movie today after my mother in law dragged us to see a random matinée. After I skipped Hateful Eight and never felt like I was missing anything, I was prepared to not like this movie at all. I honestly considered myself done with Tarantino entirely, but when the movie turns in the last 15 minutes, the word "brilliant" kept echoing in my head. That's obviously an overstatement, but the entire thing is so subversive and clever that I was really pleased.

I'm not quite sure how to resolve the conflict I feel about the Manson kids though... I mean Booth is straight up a bad person, and Dalton is kind of a shithead. The Manson Kids are also mostly right in their reasoning and understanding of the world, and they are also in a cult. When that stuff is taken against the gratuity of their violent ends... I don't know, it feels almost critical of Booth, Dalton, and society. Maybe I am alone in sympathizing with them.

Lots of really clever decisions in that movie.

The Manson family were literal white supremacist Nazis. If you're sympathising with them maybe you need to do some introspection.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Haven't read the whole thread and just saw the film. I really enjoyed and think Leo should get an Oscar nod. What a loving great movie. Between this, the Irishman and Mindhunter it's been a good month of movies and TV for me.

Two weird things though. I don't think you can dip a cigarette in acid and then smoke it to trip. I know you can do that with PCP but I didn't think you could smoke LSD.

And for some reason the flamethrower attack on Sadie in the pool was making me wonder why she never attempted to go under water and put the fire out. I just wrote it off as her wanting to die at that point but the choice of a flamethrower to use on some one who's soaking wet and in a pool seemed funny to me.

She was blind and incredibly panicked. Also I'm pretty sure even in a pool a flame thrower would basically boil you alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

beanieson posted:

he killed her

He didn't kill her, and misses her, so he orders her drink.