Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

jwnin posted:

I don't know, "Oh my god, is everyone okay?” “Well the loving hippies ain’t.”" is right up there with it.

Nope, the best joke was definitely the guy asking Cliff "How's the wife?" when they're at the mexican restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Cliff wasn’t asked about his wife, the diner was. It’s an old joke when you see someone with a new girlfriend to embarrass them.

Are you sure? I thought it was the guy asking him, cause he followed it up with something like "...oops, sorry".

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Anyone who is looking for something to cover the manson movies in a stylized way wouldn't do too bad to watch Aquarius, it's on Canadian netflix at least and it's a pretty good show, shows both Manson and David Duchovny as a police detective who gets entangled with him, as well as interactions with the Black Panthers. It's a pretty entertaining show, and it sticks to the real history close enough that I was filled with a great trepidation whilst watching this film.

As for that joke at the Mexican restaurant, unless I am proved wrong with a clip or the script, I'm going to think it's my way, since it's way funnier and I'm not sure if someone who killed their wife would go to a wife joke with a friend, whereas a friend would totally make that joke if he knew him well enough and enough time had passed.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Honestly, I kind of think that it's because it has a black woman lead. I can't really see any justifiable reason it wasn't as popular as Pulp Fiction, it's probably one of my favourite movies by him and it's crazy how little people know about it.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ebert definitely loved it at least, his review of it is really good.

Yeah, it is great. Just looked it up. Too bad we can't get his opinion about this movie.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/jackie-brown-1997

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Yeah, I don't really see that fight as Bruce Lee losing. It's obviously establishing Cliff as a good fighter, with the reference being made to that. But the fight itself? Bruce Lee just owns Cliff right off the bell. Then Cliff goads him into making the exact same move, which he's now prepared to counteract. Then they start actually fighting and it's a tie.
I mean, it ends 1-1. That's not Bruce Lee getting his rear end kicked like some people (not necessarily you good people) keep saying.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Lol, beating someone is never justified in a series of movies where the villains are slave-owners, nazis and the manson family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I think it was established she was blinded, so I assumed the flailing around was because she was in pain and reacting violently.