Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ibexaz posted:

Weird that the New Beverly isn't showing it in 70mm like the Alamo or Arclight theaters in SF and LA.

It was shot in 35mm, I believe

King Vidiot posted:

I just hope Tarantino goes full alternate reality a la Inglourious Basterds and we get Leo and Brad teaming up with Bruce Lee to kick the Manson Family's rear end.

Also I have to assume that (spoilered for people who might've missed it in the trailer) Kurt Russell is reprising his role as Stuntman Mike.

Considering his age, more likely his brother, Stuntman Bob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

stratofarius posted:

Uh, no. This does not happen. You can click on it, it literally does not happen.

As someone who hates spoilers but has very poor impulse control: nice

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Pitt’s performance after smoking the acid cigarette was particularly fun. And I like how at the end, he gets to fulfill his role of stunt man by doing all the dangerous fighting and getting injured while Leo gets to look good with the flamethrowers, saving the day but not actually doing that much.

Also, Tarantino taking the risky stance that having sex with underaged girls is a bad thing :lol:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The feet in this movie were all really gross and dirty, which I wonder if that’s for accuracy or if Tarantino is just naysty

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

General Dog posted:

Noticed that, although that was the Eli Roth one, who died I believe.

Yeah, Pitt was Gorelammy

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cacator posted:

I thought this was QT's most stylistically restrained yet thematically indulgent movie, if that makes sense. The length and pacing weren't issues for me, he's much more interested in immersing you in the 60s and most his cinematic flourishes are contained within the movies shown in the film instead of the overall film itself (with some exceptions, I don't think he can help himself). The Bruce Lee actor was spot on.

I left as the credits rolled but apparently there were post credit sequences, can someone describe??

Apparently it’s just Rick Dalton doing an ad for Red Apple cigarettes

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I forgot my favorite part: Rick Dalton on the cover of Mad Magazine

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I had a funny feeling this was going to happen from watching the trailer, and as silly as it sounds, it's the kind of thing that can turn me off from seeing it.

Is this movie going to piss me off if I really like Bruce Lee? The fact that apparently people were cheering is a good sign, but I haven't read any other spoilers but this one.

It’s implied to be a sensationalized memory rather than straight fact but it’s never declaratively stated

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ElectricSheep posted:

Bonus factoid- Squeaky Fromme (the redhead played by Dakota Fanning) was called "Squeaky" by George because of the noise she'd make when he touched her

then she tried and utterly failed to shoot Gerald Ford six years later

Yeah, that was actually almost as funny as that one Brad Pitt line

quote:

While Fromme pointed the gun at Ford, several people heard a "metallic click" sound.[6] As the red-robed Fromme shouted, "It wouldn't go off",[8] Secret Service agent Larry Buendorf grabbed the gun, forced it from Fromme's hand, and brought her to the ground.[2] On the ground, Fromme said, "It didn't go off. Can you believe it? It didn't go off".[8]

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
At the very least I think Uma was involved in the writing and craft of the story, considering it’s credited to Q & U

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Since we're already on an alternate history streak with this movie anyway, the first thing we see Cliff drinking is a big bloody mary with an entire celery stalk in it. The same thing his late wife was drinking in the boat flashback. It could mean that he has a bit of a sardonic streak, or maybe that she was jealous and wouldn't let him have the same thing she liked or what have you, but he still keeps a photo of her in his trailer and with the exception of pulping the family he really does seem to keep his composure and positive attitude together. Maybe he really does miss her? Maybe, if we're already accepting that this movie is all wishful thinking anyway, this murder really was a terrible accident?

There’s also the third option: he was drunk as gently caress and even he doesn’t remember

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Well I mean don’t forget the other elephant in the room
https://twitter.com/chunk_widebody/status/1159831195577913344?s=21

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Goddamn it, the Tarantino edit of You Keep Me Hanging On with the excellent intro isn't available to stream and you have to buy the whole album for it. gently caress that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I almost expected something to happen at the end where there would be a reason for Polanski to be coming home early, only for him to catch a stray bullet and probably saving his future victims

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Steve McQueen definitely gives a “cool tough guy” performance. I wonder if there was ever a scene where he meets Rick Dalton, considering the whole drama over The Great Escape, which I think should be the bigger “memory or imagination” question

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One little gag I noticed on a rewatch: in the Spahn ranch scene, there’s an ominous musical sting when Cliff walks past the girl with the black hair and “little white face.”

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ardent Communist posted:

I think it was established she was blinded, so I assumed the flailing around was because she was in pain and reacting violently.

It reminded me of when Elle gets her other eye plucked out in Kill Bill

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tibalt posted:

What about my "it's actually a very elaborate play" interpretations?

Ah yes, the Super Mario Bros 3 defense

We might as well just say their plane home went down

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Chappers posted:

Bruce Lee and Cliff looked like two adult boys caught by their mom roughhousing at the end of the fight. Or is that just me? To the point that I could picture Lee asking Cliff, "You wanna go play video games?" or whatever the 1960s equivalent of that would be. (Ordering a pizza and a six-pack and watching "FBI")

It was almost like Cliff was reminiscing about the time he almost became Bruce Lee's buddy, in some masculine-driven, exaggerated-memory, male bonding thing.

Also, I thought the sound design for the movie was great. Even the rustle of the wind and general on-set noises in the background.

I like that take on it. It helps that at no point does Cliff seem upset about it, he seems to take the whole thing in good humor.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

God Hole posted:

anyone else get major The Thing vibes from that one manson girl during the big fight at the end? from the way she shoots up to a standing position, to how the blood covers her face, the way she moves her hands in the air like wild flailing tentacles, to her big death by flamethrower. the way they're shot are almost identicle.

between this and the hateful eight, I'm beginning to think quentin is a fan

I got more a vibe of Elle Driver after having her second eye plucked out , just screaming and shouting and flailing and fighting

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I really want to see Tom Cruise in a Tarantino film.

We have one chance left, possibly.

I kinda doubt that would happen, Tom Cruise hasn’t been in a movie without a significant amount of control since like Topic Thunder? Besides, based on his feelings about the Mansion Family I can’t imagine Tarantino’s overly fond of Scientology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I mean... I don’t know if this counts but it fits with your theory of traditional masculinity turning into homoeroticism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1LXL6OOsM