Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Much of how I feel has already been said. I left feeling like this didn't work as a whole, but contained an ample amount of individual amazing scenes that still made it very entertaining and worth watching. Definite pacing and editing issues, but whoever said that Tarantino gets the pacing of individual scenes perfect was spot-on. I wasn't sold on the ending with Sharon Tate not dying but after reading this thread I now understand the intentions of celebrating her life rather than reducing her memory down to her murder.

That said, once it became clear that this was another revenge fantasy and not historically accurate, I've got to say I would not have minded the ending my mind went to once the Manson kids broke into Rick's house instead of Sharon's. I didn't realize we were at the end of the film's running time and I pictured Cliff and maybe Rick seeking revenge by storming the Spahn Ranch and taking out Charles and the rest in an epic, classic Tarantino western-style showdown. Maybe that's silly and dumb, but the relatively brief fight, although brutal and awesome, didn't feel like a strong enough climax to me. But I also understand that this was QT's intentionally most restrained film for numerous reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think this film does not work if you don't at least know the gist of Charles Manson and the Manson family, and that they killed Sharon Tate. Even in the beginning of the movie, for some reason I was thinking that Sharon Tate became a member of the Manson family and committed a murder. It was only after a few of her scenes where I remembered "oh wait, no, she was murdered. Right."