Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Goddamn this was good. Complain if you must about the pace of the film overall, but Tarantino is the absolute master of pacing individual scenes. The moment in the climax when Pitt's character signals the dog and poo poo IS ON is tension-release on goddamned supernatural level.

KidDynamite posted:

drat kind of wish I had gone in blind because the trailer I saw didn't show any of the Manson stuff. Would have been a real shock. I thought it was Tarantino doing Oscar bait by making an "old hollywood" movie.

I re-listened to the entire You Must Remember This season about the Manson murders in anticipation of this, and I if you can do the same I highly recommend it. The more you know about the history, the more compelling the whole movie is. Being able to take the "I'm the devil here to do the devil's work" line Tex Watson says that he actually said during the real murder and calling it out for being some hack bullshit was splendid.

BiggerBoat posted:

Will there be feet in this movie?

Tarantino knows that we all know about his foot thing, and at this point he's just trolling us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

R. Guyovich posted:

must have been changed from the cannes screening, or the person who told me was themselves working off secondhand info

They were very likely going off second-hand information. Tate does have a brief flashback to getting trained by Bruce Lee, but it was in a scene completely un-related to the murders and was apparently something that actually happened in real life.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, the stuff with Leo’s bad guy western dragged on a bit and the Sharon Tate stuff didn’t feel all that well integrated into the movie at all.

I mean, the entire Tate-at-the-movies scenes were a direct emotional parallel of the Dalton on the Western set scenes. They were both exploring a performer’s desire for approval, the peril that is felt when that approval is lacking, and the elation when that approval is received.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cacator posted:

A sight gag I thought was funny that I haven't seen anyone else mention: The cans of dog food are rat and raccoon flavoured

I couldn’t tell if that was a bit or some weird thing that actually existed that Tarantino was referencing.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 26, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KidDynamite posted:

Hot drat I really loved this film. I was just enthralled by the atmosphere and friendship. I really enjoyed the scenes of Cliff driving through Hollywood. Good stuff there.

I think Timeless Appeal has the gist of it Hollywood was always doomed. Rick was just anxiety ridden I don't think his alcoholism was really affecting his acting skills. Also sort of unsure about Cliff killing his wife. His violent responses seemed very controlled and it doesn't seem like he would lose that control just because his wife was yelling at him.

I have to disagree with the idea that the movie is saying Hollywood was always doomed. Polanski and Manson do both linger in the film's background, but if the Tate murders never happened both of them would have been robbed of a lot of their power to do bad. Manson and his group probably would have probably killed more people but they wouldn't have become a cultural landmark. Tate and Polanski would have divorced eventually (the fact that Jay Sebring gets double the screen time of Polanski is noteworthy). When Polanski eventually got caught doing some horrific poo poo he wouldn't have a lot of the sympathy he received during his real arrest because he was Tate's widower.

Big Bizness posted:

One thing I was wondering during the end:
I'm curious to know of Tarantino's intent during some of the scene of the Manson people getting their asses handed to them. The tension has been slowly building for most of the movie and we are increasingly dreading the possibility that this film is going to end historically accurately. And wondering will it be as bloody / gory as some of Tarantino's other work? But then the tables are cathartically turned, and the Manson hippies just get absolutely savaged. But it keeps going and going, the dog chewing the guys nuts just completely off, the girl screaming as Cliff is brutally smashing her head over and over again, bursting through the glass, and her open wounds burning with chlorine, etc. We as an audience have been dreading the violence towards the innocent, but instead it is dished out on the hippies, and justifiably so considering their intentions (and what happened in real life). But the level it goes to makes me feel like there is some kind of statement being made on audience bloodlust, how we can be disgusted by graphic violence in one context yet applaud it in another. Do you think it was supposed to be 100% cathartic? Rick getting out the flamethrower was undoubtedly insanely funny in any case.

I don't think it was trying to comment on audience bloodlust. It was primarily going for catharsis, but another part of it was a "shoot Hitler in the face" level of giving the middle finger to historical assholes. The Manson murderers didn't just get killed, they got humiliated. Because gently caress them.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two quick questions:
-While in the car, I think Booth said that he’d never been in jail. But then later he says he was on a Houston chain gang for two weeks?

-Was Rick actually cast in Great Escape, then got replaced during shooting? Or was he just imagining how he would have played the scene?

- I believe Booth was referring to some stunt/film work in Houston. Didn’t he then say something like “hardest set I ever struck” or something.

- It definitely felt like him imagining what he could have done in the role and how it would have been his breakout. To kinda highlight how all the talk about how close he was or wasn’t to getting cast still kinda stung.

KidDynamite posted:

Hm that's a good argument. I don't even think anymore Manson murders happen in this universe since Cliff recognized them coming from the ranch. So he would probably give those details to police. But Old Hollywood is dead even with everything working out. Look at Steve McQueen "you're right I never had a chance"

Well, I think the film posits Old Hollywood transitioning rather than dying. The time of the Rick Daltons and Steve McQueens is winding down, but they can still have places in the New Hollywood that is to come. Hell, this is kinda what Tarantino has been saying through his whole career with his casting of actors who had been considered washed up.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 27, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Vince MechMahon posted:

By the way, "He said he was the devil and uh... He was here to do some devil poo poo." is maybe the funniest thing Tarantino has ever written.

Definitely, especially if you know the real history.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I had a funny feeling this was going to happen from watching the trailer, and as silly as it sounds, it's the kind of thing that can turn me off from seeing it.

Is this movie going to piss me off if I really like Bruce Lee? The fact that apparently people were cheering is a good sign, but I haven't read any other spoilers but this one.

I mean, Cliff doesn't really beat Bruce Lee. Lee gets in a good shot because Cliff underestimated him, and then Cliff gets in a good shot because Lee underestimates him. Then they are pretty evenly matched. I don't think the portrayal of Lee was cartoony, more that it showed him from the perspective that a lot of stunt men probably see a lot of show leads.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 28, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

General Dog posted:

The movie has a reactionary streak to it that I found pretty refreshing.

I mean, it's hard to do an honest portrayal of hippies that doesn't come off as at least a bit reactionary.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Philthy posted:

I think you knew up front with those, however. Or I was just being kind of blind with this. I knew it was a biopic of sorts, and I was honestly just happy to take a field trip through this time period. I was familiar with the entire history beforehand, it's just I had no idea he was going that route ahead of time. It already paid for itself well before the ending.

I think the way he stuck to being super-historically accurate in the beginning (Charles Manson’s visit to the Polanski residence was basically word-for-word how that visit actually happened) brought some ambiguity on if it was going to stick to the real history or not.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

cardedagain posted:

okay, so i just finished my second screening, and i noticed that the two different [Alamo] theaters i saw this at played totally different retro trailers right before the "Sony" logo when the actual movie starts, with the Bounty Law promo reel.

the first screening i saw showed a trailer for Night Of The Grizzly
https://youtu.be/O7_kmVai8bo
and something else

my second screening i saw a trailer for a Dirty Harry movie, and The Man From Hong Kong.

not sure if that was an Alamo thing or not, but I originally thought it was part of the film...

Definitely an Alamo thing. Saw it at an AMC (sadly not near an Alamo now) and there were only the terrible Sony trailers.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Drunkboxer posted:

Well I’d say this movie requires it a bit more than the first two examples. See the post wondering why the Tate scenes were even in the film.

Yeah, the more history you know the better it is. I already mentioned how Manson’s visit to the Polanski residence was almost word-for-word historically accurate, making it seem more likely Tarantino might be trying to keep to the real history. Or how the real-life Clem (the guy who knifed Cliff’s tire in the movie) actually killed a stuntman on Spahn ranch.

Like, if it were possible to make everyone listen to the entire 10-part You Must Remember This series on Charles Manson’s Hollywood...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Drunkboxer posted:

Nah all that poo poo went down after the murders.

Yeah, Polanski was a creep but there were a ton of creeps around Hollywood at the time. (Like, one way that Manson and his crew got so deep into the Hollywood scene was because he’d make the girls in his cult gently caress guys.) Turns our a steady diet of cocaine has a negative effect on one’s sense of morality.