Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

TheAardvark posted:

I think this will be his least popularly acclaimed movie from general audiences. I've seen all of his movies and this is the first time I heard actual complaints outside the theater. It just loses too much emotional impact if you aren't intimately familiar with 60s film and the Manson family.

I dunno, I liked it and I'm not intimately familiar with 60s cinema outside of the big ones (e.g. The Great Escape). Granted, the pacing was languid with a capital L but I got that very dreamlike feel from the idealization of everything and there was just some degree of comfort from that.

It felt like that feeling I get when I eat at this local steakhouse that has maintained its decor since the 50s; nostalgic, warm, antique but relatable and welcoming. When they go into Musso and Frank's it immediately hearkened back to that.

I think if you're not familiar with that kind of experience or have an interest in the rose-colored nostalgia Tarantino is clearly engaging in, I can see how the movie won't grab you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
Bonus factoid- Squeaky Fromme (the redhead played by Dakota Fanning) was called "Squeaky" by George because of the noise she'd make when he touched her

then she tried and utterly failed to shoot Gerald Ford six years later

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
uh I believe the green berets were established in the immediate aftermath of Hitler's assassination and subsequent early end of WW2

I mean, it's like nobody who writes this poo poo saw this movie for the fairy tale it was, existing in a world not quite dissimilar to our own, and took everything off of a surface read

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
he took their lives

also a crate

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I wouldn't say it was a parody or a cartoon version of Bruce Lee, but OUaT's version of Bruce Lee plays up the chop-socky tropes to impress the stuntmen gathered around him, complete with his famed vocalizations.

It's been a few weeks since I saw the movie but I'm pretty sure Lee drops the act as soon as Cliff throws him into a car and he realizes he's got a legitimate fight, at which point both men go at it to a stalemate. No more vocalizing, and the fight switches to an economy of movement on the part of both men - or at least, what we deem as an audience (and as martial arts laypeople) to be a demonstration of skill on the part of a man who can hold his own against Bruce Lee. The narrative rationale for this, and the analogy it serves to Rick Dalton's new role in Hollywood, is a discussion we've all had already anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Astro7x posted:

Just imagine how even fewer people are going to know about who Sharon Tate is 20 years from now when people that are not even born yet look back at Tarantino's collection of films as a whole. It will literally be the only movie you have to go into saying "You should probably read the Wikipedia entry on Sharon Tate before you watch it".

That's when the 20th Anniversary Edition is released with an additional scene spliced in during the Rome interlude: Margot Robbie with a champagne glass in a bubble bath casually yet succinctly explaining the history of Charles Manson, his cult, and the Tate house murders while comedic infographics help the audience to understand

directed by adam mckay