Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, that seemed weird to me. Here you have an excuse on a silver platter for why your kid being a gently caress up isn't in any way your fault. You'd think most of the estranged parents would love that. But for this lady that isn't enough, it must be the child's fault.

How are they supposed to perpetuate the idea that their child's negative behaviour towards them is only happening because the child is doing it on purpose specifically to hurt them (for NO REASON obviously), and that they're the real abuse victim here, if they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pyrotoad posted:

How are they supposed to perpetuate the idea that their child's negative behaviour towards them is only happening because the child is doing it on purpose specifically to hurt them (for NO REASON obviously), and that they're the real abuse victim here, if they do?

They could ask my mom.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Mom mentioned she sent her daughter to private religious school, which to me sounds like something bad (molestation, abuse) happened there that set off this clingyness that mom doesn't like and then her rebelling and especially feeling the need to always have a weapon to defend herself. The drugs and alcohol to self medicate her ptsd.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I get the feeling mom has basically disowned her and the daughter is only contacting her for basic things she needs, like her birth certificate and social security card, so she can get a job or her driver's license. I don't want to diminish anything the daughter's going through, but a lot of these parents embellish and heavily exaggerate their children's behavior and turn a night or two of smoking weed or drinking with friends into terrible, family-destroying addictions. The daughter could have legit drug issues, but I don't believe mom. I do think there is a legit disability or developmental issue of some sort going on that mom is trying to wallpaper over.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

even if she's not lying and the daughter is a bigtime addict, that mum is hosed

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I want to thank this thread for giving me the impetus to call my mom and have a brief chat yesterday instead of just texting that I was covering a couple classes and would be home late. She said it made her day, which was nice. Lord knows she's not perfect- she's incapable of admitting she's wrong sometimes, I have to push back against her trying to micromanage my life and friendship- but she's been great about listening and understanding how my anxiety can gently caress me up, for example. I'm also fairly sure she ultimately disagrees with my decision to make teaching my career, but she's never expressed that and has been fully supportive.

I'm surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned a quote I remember reading about respect somewhere- the idea that there are two kinds, respect for authority and respect for people, and that folks like cops, when they say "I'll respect you if you respect me" really mean "I won't treat you like a person unless you treat me as an authority. "

Which is, I think, ultimately what these parents want. To control their kids' lives and make all the decisions for them, and then be totally insulated from any consequences of their decisions. Like a lovely version of The Sims except with passive aggressive gifting and PTSD.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

I just returned from a wonderful overseas vacation with my two DDs. I really had a great time even though my DDs and I don’t see eye to eye on everything. More than a week together and there was only one time that I felt one of them made a hurtful comment to me. I told her something about the drama with her brother that came to me from his ex while abroad, and my DD said, “I’m going to be BLUNT. That is not a big deal.” Well, I saw her point and have felt many times nobody wants to hear about my drama (or non drama if that is how they see it) with ES (and that is one reason I sought forums such as this). Anyway, it did hurt but hopefully I did not show it. I see no reason why she needed to say it like that. She could have simply said it did not seem like a big deal to her and that would have been fine. But prefacing it with “I’m going to be blunt” made it hurtful.

But anyway, I had a great time and will treasure it forever. I guess I am posting more to update on the new me, regarding my ES. He had been calling me again (like he used to) on his way to work in the mornings. Now, I guess his phone is broken. He and his wife both have reasonably good jobs and should have enough money to pay for things like his phone (which with his responsibilities including co-parenting two kids, and busy life style he absolutely needs one).

But he has always been horrible with money and that issue is somewhere tangled up in the negative history where I have paid his bills and bailed him out of his irresponsibility, paid fines, lawyers, taxes and paid to get his utilities back on after he they got shut off (to the tune of about $45K over a four year period, all while he worked full time himself, but before he met this woman).

If his phone is broken, how is he calling on his way to work?

Also, saying that you are going to be blunt is hurtful. Gotcha.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

That70sHeidi posted:

Mom mentioned she sent her daughter to private religious school, which to me sounds like something bad (molestation, abuse) happened there that set off this clingyness that mom doesn't like and then her rebelling and especially feeling the need to always have a weapon to defend herself. The drugs and alcohol to self medicate her ptsd.
I must be missing something, because I didn't see any reference to the daughter having a disability. Maybe my eyes are glazing over too much trying to read all that. Anyway, my impression by the end of the first paragraph is that the daughter was sexually abused. All of those things are common behaviors for kids who've been seriously hurt in some way (I guess not necessarily sexual abuse, it's just so common).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I Want to Take My Ex to Court for Adopting a Dog With the Same Name as Our Kid

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

trickybiscuits posted:

If his phone is broken, how is he calling on his way to work?

Also, saying that you are going to be blunt is hurtful. Gotcha.

She’s upset he isn’t calling. So she’s being pithy. “His phone must be broken.”

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Holy crap, the seething resentment in this letter. Prudence is right that starting it by describing the ex's new wife as "whelping" three children is crazy and awful, but I can't get over her being upset that her daughter's stepmother texts her to ask basic co-parenting questions. "She's keeping me aware of what my kid wants and is asking for my permission and opinions, that WHORE"

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Someone's a loving rage filled lunatic who's being 'managed' in terms of everyone around her acknowledging she's mentally ill and taking it into account.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

quote:

When you refer to a human woman giving birth as “whelp[ing] out three babies,” you have lost perspective. While I’m sure that you love your daughter very much, and I don’t want to come down too hard on you, I’m not surprised that she loves going over to her father’s house. Your tooth-grinding misery, resentment, and hostility toward others absolutely radiated off your letter. I’d want to take a break from living with you, too. The texts you describe coming from your ex-husband’s new wife sound pretty innocuous. My guess is that she asks your permission about a lot of low-level things like buying skates because you have a history of flying off the handle when she does anything on Katy’s behalf without getting your approval first.
:drat: when did Dear Prudence columns start spitting the truth so hard? no wonder these clowns have to hide on their own forum.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The ex-husband peace outed and instantly achieved a happy, successful life that the daughter loves being a part of. This is a narcissist's worst nightmare. Not only is there no way to take credit for good things, to any reasonable observer it's her absence that is the key. And the daughter is smart enough to pick up on this.

Naturally, this success outside her sphere of influence has to be crushed. The ex-husband is outside her control, save for the fact that courts will always hear custody issues for a minor child. So obviously she's going to use the courts.

The kicker being that the ex-husband is smart enough to know exactly what she's done. They've got a policy/style manual or something to ensure their interactions with the narcissist are so utterly polite that she can't even omit details to make them seem offensive. This leaves her with nothing to go to court about to try to control the ex-husband and it's driving her to lunacy.

It's a how to guide on how to deal with a narcissist (if you have to). Be utterly polite, while at the same time not allowing the narcissist into your world except as is absolutely required.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Boywhiz88 posted:

She’s upset he isn’t calling. So she’s being pithy. “His phone must be broken.”
Ohhhh. I'm a dope.

Saint Drogo posted:

:drat: when did Dear Prudence columns start spitting the truth so hard? no wonder these clowns have to hide on their own forum.
[url=http://the-toast.net/2016/05/23/lord-byrons-to-a-lady/Daniel Mallory Ortberg[/url] took over.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There's a bunch of commenters super mad at him for being mean to that psycho and they're all impressively deranged

quote:

Daniel: I usually love the combination of pithiness and compassion in your advice, but I was disappointed in your response to LW1. Having read all the comments borderline bullying the LW, it is clear that I am in the minority here. The difference in perspective may be cultural: I know of women who committed suicide when their husbands took on actual second wives (polygamy), even in a country where polygamy is illegal but allowed by religious marriage. Invariably, the latter wife is significantly younger and "more fertile" ("wanting more children" is often given as the husband's reason for the relationship).

Here we are in the United States of America, clearly disavowing any association with such misogynistic cultures. What I see from the chorus of comments is that -- like much of Western civility -- our real feelings about such issues are only skin deep. How "evil" it must be for the LW to want for nothing more than simply complete dissociation from her ex-husband's present life, particularly his new wife and family. Even if the LW had been a loving wife and continues to be a loving mother, she certainly must deserve this punishment of constant reminder to why she just was not good enough for her husband to keep their marriage vows. The reality of divorce must be more "normal" and important than marriage itself.

What, effectively, is the difference between this LW's situation and that of a first wife in a marriage with a polygamous man? Obviously, she is "free" to date other people, certainly a big difference *unless* she actually cares so much about her daughter that she prefers not to subject the young girl to the presence of unknown men? Is it possible that her maternal instinct is precisely what keeps her from pursuing such relationships? Is it possible that the situation is not exactly symmetric to that of her husband's (in many more ways than this)?

I cannot imagine the pain of divorce when a child is involved. Divorce is infinitely easier when a new life was not shared between the separating parties. In that situation, you just go on with your respective lives, and nobody would expect any ex to continue any interaction with the other (it may be considered disrespectful to the present relationships to do so). But with a child and joint custody situation, this clean separation is completely screwed up.

The LW's husband decided to leave her and his young daughter except to see his daughter when she "comes over to his house" and possibly pay some child support. For all of the appalling comments on the relative "motherhoods" of the LW versus the new-wife, nobody seems to have much expectations regarding the fatherhood of the ex-husband -- though everybody seems on-board with his "rights" as the father of the girl despite his decision to leave and start a new family. If he happened to be a poor guy, we all know that he would not have any "rights" to his daughter whatsoever, but somehow his financial situation makes everything A-Ok for him (another lovely American mindset).

Nobody seems to question whether the LW had sacrificed better financial prospects for herself upon the birth of her daughter in order to be the best mother and wife that she could be. Nobody seems to wonder if such a sacrifice combined with her present financial dependence on her ex-husband's money are precisely what forms the basis of some of her resentment.

Nobody wonders if she is from a background in which no man wants to marry a divorced woman with a child. Nobody wonders what this means for this woman's original commitment to her original marriage -- that her "I do"s actually meant something real.

Everybody seems to buy that the new wife is 100% sincere in all her questions and concern, naively never picking up on the fact that the LW wants *minimum* contact with her. Why is *minimum* *only absolutely necessary* contact with the new wife not the right of the LW? Is it because the new wife has given birth to half-siblings of LW's daughter and for the sake of her daughter's extended family relationships?

Returning to my original sense about this whole situation: Then, if it is for the sake of such half-sibling relationships that the LW must continuously subject herself to painful interactions, wouldn't it be "better" if the man just remained married to both women simultaneously in one big house? Big happy family! How nice!

In 5-10 more years, he should even expand this beautiful happy family further by marrying a woman 18 years younger (18 years is not like 30 years people come on!!!) and making 5 more kids. I am sure that his gracious current wife would also love such an extension since she's such a wonderful person. And, the guy has $$$ right? They can do this. His $$$ and their babies, and the beautiful happy big combined family life. God bless America.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Ok. That's nuts as well.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

trickybiscuits posted:

Ohhhh. I'm a dope.

Daniel Mallory Ortberg took over.
Was going to come here to say this but I'll just fix your link. Danny Ortberg is a joy (yes, he's trans, for people who may have been familiar with him under his old name at The Toast). The former Toast editors remain the best people on the internet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

pookel posted:

Was going to come here to say this but I'll just fix your link. Danny Ortberg is a joy (yes, he's trans, for people who may have been familiar with him under his old name at The Toast). The former Toast editors remain the best people on the internet.
here's the link actually fixed: Daniel Mallory Ortberg

Here's the raw URL: http://the-toast.net/2016/05/23/lord-byrons-to-a-lady

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

pookel posted:

Thanks to both of you.

Some of the comments really are nuts. I've watched friends go through pretty rotten divorces and they didn't wind up as bitter and angry as this. I don't think they were a bitter and angry as this even when the divorces were going on.

quote:

So my ED husband came over last night, to collect a tree stump for firewood he said he would take months ago. After loading it on the truck I asked him how he thought the “issue” would be resolved with my ED.

He told me because my mother and brother have bi polar that my daughter believes I have it too. I said if I go to my dr and he says “I don’t have it, then what?” He didn’t know. I said “will she move the goal posts?” he said “yes.”

I asked if I could see my GC he said “no she is punishing you.”

After an hour he left saying he would talk to her and get back to me. I hope he doesn’t because he has confirmed that I have made the right decision to put ED out to pasture.

He told me they have bought a new house and are moving. He made a point of telling me when and where they were going, I suspect this is why he came over.
[quote]
Husband's just making things worse.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

She is not reporting that conversation accurately at all.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah that screams unreliable narrator.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

trickybiscuits posted:

Husband's just making things worse.

Is he though? It sounds like he's master manipulating the MiL to feel like she was the one who severed.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I suspect what he actually said was along the lines of "as long as you behave this way, she doesn't want you to have to contact with our child."

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
He sounds like a "family is everything" idiot going behind his wife's back. You know how hysterical women can be, so they need a clear-headed man to step in.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

those sound more like things she heard than things he said.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah. No one says literally "Yes I am moving the goal posts. We are doing this to punish you."

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clitch posted:

He sounds like a "family is everything" idiot going behind his wife's back. You know how hysterical women can be, so they need a clear-headed man to step in.

He sounds like another victim of an unreliable narrator with a grudge

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah. No one says literally "Yes I am moving the goal posts. We are doing this to punish you."

I dunno, I could see a man that has had to deal with a histrionic mother-in-law that twists everything into oppression Olympics rolling his eyes and sarcastically saying that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh lmao that's true. I'd never pour gas on a fire like that but I'd day dream about it

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dienes posted:

I dunno, I could see a man that has had to deal with a histrionic mother-in-law that twists everything into oppression Olympics rolling his eyes and sarcastically saying that.

I was home for Xmas break one year during college, and my dad (an eternal morning person) ran into me (someone who volunteers for night shifts) before I'd had my caffeine or Cheerios. He gave me a big hug and effusively told me how great it was to have me home, and I deadpanned, "Yeah, you just have me over to fix your computer."

An hour later, he's knocking on the door as I'm brushing my teeth, telling me how hurt he was that I thought he was so shallow, and I had to explain to my dad, who is both married to my mother and who raised me, both of us being queens of loving sarcasm, that it was a joke

Some people just aren't equipped to parse sarcasm.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh lmao that's true. I'd never pour gas on a fire like that but I'd day dream about it

Last time I did that with my mother in law, she spent about an hour the next day trying to talk my wife into divorcing me.

I'm close to the end of my tether these days, but the brief thrill of a good comeback just isn't worth it because someone willing to sink to any depth of melodrama will always win these dumb fights.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

As I was going through all of this I realized that my gd will be 16 on November 14. I have the feeling that I will probably be scheduled for surgery around that time. I wish to share with everyone the letter I wrote my gd. I also like to make my own cards. The card with the letter was delivered on October 17 (strangely I realized that this was my mom’s birthday). What I would give for one more moment with her. Here is the letter I wrote and needless to say I didn’t expect any acknowledgement but there was a part of me that was hoping. A simply text from her would have made my day with all that I am going through. You just can’t wrap your head around the depths of our EC cruelty.

Dear **********

How is it possible that you are 16! It only seems like yesterday that grandpa and I pulled up to your home on Mother’s Day 2008.Your dad was outside doing something with his car and there you stood in your front yard. I turned to grandpa and said, “Look at how big she’s gotten.” If I close my eyes, I can still envision you with your beautiful long curly hair and how the sun seemed to glisten on it. I got out of the car and you came toward me and said, “My name is **** and I am 4 years old.” I bent down and looked into your beautiful face and asked if it was alright with you if I gave you a hug. You nodded yes. I never wanted that hug to end. In my heart and grandpa’s heart dwells many precious memories. The little girl who was so “excited” each time we took her to American Girl. Guess what, ****! I was just as excited. If you remember I also loved dolls. The memory of that sweet child who always reached into her box of Milk Duds when we went to the movies and shared them with me because she knew I loved caramels too. The little girl who was so excited when she and grandpa baked a cake. I remember that little girl who said, “Nanny, how did you make such delicious meatballs.” I can close my eyes and remember every precious moment spent with that bubbly, funny, kind and sweet little girl who stole our hearts. ****, have you ever heard of the expression “Love at First Sight.”? Well it’s very true. It happened to grandpa and I on the morning you were born. When grandpa and I first saw you, I remember saying “She looks just like **** when he was born.” And you did ****, you were your dad’s clone. Well with that very first look, we feel deeply in love with that precious baby, our granddaughter. You were truly a gift from God. Although short lived, we enjoyed and looked forward to every moment we spent with you and Noah. We hold dear those memories in the pocket of our hearts. When you were a little girl and got your ears pierced, grandpa and I went out and bought you a pair of diamond earrings. I gave them to your mom for safekeeping and asked that she hold onto them and give them to you on your 16th Birthday. None of us are promised tomorrow and we wanted to make sure that just in case we were no longer on this earth, that you would have a gift from us on your special day. The posts are the screw on type so you will have to dip them in vaseline so they will easily slide into your pierced ears or you can always have the posts changed. I have no idea if they are your style or taste but, what I do know is that they were bought for you with great love. ****, we realize how confusing our situation must be for you, but we want you to know and to never doubt how much we love you and ****. Please never forget that! We hope that you will remember all the good times we had but most especially, that you remember the love. We will be there in spirit with you as you celebrate your 16th Birthday. Happy Sweet 16th Birthday.

Love, Nanny and Grandpa

How could this letter not touch ES and DIL hearts. Answer is they have no heart, they feel nothing.

Asking how this glurge couldn't touch somebody's heart is like force-feeding a person corn syrup and then accusing them of not having taste buds when they object.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 20, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

my father in law said some really stupid poo poo the last time we went out for breakfast about how the only medical care they have in mexico is witch doctors with bones in their noses. i snapped after 15 years of letting poo poo like that go and said that was racist and he got extremely defensive and i haven't seen nor spoken with him since- this was July 3 and i have been extremely happy with the outcome. that poo poo was fine to let roll off when i first met my wife but there's a 12 year old at the table, shithead, keep your stupid bullshit in check for one hour

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Notice how the little girl stories are about her paying attention to her granny. They aren't about how cute she was a child, they are about how they did things for the adult

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"We bought you some earrings you can't wear without discomfort or expense, but they were bought WITH LOVE so you'd better cherish them"

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
weaponizing a child's love and memories to get back at your kids who got tired of your bullshit, a totally normal thing to do

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I noticed last night that my aunt unfriended me on Facebook at some point. Guess she got sick of me leaving her mean and insulting messages on unread. I'd blocked her and the rest of my immediate family from seeing anything I post for the past half year anyway, because I was tired of being lectured on how lovely and lazy and stupid I am whenever I felt like complaining about a bad day or a setback to my recovery or whatever. I figured unfriending would just create all sorts of stupid drama so I just blocked them all, but if they want to remove me, hey by all means have at it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

I noticed last night that my aunt unfriended me on Facebook at some point. Guess she got sick of me leaving her mean and insulting messages on unread. I'd blocked her and the rest of my immediate family from seeing anything I post for the past half year anyway, because I was tired of being lectured on how lovely and lazy and stupid I am whenever I felt like complaining about a bad day or a setback to my recovery or whatever. I figured unfriending would just create all sorts of stupid drama so I just blocked them all, but if they want to remove me, hey by all means have at it.

I don’t know how Facebook works. Do people not know when they’ve been blocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you use Facebook's block feature it removes them as a friend, if you choose who your posts are visible too it does not.