Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

teen witch posted:

...With these threads on this forum, about 80% of the time, why their kids distances themselves from their parents is truly a mystery that their posts never go into why, funny that. Truly, estrangement happens in a vacuum...

It's the most American baby boomer thing I can think of, to seek an online community of other people ready to lie and represent their situations with grand omissions, in order to appear completely blameless in a situation entirely of their making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I find out yesterday that one of my best friends committed suicide, Saturday. I come into this thread just now and see it's turned from gawping at narcissist boomers blame-shifting to avoid personal accountability, to learning some really rough stories about fellow board members surviving those narcissist blame-shifting hosed up boomer parents.
This is a loving powerfully tough week.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

LadyPictureShow posted:

Sorry to hear about your friend. That was one of the final nails into the reason my dad and I are semi-estranged. Three years ago, I got word that my friend/former roommate had committed suicide.

I called my dad to talk about it, and after pleasantries, I finally told him what was going on. His only response was 'Oh no. *five second pause*. I was watching the Mets game earlier, and-'. I lasted maybe two more minutes in the convo, and made some lame-rear end excuse like I had to hit the bathroom and just cried the rest of the night, and had this, like, running mental checklist of the times he just completely blew off/ignored something traumatic/upsetting.

We'd been on a slow decline for nearly a decade, but him just absolutely giving no fucks that I called him in tears because a friend of mine jumped off a cliff was just like 'that's it'.

That's so weird. My kids are 7 and 14. The 7 yr old isn't really present enough yet that this event would impact him in any useful... or harmful way. My older son had enough situational awareness that he kind of hovered around me Monday doing little things for me like offering to make tea and stuff. I had actually already talked with him about depression about a week and a half earlier, because some local news about a teen suicide was going around that I know he heard of; he told me he had no idea what would compel someone to kill themselves, and that it seemed really selfish and dumb. My first reaction, internally, was relief, that it doesn't seem he's coping with depression himself. I talked with him for a bit though about making sure to have good sympathy for people in emotional states he may not ever understand because he can't directly acquaint or experience them himself. He replied to that saying he has spent some time talking with some of his friends that seem to be dealing with depression and cheering them up because he thinks it's the thing to do. I think he's going to be alright, really.
My whole point with that digression is that I think that's what parents should be doing. Talking, reassuring, teaching moral character. Hearing about parents being hollow, selfish, utterly disengaged shits that are incapable of holding on-tone conversations just horrifies me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

teen witch posted:

If basing your 7 yr old on your 14 yr old, you’ve got solid kids (seriously the tea thing warms my heart). Teaching emotionally engagement and how to read the room is something that parents should teach. Good grades and fancy schools can get you into Yale, but emotional intelligence can get you anywhere.

I feel that if you don't get anywhere at least you won't feel like an unloved basket case. That's at least what I want my kids eventually leaving my house with.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Distant Daughter, I think. These acronyms are garbage, you can't even look them up on Urban Dictionary

People think a thing is more SERIOUS and SCIENCY and PROFESSIONAL, and that they sound smarter and informed, that they have depth and validity by making up acronyms for their topic/community/focus. It's a vapid, low-effort pretense at complexity. Corporate buzztalk loving loves this poo poo.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

MasBrillante posted:

This might help clarify some things. Or maybe make them more confusing, I don’t know:

https://twitter.com/stefanmolyneux/status/1157076342476857344?s=21

My plan, for whenever my balls dry up and I'm riding out into the twilight with whatever vaporous hormones are donating motivation to do anything, is play me some god drat video games. I have a personal goal of not falling behind the technology curve when I've eventually got grandkids to school in SoulCalibur 18 or whatever's out in that distant decade.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ebola Roulette posted:

These people really do view love and relationships as entirely conditional and transactional.

Why not? Follows reason that most of these people worship a deity that provides 'unconditional' love with more caveats, clauses and conditions than a loving Apple EULA. Ultimatums suffuse their entire lives.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ebola Roulette posted:

Also, to anyone else with lovely parents, do they ever act like you're not supposed to be "better" than them? Like they have "crabs in a bucket" syndrome?

That is the most disgusting, obscene concept to me. All I want for my kids is for somehow both of them to be better than me. I don't really think it's all that hard, that's a rather low bar for them.

But, ugh! The idea that someone would just want their kid hobbled, inferior to them, what the gently caress? Do they firmly think they're going to live forever, their perpetuity maintained by keeping their own children suppressed? loving gross.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bitter, manipulative, solipsistic baby-boomer who is perpetually mad about the natural process of children growing up to be their own adults, enters a forum filled with other bitter, manipulative, solipsistic baby-boomers who have driven off their own children. Proceeds to hear their own myopic, self-serving, circular-reasoned opinions out of the mouths of others.

"Wow, thanks for everyone's input! It has enlightened me, it has opened my mind."

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sleeveless posted:

For people who don't venture outside of GBS...

You ought to respect that. Don't import drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jollity Farm posted:

Elton John wasn't able to adopt a baby from Ukraine, and he's Elton John.

Could've had something to do with him being Elton John.