Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

My girlfriend's mother would be a prime candidate for posting there if she gave a drat about the internet. Definitely a narcissist who will cut people out of her life over disagreements and perceived insults and then pop back into their life and pretend nothing happened as soon as she needs something.

The first time this happened while we were dating was Christmas 2017 when her mother let herself into our house while we were out of town and then redecorated our living room and moved our furniture as a "gift". She didn't speak to us for six months after because she was so offended by how ungrateful we were.

They aren't on speaking terms right now because my gf forgot her birthday and called her a day late (going on eight months I think), and she's cut her best friend (and neighbor) out of her life over some spat as well, then escalated it by building a giant privacy wall out of sheet metal to divide their properties.

Edit: Her mother also hates me because I dashed her delusional hopes that her daughter would get back together with a lovely ex that her mother loved.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Koalas March posted:

My mom definitely tried (& succeeded for a long time) to handicap me this way including not letting me get a permit to drive at 16

I posted earlier about my girlfriend's insane mother but man this post made me remember poo poo about my own upbringing I'd forgotten about.

My parents are both kind of control freaks (and divorced because of it). My mom for instance didn't let me learn to drive till 17 and then tried to heavily restrict where and when I drove because she was "worried about my safety" and kept coming up with increasingly ridiculous excuses until I learned to just ignore her. She did other similar things to impede me learning life skills like cooking, which I basically had to learn on my own.

Our relationship vastly improved after I went off to college and she adopted some greyhounds and could obsess over them instead. My dad likewise mellowed out with old age.

Edit: getting grounded or yelled at whenever I disobeyed them just taught me to be really good at covering my tracks and compartmentalizing information. For example, getting yelled at for having a girl over without 'parental supervision' turned into entire relationships being kept from them because I viewed it as none of their business.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 19, 2019

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess I just want a single person to respect me. Everyone IRL dismisses my opinion so much i fear I might legitimately be crazy.

Edit: regarding the previous weak conversation my mom treated to disinherit me and later said she was kidding with the same angry tone of voice. In fairness i did get outraged during the original Convo and spoke a bit loud and made some gestures when I mockingly said we should "going the weak into paste" to show how crazy she sounded. I shouldn't have done that. Bet next morning she will say she hasn't slept at night because of this. Did i step out of line? Sorry i am kind of freaking out.

To be honest it sounds like they don't respect you because you've been trained to be a doormat for them to walk on. You made a mild comment criticizing her stupid, cruel viewpoint and here you are self-criticizing yourself about something she absolutely deserved.

If she doesn't sleep at night, good. Standing up for yourself is not wrong and people, even family, should be treated with the same level of respect they give you.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

No it was more because I raised my voice and smacked my fist in my hand mocking them saying “grind the weak into meat” in response to them asking why I “sided with the weak”. I get that I overreacted and it might look scary.

That's not scary, they are deliberately overreacting to guilt trip you so that you feel like the villain for reacting to their provocations.

Stop rationalizing their lovely behavior and locking yourself into playing their game.