Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I was accused of BEING RUDE but I'm not going to say what I specifically was called out for doing because if I just say "being rude" it makes my accusers look irrational.

This is from the daughter in law of that Sheri woman who wrote that book:

quote:

She told Dan that my mom was rude to her and when he asked how, she said that my mom asked her if she wanted sweet tea, since they were both southern girls, and she told Dan that my mom was looking down on her for being from the South. Which is crazy since my mom is as well. Truth be told my mom was just trying to find some neutral ground with her but I don't think that exists.

wow rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

THOT PATROL posted:

BONUS ROUND! same woman posts an emo thread, comprised entirely of the following:

quote:

My oldest daughter has always been tough, she was born one month after my own mother died.

loving inconsiderate baby!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MasBrillante posted:

Got some fresh content for you bbs:

That facial expression and body language analysis is another recurring theme. They seem to get pleasure from any sign that someone might be unhappy, while any indication of happiness is either fake or a targeted attack on them. It's kind of exhausting to read about, I can't imagine what it must be like to spend time with this kind of person.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MasBrillante posted:

From now on I’m only going to post different narcissists. This is a new one.

quote:

I bought my ED a DVD player so she could watch home videos of HER that I had recently converted to DVDs

Ahahah this is great. Why would you not want to watch DVDs of yourself?? Why no I'm not a narcissist why do you ask?!

Also maybe she doesn't want to be reminded of things from her past.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The solution is to just send more DVDs players. Maybe there's some kind of subscription service or app that dispatches a DVD player every week?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Relevant article on the guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/aug/27/i-wish-id-told-dad-how-much-i-hated-him-when-children-ditch-their-parents

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

xpost from the r/relationships thread

teen witch posted:

Doublepost but oh, it’s worth it

quote:

AITA for refusing to keep paying my daughters expensive guitar lessons even tho I "forced her" to take them 10 years ago
u/[deleted]
My daughter is 20 now. When she was 10 she spent almost all her time on her Nintendo or Gameboy. So I signed her up for a bunch of after-school activities, guitar being one of them. The only thing she stuck with was guitar and she got into flamenco. She loves Paco de Lucya and wants to be like him. Problem being that those lessons are extremely expensive(10-30$ class) and don't let her concentrate completley on uni. She is a full time student. We don't pay for college because she got a full ride. She still wants us to pay for those lessons because the money she earns goes into groceries and bills and her major is too demanding to get a full time job. (Biology-microbiology). I flat out told her no and that if she wanted to continue to either look it up on YouTube or get a job to pay for her lessons.

Her dad is extremely mad at me and says that I am a hypocrite because I forced her to go in first place knowing that this could become a full time thing for our daughter. My logic is that she is an adult thus I shouldn't have to pay for her free time. AITA?

But wait there’s more as the daughter responded

quote:

This is not even the fully story. My mother is full of poo poo. I don't want her to pay for my clases I asked her if it was possible if she could help me pay for this clases. She didn't pay my clases for 10 years. She put me in the youth center to learn. And from there I have grown myself.

quote:

I am a guitar teacher but sadly the guy who would be my teacher doesn't do that. He is an old Spanish dude that relies in his students to pay him actual money. He allready offered me a pretty sweet deal

and in another thread in r/insaneparents

quote:

Context : My mother is a very cold woman. She never showed me much affection but always had many demands for me. She was the one pressuring me to obtain a full ride scholarship so she didn't have to pay a thing. When I would get a bad grade she would take food from me as a punishment. For speaking back at her she would take away one bed item per "rude thing" I said till I slept on a naked mattress. Even in winter. When I was 13 my dad divorced my mother and paid child support wich she would use for her own down time and would only pay for my necessities. She didn't even pay for my loving guitar lessons! Those were for free at the youth center. When I was 15 I got fed up and moved with my dad and that's when she had to pay child support to him. That's where her resentment for me comes from. I went NC for 3 years till she talked to me and apologized. We talked like once a week and then she asked me if she had to pay for schooling to wich I said "no I got a full ride". She was happy as could be and then I did something stupid, I asked her if she could maybe help me pay for some guitar lessons. She flipped her poo poo and left the restaurant we where at. I had to pay the bill. She send me an email with copied NTA responses of this thread with the email title of "you should be grateful for what I have done. You are now a brat to the internet"

Edit : by never financially support me I mean that she did the first year in payments and has never since done them

Yeah is there a smilie that’s stronger than :murder: ?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Has that story about the mushroom allergy been posted itt?

https://www.thecut.com/2019/08/ask-polly-my-in-laws-are-careless-about-my-food-allergy.html

quote:

Dear Polly,

I have a very severe allergy to mushrooms. I carry an EpiPen, and I have been hospitalized multiple times because of exposure to this food. One time, I began convulsing in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. My husband politely explained this to his parents when we started dating, and I was invited to family meals.

Since then, most meals we have shared at my in-laws’ house have had very limited options for me. Somehow, they manage to find a way to add mushrooms to almost everything. One time, they made a point to make a special plate of mushrooms and pass it around. My mother-in-law said, very rudely, “I would’ve liked to add mushrooms directly to the salad, but SOMEBODY has problems with it!” They even added mushroom powder to the mashed potatoes at one holiday dinner. My mother-in-law claimed it was a new recipe she’d found.

I literally held my breath as the mushrooms passed in front of me at the table that day. That was extremely dangerous for me. That food could kill me. What’s worse is my husband told me that mushrooms were not a common dish served by his parents before he started dating me.

When I was pregnant, my husband told them we would not take part in any family meals if they didn’t promise to keep the meals allergy-free. His dad said, “We can’t promise that. Everyone except your wife likes mushrooms, and we’re not changing what we eat for one person.”

My husband’s sister even called me up, angry about the fact we would not be attending a party at her parents’ house. Yelling that I was overreacting and that mushrooms are “not a poison.”

This has caused a huge wedge between my husband’s family and us. We no longer spend holidays with them and rarely speak. They don’t get to see their grandkids, even though they live very close by. His sister stopped talking to us. He has a brother who still reaches out and is kind to us, but he acts as though his parents are just set in their ways and we should forgive them and move on.

Short of taking them a doctor’s note, telling them my allergy is real, I’m not sure what to do.

My husband supports me 100 percent, and he is very angry and hurt by their actions. But at times I feel terrible that I am the cause of this rift, and I just want a happy family.

HELP!

Disrespected Daughter-in-Law

Fuckin mushroom powder in the mash potato.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

My ex had a severe peanut allergy, with seizures, epipen, the whole nine yards. And it's true that boomers love saying poo poo like, "Kids didn't have so many allergies when I was young!"

I dunno man, maybe you never met other kids with allergies because they mostly died undiagnosed.

We're also eating food that they never ate.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/oct/07/i-was-an-intruder-what-its-like-to-be-your-parents-least-favourite-child

quote:

Growing up in an outwardly happy family – her mother was a midwife, her father a doctor – it was only later that Sara understood the hidden dynamic: “I found out when I was 11 that I was illegitimate,” she says. “My mother was pregnant – and had been deserted – when she met the medical student she went on to marry. In their minds, I wasn’t a ‘doctor’s daughter’ like my sisters: I was just some random man’s offspring.”

quote:

“When I started school at five, I was left alone. And I mean alone: Mum was proud of telling people that she could stay at work until late because I came home, cooked my supper and often put myself to bed.”

When her sisters came along, they had very different childhoods: “They were never left alone. They were favoured emotionally and financially. My sister was bought a record player for her ninth birthday, for example, and I got nothing. Later, they both got driving lessons. Not me.”

Goddamn, her parents were shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Here's an estranged parent in the making from slate's care and feeding column.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/06/grandparents-coronavirus-social-distance-care-and-feeding.html

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

I’ve hoped and prayed for a grandchild for years. Finally, my son and his wife welcomed my first grandchild in April. Because of the pandemic, we were not able to go to the hospital to visit, and there was some question as to whether my son would even get to be present. Luckily, he was, and everyone is healthy and happy. The new parents allowed my husband and me to be present when they brought the baby home and have allowed regular visits.

They’ve stated that they would like us to strictly quarantine to prevent any risk of COVID infection. We have mostly done that, besides necessary trips to the grocery or the hardware store, golf outings for my husband (who needs the exercise), and stops by the gas station. We’ve also done a few “social distancing” visits with a couple friends, where we all sit 6 feet apart while we chat.

When my son expressed discomfort with the socially distanced visits, we mostly stopped; however, it is difficult to stay away from family and friends and spend all our time at home. This past week, our state began to allow hair salons to open. I immediately scheduled an appointment with my hairdresser, and my husband did the same. My son mentioned that they weren’t comfortable with this, and I explained the precautions the businesses were taking and that we’d wear masks. In the spirit of honesty, I also mentioned that we had recently visited a relative, but she lives alone and we “social distanced.” Well, before Memorial Day, my son and daughter-in-law told us they wanted to pause in-person visits.

I’m a retired medical provider, and I know better than he does when behavior is risky. I told my son this and mentioned that they needed to focus on bigger issues, like getting the baby to take a bottle, and that he should probably be meeting other people lest he become uncomfortable with strangers. Having visits with other people would also make his transition to day care easier.

My son did not seem to appreciate this advice, but I only told him what he needed to hear (honestly, he’s always been a bit sensitive). Because we no longer had the plans we thought we would for Memorial Day weekend, we had a few social distancing barbecues with some friends. Honestly, we’re doing everything reasonable to keep ourselves and the baby from harm. Besides that, there’s very little evidence that COVID even affects kids that seriously. We just want to see our grandchild and help out. I even offered to watch the baby while the parents work from home, but they’ve refused! What can I do to get them to see how absurd they’re being so that I can finally see my grandson? We’re not trying to invade upon their space, but we do believe we have a right to see the baby.

—Grandparents Have Needs Too

quote:

Your son and daughter-in-law have been mostly clear about their desires that you and your husband follow recommended best practices: stay socially distant, avoid unnecessary outings, and be generally vigilant. By your own admission, you’ve “mostly” sort of done that. A trip to the golf course is not necessary; neither is a haircut. I’m not saying that it’s easy to upend the usual business of life, simply that it’s what we’ve been asked to do by most authorities, and what you’ve been asked to do by your family.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure grandparents have a right to see their grandchildren. Your son and his wife are taking the precautions they feel are wisest, and that is their right as parents. It’s been a while, so you might not remember how sensitive parents can be in those early, newborn days, especially with their first child. A new parent’s instinct is to cocoon, to keep the baby safe. I cannot imagine how much more imperative that feels when there’s a pandemic sweeping the globe. For your son’s sake, I wish for him a parent who is a little more understanding.

I get that you don’t see eye to eye with him on this; I concede that it’s hard to be parented by your own child. But dismissing this as his “sensitivity” or trying to micromanage how he parents an 8-week-old baby is not going to get you very far. I know you’re desperate to be with this longed-for grandchild. It sounds to me like you’re going to have to make some sacrifices about haircuts and golf games and wine with friends in order to accomplish that; only you know if you’re willing to agree to those terms.