Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's called "the stolen generation", and the stories are horriffic.

Children being ripped from the arms of their crying mothers by policeman and nuns to be shipped off to underfunded church facilities so they can be trained as cattlehands and/or maids, (depending on the gender), because that is the only thing that they could ever be good for and face the neglect and physical/sexual abuse synonymous with places like that, (irrespective of gender). A lot of these kids' parents never stopped looking for them, and the kids themselves had to deal with insane red tape and administrative dragging of feet to find their parents.

Oh, and up until recently the government refused to apologize because of official Liberal party policy of "gently caress the loving abbos".

YAY Australia!

We had a similar thing in Canada with the Residential schools.

Worst part is that a large amount of Canadians (if not outright majority) think we've apologized for it "too much", even though the last one closed in 1996. I mean, it's mind-blowing to me that these hellholes were still in operation for the first decade of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I know my mom was always fearful that we'd end up having the same relationship that my dad and his siblings did with their mom, because she'd tell us how they'd go out to dinner, talk with each other, but have nothing to say to their own mother.

Problem is that whenever I talk to my mom, she has nothing to say. She doesn't really watch movies, really all that many books, or keep up with any real hobbies. All she ever does is work (and work and work), or gossip with her friends. She won't really agree to trying something new unless her hand is held the entire way, and even then she never really has much to say about it unless it's really awful and she gets to be hyper-critical. And the few times she does have an actual opinion, there's no room to move, "That's it, this is the way it is, end of discussion."

Gee, ma, I wonder why I'm not filling you in on all the details of my life right now.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Omobono posted:

Smart money would still say that the parent in question misunderstood everything something.

Probably. My old man used to think people could hack your computer via wi-fi and insisted on only accessing his online banking with the wired computer. He was fine with wifi for anything else but that.

Thankfully we convinced him otherwise more than a few years ago, but I still remember those days.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To boomers and other people who've never meaningfully experienced life outside suburban homes and schools, that doesn't matter.

Yep, Hallmark Channel and Lifetime movies have an audience for a reason.

I'll admit I've watched bits I've caught on TV to see if I can guess whether or not they were filmed in Canada on the cheap. I found out one of them was actually filmed in my hometown, too.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ralph Hurley posted:

Whining about disrespect and disappointment that everyone isn’t falling in line with your expectations and punctuating every paragraph with “sad!” makes you sound like a trump tweet, and that’s probably not a coincidence.

It's exactly what I thought of, too, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was actually influenced by Trump tweets.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

AceOfFlames posted:

...and THIS is the sort of thing lurking behind those "missing details" from the stories on those estranged parents forums. :magical:

Absolutely. The "He explained that there is tension between the two cultures and propaganda has affected M to misunderstand a historical event" had to be something major, and it did not disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Alterian posted:

My mom would threaten me with the spectre of "If you get B's and not all A's you're going to end up.......at Community College

Bitch, I'm a community college professor now. :smug:

I had a similar warning as a kid, too. To be fair, it's because my mom had this very old-world mentality that the only way to get ahead in life was to go to university to be educated, and then success would... just happen.

After two years of post-university unemployment, I went to the local college, got an accounting diploma, and am now a couple of years from finishing my CPA.