Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That AARP article is so good

quote:

"My parents have told me repeatedly that they don't believe in divorce,” says Mariana Olenko, 52, of New York City. “Even though I'm divorced — and a divorce lawyer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MasBrillante posted:

Christ, the unmitigated drama.

I don’t know what this sentence means but I do find it fascinating that even her neighbors think she’s abusive.

:murder: No wonder she hates you, you hag.

What in the gently caress is going on here?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Am I over-reading into this, or is there some racism involved here? As in this is from a crazy white lady who adopted a black, or hispanic baby, (to give it a better life and opportunities that it wouldn't have had in "those" communities)? All the stuff about her "genetic pre-disposition" and the way she damns with faint praise how well the girl is doing at school due to her IQ, (which others like her don't have) makes me think that here is a racist undercurrent to this story. Which may be why the mother and daughter haven't bonded sufficiently for the crazy lady's taste.

There's another post this lady made where she talks about the child having their IQ tested and being significantly above average.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Jesus christ this stuff is challenging to parse.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone got permabanned for abusing their kids

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884274&pagenumber=62&perpage=40#post497756584

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mods knew

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I lived with a boyfriend in his parents house in Ohio. They were fairly wealthy and had a giant mansion-like house, and one room that was roped- off, that his crazy mother rarely let anyone allow to walk inside. She called it her princess room, and it was basically a shrine to Princess Diana. White carpet, fancy velvet couch, hundreds of Diana portraits in golden frames, dolls that looked like Diana (so many dolls), Diana memorabilia, magazine covers, books, etc etc. But best of all, a gigantic clear glass grand piano with a gigantic picture of Princess Diana's face on the top of it, with the word "FOREVER". I'll never forget that room, i'll never forget how horrible his mother was, and i'll never forget peeing in the middle of her perfectly white carpet in that creepy room before I moved away forever.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Elderbean posted:

There are lots of people out there who think the words "I'm sorry" are a magical incantation that means the other person has to forgive you. They say they're sorry constantly without actually meaning it, when the other person doesn't forgive them (while also admitting that they were wrong) the estranged becomes the victim because "I apologized"

Apologies are cheap.

Is this something to do with Christianity?

That70sHeidi posted:

The woman who always adds that her son lives across the world reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket with her sister Violet who has enough room for a pony.

And Hyacinth being completely clueless that her son is gay.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Well. I did it. My wife and I cut ties with my mother and her husband. Thank you for the support. It's pretty weird coming out of the FOG in real time. I weirdly feel a lot better after that decision and not worse. Starting to see the exact same rage and confused depression in our children after each visit with her was getting way too familiar. Reading in to the matter all day today has made me realize I really need to get her away and start taking better care of myself and our family.

Weird tangential question: Did anyone else's narcissistic parent's abusively and publicly call them "spoiled" all the time? Mine did. I still get twitchy thinking about it.

This is the mother that is going to become a psychologist right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

That's my wife. My mother has taught 7th grade literature arts for 20 years.

Oh good I was really worried that the mother was going to become the worst psychologist in the world.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sarah Palin and her Husband Todd are finally getting divorced. I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see some posts from her about being estranged from her children Bristol, Trig, Flap, Willow, Groot , Piper, Keg and Track.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Babies just don't appreciate Olive Garden i guess.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Throughout the years there have been increasing boundaries and restrictions around their children, especially in regards to our son’s felony status" is quite a sentence.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We had a big discussion about food allergies in the boomer thread, basically boomer's can't deal with food allergies existing and will try to 'test' them constantly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want the estranged parents forum version of the coconut allergy death story.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mother's in law almost getting their children or grandchildren killed because they don't believe in allergies seems to be a disturbingly common thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JUSTNOMIL/search?q=allergy&restrict_sr=on

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That's another thing that bothers me about the estranged parents forums. The OP will start a thread and then all the replies will segue (often in the first sentence) into the replier's own story of their estranged children, with no effort made to comment on the OP's situation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

tentacle mom love

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

Making my way through the Boomers thread, this got posted:

Which is an article full of reasonable advice written by a woman who admits she had instincts to overstep boundaries but has learned to reel them in to maintain a good relationship with her sons, but HOLY poo poo the comments:

This article is full of soon-to-be-estranged parents energy:

quote:

Avoid Mistakes That Could Make Your Kids Hate You
Don't push your children away with these annoying habits

by Judith Newman, AARP, April 12, 2019 | Comments: 45

For most of my 20s, I kept two phone lines. One number was for everybody, except one person; the other was for my mother.

This was in the 1980s, before caller ID. I needed to know, with absolute certainty, that I could pick up my regular phone and not end up in a two-hour conversation about whether I was making enough money, or if I was dating, or if I had heard from that nice boy who had dumped me or whether I knew there was another serial killer in my neighborhood. So much to talk about! Most of these discussions played to my deepest anxieties that I was never going to make a living as a writer and never find someone to love me — though maybe none of that mattered because I would end up chopped up into little bits by the serial killer (who probably never called his mother, either). My mother wasn't trying to make me hate her. She loved me — and love makes people do strange things.

Now that I have two grown sons, I see things all too clearly from my mother's perspective: the endless anxiety, the near certainty that my kids are on the brink of making life decisions they will not be able to walk back, the absolute certainty they won't wear earmuffs when everyone should wear earmuffs. But now there is caller ID, unfortunately, so my sons can tell when it's me calling and not pick up.

Before I reach the point of registering myself as a “private caller,” to improve the odds they'll answer, I'm trying to get a grip. And you should, too. There are so many ways to push away your adult kids. Here's a small sampling of what not to do.

Invade their lives

Want your kid to avoid you on a daily basis? Make sure you have no idea where you end and he begins.

Susie Jo Levin's mother was very eager for her to get married. Very. Eventually, Levin, 58, a writer in northern New Jersey, met a lovely guy and got engaged, but the relationship faltered. “Our breakup was sad but amicable. I tell my mother over the Thanksgiving holiday. She has a meltdown. She gathers every speck of childhood memorabilia in her house and stuffs all 10 boxes into my car. Why? I don't know. She was just furious. But this is what every newly dis-engaged woman needs in a 250-square-foot apartment: a vintage Easy-Bake Oven, letters from camp and old prom dresses.” Somehow, says Levin, “this was her breakup” — caused by her daughter's crappy choices.

Fast-forward a few years, when Levin met the man she ultimately did marry, and the ex-boyfriend (now a friend) was at their wedding. Her mother turned to the ex and said, “See, this could have been your wedding."

Jane Greer, a psychotherapist and author of What About Me? Stop Selfishness from Ruining Your Relationship, has counseled many parents and their adult children. This lack of boundaries, she observes, is the children's No. 1 complaint. It's a reaction to the parent “who takes your successes and failures way too personally — who wants to know what you're doing, where you're going, how much it costs,” Greer says.

"And the kid is thinking, What part of ‘on my own’ don't you understand?"

Give conditionally

You lend the kids money, then complain about their spending. You give the grandkids Amazon gift cards but tell them they're only for books. “My husband's mother gave us money for a down payment on the house, which meant, as far as she was concerned, she got the key,” says one friend. “Actually, that was fine. What wasn't fine was that she never, ever knocked before she used it."

First, gifts are wonderful, but they do not give you an all-access pass to your adult child's life. And second, a gift with strings attached isn't really a gift at all.

For more home & family advice, get our monthly Lifestyle newsletter.

Be too meek

The “I didn't want to trouble you” sentiment seems so kind and considerate, doesn't it? But very often, your desire not to be a nuisance ends up causing a problem that is far bigger than if you had spoken up.

Joan Schmidt, 55, a New York City attorney, regularly took her 90-year-old mother to doctors, but occasionally her mom would get into “I don't want to be a bother” mode. “One day she decided to ask her 88-year-old friend Millie to drive her, rather than ask me,” Schmidt recalls. “So Millie did — dropping Mom off at a large shopping center in Eastchester, even though my mom apparently didn't know which building to enter.” Her mother ended up walking a mile home during the summer heat. In another instance, Schmidt's mother needed her car moved but didn't want to disturb Joan, who was in her home with her, working in another room. “So she asked my elderly aunt who lived across the street and had Alzheimer's and macular degeneration to do it.”

We all like to be in control of our lives. But your desire to stay in command may be counterproductive. I say this as someone who often had to rush my parents to the hospital for originally trivial medical problems that they ignored for months. (Men, here's an idea: Don't ignore a swelling prostate to the point where you have to be catheterized.) Sometimes you must trouble those closest to you.

Track their movements

When your children are 15 or 16, you're supposed to worry and be upset when they stay out late and don't call. And you can't help but shame them with tales of the heart attacks you suffered as a result. But now they've grown up and live far away. So why are you still waving the guilt wand over them if you don't immediately know where they are? Or, worse, doing what I used to think of as tag-team angst, with my father calling me to say, “Where were you? Your mother was so worried."

"Your children are not mind readers,” says Jane Isay, author of Walking on Eggshells: Navigating the Delicate Relationship Between Adult Children and Parents. “They don't know what's going on in your household, or just intuit that you need them or that you are worrying."

Sure, feeling guilty may make the child call. But at what cost? “Guilt creates resentment,” Isay says, “and makes it that much harder for them to pick up the phone next time.”

Abuse your email

Though this is a minor infraction, mindlessly forwarding email to your children can drive them berserk. “Every day I receive multiple forwarded emails from my father, clueing me in on World's Scariest Bridges or Unlikely Animal Friends,” says Jancee Dunn, author of Why Is My Mother Getting a Tattoo? and Other Questions I Wish I Never Had to Ask. “He means well, but I don't think some retired parents are fully aware of the sheer volume of emails their adult children receive in a day. Deleting all of the forwarded email just becomes one more task.”

Another tip: When you send your kid an email, you don't have to call to tell her you “just sent an email."

Offer outdated advice

Patrick DiJusto, a 54-year-old book editor in New York City, reports this recent conversation with his father:

"You wanna put all your money into 7 percent CDs."

"Dad, there are no more 7 percent CDs."

"That's crazy — I always had all my money in 7 percent CDs. Doubles your capital every 10 years!"

"Do you still have them?"

"No."

"Why not?"

[Mumbles indistinctly]

"That's my point, Dad. You can't find 7 percent CDs anymore."

"You can if you look."

"We all love giving advice in the areas we feel competent in,” Greer explains. “But be aware that your expertise may be unwelcome if it doesn't address the challenges of today.” This is particularly true when it comes to financial advice or financial help. Let's say you have promised to pay for half of a grandchild's college tuition — a loving gesture parents make when their child has a baby. As generous as your $2,500 is, it may not even make a dent in Grandbaby Einstein's college costs. So before you make that kind of commitment, know what you're in for.

Make holidays unhappy

Do your kids think of family special occasions with pleasure? Or do your rules and regs make the whole affair feel like a holiday death march?

"If my sister and I didn't celebrate our birthdays with our mother, she was wounded,” says Laurie Lewis, 59, a New York City real estate broker. “It wasn't good enough that we all went out during, say, that week; it had to be on the actual day. If I suggested another day, perhaps more convenient, the hurt turned to an angry response of, ‘Let's just forget your birthday this year, since it does not mean that much to you.’ “

I understand that you want to honor family traditions. But as your kids get older, have spouses, children and obligations of their own, you have to allow for the possibility that they need to develop their own traditions. Plus, you want to be a joyous celebrant with them, not the Enforcer.

Second- and third-guess

You know what another word for “constructive criticism” is? Criticism.

"Here are the subjects my mother feels the need to comment on,” says Moira Lawson, 59, a health policy adviser who lives in Baltimore. “My looks, my parenting, my clothes, my home, how I spend my money — pretty much on everything.”

"My parents have told me repeatedly that they don't believe in divorce,” says Mariana Olenko, 52, of New York City. “Even though I'm divorced — and a divorce lawyer."

Ellen Stimson, 56, a writer in rural Vermont, admits: “It's really hard to pick just one incident here. One Thanksgiving my mother arrived early, before all the other guests, and when I went upstairs to dress, I heard a crash and the sound of shattering glass. I ran back downstairs to find her in the kitchen, standing among the shards that had been my chandelier. She'd apparently decided it was too dirty for company and had taken it down to wash it. But it had been on, and was still hot, and it exploded when the water hit it. As I walked in on this chaos, she said — without missing a beat — ‘I guess the dirt was the only thing holding it together.’ “

Observes Isay, “One of the great skills of parenting adult children is learning to keep your mouth shut."

This is a skill I intend to practice. Soon. I can't wait to tell my two sons — once they answer their phones.

Judith Newman is a columnist for the New York Times and author of To Siri with Love: A Mother, Her Autistic Son, and the Kindness of Machines.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You can find them if you look.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah i'm reading the estranged parents forum and a lot of people are using it as an excuse to get in contact with their estranged children.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
From reading the rejected parents forums it seems they think that their estranged children should contact them because of how dangerous the virus is to them (because of their advanced age., and their children are being super selfish by not doing so. And/or they are using the seriousness of the situation as an excuse to try to contact their estranged children.
So the virus has basically made them even more sure that they are right and their children are wrong.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Biodad sounds like a crap superhero.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Why is that thread so resistant to bookmarking? I bookmarked it a while back so I could always find it, and I just realized it’s not in my bookmarks. I checked, and it was bookmarked, even though it doesn’t show up in my bookmarks. I un-bookmarked it and re-bookmarked it, but it still doesn’t show up.

I am using the Awful app, currently on iOS. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Maybe cause it's in the goldmine?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is it possible that Freud got all this poo poo wrong because he was the first one to try and do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I haven't followed this thread, but does the Meghan Markle/ Prince Harry saga match the estranged parents pattern?