Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also, my grandad has full on dementia and has forgotten why he hates everyone so his two daughters unestranged and my dad (his oldest kid) visits him more than once every year! So for all these rejected parents, they can hold out hope that when their brains turn into porridge their kids might get back in contact with them.

This has a very Monkey's Paw feel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
So now that we're fully into quarantine hell, do any of you who are brave enough to stare into the abyss have anything to post? (I am not brave enough)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She's sort of like a physician's assistant, so she wouldn't have direct access to records, but I could easily see her saying "gently caress it" and taking a look anyway if she realizes that I was once a patient and now I've contacted them. Again, the records would have my old last name, address, and phone number, but that doesn't help the paranoia. And thank you for all the replies.

So I am actually a medical records professional, and if you really, really want to get ahead of this, I would suggest sending a certified letter to the practice manager asking them to remove the email from your account (that's the only thing that's still the same, right?). If they had paper records back in the day, it'll still be there somewhere, but a PA isn't going to be digging around in old paper charts.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think maybe you should buy a guitar, too.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I remember reading the Josh saga in real time when it was posted. It's wild from start to finish.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
r/amitheasshole has some doozies

AITA for refusing to justify why I left my sons wedding early?

quote:

My son got married a couple days ago. I wasn’t happy about it and I’m sure he knew that but I didn’t say anything. I felt sick at the reception and had horrible stomach pain. My husband and I left and my son seemed offended, though I told him that I felt sick. It got worse that night and I went to the ER. I ended up having appendicitis and having to have surgery.

While I was at the ER my son and DIL both texted me about how selfish and immature it was to leave their wedding. My DIL who likes to throw around loaded terms called it toxic. Now I could easily show them my discharge papers and clear myself but I don’t think I owe them any type of explanation. I don’t like being called a liar. I’ve been respectful and I feel like I’m being punished for not wanting to be close to DIL. My sister thinks I should show them and my husband thinks I should tell them both to gently caress off, I’m leaning much more towards not showing them.

they get rightly dragged in the comments. https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/ihkrhf/aita_for_refusing_to_justify_why_i_left_my_sons/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Ooh, being trans could tie into the "change your name" thing, too (although these kind of people usually a name change as a deadly insult).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I read a story about a child in the Romanian orphanages, back in the worst days. He had a slight physical disability, so they put him in with the undesirables who were left to die, but he was a precocious kid, and one of the nurses made him her assistant of sorts. He ended up in the US later, and lived until adulthood autonomously, despite severe abuse scars that made it hard for him to connect to people. But yeah, point being, the help of even a single caregiver who actually cares can be the difference between dying alone in the same bed you've been in since childhood, and having a home and a job.

His name is Izidor. Here's the article.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Thank You Card posted:

we're planning on not speaking to them and calling the cops, but anything else i should do for an estranged parent crossing state lines to show up at our door

Is calling the non emergency police number to say "just so you know, there may be a confrontation here tomorrow" a thing?

Also a security cam with sound might be a good idea.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

nishi koichi posted:

it’s difficult to describe this to someone not familiar with their playbook. you’ll hear “oh you’re just making poo poo up” when, to us, it reads like a neon sign

Part of the reason I (a person who was lucky enough to grow up with nice parents) read this thread is to learn what to look out for, so I can be more supportive of people who need it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
jemand, are you still in contact with anyone from your group, or could you maybe find them and ask what the group was called? Something for Axqu to use to start a search, anyway.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
And let me guess, your mom didn't ration or deny herself feminine products, right?

It made me think of this AITA that I dearly hope is fake but know that even if it is, someone out there is actually going through it.

quote:

I (48M) have a 16 year old daughter. According to her, she’s had issues with disposable pads and they supposedly “irritate” her and she thinks she gets an allergic reaction to them.

She’s heard of something called Thinx period underwear and she came to me and asked if I would be willing to order her a pair because they’re expensive. She also elected to share with me how her last period it was so bad she had to free bleed on her last days and that these would help with that. I’d never heard about them before and when I asked she said she heard about them from online and a story about a woman in a similar position to her and that these came highly recommended.

I told her no, because they cost too much. I told her that if she wanted a pair she could buy some herself. She protested and complained because she hasn’t had a job since quarantine and that these are a “necessity” so therefore I should help pay for them, and volunteered to pay half. I still refused because I didn’t see the point when there are perfectly fine disposable pads at the store. She went running to her mother and my wife is against me now and wants to order her a pair, but I said it’s my credit card and they can’t use it without my permission. AITA for this?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

I could do it without showing my face and keeping names and places anonymous. But it would also be more interesting to see the face behind these stories to make it more relatable.

This made me think of Tara Westover's book Educated. She made up names for her family members, but published it under her real name, and you can easily find their real names online. I can only imagine how much that blew up.

Apparently her mother wrote a book called "Educating" telling her side of the story. If I recall, she was estranged from her parents and siblings in Educated, and said estranged family members helped Tara get out.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That can't be the only thing Lt Dan's mother has absolutely insane views on, and I must admit I'm morbidly curious about what the others are.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I am doing better with setting boundaries with my family. I told them all no Christmas this year. Did not let my older brother pull me into an argument about it. Baby steps.

idk, Christmas is a pretty big deal in a lot of families. It might not be that much of a baby step.

ok, true.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 14, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
On mobile so I can't really format but there's an estranged mother posting on reddit and getting dragged in the comments
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/knrp26/please_help_me_70f_get_my_son_m40_and_grandkids/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I genuinely have a tear in my eye. 2020, the worst year most of us have seen, and not only did you get through it--you THRIVED

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Better to become independent of your overbearing parents while you can than before they start depending on you as they age (and eventually pass and you have to become independent anyway).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
PLEASE tell me you're not expected to clean up your mother's poop. PLEASE.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Neito posted:

My mom didn't want me to watch Ninja Turtles or play with toy guns until she realized it was inescapable one day when I bit my toast into a gun shape and went "bang, bang".

My brother did that, but with a pop tart.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I can imagine a well meaning but ignorant person asking that wanting to know what the triggers are so they can avoid them, but I doubt that's what actually happening.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I was raised catholic but I'm pretty much areligious now and for some reason, when poo poo gets real bad I tend to mentally evoke her name and image. Mary had a weird-rear end kid and she supported and loved him anyway. :colbert:

I was curious to see if there was a saint of children of lovely parents. St. Germain Cousins had an abusive stepmother who was enabled by her father, but that's not quite the same thing.

There is a patron saint for mothers of disappointing children, though! (St. Monica)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Someone sent me a PM suggesting St. Eugene De Mazenod, who is the saint of troubled families. His maternal grandmother sounds like she was a piece of work and would fit in well in this thread.

quote:

When Charles-Antoine and Marie-Rose (Eugene's parents) announced their engagement, the bride’s family insisted that the traditional dowry remain in Marie-Rose’s name, out of the reach of Charles-Antoine.

Marie-Rose’s mother meddled in every decision the couple tried to make. Her emotionally unbalanced aunt demanded constant attention, and the Joannis women took every opportunity to humiliate Charles-Antoine by reminding him that he had come into their family penniless.

His bourgeois family had to flee France during the French Revolution, during which his parents divorced, and Eugene ended up escaping his family by joining a seminary and then going to poor rural areas in France to clean up the mess that the revolution had made of religious life (convents and monasteries destroyed, etc). He never reconciled with his parents.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Just tell him you can't come because you don't want to expose him to vaccine cooties.

edit: That came out sounding more flippant than I meant it to, but there's literally no way you can win, right? Damned if you do, damned if you don't, but if you don't at least you don't get interrogated in person.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 1, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ghostnuke posted:

I 100% legit thought that your parents hitting you was just something that happened to everyone. I guess I normalized it?

No, it does not happen to everyone, and even most people who got spanked were not abused to the frequency or degree which you described.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Time passes slower when you're in pain, that's just a fact.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Vampire Panties posted:

I entertain myself imagining the speech at her funeral and telling everyone, with evidence, exactly what she thought about them. Those sort of confrontations never go how they should though :smith:

You could always publish a scathing obituary like this.

quote:

Marianne Theresa Johnson-Reddick born Jan 4, 1935 and died alone on Aug. 30, 2013. She is survived by her 6 of 8 children whom she spent her lifetime torturing in every way possible. While she neglected and abused her small children, she refused to allow anyone else to care or show compassion towards them. When they became adults she stalked and tortured anyone they dared to love. Everyone she met, adult or child was tortured by her cruelty and exposure to violence, criminal activity, vulgarity, and hatred of the gentle or kind human spirit.
On behalf of her children whom she so abrasively exposed to her evil and violent life, we celebrate her passing from this earth and hope she lives in the after-life reliving each gesture of violence, cruelty, and shame that she delivered on her children. Her surviving children will now live the rest of their lives with the peace of knowing their nightmare finally has some form of closure.
Most of us have found peace in helping those who have been exposed to child abuse and hope this message of her final passing can revive our message that abusing children is unforgivable, shameless, and should not be tolerated in a “humane society”. Our greatest wish now, is to stimulate a national movement that mandates a purposeful and dedicated war against child abuse in the United States of America.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BaronVonVaderham posted:

usually happened with gym where bullying made me avoid participating whenever possible

I was bullied by the gym teacher I had from kindergarten to third grade to the point that even now, at 35, I can barely go to a yoga class because I associate exercise with punishment and humiliation so strongly. Team sports are right out. He'd do poo poo like make whoever was slowest at running laps run an extra lap or do leg lifts for the rest of class, and that was ALWAYS me because I was a sickly kid (ulcerative colitis--lots of pain and weakness).

My elementary school actually had a really strong anti-bullying stance, but apparently that only applied to other kids.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
From Captain Awkward's November Search Terms post.

quote:

It Came From The Search Terms: November 2021
November 30, 2021 ~ JenniferP

The sun is setting on November, so here’s that thing where I treat the search strings people typed in to find this place as actual questions. No context, snap judgments, go! I didn’t pick a song this month.

3 “Captain Awkward how not to be someone your adult child writes to advice columnists about.”

This could become a very long list/book chapter unto itself, but these are a few common elements I notice in recurring parent-child conflicts in my inbox:

Your children are not your property nor are they extensions of you. Grocery bills and tuition payments were not a down payment on a lifetime of obedience.
Your children are experts on their own experiences and needs, which may be inconsistent with what they needed when they were small, and quite different from what you imagined, assumed, or hoped. Insisting upon imaginary consistency at the expense of what the actual person in front of you is telling you that they need is both extremely stressful and extremely doomed.
Respect boundaries. If your child asks you not to do something (call them when they’re at work, touch them a certain way, comment on their body or appearance, serve food that they hate or are allergic to, drop by unannounced, call them the wrong name), they are giving you information about how to treat them well. “But I’m your parent, so I should get to [do the thing you just said you hate!]” isn’t a good argument, and your relationship with them will deteriorate if you continue.
Your children have their own memories of growing up, and it’s normal if they remember events that you both experienced differently than you do. That’s not an attack or a lie, and they aren’t automatically unreliable narrators just because they were little.
You do not have to like or agree with all of your child’s choices, but if you respond to everything they reveal about themselves with judgment and criticism, do not be surprised if they stop telling you stuff.
“Are you asking for advice or just telling me what’s going on?” is a useful question in any relationship. Not everything needs to be a teachable moment.
Your adult children are not responsible for your emotional well-being, nor is it on them to fill the gaps in your social calendar or make up for disappointments in your other relationships. Make some friends. Join something. Find a therapist. Everyone will be happier for it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That sounds exhausting.

Was it Cow Tails your dad was thinking of?

edit: There are actually a lot of caramel-on-a-stick candies, and it turns out Cow Tails are not one of them. They are, however, shaped like a Slim Jim.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 17, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

AceOfFlames posted:

I have no one I trust, that’s the issue.

Well, does the sweater FEEL like it fits? Can you move your arms comfortably, does it rise up and show your whole belly if you lift your arms, is it a struggle to get on?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Omobono posted:

Facts are pointless. It's not about "looking fat", it's about the mother smothering and gaslighting the OP with any bullshit excuse because she doesn't like the sweaters and Lord spare her from her kid having different tastes.

EDIT: or showing any kind of independence.

I apologize, I was bamboozled by this rear end in a top hat mother. Amazing how it can be done third hand over the internet.

(Also I had a flashback to clothes shopping with my mother, who is usually pretty great but loses her mind in a dressing room)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
AceOfFlames, you might look into something called DARVO

[

quote:

DARVO is an acronym for "deny, attack, and reverse victim and offender". It is a common manipulation strategy of psychological abusers.[1][2][3] The abuser denies the abuse ever took place, attacks the victim for attempting to hold the abuser accountable, and claims that they, the abuser, are actually the victim in the situation, thus reversing the reality of the victim and offender.[1][3] This usually involves not just "playing the victim" but also victim blaming.[2]

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

eSporks posted:

I've dealt with a lot and its been very hard to be proud of myself.

FWIW I'm proud of you (and everyone else in this thread who is putting themselves first).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Vampire Panties posted:

All that stuff about HIPAA and SOX is very much applicable to you, and they violated that. I'm pretty sure any personal lawyer will start salivating when you tell them this story

I don't know what SOX is but HIPAA has nothing to do with utility companies. It's for healthcare providers only. (Now, it may be worth notifying your medical providers that you're being stalked and harassed so they can put an alert on your chart not to discuss anything with anyone.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

My mom just straight up refused to ask me to get together and socialize, and expected me to do the asking

Ah, this is my mother-in-law, and why my husband only sees her at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and events like weddings and funerals where they're both invited separately by third parties.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Do not rent that house from them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This was in poor taste.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 12, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Is there a way to set up a google alert that searches for a name and "obituary"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Well poo poo. My mom managed to send me a letter. She just owned up to everything.

My immediate reaction to this was "she wants a kidney".