Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Upstaging a pregnant woman at her party celebrating said pregnancy upset her? Truly, DIL’s reaction is baffling!

Way earlier in this thread (I think. Might've been Issendai)there was a post that fundamentally boiled down to "my daughter in law who had a miscarriage is cutting me out of her life. Can't she see how much that hurts me, the person who lost their grandchild to a miscarriage?"

Upstaging is just the name of the game to these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

To an extend, I think it's also a kinda weird backlash from the Spotlight Effect run amuck. They assume everyone is watching and judging them all the time (My mother, who once insisted I lug a bag of trash through the house rather than use the front door because "we aren't hillbillies" being an example), so when someone agrees with them, they assume that it has the same devastating effect on you that someone agreeing with or judging you would have on them.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I always wondered what it would look like if Gene Ray, Cubic got into the meth.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

catapede posted:

Putting Grey Poupon on my sandwiches, sipping Starbucks out of the fancy china, while I gaze disdainfully at the peasants strolling along the path below my manor's balcony.

Rejected parents asking people to "please pass the Jelly", like god-fearing folk.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

"Parents: Do you have a have a creepy amount of access to your adult children's lives? Better use that to abusively bully them into having the right opinions!"

Like, I have issues with how much access my mom has to my personal life sometimes, but I'd never imagine giving her access to the point that she can determine poo poo like this.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father would tell me how lucky I have it that he doesn't beat the poo poo out of me the way his father would beat the poo poo out of him...while beating the poo poo out of me.

Here's a great example of how badly he screwed himself. My sister is twelve years older than me, and my father is her stepfather. So when my sister had two daughters and a son, my father decided they weren't real grandchildren because they're not blood, so he didn't really try with them and constantly complained that they were spoiled brats. There was one year where he faked an illness for every one of their birthday parties so he didn't have to go. He would always talk about the children I would have, and how great it would be to finally be a grandpa, as he would not allow my sister's kids to call him that. At one point he even told me he had something very important to discuss with me. He sat me down and said, "You need to promise, right now, that your kid will be a Yankee fan. And don't let [sister's husband] into the hospital because he'll try to put a Met hat on him." He was 100% serious.

Then I went no contact with my entire family in 2012, and my current spouse and I aren't having children anyway. So he wasted the last twenty-six years basically ignoring my sister's kids while waiting for "actual" grandchildren that never came to be and never will.

The worst part of this is definitely that someone is, somehow, a die-hard Yankees fan. It's like rooting for the rich kid team in the Mighty Ducks; I'm sure it happens, but I can't imagine it.

*Puts on his "Boston is best at everything" shirt and strides confidently to his death in the Bronx*

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Random Words posted:

and that these things need to be kept in the family,

"What goes on in this house stays in this house" has probably enabled more abuse than most things.

Having moved out and gotten out from under direct involvement with my mom, I've cooled on my seething dislike of her, though having some Honest Talks with my dad over christmas made me realize how much I missed when I was younger (which I'm pretty sure wasn't his intention, but whatever.)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

At least she's consistent about her complete and total lack of boundaries in any way shape or form?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

Your child should not ever be your "friend" until they are a mature adult themselves. You should not be relying on your child for emotional support, confiding in them, etc. - it's an inappropriate and abusive exploitation of a child.

As a friend of mine likes to say, describing their experiences as a child, "Excuse me sir, that's my emotional support eldest child."

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also the second one has made me have a thought, which may be super obvious, so I am sorry if I am being trite.

But to a lot of these estranged parents, they have fetishized, and over-romanticized the relationship they had with their kids when the kids were little. "We were always best friends when X was growing up.", "She was always my princess and we were so close.", "he was such a mummys boy always clinging to my skirts and confiding in me everything about what went on in school." etc. Leaving aside the over-clingy dependant parenting stuff for another time, I think a lot of these memories are bullshit projections of what the mother wanted. As in, the estranged child had a relatively normal childhood, and sure, when they were 5 they hid behind mummy's skirts when they were scared etc. But they, as all normal people do, grew up and became independent people with lives of their own and didn't need their mummy to cut the crusts off their bread anymore. This has sent the parent insane, coz they refuse to accept that their little baby is no longer a baby, and thus intentionally mistake independence for aloofness.

I don't even think it rises to that level. I think for a lot of these parents, their children aren't even to the level of fetish objects; they didn't have kids out of a genuine desire to raise an independent life from childhood to independence, to see a life blossom under their care. It wasn't even to the level of "Well, I can have something that will always love me no matter how I treat it, and something that will take care of me in my old age". It's "Well, Tim and Darline have a kid now, what, do they think they're better than me or something?. Gina, throw away the condoms, I'm raw dogging you every night until we have a kid too!"

Kids to these people are a tick-box on a list, like owning a house or complaining about how downtown's gotten a little "dark" these days.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Deki posted:

My mom treated my adhd diagnosis like being diagnosed as retarded (her wording).

I didn't get poo poo for help dealing with it until I was 25. Obviously the doctors and teachers were wrong, as I wasn't stupid.

Having mad flashbacks to a partner I had in college who did that when she found out I had diagnosed ADHD. Probably should've been more of a clue as to what she was, frankly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

As written, she's not exactly the champion of compassion but she's not in the wrong.

That said, live footage of the phrase "they never warmed up to me" in that sentence:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Rutibex posted:

yup i just got a furious email from her about "my posts on that forum". I'm hoping its not a goon cuz that would be seriously creepy and i want my mother to have paid $10 to read my posts

I'm so ultra super glad that my mom and I, at the start of the social media era, both looked at each other and said "I'm not following you" at the same time.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The cruelty is the point, as it were.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Alice should absolutely be reprimanded, good intentions are irrelevent.

Also, found this on Reddit, thought it was appropriate for this thread:

Ninja Edit: For mockery, of course, especially the line about "Biological property".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

teen witch posted:

I feel like I’m reading a stroke

SovCit poo poo will do that to ya.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, you noticed too.

This is 100% a recruitment flyer for a sovcit guru. This might make y'all sad but the person who made that is going to get rich af.

I mean, I found it on /r/amibeingdetained, a sovcit mock sub, but yeah, CPS is a lesser-known but still common target amongst those types.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

teen witch posted:

Oh, oh this is a little GEM

There's a whole network of weird-as-gently caress SovCit mock subs, /r/schizophreniarides is also pretty good (though I'm not a fan of the name).

Also, JFC I must be on a roll today, this popped up in my feed, thought it wicked appropriate to (some versions of) the relationships in this thread:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

So. Does the "biological property" belong to the parents, or the grandparents?

Also this reads a lot to me like the Mens Rights arseholes who complain about women "stealing" their sperm to make babies that the men will later fight like hell to avoid paying for in court, or demand custody of because there is no way that bitch is getting anything of "mine".

MRAs, SovCits, and Rejected Parents venn diagram stacks on top of each other like a set of delicious pancakes.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

kntfkr posted:

YES. What the gently caress is DC and DD? Dead children, dead daughter, dead husband? I want to la chancla this woman in the face every time she does it. What a piece of poo poo.

Dear. Dear Husband, Dear Daughter, etc.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

My mom didn't want me to watch Ninja Turtles or play with toy guns until she realized it was inescapable one day when I bit my toast into a gun shape and went "bang, bang".

She was also super not a fan of violent video games until I was old enough that she didn't really have to care. I remember thinking Doom was verboten until I was like.... 17.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I made the mistake of suggesting my mom invite me over whenever she wants when she complained I only visit on holidays. Apparently she wasn't supposed to be responsible, it was my job as the child. And the fact I didn't constantly ask to be invited over was a huge insult and proof I don't love anybody. She never verbalized any of resentment until our huge fight after years of her ignoring me intentionally to prove to herself how awful I am and how she's justified in pitying herself.

Our conversations would be:
"You should visit more."
"Okay, let me know when you want to get together next! Neither of us work Sundays, any Sunday would work."
*crickets chirping*

My mom pulled this with texting when I lived at home and was away, and when I was in college. She would make a big to-do about how worried she was about me when I didn't text and keep contact. My counterpoint was perpetually "If you're worried, just text me", to which I got a variety of responses.

"I don't want your friends thinking I'm a nag" They won't, and it's none of their business anyway.
"I don't want to interrupt something" The beauty of texting is that it's asynchronous.
"It shouldn't be my responsibility" And we get to the core of the issue: she wasn't worrying and didn't want me to check in, she just wanted to make sure that even when I was away from her she had a way to inject herself into my life.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tarkus posted:

It's so they can determine if the PTSD is 'valid' or not.

Valid: IDK some warrior princeling who saw 14,000 members of his family decapitated and then bodyslammed Sadam's head off.

Invalid: yours.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

pentyne posted:

what's the line about boomers and 'respect'? Something like they expect to be treated like the boss but expect to treat others like lesser subordinates

"Sometimes people use "respect" to mean "treating someone like a person" and sometimes to mean "treating someone like an authority"

For some, "if you don't respect me, I won't respect you" means "if you don't treat me like an authority, I won't treat you like a person""

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I just got repeated mentions of "What goes on in this house stays in this house", which is a terrifying thing in retrospect.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Starting therapy has caused me to realize just the extent to which my mom pushed her bullshit on me and parentified me. Just working through the levels of shame I feel for the slightest thing is almost exhausting.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

That question has been baffling me more and more as I've gotten older. My dad literally tried to murder my mom, and afterwards she pushed my sister and I into having a relationship with him. When her dad died maybe 6 years ago(?), she wanted to talk to me, and she told to reach out to mine and make amends so I 'wouldn't have any regrets'.

Let me tell you, I have zero regrets being zero contact with him and pretending he doesn't exist.

I think it's biology. We tend to bond and desire bonds with the people who raised us from a young age.

That said, just because it's :biotruths: doesn't mean it's good. My biology tells me to eat 157 cookies a day and jerk off every hour instead of working. It's up to our higher functions to regulate what the lizard brain has access to.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I'm excited for you! Good luck in therapy! :)

I've got anxiety that thankfully has lessened since I got my physical health in order, but I think back to when they piped anti-anxiety meds into my IV at the hospital and for 3 days I had, like, crystal clear non-anxious vision and knew immediately what is and isn't important. I miss that (but I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be on that level of meds on the reg).

That sounds like either a beautiful heaven or a terrifying hell, and I'm not 100% sure which.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Anyone else have that moment where you're describing how your mom acted when you lived with her and then pause and realize you just described a cycle of abuse in different words?

Gonna need a hot minute or two to process that one.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

I do think, though, if you're planning on having more than one kid, you should try to have what you plan to have (keyword: plan) as quickly as possible so they're close in age. There's no guarantee that siblings will even like each other, of course, but virtually no chance of a close peer relationship if they're more than 5 years apart. Plus once you're set up for and used to dealing with one baby having a second or third isn't 2X and 3X the difficulty. I know it's the dreaded pet analogy, but it's a bit like how owning two dogs isn't twice as hard as owning one.

I do love how with most normal/decent parents that have more than one kid, the first kid will have a baby book where every page is filled out, everything is perfectly documented. The second onward it's like the first 3 pages and then .... :effort: My wife's, the second-born in her family, is like that, as is my younger brother's.

I'll say that my little brother and I (6 years apart) are closer now than when we were in school, but we're very different people, and it's almost like having two only children. We definitely had the "I hated him in high school but we reconciled as adults" timeline of events.

I remember one time my mom hitting me; (I have to re-write this constantly, because even now my default perspective was "I was being a lovely 20something") she and I were having an argument, one of those screaming yelling ones, and she backed me up against the stairs and slapped me in the face so hard she broke my glasses. I remember distinctly that I didn't have insurance at the time and couldn't afford a new pair so we glued them back together; at several public events she had me take them off because they were "embarrassing".

Jesus, that's the first time I've thought about that in... years. Maybe over a decade.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

You ever have the moment/crisis where you wonder how much of your personality is you, and how much was cultivated to make life easier for one of your parents?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

I also had this horrible realization of being like a bonsai tree, trimmed and stunted in growth, for my parents convenience, a few years back. I'm still trying to figure out which parts are hosed up and fix them little by little.

That's hauntingly accurate.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

[...] your suggestion that [fiance] and I should think of it as our child since we're women and can't have one of our own easily is simply gross.

:wtc:

Good on your cousin for not getting drawn into a spiral of bullshit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

Thing is I guarantee her daughter was not manipulative and needy, but just a normal child.
Why have kids if you begrudge them being a child and having needs? If you don't want to give to them?

As we observe over in the Boomer Hate thread, a lot of people have kids cus it's the expected thing to do, like voting, or paying taxes, or disliking when brown people move into your town.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Gonna need a link to that.

Beachcomber posted:

Hello, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'll leave it here, along with the Nextdoor thread, which is ALSO more or less a Boomer hate-thread:

Does Generation X even exist Is it even real? thread

What the gently caress is up with Nextdoor?

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Here's a question for the thread: How come this kind of parent ends up apoplectically angry when others decide not to have children? Like they're angry other people won't have to "go through what they did".
I think what someone said upthread about legacy is true, but also that they had to sacrifice for something they "had" to do, and it's not fair in their minds that someone can just choose not to do something that they absolutely didn't have to either but felt forced into.

teen witch posted:

sort of tangentially related but I’ve been mulling it over: what is it with people and this “I suffered with x, now you gotta” mentality? like, no desire to improve for the future but to instead continue a cycle of lovely things.

Like for instance; any kook that gets upset at the concept of student loan forgiveness. My mom used her retirement to pay off my loans as the interest was downright predatory, and now I just pay her directly. Under no circumstance would I want a lovely system I NARROWLY avoided to continue, even if I don’t really benefit from it.

It’s similar with having kids. “Oh they’ll make you miserable but you must have kids you must suffered as we suffered”. Like…no?

what’s so bad about letting others being not miserable?

Spite, and an internalized belief that suffering is good and makes you stronger. Which loops into Kids These Days, who are Too Soft, not like me, who has no ability to conceive of the existence of opinions outside a center-right regulated capitalism.

Neito fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 29, 2021

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

There's levels of manipulation and codependence in there I can't even begin to unravel. It's like watching a train crash into a plane crash into a car crash into a boat over a pit of lava.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Lieutenant Dan posted:

My mom's the same way! Even with stuff that has multiple witnesses, photo evidence, my dad saying "well I was there it DID happen", she just repeats and repeats "no it didn't, I don't know why you would make things up" and getting very very angry. She'd just shout that it never happened until you gave up.

Enabling dad update: He reached out again to ask to talk to me, I said not right now, he emailed back saying OK, but included an awful tagged-on message from my lovely estranged mom that says "mommy loves you" and other really creepy poo poo like that. I'm kind of skeeved out and don't really want to talk to the guy any more. I did talk to the therapist who handles my parents and she said, if I'd like, I can speak to my dad with her in the room so I can ask him what the gently caress. I asked the therapist about my mom and the therapist said my mom just repeats that I'm lying and won't actually admit anything that happened, happened.

I think I'm extra skeeved out because my dad is a very traditional 50's style "no one will see me have feelings" guy and seeing him type "mommy" feels really, really, really loving gross and weird. Maybe he didn't write that email at all?

He might've copy-pasted from something your mother wrote.

Speaking of, I talked with my dad the other day over lunch and god is it freeing to hear him express some of the same concerns I have over my mom. It's just... It's nice to not be stewing in your ideas alone, you know?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Another was so offended at someone having plantation wedding that she loudly proclaimed all over facebook how horrible that was and that she wasn't going, but she didn't post it to her page, just on the pages of the five or six black ladies she knew from work. One of em called her out on it and she made it a whole thing.

Lemme guess, about how ungrateful people are and how she was just trying to do THE RIGHT THING but etc etc etc?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I got a copy via the author myself (PM me if you want a copy)

SCHOPPE-SULLIVAN, et al posted:

Data were drawn from the Understanding
Parental Estrangement Survey conducted by
the University of Wisconsin Survey Center in
2019. Parents were recruited from a listserv of
roughly 10,000 individuals who are experiencing
and interested in discussing parental estrange-
ment. The total sample included 1,630 partici-
pants, a majority of which (95%) had experienced
estrangement from one or more children. The
present study focused only on parents who iden-
tified as women (n = 1,035). To be eligible,
participants had to be able to read English. All
study procedures and materials were approved by
an independent Institutional Review Board. Par-
ents provided informed consent to participate in
the study. Incentives were not used.
Most mothers had been estranged from one
(n = 895; 71.03%) or two (n = 280; 22.22%)
children. Sixty-four percent (n = 659) were mar-
ried. Among these mothers, 363 (34.97%) re-
ported being married to or in a marriage-like
relationship with the estranged child’s biological
father. The median household income was
between $75,001 and $100,000 per year. The
median level of education for participants was
a bachelor’s degree, with 62.71% of mothers
having obtained at least a bachelor’s degree.
Most participants identified as White (94.20%;
n = 975). Participants were between the ages of
37 and 87 years (M = 63.93 years; SD = 7.23).
Mothers completed online surveys about their
experienceswithestrangement,includingendorse-
ment of common attributions for estrangement
(from their most recently estranged child, if they
were estranged from multiple children). Questions
were developed based on prior research (Carr
et al., 2015; Gilligan et al., 2015). Immediately
after these questions, mothers reported their
estranged child’s perceptions of them, and in
particular, the child’s complaints and accusa-
tions. Mothers also reported their contact with
the estranged child(ren).

Interesting that this confirmed my suspicion that a significant amount of estranged parents are white, though that may be a bias of the methodology (had to speak english, survey was online, etc)

For this group, this table is probably the biggest thing that would be seen as important:

Seems other spouses are a problem for estranged mothers.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

"I moved on, and you're just an extension of me, so you moved on too!" is some loving nutso thinking, but is clearly what is going on here.

Also, any time anyone says "<Specific type of> Family comes before anything", they're being an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Human trafficking maybe?

Interesting, because trafficing is real and does happen, but nobody's looking to traffic Shela and her three pugs from 1337 Who Gives A poo poo Street.