Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm conflicted as to whether to post this or not but over the course of this thread, I think it has been asked of people with positive parental experiences how it went down or what was different about it or how to be a good parent. I don't know the answer to any of this. I have a great relationship with my parents. I'm taking a break from packing right now to post this because I'm driving them halfway across the country to be a part of my brother's wife's retirement ceremony. It's going to be a good trip. I don't get to spend nearly as much time with them as I would like, though that may change now that I'm unemployed. We're bringing guitars for my father, my brother and I to play when we have a spare moment and art materials (weaving, sewing, some metalworking) for my mother, sister-in-law and I to share over coffee and while we cook. My sister-in-law, from the little she has told us, had a terrible family upbringing and has no contact with her parents. I'm not sure about the details because I never wanted to push her to talk about it and she didn't seem terribly forthcoming about it. What I do know is that she has adopted my parents as her own with a fervor that is sometimes startling. Her love for my parents over the years has made me appreciate the relationship I have with them so much more.

I really don't want to sound as if I'm lauding myself or my relationship with my parents. I'm lucky as loving hell. I landed in this family, I didn't choose to be here. My sister-in-law, however, did. I don't know what her circumstances were. Maybe one day she'll tell me more about it. Maybe not. I know she loves my brother and he loves her, and that we are a family and we all love each other and support each other. We're all broke and barely making ends meet and I don't know how she and my brother are going to make it with the poo poo retirement that they're going to get, but we're all going to make it happen for all of us somehow.

I don't even know where I'm going with this. Maybe I should have just taken this to E/N. Sorry. Just thought I'd throw a positive parental experience in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also Southerners thought the Cherokee were super-cool because they were a proud civilization unjustly suppressed by the federal government, and Confederacy stans like to think the Confederacy was also a proud civilization unjustly suppressed by the federal government.

Yep, that's pretty much it. The family members that I severed from years ago used to maintain both narratives at the same time and I don't need a DNA test to know that we don't have a significant enough amount of Indigenous American (Cherokee) heritage to claim, despite what they claim, but also I don't really want to celebrate the Confederate or Klan heroes that they want to maintain are in our "proud" family line.

There's a reason I severed from a huge chunk of my family as soon as I was cognizant enough to realize that was the best course of action to take.