Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Dr.D-O posted:

I know a boomer who is very far on the left side of the political spectrum, but not super preachy about it. Really nice woman, if a bit out of touch. She divorced her husband because he was an abusive misogynist. Her kid, now in his 20s, is basically a neo-nazi because the internet (and his estranged Dad) told him to resent his mother (+all women, +blacks, +jews, etc.).

He came into our office once, clicked the heels of his jackboots together, and threw a Roman salute.

Did you throw him out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Arcella posted:

The Greatest Generation went through the Great Depression and died en masse in WWII, and their children (Boomers) enjoyed unprecedented economic prosperity and unconcentrated wealth post-Gilded Age. This somehow makes Boomers experts on going through "tough times." Maybe the Gas Crisis? I dunno.

Well, I think their constant existential threat was a nuclear holocaust, as well as Vietnam. Plenty of men dying and getting life long sicknesses (to say nothing of civilians in southeast asia) in the name of American empire. Much like today. But the hard times that I can mostly think of in their generation are:

- Racism, which this woman obviously didn't suffer.

- The AIDS crisis, and she didn't suffer because of that, either.

But we get to suffer her generation's awful economic policies and overconsumption. We even have our own existential threat!