Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
What up all, OP here and as the parental holidays approach, if you need to just scream into the void or post a good cat or anything you need to just handle this time of year, don’t hesitate (as long as it’s legal). There’s also another thread for this in E/N but I truly do not give a poo poo if there’s overlap.

The period of “but they’re your X...” has begun and remember that “No”, “gently caress them”, “I owe them nothing” and “gently caress off” are complete sentences. You don’t need to slice yourself open and allow the gory details of lovely things come oozing out to justify estrangement. Parenthood isn’t a fast track to canonization, and you don’t need to worship that nonsense.

Regardless, goons, you are so very loved, and are deserving of of love. Take extra care of yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a tiny thing, and in no way equals the severity of most other things discussed in this thread, but I was just reminded of it, and so wanted to humblebrag about it.

My mum is a bit of a "Karen", insomuch as sending back food, being snippy to waitstaff, demanding perfect service, demanding to talk to the supervisor etc. There was even one instance with my sister-in-law when the two of them were out at a shopping centre cafe, and mum browbeat the poor 18 year old waitress, and then went behind the counter to make her own cup of tea because "they" weren't doing it right. My sister-in-law was mortified at the time, but it has now become a funny story to tell at family gatherings.

This always embarrassed me as a kid, and even to this day I cringe when I hear her tell stories of it. So I consciously went the other way. I do my best to be understanding and polite to the poor wage slave that is literally bringing me food etc.

So today I had an issue that required me to ring a call centre. As said, I always make an effort to be as polite and understanding as possible. So after the issue was resolved, I also make a point to thank them and tell them that they have been helpful, (if they have been), and wish them a nice day. It feels good to hear how often the person sitting at his computer in Mumbai, or Manila is surprised by this simple act of kindness. And having worked in retail I know how much that can sometimes help one get through the day.

But it got me thinking about how many of these Estranged Parents are like my mum. If they are that emotionally abusive to their own kids, how bad must they be to service staff? Or do they put on an overly nice persona and save the meanness for behind closed doors? If they complain about their "ungrateful daughter only sent me a 1 line text on Mothers day, that spiteful bitch!!!", what must they do/say/think about the Arby's waitress who is a little late with their steak, and forgot to smile?

Also, and this has been answered many times in this thread, but I will ask it again, do the children of these abusive arsehole parents learn these bad habits, or do they try to go the other extreme?

Regarding EPs being lovely to workers, I feel there’s a Venn diagram with a huge overlap between lovely to workers and lovely to family with little slivers as outliers.

Regarding the continuation of lovely behavior, honestly it’s a split. Y’know how you get those types that pontificate “my parents hit me as a child and I was fine!” and you immediately know that dear god they’re anything but? That frightens me. That cycle doesn’t stop until someone monkeywrenches it to a halt, and that takes strength. Unlearning unhealthy behaviors feels like writing with your non dominant hand when your dominant hand wants to strangle you throughout.

Happily, I think Karenism will change with the generations as it’s now sslloooowwllyy being rightfully shamed to be a dick to people who are doing their job. Additionally, millennials and gen z see themselves in that position because oftentimes...they are.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

jw, is the thread title based on something a real person said?

No, just some shitposting

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Nice!! Hell, rarely does anyone own up to lovely behavior and especially lovely behavior done to a child. And confronting your father and trying to be as neutral and restrained must have been incredibly taxing, all power to you for even attempting that, I couldn’t ever imagine what that feels like.

I’m happy for happy stories here as well! it’s a nice breath of fresh air

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rat posted:

It saddens me because I know anyone that gets with me is not going to be inheriting a functional or loving family, and I feel terrible that I can't offer that to a partner

You are not your family however, and anyone worth their salt will recognize this from jump street.

Alternatively you can be in my current situation where it’s a goddamn standoff as to which family is more off the charts. NPD Dad scarred by unaddressed childhood trauma vs. “Even for the early 80s, you are absolutely negligent” Mom!

But sincerely, they will love YOU, not your family.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like a massive rear end in a top hat asking this but what is it with nurses?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

*Johnny Cash voice* Hi my name is hurt

[Looking in the mirror like Diane Ladd in Wild at Heart] Hi hurt I’m mom

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Still catching up on the thread, but I fully expect to see my father ending up on that forum (or somewhere similar), after severing with him on Tuesday. With a recent divorce and my sister still apparently on my side, he's not going to be able to disparage me to anyone else but my brother otherwise. So I guess I'll share my severance a little, if it's not too E/N.

It had been a long time coming (he has never really quite handled my coming out in a... clean manner. I was already seriously considering not inviting him to my (eventual) wedding to my girlfriend anyway), but it still feels. Weird? I don't really know how to process it.

It sounded mutual, but I fully expect him to try to pitch a fit at me when I don't reach out for his birthday/Father's day soon and beg forgiveness. But, I'm gonna hold firm. He should be proud of that. Even though he basically abandoned me and my mother for the army for years, he always tried to teach me to stand firm to my convictions. But, because it isn't his convictions, he won't be. But, I'm done. I'm done with hoping that one day he'll stop talking over me and acting like he loves me but never being able to be the one in the wrong when he hurts me. Always "I'm not homophobic but" when I've told him that I've faced hate crimes and I need REAL support.

So, I guess I'm in this club now. Trying to decide if I want to go through the huge hassle of changing my last name. But, the line has been crossed for the last time, and I know I want nothing more to do with him. And I still haven't told my mother because she's in the middle of nowhere with no cell service due to covid.

(For context, my father is a cop. I am a queer woman--not fully sure on my label--and I have a strong sense of justice for the oppressed. Not just because I'm part of a minority, but because I don't want people to suffer. Not to cross-post topics, but recent events. He decided that he would rather side with the cops that abuse their power than a woman who was hurt by them and has seen loved ones hurt and mistreated by them--even if that woman is white--even if its his own daughter. He condemned me for even daring to say that I've been hurt, that innocent people have been hurt, and that it needs to stop. I fully expect there will be a ton of newly estranged parents on forums in the coming weeks...)

:hug: it’s a ok to share. you get to feel that pain, it’s confusing and enraging but perfectly legitimate. you want your own family to understand your struggle and not be so goddamn solipsistic, or at least in my case. but regardless, do what you gotta do to survive, and if it means posting here, do so. we got you.

And you touch on a point I’ve thought about in some form. An uptick in not even estrangement, but parents being put in their position where they must think about the safety of their kids in a way they have had the privilege to not think about for themselves...and totally eschewing it for the taste of sweet boot leather. I’m no loving stranger to that but if anyone knows of resources offhand, let me know, cause I know there’s going to be a lot of people who are experiencing it for the first time.

And gently caress, regardless of lovely parents, be carful and take care of your heads y’all. This hell chapter is doing a number on a lot of people.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Found this from the r/r thread

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

im permaestranged mother mommydearest58. i first started reading mommy blogs when i was about 42. by 44 i got really obsessed with the concept of “tough love” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “at 13 the gloves come off” and “i'll keep destroying it until you do it right” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Well, shiiiiiiiit

I was thinking a few days ago on maybe making a discord for more “let’s all commiserate and post cats and chill” but I have zero energy these days to learn how to moderate a discord.

However, should someone wish to take up that endeavor, shoot me a PM on your thoughts.

In the interim, post as per ush, and treat yourself to something nice. What a goddamn shitshow of a year.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hey y’all

Just a heads up if y’all aren’t aware. Turns out Forums Dad is also now an estranged parent and just...idk. Like I shouldn’t be surprised that he’s a terrible father but Christ. Seeing the screen cap of Lauren’s text is hurting me deep. I really hope she’s ok. I’ve been on the receiving end of many a self centered, “somehow I am the victim” text from a lovely dad and in my late 20s I can barely handle that. and knowing that a kid got that???

I hope she grows up to be an amazing strong person who her father will pale in comparison to. Or better yet, happy and healthy. Living well is the best revenge.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

chaser lowtax posted:

wheres the screenshot?

It’s in the GBS disaster thread...which is a needle in a haystack except it’s a lot of goatse. If anyone beats me in posting it kindly put it behind a spoiler

E: second thought, actually be careful posting it as some mods are banning for it. If anything, if one were to acquire it and perhaps transmit it, should someone wish to, it is entirely out of my hands, as I cannot control that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

A dedicated SA Rejected Parents Discord has been set up and is in the early stages of getting required channels and permissions together before we (teen witch and myself) start sharing it on here. Obviously things are very up in the air right now and nobody knows whether to stay or go, but we're setting up the place at the moment in case this Lowtax-ownership-transfer thing falls through.

And I truly appreciate it being set up! I’d maybe ETA it sometime this week but yes! Even if things with El Jeffery works, hey let’s just chat with friends on the net!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
:siren: dm for discord deets, don’t forget to lmk who you are or else idk, don’t come in? :siren:

E: no plat? justifiable - email me at someawfulwitch at gee male dot calm with your SA name

teen witch fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 30, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Forums ain’t collapsing, just some assholes marriages, relationships and spine.

Welcome friendo!

Also! If anyone has requested an invite to the discord, send it once more!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Iirc Daniel has discussed this prior and yeah, they’re estranged

https://twitter.com/daniel_m_lavery/status/1224119384374939648?s=20

Also this WaPo article on Lavery has a quote that rings true to myself about estrangement that cool, can’t copy and paste but it’s towards the end

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...de99_story.html

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

So I just learned about perhaps the most depressing subreddit. https://twitter.com/AKovacCTV/status/1292471340210032640?s=19

Yoinked from the IoSM thread but how much overlap do you propose these estranged parents and these Q parents have? How concerning is that Venn diagram?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, I’m going to nip this in the bud right here about KM. I have little to negative desire to import going’s on elsewhere here - y’all can find the threads and follow them respectively.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
What up y’all???

Seeing as the imminent heat death of the worldMisery Election is nigh, I was wondering if it would be helpful or make sense if to have a politics focused thread on “the person who raised me is spouting fascist garbage” “my childhood best friend is a Nazi” “my sister the tradwife” and what not. The political is personal for a lot of us, even if ~decorum~ dictates that we must be above taking direct and imminent threats to our well being seriously.

We can still talk about lovely estranged parents who have bad views here but I guess the potential thread will be similar in grieving on how to deal with people and the lovely feelings it can bring (or relief if you cut them out!).

Let me know your thoughts

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Shugojin posted:

what like some kind of Estrangement: 2020 Election Special Edition?

Sorta! I’m not going to limit it to US politics, but more of a “I’ve lost so and so to some fuckin brainworms” type poo poo

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hi all!

I made the thread about close ones and politics and wanting to scream

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938820&perpage=40&noseen=1

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ugh, seems my dad as an IG now. cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool bbblocked.

my auntie can see my hedonistic godless lifestyle and filter it through to him. have fun.

can’t wait to warn my boyfriend. he’s estranged from his mom so this is pretty simple.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
a. for all those having to see a lovely persons true colors today, remember that the block buttons are free and should be used freely. don’t feel ashamed.

b. I went looking for a thing on IG and oh god they’re on IG too. I just saw the term “forgiveness coach” and folks, I’m ready to seal my rear end in a top hat shut with superglue, what the drat hell.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father insisted for over a year that you need to turn a cell phone off to hang it up and always wondered why he never got any calls.

Ok that’s kind of hilarious, not gonna lie. Infuriating if someone is trying to get in contact with you but good lord dude

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The intent of the article is good, but as the audience is likely “parent ignoring legitimate issues”, the author is circling around the heart of the matter as to not offend the audience. You can’t say “you were a poo poo parent, keep your kid in the will, you fucko”, it won’t play well. You need to butter them up as if they’re doing a noble thing instead of the bare minimum.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I swear to god if you start in with this poo poo again..

You already know I’m the illest biatch! :woop:

Nonetheless, reign it in. Not the thread for it Clam

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Being lovely to your daughter, as a bit.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kissekatt posted:

Regular beans are good, but in my (Swedish) experience at least baked beans tend to be very diluted and sugary/carby. Maybe there are national differences? Looking at one, admittedly cheap, brand now and a 420 g tin contains roughly 360 kcal, 59 g of carbs, 16 g of protein, 5 g of salt and a decent amount of fiber at 15 g. Not the worst thing you can eat, but going by macronutrients pistachios are probably better for you if you manage to feel sated on them and don't overeat.

Once in a blue moon I’ll see baked beans from the states which is usually more BBQy/brown sugar (kind of like mörksirap?) than the Swedish ones which are usually like the British ones, more tomato.

Regardless of origin, it’s ok for a meal for a kid in a pinch but like, if your child is dealing with low blood sugar and doesn’t know how to use a can opener, and is clearly in need of assistance for fucks sake loving help your kid. Have your learning experience when she isn’t about to faint. gently caress!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hello goons!!!

I’ll be crossposting this a bit so apologies if it’s like “ugh this bitch again”

Feels Good Man, a documentary on Matt Furie and him trying to take back his work, posted this which may be of interest or at least adjacent to this thread. It doesn’t necessarily have to be someone pilled, but those who are affected by it as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKUSEakFJ1Y/?igshid=nmuk6f440agc

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Wiggy Marie posted:

What is the term for the "helpful third party" relative who reaches out to estranged children on behalf of the estranged parent? I was trying to explain to my mom earlier that this is what she does to my cousins on behalf of their terrible mother but I couldn't remember or find the actual term.

Flying monkey?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Clitch posted:

I don't know where I heard it. Maybe here, but the saying goes: If you've lost an arm, and you meet someone who's lost both arms, you're still missing an arm.

Even if you found it on a laffy taffy wrapper, that statement is going into the ol mental Rolodex. It explains something (unrelated) I couldn’t explain before

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ograbme posted:

drat it, another letter from a collections agency about the delinquent cable TV account my stepdad set up using my SS#.

Uh, that’s no poo poo identity theft and will haunt you and gently caress you over. Take that power back and yes it’s a Reddit link but 100 percent sincerity you NEED to take action on this

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/wiki/identity_theft

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Weird as it sounds, I kind of like it in GBS. We may not be finding stories on the net but we’re kind of poking into each other’s stories. It’s like an odd little oasis on The Worst Forum.

Also there was a thread in E/N that p much died.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I changed the title FOR YOUR OWN GOOD DONT YOU LOVE YOUR MOM BUT FAMILY

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Also lol wow were the sixth result for “estranged parents forum” and they put the actual forum behind a login wall.

And they said I’d never make something of myself

E: oh hello most depressing Pinterest board ever how are you!!!

https://www.pinterest.com/therealredsix/rejected-parentsgrandparents/

Some highlights

teen witch fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 21, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh god the confluence of estranged parents and Pinterest is loving :cursed:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I watch the show Intervention and while it’s pretty loving exploitative about 80 percent of the time, every once in a while there’s an episode that is a huge “oh holy gently caress” one.

The 1st episode of the 22nd season episode very much one of them, and since I’m posting it here, you can guess as to why. Just actual no poo poo examples in the flesh of poo poo I’ve dealt with with my parent, the gaslighting, the immediate circumvention of any sort of responsibility, the emotional explosions.

I won’t go into it any further as to not spoil it (and it’s a loving doozy) but if you can stomach it, I highly recommend watching. It feels oddly validating to watch this? Like I’m not alone I guess, although in an entirely different context. Anyone else get this?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh what the gently caress we get it you hosed up your kids lives via your behaviors, leave others alone

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If it’s for security I’m fine for it being in e/n.

Also lol the RP forum is not accepting new members so I’m thinking a nerve has been hit. All this for parental failings. Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Actually I found this video might help parents understand where we’re coming from