Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Haifisch posted:

I can't remember her leaning on me for emotional support or venting until I was an adult(and even then that didn't really start until I was out of college); all the support flowed from her to me, not vice-versa.

Hell, same, from another lurker that really doesn't belong in this thread. My dad died when I had just turned 13, almost in my mother's arms (cerebral thrombosis, but he had a cancer in late stages anyway). I know she struggled for emotional support in the next months, not being really a sociable person. My grandma while not abusive could feature a bit in this thread so no support there either. It was some years ago I really grasped how the thing got, and she never ever leaned on me or gave me some "we are equals" bullshit, and I respect her all the more for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Can I ask the normal-parent-havers in the thread a serious question? Does your parent(s) tell you you owe them your life because they birthed you? Is that normal/healthy up to a certain point, and it's only bad if it gets "...and you are my indentured servant and my only friend, good thing I had a kid to look after me"-level, or do you think any "I brought you into this world, therefore you literally owe me your life" is weird/not okay?

Good parent haver here: no, not ever, and I am sure that thought didn't even cross their minds. I don't think that kinda attitude is healthy, at any grade, kids ain't your property and that sounds manipulative at hell tbh.