Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
YESSSSSSS. Thanks OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So I'm kinda confused, are we making fun of these old people or the children? I've read some of the posts and they seem uhhh not weird or strange. Maybe I'm an idiot, which is true honestly.

The context of this is that these are actually really abusive people, which becomes evident after they post approximately 100 different piecemeal accounts of terrorizing literally everyone around them. This is an ALOD. These are not actually people who have been abandoned by their children; in fact, they run off people who post in ways that go against the forum culture just like on Reddit.

It is not even allowed to speculate about valid reasons your child might actually have - which is a common coping mechanism for people who are actually experiencing unfounded estrangement. This is a forum not for people who are struggling to find meaning after a trauma, but for people interested in sharing in violent fantasies about ungrateful offspring. For example:

aww posted:

I suppose I should introduce myself as I’ve been lurking around here off and on for a few years now. My story is quite different from most on here as my ex turned my son against me when he was still in grade school so when we split up a year or so later, my son moved in with his cousin and REFUSED to live with me so I had to let him live with his father. My ex taught him that I was ‘the old biddie’ and he didn’t have to do anything I said making discipline impossible. That was 30+ years ago. I’m a devout Christian so I have done all I can to try to restore the relationship but it’s very strained at best. We do have a relationship but it’s all at his choosing, and one wrong word out of me, and he stops speaking to me. Fortunately I don’t get nasty texts or emails, in fact, I don’t get anything unless I initiate it. I’m to the point of realizing that when he told me years ago that he really doesn’t want a relationship with me, he meant it and all my groveling to him does not make him love me more. I just ordered the book as I’m to the point of realizing that I have to move on with my life and stop thinking somehow, some way we’re going to have a wonderful relationship if I just show him that I love him. I’ve killed myself to show him that–and I think he genuinely knows I do, but can’t be bothered. I’ve seen him once in almost 8 years. The funny thing about this whole sad situation is that he treats his dad as poorly as he treats me. He married into a very wealthy family and I think that has a lot to do with how he treats his dad who was a blue collar worker. Anyway, it’s nice to know I’m not alone, and while I do have contact with my son, I’m constantly on edge as one wrong word can get me banished again. He refused to speak to me for 9 months several years ago for something I said.

hmm posted:

I’m sorry you’re going through this.

I believe personality is basically inborn to a greater or lesser extent, and while nurturing impacts it, genetics is so strong that it’s almost impossible to change.

I have a sister who I believe has borderline traits–I don’t know if she’s full-on borderline, but she has most of the traits. Sadly, I’m estranged from her for the 4th time in 25 years. I see a lot of how she responds when I upset her in the posts on her about the verbal abuse and the like, especially telling me to never contact her again.

I believe a great deal of estrangement is related to various personality disorders, but I also believe it’s getting much worse as parental rights and roles have changed over the years to where parents now live to give their child a perfect life unlike when I was growing up in the 60s. The child is now the de-facto boss and wields all the power in the family with threats of estrangements. I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone….

oh posted:

All of our children would do to remember this quote that kids used to know by heart: ‘honor your father and mother that your days may be long on the earth’ Ex 20:12.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally, I read several of the person's posts and make an initial determination that they are an unreliable narrator or not. I haven't posted any where it didn't become obvious after several to dozens of posts where they reveal things like: being barred from a church for being a child predator after their daughter showed the pastor proof; being mysteriously estranged from every relative by biology and marriage; having a history of runins with CPS that they claim can only be explained by the boomer equivalent of gangstalking.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

oh that's not a neg on you mas, it's more about the phenomenon overall. actually it's broader and more general than that, even, which is lovely people are super good at borrowing the rhetoric of real problems so... this is like the nuclear version of that

s/o to barudak tho who has correctly identified in the past that living in a family like this makes you good at pleasing your boss in soul-crushing white collar jobs

They really are. I’m honestly a lot more interested in the perspectives of the “kids.” They often allude to the kids using psychiatric language in an attempt to explain the abuse to their parents. Which suggests of course that they are experiencing ongoing damage at the hands of their parents.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LabyaMynora posted:

I'm fascinated by how many of these NPD parents describe themselves as "devout Christians."

I actually find that one of the least surprising thing about them. Authoritarians love Christianity. These people are probably genuinely bewildered when their churches go against the grain by doing the right thing and supporting their abused children in severing. It is FAR more common that churches traffic in unconditional forgiveness rhetoric. Many church leaders are too afraid to invite questions into their own conduct to be allies of abused congregants.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InediblePenguin posted:

These old people are not reliable narrators. At the start of the thread multiple people linked the Issendai blog which should really be required reading before engaging with the actual link in the O P I think; it very clearly and understandably discusses these kinds of posts and shows you how and why to notice the unreliable narration Etc

Yeah, OP what do you think about adding the required reading and context bit?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobbie Wickham posted:

LOL, the majority of people who have BPD (or another personality disorder) developed it as a result of their parents'/caretakers' abuse. If your kid has BPD, it's because you gave it to them. Not speaking to their children would be the kindest thing they could do.

That’s funny because that is their favorite armchair diagnosis, along with bipolar and NPD (which many of them probably actually have.)

I need to excavate it but one of them that I can remember proposed a diagnostic for the specific disease of hating your elder parents enough to leave them “for no reason.”

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Atari posted:

BPD isn't so easily 'dealt with'. Maintaining a relationship with someone who has it will often mean taking constant abuse and bullying while simultaneously being blamed for everything. There is no level of submission to abuse, of onesided unreciprocated kindness, patience and love that will safely satisfy someone with BPD. The parents could be storybook perfect and putting themselves into debt to pay the kids bills and they will still get accused of being horrible exploiters and abusers. Even if the kid isnt personally violent that can be a dangerous situation, since they might slander the parents into violent or legal reprisal over entirely imagined slights, even as they have completely mentally broken themselves trying to please the kid.

Of course, it's impossible to tell if the parents are reliable narrators and they could just be labelling their child as BPD to explain away what is actually completely rational behaviour. In general though pretty much the only cases where the parents can be considered sympathetic is where the child has a personality disorder or has been a drug addict over a sustained period of time. Some of those sympathetic cases wind up on the estranged parent forums looking for help and either find a temporary home (assuming the other posters situation reflects their own before realising it does not) or get warped by the toxic culture.

I think they bank on this because it gives them cover. I think that’s part of why they spend so much time gassing each other up too. They “defend” other people as an outlet for their vitriol.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I’m happy I made you laugh Suki
I had a good chuckle when he said it to me and we all need to
laugh our way through this.

So……..

Any funny stories you’d like to share???

I told my daughter once when I was sooooo angry with
her:
” I’m coming over there to beat you with a shovel.”
She told me later how furious she was I’d said that.

I had a miniature shovel which I mailed to her with a note attached,
“I don’t know why a little shovel upsets you so much”.

My son would have cracked up, she never mentioned it.
Thank God I have one normal kid.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“I started having dreams about sweet little puppies and then kittens, and then babies being devoured by a large group of people. I believe these were dreams about my son. “

quote:

Hi
Some of you may know my story–it’s not unique. My son married a girl who was wonderful to my husband and me as his girlfriend but changed dramatically after they got engaged. Because of this and my son’s unwillingness to have a relationship with us unless we accept his wife and her mother’s abusive, lying behavior, we have been “outed.” We did not see him or our only GD for eight months. Then as I posted several weeks ago, out of the blue we got a formal invitation to our GD 1st birthday party. Sheri had some very good advice; my pastor and friends had a lot of good advice, too, which I faithfully followed.

But, unfortunately, I have another story filled with disappointment, and I’m so very, very sad that I feel I will not be able to get over it this time.

We went to the party not knowing what to expect with the knowledge that we were “the bast…s” at the family reunion. She has a very, very enmeshed family. We have little. Our daughter is on the other side of the country, as is my husband’s sister. Our parents are long gone. My son doesn’t speak to my only surviving brother, but we have a lot of friends. None of our friends were invited to this VFW hall where they had the party. Of course, it was filled with all of her family and friends. My husband’s cousin was invited (none of mine were) and we sat with her family.

My husband said hello to our DIL (I avoided her). My husband said hello to her mother (I avoided her). I am a very loving Christian women who has been struggling very hard to forgive these two women, but I do not want to be in the presence of someone who abuses me, so I just stayed away from the abusers.

Our GD did not know us. She was very cranky, and did not want to let either of us hold her. My son was the only one who could console her. He was polite with us, but it broke my heart to see the sadness in his eyes. I had brought some Halloween and Christmas decorations I wanted to give to him, so after the party he came out to the car to get them. He looked at me with the saddest expression and said I’ll call you, but I know it won’t happen. And even if it does, nothing will change.

I’ve read before in this community how other women feel that their sons have been “abducted by aliens” or “joined a cult.” I feel exactly the same way. When he got married and the DIL and her mother started their pattern of controlling him and abusing me, I could see him slipping away. When things that the mother were doing weren’t enough, she started making up lies. When this recent event that caused the estrangement occurred last July, I started having dreams about sweet little puppies and then kittens, and then babies being devoured by a large group of people. I believe these were dreams about my son. And he is gone to me now.

After three months of marriage my DIL insisted that they move in with her mother and father. They emptied her condo, stored her furniture, and left it empty (as they continued to pay the mortgage) for one year until they sold the place and bought a house. My husband and I spent considerable money helping them out in buying the place and working on it (all unappreciated). They have lived in it 20 months, and now yesterday I find out that her mother and father sold their house and moved in with them!!

I was up all night crying (I guess I’m Not Done With the Crying yet), and I have been breaking down all day today. My daughter asked me this morning if I was glad I went so I could see my GD, and I can’t even say it was worth it. My heart is broken yet again, and I just don’t know how to get over it.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah I don’t understand why some random anime site keeps being linked as the ultimate authority on estrangement but here we are. I guess after you’re done reading about estrangement you can check out the jrpg reviews or read about how to make “Miso Soup for the Otaku Soul”.

It is not an ultimate authority, but it is one source instead of many that is comprehensive and also explains the data that was used. To be clear, Issendai is a content expert on that particular internet forum we are mining from, not on the phenomenon of estranged parenthood.

I’d also be super interested in complicating or contradicting what that one person says with evidence from the forum. But maybe not just because of the website name?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Progression:

quote:

Your post was so very sad, and it could have been one of mine! My son, too, told me and his father that he loves us, but he feels he must stand by his wife (who is toxic, and we believe narcissistic) because he now has the responsibility of being not just a husband, but a father, too. Unfortunately, he has participated along with his wife in using their daughter as a weapon to get me to continue taking his wife’s abuse. I refuse to do that, so consequently, I haven’t seen my only GD in six months.

There are few ways we can describe how our sons are “taken over” to people who haven’t gone through this. It’s as if he’s a stranger to me now. Nothing I say, nothing his father says gets through to him. In my case the DIL has a very large, very enmeshed family. The first thing my son said to me when he started dating this girl was that she had a very controlling mother. Well, she is not only controlling, but a liar and a manipulator. When I pointed out to him one day how he had specifically told me that this woman was very controlling, his exact words were: “Well I love her now.” OMG, right?

[b[I know that my son is not strong enough to challenge his wife. He could never challenge anyone. My husband and I saw a therapist about this issue, and after describing our son to him, the therapist said that our son was “at risk” for being manipulated by a stronger women. See, he was always in Special Ed, got harassed a lot by the neighborhood kids, and became a real “pleaser” just to have friends.
It’s really disturbing that with this problem we might hope for the marriage to break up so we can have our sons back.[/b] That’s not what I want for him, but I can’t help feeling that way sometimes. I do believe that we are right to stand up for ourselves and find peace wherever we can find it. And like Einnov56, I feel that I cannot go back to a toxic relationship with the manipulative, passive aggressive, controlling person that is my DIL. I’m thankful for my loving, supportive daughter.

As far as triggers go, the only way I can deal with them is to actually experience the pain and then step back and let it go. I know that sounds almost crazy, but it’s become the way I’ve dealt with all of this. I just don’t know what else to do. This is going to hurt, until it doesn’t so much anymore. I lost a baby brother to leukemia and my first husband to the horrors of Vietnam; and even though this is WORSE, I just keep telling myself that like those tragedies, I will get through this.

I had a suspicion, after reading this, that something had happened between the grandmother and the granddaughter precipitating the "estrangement" and control by the daughter-in-law. You tell me what you think:

quote:

Hello Dear Swoosh
Welcome to the forum. I say that even though I wish with all my heart that none of us had the need for this support group.
I will tell you my recent experience and give you my thoughts, but ultimately the decision will come down to whether or not you think you are strong enough to endure what may turn out to be a disappointing event. My H and I started noticing a pulling away of our ES when he became engaged to his wife of 3 years. There have been a few things that we chose to ignore involving things she and her mother said about me or both of us to our son that caused trouble. Then about seven months ago at our GD’s (one and only grandchild) christening, our son and his wife took offense at a gift we gave. Long story short, we have not been able to work things out–mostly because our DIL refuses to apologize or take any responsibility for what she said and did. We have been “estranged” since then.

Then recently out of the blue we were invited to our GD’s first birthday party. I believe it was just to save face with her large family. Like your husband, mine said we must go. It was EXTREMELY difficult for me. I talked to my pastor, therapist, friends, and listened to the words and advice posted here. And it took a few tranquilizers to get through the party. It was disappointing. It was not an opportunity to reconcile. Our GD doesn’t know us any longer and cried out of fear when I tried to hold her. And now two weeks later, I am still pretty much back to square one of pain and grief.

If you truly care for your niece, and you have a lot of support within your family (we did not because most of them are dead, and our daughter lives across the country) you may be fine. If it were me, I wouldn’t try to engage with her, however. I would smile and say hi. Then I would try to enjoy as much as I could by pretending she wasn’t there. Believe me, I know it’s easy to say. Only you can decide how difficult it is to do.

You may see this as an opportunity to see your family and be part of your niece’s wedding. After all, you have every right! It might be a bad thing to isolate yourself from others. But it depends really on how much you feel you can handle. Best of luck in your decision-making process. Whatever you do–do it for yourself.
God bless.

in response to a thread called "it didn't start with you" posted:

Hi All,
This is a very interesting topic to me, and I enjoyed all of your comments. My daughter (who is the love of my life and not the EC) is the daughter of my first husband whose family was filled with nothing but tragedy. He, in fact, was a disabled veteran from the Vietnam conflict and died at a very young age. She has always been a kind, soft soul who has suffered from on and off again depression, but thank God has been doing well for years. Unfortunately, she is across the country from me. She never wanted to get married and have children, and she never did.

And while my husband’s family is intact and everything always seemed fine, they have had their share of tragedies. My family on the other hand (first generation Italian immigrants) is filled with scapegoating, cheating one another, and estrangement.

But most significant is that I have been told I’m an empath by a therapist years ago. Not only was my mother diagnosed with BPD, but now my DIL, it seems, has many of the same characteristics of both NPD and BPD. I guess I was just primed to be abused.

I don’t want to be abused anymore! Thank you all for your words of wisdom.

quote:

SummerDaisy,
Sounds like you have a smart daughter! GettingStronger, I am facing the same thing with my son’s birthday next week.We have been estranged now for eight months with several attempts at reconciliation. The problem centers around his wife. And while there was absolutely no problem with our son prior, my husband, daughter, and I all agree that since he married into this family with a horribly controlling wife and MIL, he is not the same person.

I honestly don’t know what I will do for his birthday. He actually called me two weeks ago. We talked about his new job and our GD who is 13 months old now. I was babysitting for her up until eight months ago when my DIL caused the split. He told me he misses me and loves me. But then I had the audacity to suggest a family mediator to settle our problems (all caused by his wife) and we haven’t heard from him since.

I just thank God for Sheri’s book and this website. In fact, I recommended it to a friend just today. It’s disgraceful, but we seem to be living in a time when it’s easy to toss aside your parents.

quote:

Dear HoneyBee60
My heart goes out to you. What you did took tremendous courage and strength. I don’t even have the words to express how it makes me feel. You will be in my thoughts all day.

I had a similar situation at Christmas time when my ES drove with his 10 month old daughter (my only GC who prior to the split I babysat one full day per week) to pick up his sister who was visiting from across the country. He pulled up in front of the house, beeped, and my daughter went into his car. It was all I could do to control myself. I would have rather been stabbed with a large knife. It sure has felt over and over again throughout these eight months that my miserable DIL and her controlling, sick mother have stuck a knives into my back.

God bless you. Stay strong.

quote:

Hello to all. My husband and I were away for a couple of days, so I am just getting to this post now. I was thinking about starting a Mothers’ Day post, I am glad it’s already here.

This is my first MD with this problem, too. Since both my mother and mother-in-law rest in peace, my daughter is across the country, and my ES apparently has a new mother now, I decided to fly out the coop. I am going to visit a very good friend who recently moved far away. All of her sons live in other states, so she will be alone too.

To be honest, even if we weren’t estranged, I would be in a quandary about this MD anyway. Let me tell you what happened last year. It was the first MD for my DIL–the baby being three months old. So I proposed to my son that we all go out to a restaurant together–her parents, him and wife, me and husband. He squirmed a little and said “…no they were going to go to the racetrack, just the three of them.” I had asked my close group of friends what I should get her for MD. Since my DIL liked massages and I had gotten them for her before, they suggested I buy her a gift certificate for a massage with someone near my home with an offer of babysitting and lunch afterwards. This way, they surmised, I would get to spend time with my granddaughter. I wish you could have seen her face when I gave her the gift. She looked disgusted, tossed the card across the table, and NEVER USED IT. Then on MD I saw posted all over FB pictures of my son, my GD, her, her mother and aunts AT THE TRACK together. I never said anything to my son or her because I tried very, very hard not to create conflict. Yea, lots of good it did me.

I love what wrkgmom said about celebrating the fact that we survived motherhood. I also agree with the suggestions of Seafarer. We all deserve something very special, let’s all try to enjoy the day. Best wishes to all…

quote:

Hello to all the wonderful, compassionate women in this forum. I tried to escape Mothers’ Day by taking a trip (alone) to see a very close friend who recently moved to another state. And although we enjoyed a great time together, Mothers’ Day loomed ever present over my head. I got back from my trip yesterday to yet more estrangement trauma.

My friend has four sons who live in other states and outside the country, but everyone of them called his mom. Not me. I got nothing from my son. However, it was on MD that my husband decided to tell me that he took his aunt’s advice and wrote our ES a letter. Months ago after several emails to our ES we decided that it wasn’t a good idea to write to him because we thought his wife was reading the emails and controlling his responses. He completely ignored this as well as my advice to not write again. In this letter he pretty much groveled and begged our ES to get in touch with me on MD. He was so angry that he did not write, call, or text that he said he wanted to beat him up. Now, anyone who knows my husband knows that it takes an awful lot to get him that angry. He also told me that his aunt decided that her, her daughter and SIL were going to my ES’s house today to talk to him. My husband argued very strongly against it, but she went anyway.

Then on my first full day back his aunt called and started demanding that we had to get past all this and ignore what happened. She kept saying “do you want an apology or a granddaughter?” She basically has no clue what really happened and has no idea what we want. Waiting for an apology was not primary. Our DIL was abusive to me, her mother lied about me, our ES over and over again promised we would work it out then refused to, he lied to us several times, he told us we could not see our GD without his wife being there and only at their house, his wife yelled at my husband; the list of their awful behavior just goes on and on. In our last conversation I suggested a mediator and he went “dark” for two months, refusing all my texts and calls. And now this clueless woman interjected herself into this mess and got me and my husband all upset. My husband hung up the phone on her and she called a few hours later and left a message that basically said we must go over to ES house or we’re in the wrong.

Oh, and did I mention that the DIL’s parents now live in my son’s house. It’s not bad enough that my son is married to a controlling, twisted women with BPD/NPD, her evil mother and puppet father have been living with them for five months now. I can’t see myself going to my ES house when he has behaved so badly, along with his horrible wife, and equally horrible MIL just to see my GD who doesn’t even know us any longer. She was in our lives for only five months when our DIL got angry because of our Christening gift ($500 in a Guardian Account) and the fact that I explained it to my son in front of her family.
My son has been married 3 1/2 years and 2 1/2 of them he has lived with his in-laws! This woman (the DIL) is so sickeningly enmeshed with her family, and her mother wants total control over the entire family. She has tried twice before to eliminate me.

It just seems that every time I make some progress and feel good again, something happens (involving my ungrateful ES and hateful DIL) to turn my world upside down.

Anyway, it was not my intention to ramble on. I wanted you to know that every day I checked in with the forum, but I forgot to bring my password so I could not respond to anything anyone wrote. There was so much I wanted to say but couldn’t! First I want to thank Sheri for her thoughtful email. And to the numerous mothers who suffered through the holiday I want to give you all a big hug and say WE SURVIVED SISTERS. My heart will forever be broken for all of us. Everyone of your stories is tragic. In addition to you all, there are at least four friends in my life who are suffering with this problem. It is indeed an epidemic. I also wanted to mimic what was said about how this problem is now not just a western civ problem. My Indian doctor told me it has happened in her family and that not that long ago it was unthinkable.

Thank you all for being here. I hope we all have better days ahead. Love and peace to all of you.

Custodial Account Vs. Guardian Account posted:

Custodial accounts and guardian accounts both involve handling finances for those who are not able to manage their own money, but they fall under different legal guidelines and have separate purposes. Custodial accounts are investment accounts for children, and guardian accounts are for those who need help with their financial transactions due to a disability.

Gee, I wonder why your son who you all but call a retard in 80% of your posts would be offended by this?

As for everyone living together: I speculate that they are in fact not very well off, in part because the son has had to cut off his parents. Son, shockingly, actually likes his in laws, and his inlaws help take care of the child. The living together is a temporary situation saving money for something better, but NarGram will never know that because no one wants her to know anything.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Finding the smoking gun in these is kind of delightful, it's like solving a murder mystery. I didn't see it at all in your bolded posts, then you mentioned she thinks her kid is super slow, and the clues are all there:

- Gives gift that offends daughter-in-law, but doesn't say what the gift is
- Mentions son was in special education and this caused him a lot of strife
- Gift turns out to be $500 in a fund that is specifically made for people who are too disabled to do their own banking

Well sleuted

My day job involves close reading. At night I use my powers for Pettiness.

Edit:

their last post, thus far posted:

Dearest BeHere4Me
Thank you so much for your kind words. Every once in a while I feel I need validation on this point. It is truly incomprehensible for me, my husband, my daughter, my closest friends, and a few therapists to understand this kind of behavior. UNLESS you couch it into the idea that they are some how VICTIMS. Victims of cruel, thoughtless parents. When my DILFH called to tell me off she actually said, “….is our daughter and we will take care of her as we see fit.” Now, how stupid was saying that to me? It turns out that they never even called their bank to check to see if I was telling the truth about the restrictions of the account. They just preferred to assume I was making it up!!!

The only way they could toss us aside was if they believed they were victims. During this mess of estrangement and attempts at reconciliation at one point my ES said to me, “…you didn’t even want to come to the hospital when the baby was being born.” It was all I could do to keep from wrestling him to the floor and punching the crap out of him. His wife was due in March. He didn’t want my husband and I to visit our daughter during the month of March so we scheduled it during February. On the day his wife went into labor (five weeks early), he called at 6:45 a.m. We were at the hospital one hour later. It took us 45 minutes to get there. We waited all day in the waiting lounge. We paid for pizza for everyone in her “cult” of a family that was there. She didn’t give birth. The next day we went again with seven sandwiches of homemade chicken salad I made the night before. Not one of her family would eat them–they preferred the garbage from the vending machines. The reason my foolish ES said I didn’t WANT to be there (never mind that I was) was because I had asked him something like, oh you want us to be there? I NEVER said I didn’t want to be there, I just asked that question. What did I know? It was my first grandchild and my parents weren’t there when I gave birth twice. It just wasn’t done back then.

Now tell me, isn’t that worth laughing at? It turns out that I just can’t win with him. I have many, many stories I could write about how they chose to see themselves as victims, but it really isn’t worth it. The truth is that somewhere along the line he adopted this twisted, entitled, victim role that his wife plays and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

There’s no doubt in my mind that this kind of sick thinking is what’s behind the flood of adult “children” estranging from loving parents. And I believe keeping your grandchildren from you (however you do it ) takes it to a whole other level of sickness.

Be well my friends.

MasBrillante fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 14, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LabyaMynora posted:

I kind of assumed the couple who moved in with their parents even though they had their own condo that sat empty for months, that there was complications with the pregnancy.

It would be typical of an NPD to see that and view it as a privilege for the daughter's parents that the NPD is being unfairly denied.

A recurring theme with NPD parents of a husband is not understanding that his wife is much more comfortable with her own parents when it comes to health/body issues. NPDs view that comfort/preference as a slight as well.

The way she also keeps calling the family a cult makes me think there are ethnic or cultural overtures in how she is reacting to the family. It’s common for racists to view certain groups as hyperfertile and bent on subsuming “true American culture.” Op emphasizes being a child of Italian immigrants at a time where assimilation was a point of pride. I’m MUCH less confident about this conclusion but my suspicion is that she thinks her grandchild is being groomed to hate her by cultural interlopers. Also lol that no one wants to eat her toxic hate food that is probably made with contempt and mayonnaise.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

This is it, this is the thread video.

A true art.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A crosspost from the r/relationships thread:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for confronting my stepdaughter about the way she treats my wife?

I started dating my now wife when my stepdaughter (SD) was 13. She was an unruly child who constantly cried and whined and lashed out for attention. My wife couldn't take SD's crap anymore so she kicked her out when she was 14. SD moved in with her father, who's a jerk to me and my wife but he did a good job disciplining SD. He had turned her into a nice, quiet and obedient child.

SD continued to behave and treat us with respect until she moved to another city when she was 24. She stopped coming home for holidays. My wife was devastated, but she understood that SD needed to have a life of her own.

SD is 28 now, and the angry emails started coming 2 years ago. They're incoherent rant-filled emails with all kinds of outlandish accusations toward my wife. Lots of accusations of neglect and abuse being thrown around. More accusations of favoring her siblings over her. My wife tried to justify herself in the beginning but it only made SD angrier, so my wife decided to ignore these emails altogether. Every time my wife gets one of these nasty emails, she breaks down crying. She has had to call off work to recoup from the pain of reading these emails. I've spent countless hours comforting my wife and telling her that she was not the problem and SD just needed therapy to deal with her own issues instead of taking them out on my wife.

My wife has another daughter who's SD's younger sister. Honestly, she's much nicer and gets along with my wife. She goes to my wife every time she has a problem and my wife helps her out. She treats my wife with respect and there's nothing but love between the two of them. They have an excellent mother-daughter relationship. SD has always been very jealous of her sister, and she resents the wonderful relationship her mother and sister have.

Last November, SD's younger sister found out she was pregnant, and the baby's father skipped out on her. Of course, she came to my wife for comfort. We offered to let her move in with us until she got back on her feet. SD found out what happened and she flipped out. My wife got yet another angry email. SD accused her always making time for her younger sister and not her. My wife was stressed out about the pregnancy so she ignored SD's email. I read it and decided that enough was enough. I emailed SD. Told her to stop living in the past and if she treated her mother better, she'd have a relationship with her like her younger sister does.

Of course SD got pissed off. She sent everyone in the family a goodbye letter and cut all of us out of her life. My wife is devastated and they're all blaming me for driving her away. I thought that she was just bluffing for attention, but it's been 8 months and none of us have heard a peep from her. I still think I did the right thing by putting her in her place. She probably felt that no one would take her crap anymore so she fled. But I still feel bad for driving a bigger wedge between her and her mother. AITA?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

One thing that kills me about the people mocking the people on these sites is that they shorten "narcissist" to "N" even though when most sane and well adjusted hear someone say "the N word" they assume it's referring to a racial epithet and not an overused piece of armchair psychology. This leads to some frankly hilarious turns of phrase for anyone who isn't so lacking in empathy with regards to their choice of specialized language.

I feel a jolt every time I read N as a prefix to be quite honest.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I have to say that reading the above posts make me realize we are not alone. Our relationship with our son has been up and down for over 10 years. We have contact, then are cut off, contacted again and cut off again. Never invited to his first wedding, only learned of anything when he was getting divorced. When we see him it always is hard to deal with. He is sullen, non communicative, at times abusive and makes us feel as if we did something to him despite being very good parents. We have been very generous to him paying for a lovely home for him, making needed repairs when bought, then more repairs recently. Additionally, we have voluntarily offered to pay for dental, medical and car loans all in hopes that we would be treated nicely. We used to gift him the maximum allowed under the tax law every year but upon learning that he had squandered hundreds of thousands of dollars left to him by his grandfather, we stopped that as the money was simply being wasted on not sure what as he cannot account for where all the money and I do mean a large sum went. The latest episode began when he called one day in the fall saying he bought airline tickets and he has wife and infant were headed our way. He quoted the price he paid and unlike in past experiences when he called, I did not offer to pay for them. I simply said, ok. We were thrilled and I planned nice meals, bought things the baby and was truly looking forward to a nice family get together. When they arrived, he snuck off, bought beer and drank it so that he became obnoxious with talk that could only be considered crazy. We learned that after stopping drinking for about a year that he had once again taken to drinking 4-5 cans of beer every nite. In addition, he smoked at our home which we find distasteful especially since he is a new father. I stated my feelings that drinking excessively and smoking are not good for anyone especially a new father with a child to consider. When he was drunk he spoke about quitting his job and taking a menial job that he was not suited for which he said would be “fun.” And I guess I should not have said that someone with an advanced degree from a prestigious school would be embarrassing himself and his family by taking such a menial job that would fit someone without any skills or education. Yes, I said that and probably should not have in retrospect but it was simply crazy drunken talk and if he intended to push my buttons he certainly did so well. His wife agreed with me on all points I thought all was well. Not quite as during their stay there were complaints about the home cooked meals I had prepared, about the fact that the stay was not “exciting enough” and that they had expected more in the way of a vacation rather than being “stuck” in the house with us. We loved seeing our grandchild but truly were not happy with him or his behavior. When we dropped them off the airport we were both relieved- not a word of thanks for all we did simply a walk away. He has not been heard from since and it really upset both my husband and I. We are quite well off, have no one else in the world in terms of family and he stands to inherit a large sum of money- but as it stands, I question if he deserves anything at all? I like the idea of MJmom with the letter and the requirements and love animals so that her idea sounds great to me. I am regretting speaking my mind and wonder if I should try and apologize but then again I do not think excessive drinking are good so I cannot say I take it back, get drunk and smoke every night. Any advice?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Nerds posted:

This one seems legit to me

It’s legit in that he’s a drunk because his parents are abusive and 1) won’t acknowledge )what the mysterious thing they did to him when he was 4 that is such an offensive accusation that it can only be spoken of with passive, vague verbiage 2) continuously deny the raging contempt they have for his current and prior wife 3) constantly tell him he is a literal failure.

quote:

My son was given over 800000 as a child by my parents. I was co owner of the account. When he turned 21 he took me off the account and ran through the money on cars, booze and who knows what. When he needed to buy a house he asked me to cosign I foolishly bought it for him 300000. He graduated college and grad school debt free as my parents paid for everything including generous living allowances in addition to room board and books. He has a masters degree in a good field from a highly rated university so he has the ability to make a good living thanks to my parents. When he was going with a bimbo for lack of a better term mom wrote out of her will after asking him to reconsider and being disrespected in reply. He did not know she did yet when she was dying refused to go and see her. Since then we have gifted him tens of thousands of dollars, paid medical and dental bills, paid for repairs to his home including over 7000 last year and in return we are ignored.
He lied about the cars he was wasting cash on sometimes 4 luxury high end cars at once while saying he drive a Civic.

I hold the entire large inheritance mom left me. It is a very large amount and I often wonder what my mom would do and say. I think of the letter I recently found and how she disliked howxge disrepected me as I was a good mom.

I truly never expected to have to feel as I do. The money I could leave my son would allow him to live the wonderful life my husband and I live yet I ask, does he deserve it? Does 13 years of disrespect t deserve a Reward? The answer is no.

Does our GS deserve anything? Well we will never know him although I bet he will told what rotten people we are so the answer to thatvus No also

We love cats my husband saud cats are better than people and my husband is a proud veteran and we love the Sempre Fi fund which we made a large donation to in honor of my mom. Those are worthful causes that will be the beneficiary of our estate

It is sad to feel that way. It is not being vindictive it is just wanting a lot of cash to go estate tax free to worthy causes.

This is generations of using wealth to control people. OP describes her mother as constantly abusive but still deserving of love on principle. Clearly the son disagrees, and perhaps think all this money is a fair exchange for destroying the woman who would raise him in a narcissistic abusive environment. Personally, I think he might be right.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I love this and might buy you a new title.

If so I will wear it with pride

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks. I'm using these to tighten up my reading comprehension

The trick about close reading is intertextuality. Here's another post, same person:

quote:

Blackeyed Susan

So Sorry to hear about your experience. My ES also twists things- mostly about me.

There was no divorce or remarriage here. I am blessed to have found a wondeful man who I have been married to for 41 years. We were excellent parents- if we did anything wrong it was giving TOO much, Caring TOO much, trying TOO hard. From what you wrote I think you are guilty of the same “crimes”

The lies that are spun and the stories that are told are preposterous- I did not teach my son curse words at age 4 or force him to watch dirty movies at the same age as he claims- nor did we throw him out of our home and force him to go to a hotel with his now ex wife as he claims. All warped views of reality!

These kids are delusional and do not see reality for what is it. They seem to take aim at mothers perhaps as they think we cannot fight back. The hurt is just so great and I truly am sorry you are going through this.

You are right, things will never be the same- I cannot even think of seeing my ES every again as the look of him makes me sick. I will regret not being in my GSs life every day until I die but I realize that it would not be any good as he is probably going to be told lies about me so that he will hate me also- so sad.

Hugs and good wishes being sent your way.

quote:

I am so sorry that we are all going through this.

When I first met my GS in June when he was a month old fiance screamed at me while I was washing baby’s head telling me I would split his head as I did not know babies have a soft spot. She said I knew nothing about babies- as if she is an expert! I was taken aback as I took care of baby’s father without any help from anyone and never split his head. When they visited 3 months ago and we gave them our car and gift card for lunch telling them to stay as long as they wanted they rushed home as they said they knew we did not know how to care for GS which was totally untrue! We enjoyed cuddling him, putting him in his walker and talking to him.

What bothers me the most is that I had a mother who was distant and unloving to say the least yet I respected her and treated her well until her dying day. I did not have to do so for any reason other than love and respect- she had changed her will to exclude ES leaving me everything so money was not even in the picture. Love and respect without any regard for how I was treated as she was my mother were what mattered. My ES sealed his fate with this gold digging now exwife who took him for a fool and mom wrote him out. He lost a lot of money and I suspect he is still bitter over that. I spent my life looking for a surrogate mom who would love me and respect me- as I never got that from my real mom. I did everything the opposite of what my mom did to me with my son so that he had a good childhood thinking he would love and respect me and I was so wrong! I spent my life making friends with older ladies and mothers of my boyfriends always trying to get that love and approval I so desperately wanted and never got.

My mom’s mom basically raised me as my mom was busy with social events and clubs as she felt that as the wife of an attorney she should travel in those circles. Unlike my mom, my grandma was so down to earth and I have such beautiful memories of playing checkers, dominoes and “go fish” with her. She taught me how to make ethnic dishes and was such a beautiful person- the memories last until this day although she is gone 38 years. Many people who knew her and know me say that I have her sweet down to earth and loving friendly personality. She died when I was 7 months pregnant and never saw my son.

I always dreamed of being like my grandma and making good memories for my GS. I am not a mean or uncaring person as they imply I am. We even thought of buying a second home to visit- as they live over 1000 miles away to spend time with GS and make good memories for him. Thank God we did not as we would never go there now.

So the end result is like Mum said my GS will be jipped out of knowing us- also jipped out being able to come to our home- we live in one of the top vacation communities in the US- two of my college roommates are visiting this week as it is a great vacation spot with people from around the world coming here as snowbirds. So, GS will be denied days at the beach, time in our pool, visiting our local zoo, spending time with 2 people who love him with all their hearts. It bothers me so much to realize that this is happening.

quote:

I mentioned my ES’s fiance’s step dad defriending me after I invited them for a visit to my town- which is a very nice vacation destination actually named by Conde Naste the Number One Luxury destination in the US. I thought they would like visiting, staying at our home and seeing the town as hotels when they were coming are either totally booked or extremely expensive. In return, I was rebuffed and defriended.

I have met her family. I NEVER did anything to them. When there was a barbecues at ESs home I went shopping with his fiance and was glad to pay for all the groceries and supplies. Her family came with a shimp cocktail that was about for 5 people when 12 were in attendance and some Bisquick Strawberry shortcake that was so hard that I would not dare eat it for fear of breaking my dental work. I took a bite of one cake and said how delicious it was then was able to not insult anyone by saying I would put it aside and eat it later as I was so full from the burgers and steaks.

The night before a major hurricane hit our home- we were at the epicenter of the storm in Sept. 2017 with our community getting hit head on with a Cat 4 intensity- very scary and predicted as of the day before that we were right in the eye of the storm. We were petrified! My husband and I had the shutters up and were truly afraid that our home would be severely damaged. ESs fiance called me I and I asked her keep up is their thoughts and prayers as we could not leave. As she was newly pregnant, I said that fear was great but that I was looking to the future and being “one big happy family” once baby was born. In return, she screamed and I do mean screamed “No, we will not be- be one big happy family as my mother hates you and wants to tell you off when she sees you next time!” I was in shock and perhaps regrettably told her that she was rude that as we were facing what could have been a disaster for our home that I did not like her rude and nasty comment as I did nothing to her mom. I screamed back before hanging up in tears. My husband was with me each of the 3 times we met her mother and step dad and step sister and I NEVER said anything that would cause such a reaction or create the need to tell me off. Her mom spent most of of time together either glaring at me or sitting in silence. And honestly, if her mother wants to tell me off I will tell her off in return about what a rude and ungrateful daughter she has so bring it on. Not taking crap anymore from her or anyone else. I see little hope of anything changing. I think her family may be jealous of the success my husband and I have achieved- and feel that we are retired folks living the good life without the sacrifices it took to get here. We are significantly older than her parents- and when we were their ages we both worked- but I think they envy us therefore the rude comments.

So my hopes of one big happy finally are dashed forever.

quote:

You are not alone and certainly not wrong for feeling as you do.
Our ES lives over 1000 miles away and the distance is a good thing. He went to college and grad school in the state where he lives and never came back home.

We see career choices he has made which were ones that were not suitable for someone with an advanced education with honors from a prestigious business school. He chose to stay in jobs that were dead end and without any real possibility of advancement because they were within his comfort zone. Perhaps because he has low self esteem and no personality he felt afraid to reach for his true potential. He is in our opinion grossly underpaid based on his age and educational background but that is neither here nor there and he does not seem to want to do anything about it. The tuition we paid for him to take the CPA course which we are not even sure he took was probably squandered. Other classmates of his with lower GPAs who earned their CPAs have prestgious. careers. Not the case with him.

On his last visit here, after a few beers he started ranting about starting a new career as a long haul truck driver.[/b ] He has said this on several other occasions and both my husband and I find it very unsettling. His fiances father is a long haul trucker who has told him on numerous occasions that he is not suited to that job but he persists! His fiance started to scream at him that her father told him to stop that crazy talk and he persisted.
Everytime we see him, we both feel that for some reason he does not us there. He does interact with us. If we say something he does not agree with he becomes abusive or simply ignores us.

I am tired of holding my tongue. I spoke up last visit in December and that was the last we heard from him. As the saying goes the truth is bitter when it is told and he found what I said about drinking to excess with a young baby and vaping in front of the baby to be very poor choices health wise for both himself and the baby. [b]I also said that being a long haul truck driver after so many years of advanced business training was demeaning and laughable.
Having had 2 surgeries in the past year both of which we paid for, one being a 3rd hernia repair, I doubt he could easily load and unload trucks. So, that is that I said and the result was being shunned.

So be it.

Distance is better. Once upon a time we foolishly after we purchased his home for him were considering a second home near him to be in his life. That is all in the past. No such plans now. We like living 1000 miles away. If we lived closer we would be simply ignored short rather than long distance- even more hurtful.

We have no thoughts of even traveling to where he lives. He chose his path so he can walk it without us as that seems to be what he wants.
I feel you are making the right choice. Feel no guilt. It is for the better.

Good luck and hugs from one mom to another!

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

He's wrong. No one "deserves" an inheritance.

I didn’t say anything about deserving. I don’t believe anyone should have this money at all.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We have no evidence that the son gives a single poo poo about that inheritance except that his NarMom thinks he does. I’m going to guess based on his behavior that he...really doesn’t.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine how NarMom feels, putting up with an abusive mother until her literal death in exchange for a million, to later find out that money wasn’t going to ensure her the same insulation from her psychological abuse.

Another thing is, no one escapes abuse unscathed. If someone claims to have done so magically, they are in denial and probably harming people around them due to maladaptive coping mechanisms. I would not want to take any life advice or input for someone who refused to address their trauma related mental illness for 50 years.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LabyaMynora posted:

Facebook will go down as the death of America.

Yes.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sex Weirdo posted:

Two thanksgivings ago we were just sitting down to eat and my mom asked everyone to take turns saying something they were thankful for. Most everyone said something nice like family or good health or something like that. But of course when it got to my fox news watching dad he said "I'm thankful I dont live in a district that would elect a BLACK WOMAN REPRESENTATIVE!"

I'm not even sure what it was in reference to but it sure does take the air out of a room of 15+ people. I'm not estranged or anything but man, it sure makes me not want to talk to him very much when it seems like he cant go 2 minutes without saying something bigoted.

This sounds like if I wrote a YouTube skit about how I imagined White Thanksgiving.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is someone on RP who has started 48 topics and written 2299 replies.

I just know there's some great content there but it's gonna be a slow dig. Apertif:

quote:

My former husband’s new wife calls herself my kids “other mother” in front of me. She calls herself “grandma” to my pregnant daughter and told me “good thing she is having twins, one for both of us to hold.” This lady is very nice to me, talks to me, gives me hugs hello and goodbye when my former husband won’t even talk to me or look me in the eye. This lady is desperate for love and acceptance and has enmeshed herself into my AC’s lives from the get go (its her third marriage). We get along well and are friendly now, have the same profession. But that term “other mother” makes me pause. I don’t know what to think about her using that term and I wonder if my children want another mother or if this creeps them out so they blame me? Another thing I get blamed for. On one hand, nothing I can do about it, have to radically accept it, but on the other hand, it feels like she has no boundaries. And my ex-husband is happy she was so pushy to be the “new mother” cause he is narcissistic and bent on controlling me. So I thought I’d ask you all, is a step parent the “other parent” like this? Need some practical and logical advice. Tell me if you think this is okay or what. Maybe this is our culture’s new normal?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thesaurus posted:

Enmeshed!

What % of her replies to other people's topics are just her pivoting into her own self pity story! That seems to be the MO on that site.

So far 100% that I’ve skimmed. Like, I could probably keep count if the posts that don’t.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Well, if I am being real here, I ‘d say that most husbands know where their “intimacy” comes from and how not to rock the boat and end up not getting any. The bond/relationship between husband and wife is supposed to go before the relationship between parent and adult child. Why do some people allow their spouse to banish or hate on their parents? I’d say it because they get something from the relationship and it serves a purpose for them. My one AD wants to be taken care of. Her father and I were pushing her to be independent and an adult in college and take charge of her life. Instead she found a boy who was desperate to be married, so they married. His dad was an alcoholic and family life revolved around appeasing the dad — his mother kept her claws in her adult kids as a way of not having to have her own life or a job/career. So my SIL’s family always comes first. My daughter likes it that way. As my ex has caused the estrangement, my SIL has pulled away from me even more. I guess that I get the blame for the exhusband’ negative behavior. It immaturity and lack of emotional intelligence, in my humble opinion. Or some people are just plain selfish and mean.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArtIsResistance posted:

This thread has enough projecting to start a planetarium. Y'all need therapy not a forum

I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable who is disclosing in this thread, but my interest is primarily internettainment. I belong to a family that the people on that forum would call “enmeshed.” My and my husbands’ parents are both amazing and my MIL is probably going to move in when I pop one out.

So...nah.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

i was born a full grown man, hatched from a really big egg. laying it must have completely destroyed my mom's situation, though.

At first I thought by situation you meant your mom’s like life but then I realized you meant vagina.

Cloaca?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And there it is...
(This is the person who posted 2000 times)

quote:

Sphinx, I think you hit the nail on the head. But most parents don’t want to admit it or see it. Probably is part of the problem with us loving parents, we ignore our children’s bad behavior or faults. Everyone has them and I don’t want to make others on this forum mad. We loving parents tend to ignore these faults in our children and then they grow up and those same faults bite us in the hind end. I guess I no longer have those rose colored glasses on. Too many hateful things have been done to me or others and its not a happy relationship with any of the EC of mine.

My ED, the meanest one, was always having conflict with friends or boyfriends and tried to manipulate her father into allowing her to break the rules, which he always fell for. (He started the estrangement or encouraged it or whatever you want to say.) My other, nicer, ED just wanted to be babied and have someone else take care of her but with all the fun of an adult. She married early to a guy who is very controlling with her abut who clings to his mommy. The ES (my step son), well he started in puberty to lie and manipulate, do drugs, etc. He also had guys over while we were at work and he left the evidence of their sexual acts and drug use all over his bedroom. He just flat out didn’t care what we saw or how this impacted us. My point is all of this shows a pattern of who they really are. I might not like who they really are and I did my darnedest to be a good mother and help them grow up into mature, emotionally healthy young adults but it didn’t work out that way. People are who they are.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can tell they know they are horrible because they protest so much that they are not just passable parents but the most superlative mother anyone could ever have, except for a few understandable mistakes that any human should be forgiven for. Everything in their situation is exceptional, from the sheer horribleness of their particular children, to the injustice of being treated equal or slightly less to their child’s spouse’s parents by...the spouse.

If other people had difficulty raising their children, they were raising the antiChrist. If other women got little support with child rearing by their husbands, their husbands were UNIQUELY absent. These people would absolutely without hesitation award themselves the Nobel with a committee of one and not think a second thought about it. Their protestations that they are humble mean very little when every single reply to someone else’s story is “I just can’t imagine what happened. it must be genetics but not MY genetics.”

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clitch posted:

In the minds of fellow delusional parents:
A dripping black dildo as big as a man's forearm affixed to a coke dusted mirror with a heroin needle plunged into the frenelum.

Reality:
She searched his trash while he wasn't home every day for a month, turning up a roach and a used condom.

My teacher nominated me for a test in third grade, and based on the result, I was recommended for the GT program. (I won't go into the merits of GT. I'm sure related stories from other goons would support their own thread.)

My father refused consent for me to enter the program based on a conspiracy theory that he described to 8yo me as GT being a recruiting tool for the New World Order orchestrated by the NEA. I remember the book he got this idea from. I remember its place on the bookshelf in our living room. I remember the cracks in its spine.

I don't think GT would have turned me into a rich celebrity intellectual with a bigger dick, but I went to a small school in a small town where teachers did not respect a student's privacy. I wound up being heavily stigmatized over it. There was a distinct before and after in how teachers treated me, and the kids picked up on that quick. It also probably delayed my diagnosis for a handful of cognitive and mood disorders by a couple of decades. It was another roadblock to social confidence for a kid who'd watched his mother(a whole different set of problems) walk out less than a year earlier, leaving him with a man she knew to be abusive and manipulative. In her words, she didn't feel strong enough to get both of us away from him.

I've recounted this story in detail to the man, only to have him look me dead in the eye and tell me none of it happened.

Oh gently caress. This is like literally where our lives diverged. With me getting help because my parents aren’t dicks.I mean they kind of were but not in this particular way. I’m so so sorry.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I feel I should make it clear that we only have sporadic contact with any of the EC. Over the last five years, I have seen the EDs maybe three times (we live a few hours drive away). The ES goes through the extended family to use and abuse them and then comes back to us only when he is mad at everyone else and needs us. We might see them and they behave ugly and that makes me choose to pull away. Or they get mad at us for some BS reason, like the Christmas gift wasn’t of high enough monetary value. Its no win. There are no grandchildren yet. So it varies year to year whether or not we are full on no contact, being ignored, being treated badly or whatever. And I vary my gift giving based on how they act and whether or not they send us birthday or Christmas gifts.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah finding out a behavior is common and has a name and other people experience it too isnt reframing you nard

like how are you in such a hurry to be right about something anything and get one over on "posters" that you minimize their evolving understanding of their experience down to mental illness?

Mentally ill: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893331&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post496502930

Takes one to know one. You’re at home here, Sleeveless!

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AC = adult child or children. Usually children.

quote:

There are several themes that go through all of our posts.

Narcissistic or self centered AC or ex spouses.
Spouses or ex spouses that demand total allegiance from the AC to the exclusion of the other parent.

AC that “choose” the other parent because they are desperate to have that parent in their lives now, a longing from being ignored during childhood.

AC that “choose” the inlaws due to their spouse demanding loyalty to their parents only. Or perhaps the inlaws do the demanding and monopolizing of time/attention of the AC.

AC that are not nice, say hateful things to us, and demand this or demand that and feel it is their right, their privilege to be so hateful — “we deserve it” in their minds.

Moody AC that seem different from one moment to the other.

Drug or alcohol use/abuse that causes the AC to want “privacy” and/or money.

AC who blame others without ever taking responsibility for their own actions.

AC who try to control and manipulate others to NOT have a relationship with their estranged parent.

AC who cut us off when we don’t appease them, stop giving money, or give into their wishes.

Mental health issues or personality disorders in our AC.

Depression in us after the estrangement begins or while on the roller coaster ride with an unpleasant AC.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

ahh… I finally “decided” to just go. I feel strongly that I need to make an effort to show up like the other parents and relatives do. And its one effort at a time — no hope, just this weekend for what it is, bobble head city. I can totally give up later on if I want.

Thanks to Cubbyz, you hit the nail on the head on how mean some people are. I know I don’t have to attend but I decided just go with a detached attitude, like show up, smile, and don’t give a poop.

Good Son wanted to go with us — but on his schedule and accommodating his desires. Thought he’d be a buffer and then realized he is adding more stress. I saw the narcissistic tendencies that run in his paternal family line. Time for consequences and boundaries, he’s not going.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

- at the optician, she bought some glasses for me when i was a kid. she said they even looked good on me and insisted i get them.

the next day, she tears into my room, screaming about how i need to pay her back for the glasses (with what money?), picking up my keyboard and smashing it against the table.

another odd, but common thing i've experienced and read about, is how narcissist mothers will see that you have something nice, and immediately want to go out and buy the exact thing that you have, especially if you've been complimented on it in front of them. while this might sound minor, it's very telling. they're simply not content to see you receive praise or success if they aren't involved, and every small, petty thing they can do to soak up some of your praise, they will do.

they also tend to be bad gift givers, because they don't care about what you actually want or need. usually it's a way to make you feel like poo poo, or passive-aggressively correct some "wrong" of yours. and if they do give you something you enjoy, be prepared to have to do something in return, or have it taken back from you because even though it's a gift, they spend their money on it, in their house, and they are obviously entitled to it

I am actually fascinated by the gift-giving logics exhibited in a lot of these posts, especially from people who are well enough off to REALLY get creative using wealth as a cudgel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I just remembered that my step-dad is estranged from his oldest daughter. I didn't even KNOW he had another daughter (or had a third ex wife for that matter) until one day as a teen I found this dusty photo of an adult woman and curiously asked him if it was one of his relatives. He dryly replied that she was his oldest daughter from a previous marriage, his ex wife left him "over some dumb bullshit" and had allegedly poisoned his daughter against him. She had apparently gone no contact and the daughter had also refused to let him see his granddaughter which I also didn't know existed at that point. No idea how he had a photograph of her if his ex wife and daughter were estranged from him when the daughter was young.

I didn't think much of it back then, just figuring he was being weird and cagey about it. But Reading this thread I got a feeling something bad happened between them.

Well I am beginning to gather that for a lot of people estranged means “anything less than what I deem an appropriate level of contact and deference.” I expected everyone to be like “I haven’t spoken to my daughter in 13 years” and there are some of those. But many of them seem to be more like “My daughter only sends me cards on some holidays” where the implication is that that is the only contact. But then in the next post they describe a phone call and it becomes clear the crime was not sending cards on all designated holidays, as I Expect.