Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Is that Taylor Twellman aka The Voice of Fingernails on Chalkboard? God amighty why is U.S. soccer the redheaded stepchild of sports announcers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

xeria posted:

NWSL gets some loving garbage-tier announcers, though the low-light is still probably that game where Anson Dorrance said he would've shot one of the Houston players on the sideline if he was the coach.

lol. Old Anson's been around quite a while. I'm pretty sure he was the National Team coach in '91 when they won the inaugural Women's World Cup...... while still at N.C.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

Thaisa Moreno's contract with Milan expired and it looks like she's a free agent. She was one of the better players on the team and scored a few bangers during the season so I'm disappointed the club didn't offer an extension (maybe they did, I'm not sure). Anyway she'd be a decent signing for anyone in Serie A and probably abroad for that matter.

Probably a broad? They don't check these things in Italy? paisan pls.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

Some or most of you are probably familiar with Caster Semenya, the olympic track star from South Africa that the IAAF has a lot of trouble categorizing because she displays some hyperandrogynistic traits. She's just signed with a South African football team:

https://twitter.com/caster800m/status/1169897609839857665

Pretty neat, hope she does well.

'Hyperandrogyistic" is kind of a euphemism. She's got more testosterone than you and me.....well than you. I'd be surprised if she isn't banned from this sport also. Unfortunate, but there it is.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

How are Marta and Morgan there, but not England's White? What is this, a Hall of Fame ballot? The Dutch had some good attackers also. And Dunn was better than O'Hara.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Big Huski Boi posted:

A lot of people were complaining about Rapinoe and Morgan's inclusions in the final three as they did nothing of note for their club teams.

Ah, club. That makes it rather difficult. I thought it was just WC.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

whypick1 posted:

And the Courage turn a 3-on-6 breakaway into a goal in the 4th minute.

I saw that goal before we left to do a :golf: and the clowncar collision of Ertz taking out Naeher leaving an open net was, in retrospect an omen? I mean, I understand that Ertz is a national team stalwart, but there's times where she's just a blond ditz out there.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tournoi de France going on on Bein, France v Canada.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

And as they look like in pretty much any game against decent opposition, Canada is playing like a team that has no loving clue what to do if Christine Sinclair isn't playing really well.

She's old and lumbering but they're pretty clueless. Garbage even. French are not all that either, I suppose it's typical for mid winter.

edit- best thing about it is the French left side Katchowie! and Katoto! (sp)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

whypick1 posted:

So the USWNT's equal pay fight vs. the USSF sure got uglier and right now I'm listening to Julie Foudy try really really really really hard not to swear up a storm at Carlos Cordeiro over "whoops, our bad" apology.

On the plus side, this goal happened earlier. It was nice.

https://twitter.com/USWNT/status/1237902154016358400

She's really coming into her own in the last year.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Eric Cantonese posted:

They erased it. What happened?

Conehead Lobby.

I know, I know that's a dot, lighten up, gimme a joke here eh

That smirk is like 100megawatt meme tho

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You can't have Concacaf without a little caca.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

Just the nature of women's sports. IIRC female basketball players tear ACL's 4-5 times as often as their male counterparts.

Woman's ACL is a third the size, and so probably strength as well of man's.

Can't remember where I read that. I could quote a horror anecdote about a women's college coach's opinion on ACL tears...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Grimson posted:

There was an article in the British Journal of Sports Medicine late last year that looked at ACL injuries in women athletes and argued that the problem wasn't caused by their gender, but rather the way society treats them based on their gender.

They go on to highlight a few things like the different toys they get during childhood: From day one, "gendered parenting … for example, purchasing different toys or allowing greater independent mobility for boys … could manifest as altered movement patterns in sport later in life," the study says.

And how girls/women are told to look at their body and training: For example, ACL research overwhelmingly suggests resistance training and increasing muscle mass is one of the primary methods for strengthening knees and preventing ACL injuries. However, cultural expectations and stereotypes around femininity and how women's bodies should look often affect girls and women's participation in these kinds of activities.

Not to mention that women are, in a lot of cases, using secondary or tertiary fields and pitches to practice on which are rarely up to standard: "The number of teams I see that train on the second field as a female team, but then the male team trains on the main pitch, so when we start to look at landing technique, they're landing on potholes.

The stats for soccer and basketball injuries for men and women would point to anatomical differences, sometimes, the same person having one ACL smaller, therefore more prone to injury ACL, than the other.

https://aclstrong.com/female-and-ac...these%20sports.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

whypick1 posted:

The "destabilisation operation" appears to have worked.

Foxy moves, Wendi.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Akbar posted:

oh that's a bummer. I love Press's game but her body just might be too beat up to keep playing that way.

She was just hitting her prime, too. Healthy, she'd be the go-to scorer for the U.S. Genetics are a helluva drug.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ilmucche posted:

The Only Likable New England Sports Team FC (because they haven't had time to become evil)

Witches is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there anything good to read about the research going into these injuries and how they might be prevented? It's an epidemic

A woman's ACL and maybe all the knee ligaments is 1/3rd the size and strength of a comparable man's. The sports themselves are to blame, so maybe stiff knee braces? I remember a :wtc: quote from the SMU women's coach in the 90's, G. Somebody, that went to the effect of he welcomed them blowing out their ACL because the reconstructive surgery made them far stronger.