Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

xeria posted:

Still fuckin amazed that Cox actually un-retired just to play some more games for the Reign.
Between the World Cup players and the injured, the team had an absence list consisting of something like sixteeen players 2-3 weekends ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is every sell out ever because they count tickets sold, not asses in seats
Still, 20% of seats being empty would put about 15-16,000 in the stands for a team that usually gets a bit less than 4,000 for an average home game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well if you wanted evidence that the post-World Cup attendance boost is real, reportedly Sky loving Blue is going to be close to a sellout tonight.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alright let's watch the USWNT shithouse Portugal.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And it takes all of four minutes for the US to score first.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

4-0 with two shots off the post. Typical USWNT home beating. 50,000 in attendance too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gorgeous pass, great finish, fantastic name

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Seattle Reign FC vs Orlando Pride, only 24 minutes into the game and Darian Jenkins scores two all by her lonesome, and Beverly Yanez scores another not five minutes later to put Reign up 3-0.

Game currently delayed 30 mins due to weather delay (possible lightning) and their lights don't seem to be working.
Marc Skinner has had a hilariously bad debut season with Orlando. I mean, they're worse than Sky Blue ffs

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Analog posted:

25 minutes into the North Carolina - Portland match and NC is up 3-0. Impressive showing by the Courage so far.
This game was going to be tough for NC no matter what. They played in New Jersey on Saturday, then flew to Portland without going home, and then they have to fly back to North Carolina after this game so they can play this weekend.

Kind of ridiculous, and yet they're shithousing Portland in Providence Park.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

FINALLY got my Rose LaVelle USWNT jersey on Friday. Ordered it on July 7. The wait was frustrating as hell, but I can say it looks real drat nice.
Had to wait months to see a Rose LaVelle thing

sounds kind of like her club career heh heh :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

North Carolina put up half a dozen goals again today good lord

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

After 66' it's scoreless because Casey Murphy has been standing on her head all game (NCC has 19 shots, 6 on target, compared to 5/3 for the Reign).
I'm still trying to figure :wtf: Seattle started Steph Cox ahead of both Theresa Nielsen and Celia Jimenez, a pair of European internationals, at right back.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That was a primo free kick by Debinha

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

And that's the dagger.

Still amazed the Reign made it this far after playing 31 different players this season.
I believe they have 7-9 players on the official Season-Ending Injury list, don't they?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

xeria posted:

Well, Alex Morgan is pregnant so she's probably never playing another minute with Orlando!
Now if Marc Skinner never manages another game with Orlando things might start looking up.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

Tournoi de France going on on Bein, France v Canada.
And as they look like in pretty much any game against decent opposition, Canada is playing like a team that has no loving clue what to do if Christine Sinclair isn't playing really well.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Yes pay the women in Dogecoin to give the league more legitimacy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

There was some worries about the upcoming NWSL season not happening because there was no CBA in place

https://twitter.com/nwsl_players/status/1488326369222094850?s=20&t=dknWbvGjynF9uMbuoVl40g

:toot:

Although it is rather sad that the minimum salary is a paltry $35k/yr
Pretty sure that minimum is more than double what it was maybe five years ago.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

your friend wicka posted:

This was MLS's minimum salary like 10 years ago. Beckham was playing with dudes who made that little.
IIRC that was a time when there were still NCAA grads who would occasionally turn down the league because there was a team in the USL who was paying higher, or they'd just quit playing the sport altogether and go work a 9-5 job because they'd easily make more money.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mexico last in the group while playing on home soil is a big oof

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Considering her age, Canada is still frighteningly reliant on Christine Sinclair to make them look good in attack against decent teams. What the hell are they going to do when she actually retires?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

*pretends to be shocked*

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Spanish WNT manager has given his response to the player allegations: he left out all 15 players who signed that statement to the RFEF from the squad for the upcoming friendlies against Sweden and the United States.

quote:

Vilda accused the players who led the rebellion of being “poorly advised” and refused to offer them a way back, just eight months before the World Cup.

[later in article...]

“When I read their statement I felt confused because I don’t really know what they are demanding: I would have liked them to have spoken clearly,” Vilda said. “I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. The lack of clarity in the players’ messages, both here and in their statements has allowed for doubts. That has opened up the idea that there must be something non-sporting in all this – and that’s normal because none of this makes sense if that’s not the case.

“I call on all those players that I have ever worked with – the captains have said the treatment has been exquisite – to come out and say there was ever a lack of respect or with any complaint about my behaviour in my entire career. People have made accusations and then hidden.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Really not liking the USWNT doing their best impression of the MNT :smith:
Pretty sure they had a quite large mental distraction for these two games.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

USA (somehow kept their #1 seed despite the 2 straight losses)
Why wouldn't they have kept their #1 seed? They're still #1 in the FIFA rankings in spite of the two losses.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

I meant ranking, derp.
Ah right. That would likely be due to the fact that the ELO-style ranking system that FIFA recently switched to places little weight on friendlies IIRC.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

highme posted:

In an interview with piece of poo poo Merritt he claims that the Thorns will maintain a presence at Providence Park. I don’t particularly believe a loving thing he says so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well Providence Park is technically owned by the city of Portland surely he can't just straight-up prevent them from playing there - that or demand exorbitant rent for them to play there.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just the nature of women's sports. IIRC female basketball players tear ACL's 4-5 times as often as their male counterparts.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

highme posted:

Jesus gently caress that's a really gross way to describe a years long pattern of abuse. Like what in the actual gently caress?
I think we're all adult enough here to recognize that "trading sex for favors" in any professional setting is indeed coercion and abuse, because that phrase in and of itself implies the victims didn't really have much of a choice in the matter.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

highme posted:

gently caress off with any and all of that. Victims of abuse are not getting “favors” and minimizing their abuse just victimizes them all over again.
I put that in quotes because no I didn't really mean they were casually trading sex for favors and of course it was more complicated than that and yes also it's a simplified version of a legal term involving something that can happen at the workplace that, when it happens, always involves some combination of sexual harassment, physical abuse, verbal abuse, power imbalances, coercion, threats, sexism, racism, and blackmail that can go on for a period of time ranging from weeks to years.

Does this need to be spelled out further? When someone says it's raining cats and dogs do you literally think it's raining cats and dogs or something

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 17, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grimson posted:

There was an article in the British Journal of Sports Medicine late last year that looked at ACL injuries in women athletes and argued that the problem wasn't caused by their gender, but rather the way society treats them based on their gender.

They go on to highlight a few things like the different toys they get during childhood: From day one, "gendered parenting … for example, purchasing different toys or allowing greater independent mobility for boys … could manifest as altered movement patterns in sport later in life," the study says.

And how girls/women are told to look at their body and training: For example, ACL research overwhelmingly suggests resistance training and increasing muscle mass is one of the primary methods for strengthening knees and preventing ACL injuries. However, cultural expectations and stereotypes around femininity and how women's bodies should look often affect girls and women's participation in these kinds of activities.

Not to mention that women are, in a lot of cases, using secondary or tertiary fields and pitches to practice on which are rarely up to standard: "The number of teams I see that train on the second field as a female team, but then the male team trains on the main pitch, so when we start to look at landing technique, they're landing on potholes.
Interesting. I was always under the impression that it was down a combination of physiology and access (or lack thereof) to higher-tier training equipment and facilities.

Hadn't thought about how gendercstereotypes themselves could factor into it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

NWSL bringing out the big guns and issuing a bunch of permanent bans/suspensions/fines. Looking at the list, this all seems about right, although it seems like the people in the "temporarily suspended/can be re-instated under certain conditions" list are effectively banned because no front office in their right mind would touch them with a 10 foot pole...I hope :ohdear:
It's truly impressive that Vera Pauw was so toxic during her one season in Houston that she's been placed on the Conditional Employment list. Of course she managed to turn that into employment as the manager of the Irish women's NT for the last four years.

The only one on the list that I can't quite remember what they did to get their punishment was OL Reign. Was it their initial hiring of a manager with a long history of misogyny? I can't remember his name but I specifically remember that he had a history of being a dick when they hired him.

Otherwise yeah everything on that list looks about right. Surprised there's nothing about North Carolina owner Steve Malik too - guy willingly employed Paul Riley for those years because the Courage were a juggernaut, and during that same time he self-relegated North Carolina FC from D2 to D3, which as a nice gently caress you to those fans, so he could focus resources on a Courage team that was coached by an unreconstructed sexual predator. There's no way he didn't know what was going on.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 10, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Swell guy
Sounds like just the person you'd want managing the half of the game that involves players far more likely to have had body image issues growing up.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.espn.com/soccer/lyon-ly...se-against-club

quote:

FIFA published the results of the lawsuit against the club and ordered Lyon to pay Gunnarsdottir's full salary of more than €82,000 plus interest. Under rules approved by the decision-making FIFA Council in 2020, players must be given 14 weeks of maternity leave and clubs will be obliged to reintegrate them afterwards and provide adequate medical support.

Gunnarsdottir, who is now at Juventus, told The Players Tribune that from the time she returned to Iceland in early 2021, she received only "a small percentage from social security." FIFPRO helped her make her first claim to FIFA in September 2021.

In addition to the salary restitution, FIFA also found that the club failed to follow the "duty of care" guidelines, which included a responsibility to offer Gunnarsdottir alternative employment and follow up on her well-being.

"They talked about the 'duty of care' of the club, that there was no contact with me during my pregnancy. No one was really checking on me, following up, seeing how I was doing mentally and physically, both as an employee, but also as a human being. Basically, they had a responsibility to look after me, and they didn't," Gunnarsdottir said.

Watch clubs take all the wrong notes from this.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Non-WTF news for a change: NWSL getting VAR this season, which should help bring equality with the men's leagues in the field of fans griping about the referees.
Surely there's going to be a WTF aspect to it since it's the NWSL.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

NWSL plans to expand to Boston and ex-CyberRays area in 2024, with a return to Utah in 2025.
All three should be fine. As far as I remember support for Boston was decent before the plug was pulled but there were a lot of other issues. I just wonder where the Bay-area team would play if they're not owned by the Quakes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

There's CEFCU Stadium is San Jose if PayPal Park is unavailable - it should be fully redone by 2024.
I was thinking about that stadium and was wondering about the state of its numerous renos - it has multiple issues as an MLS venue.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Not being content with screwing over the men's team after they qualified for the World Cup, the Canadian Soccer Association is now seeing the women's team go on strike months before their own World Cup due to broken promises and shady financing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Mallory Swanson is dope.
Forgot Mallory Pugh got married and was wondering for a moment who the hell you all were talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The wide-eyed smile of a sociopath.