Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
<<< OP UPDATING RESUMED ON MARCH 3 2021, GO TO 2ND POST FOR LATEST GAME VERSION INFO! >>>

New thread with some recycled material from previous threads by Cup Runneth Over and automaticswim.

Previous thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828585

Foxhole is advertised as a massively multiplayer online game, in which you fight for territory and resources from a pretty 3D topdown perspective. It's not an mmo like most would think, as each server/map shard is maxed at 200 players, which is (usually) more than enough. Also there is no concept of unlocks, reputation grind, skill points, skill trees, skill planning or even skills in this game. The only thing that separates the n00bs from the uB3r pwners is what you know and/or have learned by playing. Everything that players do will affect the outcome of the fight: checkpoints, FOBs, and the overall battle, will be decided by the combined effort, or lack of, between players on your team.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/Foxhole Normal price is :20bux: + :10bux: , occasionally goes on sale for as low as US$11.00. Please note that some of the slide show images on Steam are outdated, and may not accurately reflect some things currently in game or may contain things no longer present.

>>>

LORE BLURB:

quote:

“Foxhole is set in a fantasy ww1/2 between two groups, the Wardens, who have a sorta ww1 france / ww2 german aesthetic going on, and the Colonials with their more American ww2 looking aesthetic. The basic plot is after the Great Wars, the Colonials fled their homeland to settle in the Deadlands of the Warden's empire, a sorta Verdun area that had been completely devastated by war. Fearing a repeat of the Great Wars, the Wardens preemptively struck, and they've been stuck in a pitched war ever since.”

The game itself is produced by a small indie studio in Toronto, Canada called Clapfoot Games SiegeCamp. The game runs on Unreal engine 4.24 and generally does not need a OC'd i9 & water-block 3090Ti to play. The owner of Clapfoot SiegeCamp games hates the concept of so there are no super OP p2w neon colored assault rifles or fancy hats to buy with your mom’s credit card for the low low price of $29.99 ! Hell, the in-game player model is so small you wouldn’t be able to see that crap anyway. The game has a strong international following, with the game having significant amounts of Russian, Turkish, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean and French speakers. The devs follow an update release roadmap that they whipped up and have shown a decent ability to keep to it:

System Requirements

Minimums:
  • Processor: Dual-Core 64-bit Intel or AMD processor, 2.0 GHZ CPU
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 1 GB DirectX 11 compatible video card
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 15+ GB available space

Useful things to click with your mouse pointer !

http://www.foxholegame.com – main website
https://discord.gg/2Xyf5Yc – Foxhole official Discord server, commonly referred to as “FOD”
http://www.foxholestats.com – popular 3rd party site that uses a game info API provided by the devs to show in real-time how the battle goes, with maps, graphs, and an in-game event timeline.
https://foxholeglobal.com/map/ - Foxhole Interactive Map - another API using site that is a very clean map of the locations in game. New players might appreciate this as each main map has over a dozen named sub-areas so knowing Callahan's Passage from Callahan's Spine is a needed skill.
https://www.logiwaze.com/ - same as above but it has a search box you can type location names into.
https://www.twitch.tv/foxholegame/ - Usually every other week (on Tuesdays) the game devs have a livestream to talk about development things and community related stuff. Usually very informative. The devs sometimes post a blog entry on the Tuesdays that they are not streaming.
http://www.reddit.com/r/foxholegame - Reddit. Nuff said.
https://foxhole.gamepedia.com/Foxhole_Wiki - wiki page, mostly accurate and up to date.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyTJpcW9AOC0ul-T0Ma30iQ - channel for “I Saw A Bear” on YouTube. Currently the devs favorite live streamer & YouTube person, he routinely puts out videos showing gameplay. This person also gets dev help to make a highlight video for the major gameplay changes implemented when each patch comes out.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjuAyU1RglKGmcZcS1ZqDCQ/videos - Channel for some random guy in Turkey who has played the game for a long time, his videos can showcase a lot of things that can go right in game and a lot of things that can go horribly wrong (either due to game bugs or random chance).

Goons and how to find them!

https://discord.gg/8KapFpB - Goons in Foxholes. Join if you want to play Foxhole specifically.
https://discord.gg/CC98Se4 - SA Pro Elite Gamers – has a Foxhole channel, with lots of other channels for other games.

Please be aware that the game uses whatever you have as your Steam name as your in-game name !

:siren: This is an early-access title. It looks promising and is fun as all hell, but don't forget, early access ! :siren:
The above statement should be taken seriously. The game has evolved considerably since it was released, and has gone through many changes in both graphics and gameplay. A prime example is that in version 0.26 of the game the entire world map was redone. What was a map with 9 areas in a square 3x3 arrangement became 23 areas made of 6 sided hexagons, with 17 new areas added and pre-existing ones redone. And on top of that a significant part of the games underlying suite of logistical tools, processes, and resources were modified to a rather large degree. The addition of semi-RNG aspects to war starting positions and resources were a source of much negative feedback from the game community due to their apparent imbalance effect on war length and resource scarcity (specifically Refined materials and High Explosive materials). War #30 lasted from approximately June 20th to July 5th 2019. War #31 (first with RNG) lasted from about 11 AM EST July 5th to about 1 PM EST July 8th. Most of the major changes over the last year or so are documented in the 2nd post. As of late May 2021 a "1.0" release was tentatively set for sometime in summer but that hasn't happened yet.

This is an example of a war start image released every war start by the devs.

TESTIMONIALS from a goon ! (courtesy of eonwe)

eonwe posted:

Stories from V-Day:

I created an improvised barrier from a supply crate and a foxhole near the end of the war. I was in a logistics truck, and I heard another logistics truck coming. I had planned on ramming it, shooting it, and maybe stealing whatever supplies they had. The first part of the plan went well, I rammed the truck. Unfortunately, 4 enemies jumped out of the truck ready to fight. The whitest sounding voices ever came over the mic shouting stuff like 'COME HERE HOMIE' 'WE WANNA TALK HOMIE'. I got out, ran around the back of my truck, which caused them to try to chase me. I very quickly wrapped around and actually jumped into THEIR truck. I drove off before they could really respond and ended up with around 800 basic materials. They got an empty truck.

Another story from V-Day:

Probably an hour before the end of the war, Werkwerk, Aborted Continuously, and I were leading a group of people attacking logistics behind enemy lines. We were waiting in the bushes and the first thing that comes along is a troop transport absolutely filled to the brim with players. We began firing on it, but it was clear we were massively outgunned. I quickly remembered that I was wearing a gas mask w/filter, so I threw the one gas grenade I had right at my feet (and theirs) and ran off into the bushes, escaping while bleeding to death. My gas grenade killed nearly all of them.

Shown: A bunch of people supporting some [CAW] clan guys who are pushing a road with APCs and a Field MG. (img. courtesy of eonwe)

Here are some vids & pics of Goons doing things since coming back to the game:

SeanBeansShako posted:

So multiple video day today.

First, another solid and to the point guide to learning the game from this guy. This time, sapper stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6FpbhHjLY

Next one of several actions from the last few day, first a small bike raid behind enemy lines to mess with their logistics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEl3kO6XVeE

Saturday night, we decide to roll out with the newly introduced Spitfire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf6r6aj4gmw

And lastly a collection of goons in APC's attempting to help pubbies cross a drat bridge under fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t52XamtH4sc

So what sort of teams (Factions) are there for shootmans ?!

There are only two factions in this game. They are the Wardens (in blue) and the Colonials (in green). Goons have an exclusively >> Warden << presence for whatever reason. The devs recently implemented different vehicles and weapons for each side, but these things are not locked to a side absolutely - you CAN go and steal vehicles and guns if you want to.

Other than that both factions use the same resources, buildings, and processes in game. Be aware that once you pick a side you are LOCKED TO THAT SIDE for the duration of that particular war! It is possible to be swapped but you have to do it early on in the war and once swapped you are given a 24 hr. temp ban in order to prevent spying and other metagaming bullshit.

We have such sights to show you !

>>>

:siren: WE INTERRUPT YOUR POST READING FOR THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ! :siren:
One aspect of the game that is not readily apparent but requires mention is that there is a decidedly “communist” approach to how things are “owned” in game. This is best illustrated by the fact that outside what you may have in your personal storage or Refinery output queues, any item or vehicle in the game in any location can be taken by anyone for any purpose. Did your logi guys just submit a dozen crates of grenades to a stockpile after 2 hours farming mats and doing factory orders, and now xXThotDstryr420Xx is throwing them at a rock pile as fast as he can pull them out of storage? That can and will happen. On the flip side blatant wastage is considered griefing and can be reported to mods. Vehicles you are driving can be locked so only you or squad members can use it, but if the vehicle sits unused beyond a certain time anyone can remove the lock! Also if this lock is not engaged, anyone can take things out of the vehicle inventory or get into the vehicle (THIS INCLUDES ENEMY PLAYERS). Why yes in one recent war five of the Wardens high end Battle Tanks were left out in the open in a poorly defended area and were stolen by a bunch of Colonials in barges, why do you ask? :stonk: :stonklol:

Let's watch a highly educational and entertaining video on this subject ! Watch and cry/laugh (depending on faction) as dozens of hours of materials gathering/refining/manufacturing and 1000s of items are dumped into an ocean over a five minute period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdJScNbQf8

Did I mention the "any item or vehicle in the game in any location can be taken by anyone for any purpose" bit ? I'm not sure. OH WELL!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled post reading…

>>>

How do I join the GOON/LLJK clan so I can be ub3r l33t ? :10bux:
The beginnings of the long promised clan/guild/group system were finally released in update v42. You can now proudly wear the [GOON] tag if so desired & hang around with other people who enjoy beating things with a hammer & doing some shootmans. The best way to :getin: & find things to do is to read the following information:

SeanBeansShako posted:

So you want to shoot Colonial butts with Goons and don't know where to begin?

First off, try and get invited into the GOON clan in game, you need to be in the same region as one of the officers. Ask for this in the Discord first thing and meet one of us up in the Home Island deployment zone. All of us with Blue Tags can invite, don't be afraid to DM us or ping us! Make sure you choose Shard 1, as well as Wardens!

After that, you should also get an invite into the active goon squad. Once you are in you get interaction access to our vehicles and can read the squad AND regiment map pins (we should use those pins people, they just added them).

What to do next? Ask in the Discord, check out Objectives sub-channel out and volunteer yourself. In the Stockpile channel we've got the locations and codes for the Goon safe boxes in the Depots for those who are happy to Minecraft logistics. For those that want to fight, ask also in the Discord channel. If you picked an area you want to do mining make sure to spawn in a region with a Goon box in a Depot, we have vehicles stored for you to do the job and travel! remember if you can to lock them with L and put them back in a Goon depot storage when you can!

Discord shy? too busy to join, if you are in the Goon Squad press G! you can talk us anywhere in the game map in it! Please note that the game uses the VIVOX system to implement in game voice communication and VIVOX is sort of poo poo so if you start seeing orange codes like VOICE ERROR [0]-65535 in the chat box, the service fell over and died.

Check the status of the war using this website and see first if any other goons are fighting at the populated fronts with the F1 Menu, which in the Clan section lists information about other GOON comrades including the regions they are fighting in. Pick the region, oh no is there a line and don't want to wait? seek out the border for hex nearby and hoof/truck it to said region, you get priority zoning by marching instead of shipping off from Home Isle!

When you find the front you desire to shed blood, don't forget to constantly set your spawn point at any Town Halls or front line Bunker Bases so if you die you instantly spawn there (as long as they have shirts).

Record your antics and screenshot them, post in the thread to gain awareness too! Oh and if you got Commends, send them to your fellow goons or pubbies that actually do things (Also with F1).

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, it has come to my attention for some reason (griefing?) there is a duplicated GOON clan kicking around. If some of you are legit, you are in the wrong group. Our ID NUMBER which they cannot replicate is #4666.

Press F1 to check who is in the list and online with the regiment group. If you don't see anyone there OR if the number is 4666, we might either have somebody confused and an imposter.

If you are legit and one of us you poor bastard, hook up with us on the Discord and we'll get you in the right group. If you are all SA goons get the gently caress in the proper group already man.

It took almost 2 years for the system prototyped in the above image to be released.

Ok but I’m an eSport loving tryhard who can’t stand pubbies or normies or such and I must be the 2nd coming of DBRB! :parrot:

If you have a deep burning desire to get into a more organized group, there are a significant number of clans present in the game. 99% of the clanned people you find in game have a [TAG] of some kind in their names, such as [82DK], [SIEGE], [SOM], and [22ACR]. International clans are a common thing - as an example [UBRS] is mostly Brazilian Portuguese, [PARS] is Turkish and [SIEGE] has a lot of Filipinos. The Foxhole Official Discord has a channel dedicated to letting clans post recruitment blurbs which describe what they do, what side they are on, requirements and so on and usually a Discord link by which you can contact them.

Be prepared for lots of HOI4 memes

Some :godwin: edgelord is being an annoying jerk in chat/over voice/in world chat/etc., what can I do besides yell :wrongful: at them?

If you are having issues with some other person or persons in game, you have a number of options, some of which oddly enough mirror things here at SA :tinfoil: . All of the following are executed through a not-terribly obvious game menu unfortunately. You can get to this menu by:

1. Pressing the F1 key, finding the offender in the left hand list, then right click their name - This works for anyone in the same hex zone as you but not in close physical proximity.
2. Alt-clicking on a player - if the offender is near you. Does not work if you or the target are in a vehicle or inside of a building.
3. Clicking on a players name in the chat box - only works for people in the same zone as you, about the same effort as using the F1 menu.

You will get the following menu:

Report - when you click this and pick a reason a message is put in zone chat saying "PersonX was reported for ReasonY". This way other people in the zone will know that this person may have done something bad. If the person is reported by other people the reports pile up and after a certain threshold the game auto-bans them for a short time. Initial autos are a few hours but repeat bans can go as far as a week. A full-out perma ban is something only the devs themselves can do. Be aware that if a person is reported using different reasons, the number of reports needed is higher than if everyone picks 1 reason and sticks with it.

Violation Log - Think probation rap sheet. Shows previous ban history and reasons.
Voice Mute - They are ignored on the in-game voice chat so you don't have to listen to them.
Mute - same thing except for all text chat channels

Another thing that was added for moderation purposes a while back was the Comms Rating system. If you press F1 and look at the info at the top, your personal Comms Rating is to the right. Anything said in the Global chat channel has a set of up/down vote arrows next to it now. If what someone typed sucks, downvote it. Useful or informative ? upvote it. Enough downvotes eventually removes that persons ability to use global chat. Unfortunately this system is open to abuse due to the simple fact that you can't get upvoted if you can't use global chat. As a last resort you can press ESC to bring up the game menu & click the SUPPORT button at the bottom. There is a link or section that takes you to an online ticketing system where you can go into detail about problematic people and upload video or screenshots as evidence.

>>>>>>>

OK I got in and I’m standing at a building somewhere and all I have is a hammer and a pistol and the guy next to me is screaming at me in Czechoslovak over voice chat while things explode around me, now what ?

The two main things you can do in the game are Logistics and Fighting.

Logistics

Do you like clicker games? It isn't that bad, really. But there's a lot of clicking. If you like to do logistics things, such as gathering resources and ordering supplies, running materials, ammo, and weapons to besieged outposts, or just want to ferry troops to the front line, you are more than welcome to do that. Every fight needs people like you. This is very literal as apart from a small supply of raw materials & pre-made equipment provided at the start of a war all the in game items, vehicles and structures are produced, created and/or distributed by player labor. Filling a large cargo container with bullets, bombs, and beans, putting it on a truck with a crane and then hauling it across 3 maps to an active front is a fairly common occurrence.

1400 rounds of pistol ammo on a barge. Someone had way too much time on their hands.

The overall way that logistics works in game is that raw materials are gathered, refined into another set of materials, and those materials are used to make things like guns, vehicles, or buildings.

A handy chart of a lot of things that will make you probably hate life pretty soon

There are SIX main in game resources that are used for the war effort: Salvage, Components, Sulphur, Crude Oil, Aluminum and Iron. Salvage is a base material which is converted into 3 other valuable resources. Aluminum and Iron are used for the Tech System..

Raw materials are gathered in three ways: manual mining, auto mining or driving a Harvester. Manual mining is where you go to a resource field somewhere and whack piles of stuff with a hammer or sledgehammer. Auto mines are machines randomly placed on maps that generate raw resources at a slow but steady rate, but require fuel to operate. All you usually have to do is just drive by, grab what’s in the output bin, and go. Auto mines are available for Salvage, Components, Sulfur, and Crude Oil, with Crude Oil being obtained ONLY from an auto mine. Harvesters are a vehicle that looks like a small dump truck with a giant set of grinders on the front of it. All you have to do is drive it over piles of resources while holding down LMB and it vacuums them up and puts them in the cargo area in the back. It is the ultimate resource gathering tool as just 2 of them in tandem can mow down an entire fresh field of resources in no time flat. This makes it a prime target for partisans to steal or destroy so for the love of $DEITY don't leave one out in the wild somewhere !

MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MIIIIINE!

Once you have hammered or hoovered up a pile of stuff you then put the results in a resource box or vehicle, and then haul it to a Refinery for processing. You then throw the raw stuff in, wait a while, and come back to a pile of finished stuff. The refinery uses an input:output ratio while processing, meaning the amount you put in will NOT be the amount you get out ! This ratio starts at 2:1 for Basic Materials and is either 10:1 or 20:1 for everything else - so for every 2 scrap you submit you will get 1 Basic Material back. The amount of processing time is directly tied to what and how much you are trying to refine. Serious logi players can have multiple thousands of raw material in processing with finish times in the multiple hours. You don’t have to wait until the timer reaches zero to get results as the game refines stuff in blocks and dumps a completed block to an output bin when done. You can therefore either get a small amount of something fairly quickly or wait for all of it to process.

"Yeah, I do logi."

Salvage – this is the most valuable and most common raw resource because so much relies on it. Salvage can be turned into Basic materials, Explosive materials, and Diesel fuel. Icon is a pile of junk looking stuff.

Basic material – (aka BMats) Used directly for construction of vehicles, foxholes, bunkers, and other structures, as well as a being a necessary material to make weapons and ammo for your team. Icon looks like a little I beam
Diesel fuel – a basic fuel for all vehicles. Icon looks like a little military gas can.
Explosive material (aka EMats) – Used along with BMats to make the ammunition for various weapons. Icon looks like a little pile of sand

Components – a higher grade of salvage, they are converted into Refined materials (aka RMats) which are needed for making certain vehicles, weapons and defensive structures. Harder to obtain than Salvage and more valuable – a majority of the late game combat vehicles require RMats to produce them. Icon for raw looks like a little hex nut, output looks like a stack of pipes. Raw components are also the base material for making Concrete, which is a material needed to make Tier 3 bunker structures and walls.
Sulfur – chunks of yellow rock that are converted into High Explosive materials (aka HEMats). Functionally similar to EMats and RMats in that they are needed for various high end weapons and ammunitions, and along with Components are rarer than Salvage. Sulfur icon looks like a little pile of rocks, while the HE Mats look like a little box with the top open.
Crude oil – Used to make a higher octane type of fuel with the very generic name of Petrol. Vehicles fueled with Petrol accelerate faster than on Diesel, and it can also be used to boost the output of all automated resource producing mines. This is the least common resource and is annoying to gather because for some reason the only vehicle that can carry Oil Cans is one of the cargo truck types. Icon for raw crude is unsurprisingly an oil barrel. Refined Petrol is a squared off gas can looking… thing.

Once you have a supply of the various refined outputs of the above, you take it to a Factory (Regular or Mass Production, herinafter referred to as MPF) and create a Factory Order for whatever items you want & have the materials for. A Factory has 5 categories of items: Light Arms, Heavy Arms, Tools, Medical, Supplies, and Uniforms. The Mass Production Factory has some, but not all, of the same categories available but has the Vehicle and Shippables tabs, while the normal factory does not.

Something something seizing the means of production

For each category, one normal factory order can be for up to 4 crates of normal items, while the MPF can do 9 item crates or 5 Vehicle or Structure crates. This means that one person at a factory can have a maximum of 24 crates of stuff in production at one time. Also there is a queue system for orders that works on the 1st come, 1st served system, with a max queue depth of 4 for the base Factory and 25 for the MPF. Also each crate produced takes a specific amount of time. When Shirts (talked about below) are in high demand it is not uncommon for the Medical category at a Factory near the front to always be pegged at 4 jobs with a queue time of about 30+ minutes. Medical items take the least amount of time overall while a 4 crate run of Light or Heavy Arms is usually a max of 15-20 minutes.

Light Arms – small caliber weapons such as Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns, and SMGs.
Heavy Arms – bigger things like the HMG, RPG Launcher and other items that use RMats, along with ammunitions such as Mortar Shells, Tank Shells and Artillery shells which use EMats or HEMats,
Tools – Things that help you but don’t go BOOM or BANG. These are such items as Gas Masks & Gas Filters, Sledgehammers (very valuable logi tool), Binoculars and Radios. There is a list of all of them & their uses in the 2nd post ! :hmmyes:
Medical - Factory only – 5 things: Bandages, First Aid Kits, Trauma Kits, Plasma and Soldier Supplies. A few words on related game mechanics: If you are shot and you have the Bleeding indicator lit up (little red raindrop looking icon in upper left corner), that means you have about 20-30 seconds to live unless you have a Bandage or someone else heals you. You will also notice your player avatar spurting blood out randomly while in this state. If you have a Bandage you can apply it which will prevent death but leave you with low HP. Another player with a First Aid kit is required to heal you up to 100%. If you get shot but not immediately killed and fall over onto the ground (aka downed state), you have about 30 seconds for another player to revive you using the Trauma Kit. A recent update added the ability to pick up downed players and move them (and yourself) away from danger before you try to revive them. If you are the type who plays Healer or medic you need to carry both kits, but this prevents you from equipping any weapons except what can go in Slot 2, such as Pistols and some SMG types. But hey if you get good at being a medic people will love you forever and will throw commends at you all day long because respawning and walking back to the fight is a major pain in the rear end, plus you saved a Shirt somewhere. Soldier Supplies (referred to as Shirts or SS) are used to enable spawning at various locations in each map area. When you visit certain buildings you can select that building as your spawn point and as long as there are Shirts available, you will respawn there when killed. If the amount of Shirts hits 0, you get to spawn somewhere else. Many a battle has been won or lost based on how well a particular building or outpost is stocked & routinely supplied with Shirts.
Supply - Factory only – 2 items: Garrison Supplies (aka GSupplies or GSoda) and Bunker Supplies. Garrison Supplies are the pseudo-fuel for maintaining the health of AI controlled defense structures mentioned in the Logi section. No Garrison Supplies = decaying defenses. Always in demand in highly fortified locations. Bunker Supplies are similar to Garrison Supplies except they maintain the health of Bunker pieces only! It is possible to have both Garrison and Bunker Supplies in one base or bunker core, and Garrison Supplies will be consumed before Bunker Supplies.

Sometimes the camera glitches out and you get a random opportunity for a cool as hell wallpaper type screenshot.

Uniforms - Factory AND MPF - Introduced in game v46 Uniforms are the first time that a player has been able to significantly change the appearance and the abilities of the player character. There is now a dedicated Uniform slot in the player inventory and it is changed just like any other slot - you find a Uniform you want and drop it in. Each faction has roughly the same Uniforms. All of them have a slightly reduced inventory slot count (5 or 6 vs standard 8) but make up for it with various things being made less heavy or being able to stack in a slot. For example, the Medic uniform makes the First Aid and Trauma kits weigh much less, but you can't carry much weapon ammo in exchange. There is a Tanker uniform that makes Gas Filters stack & BMats weigh less. Also each side got a uniform specific to the types of weather they might encounter - Wardens got a snow parka and Colonials got a rain coat. Other uniforms include Scouting, Heavy Weapons, and Builders.

Vehicle - MPF only The MPF has the ability to make vehicles in a compressed form called a Crate. This crate is a single object that contains 3 units of a vehicle and can only be transported with a Flatbed. In order to actually use the vehicles you take this crate to a Depot or Seaport, deposit it there, execute an Unpack command on it, and then withdraw the vehicles as needed.
Shippables - MPF Only This is a whole class of items that can only be carried on the back of a Flatbed. This includes the two newest 120mm and 150mm artillery cannons, the Cement Mixer, 68mm AT Gun & Anti-Personnel Flak Gun Emplacements, and Shipping and Resource crates. Game v46 introduced three new shippable items: bulk piles of Barbed Wire, Sandbags, and Tank Traps. No longer are any of these items made directly by a player with a hammer & Bmats, you grab a Sandbag or roll of Barbed Wire off the pile and use that instead. As an added bonus Sandbags and Barbed Wire can now be shaped & curved to a degree, meaning we are no longer stuck with fixed length straight pieces !

This is the world you live in now

Structures and fortifications

You will have dedicated builders, if you're not one of them. Some structures that can be built:
  • Barbed wire
  • Sandbags
  • Foxholes
  • Anti-tank Cannon Turrets removed in v46
  • Emplacement pits
  • Fortified Outposts
  • Bunkers and Trenches
  • Walls and gates

Above image from https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1095379769 - NOTE: Guide is for a seriously outdated game version but the pictures are mostly accurate

"Good job boys, we've created cancer"

Building something is a fairly simple affair: You have the required materials in your inventory (Basic and/or Refined Materials), equip your hammer, bring up a build menu (Default: B key) and select what you want to build. Your mouse pointer will then change to a blue colored copy of what you want to build which you then place where you want by moving it about and then pressing left click. Once this “blueprint” is placed, you and anyone else on your team then hammer on it until it is completed. One common building process is a designated blueprinter places structures while a gang of logi slaves follows behind hammering them into existence. Please note that Sledgehammers CAN NOT BE USED TO BUILD THINGS! The amount of time's I've seen people running in circles yelling I NEED A HAMMER! in certain situations is somewhere in the scientific notation range. When you spawn feel free to ditch your starter pistol if you want but KEEP THE HAMMER.

THAT IS NOT HOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO WORK!

In the current meta of the game Bunker Bases and their associated defenses have mostly supplanted FOBs surrounded with foxholes & barbed wire. Bunker bases have their own foxhole equivalent called a Rifle Garrison. This is simply a bunker piece that has a 360 degree range of fire and is a staple of any defenses placed around a bunker core. There is a directional MG Garrison also available but it is used much less because it only fires in one direction. A type of AT Turret Garrison is also available along with a Howitzer Garrison that will fire at anything that attacks the bunker at range (assuming the attackers are inside its range envelope). The biggest attraction of bunker bases is the ultimate upgrade of a Storm Cannon ! This is a 300mm/11.8 inch cannon that has a range of 1000-1200 meters depending on wind. The Storm Cannon has a special ability in that it can fire into other map hexes! This means that a cannon base near a border CAN attack targets in the neighboring hex, meaning it is possible to ruin someone's day without even being in the same zone as them. The effort to make a base that can support a Storm Cannon is quite considerable, taking (usually) a minimum of 5 real days time to build the needed structures, unlock the needed bunker upgrades, and gather the thousands of BMats and Components needed. But if done correctly you now have a gun that can lay waste to towns without being anywhere near them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHkLqZeDYCs
Press fire button 2 times, town hall goes away, simple as that.

KA-loving--BOOM !!!

During War #85 the GOON crew managed to get a Storm Cannon built and actually used it, let's watch it in action:

SeanBeansShako posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTw1sFfYBWA

For now let us enjoy our beast of big gun and shoot many mans with it.

Be aware that the various pieces of the Bunker & Trench system require a Shovel to start & build the initial Tier 1 pieces, but upgrading the pieces to Tier 2 and beyond still requires Basic Materials, Concrete Materials, and a Hammer.

Some of the larger structures mentioned above require a Construction Vehicle (or CV for short) in order to create them. These are particularly Town Halls, Forward Bases, and Bunker Bases. CVs are built at any functional Town Hall using Basic Materials and looks like a large motorized box on tank treads with a jackhammer arm sticking out of it. A recent game update added the ability for CVs to make most forms of defense structures (when they couldn’t before) and do so at a rate 3x what you would get with a single person using a hammer. You can play SimCity to your heart’s desire, and defenses are insanely effective if done properly.

Welcome to Castle Goon, now with newly installed moat !

All defensive structures that have weapons (foxholes, bunkers, AT turrets and others) are run by a crude AI which works on one simple principle: Is there an enemy person or vehicle in view and/or in range? IF ANSWER = Yes GOTO “OPEN FIRE!” This AI has no concept of fratricide and will happily mow you down if you are in the way. These AI driven defenses can be attached to a central structure (FOB, town hall, fort) and will require a sort of fuel analog (called Garrison Supplies in game, see logi section above) in order to prevent decay. If you blow up the central hub the connected defenses will turn off after 10 minutes! Also if structures are not within 150 meters of a source of Garrison Supplies they will still function but will take damage over time eventually causing them to self-destruct! This is the process referred to as “decay” in game.

Some of the vehicles that exist in game: :killdozer: :gifttank:
  • Supply Truck (multiple variants)
  • Tanker Truck
  • Dump Truck (not kidding)
  • Transport Bus
  • Harvester (late game, high value)
  • Heavy Transport truck (aka flatbed)
  • Rowboat
  • Barge
  • Motorcycle (with sidecar, multiple variants)
  • Armored Car (multiple variants)
  • Half-track (multiple variants)
  • Gunboat (multiple variants)
  • Landing APC (multiple variants)
  • Cargo Ship
  • Landing Ship
  • Light/Medium/Heavy Tank (multiple variants, both factions)
  • Scout Tank/Tankettes
  • Assault Tank (multiple variants)
  • Heavy (or Battle) Tank (multiple variants, removed by devs for reworking)
  • Construction Vehicle
  • Mobile Crane
  • Field MG

Goon Armored Cav on the way to gently caress something up

All but the man-powered Field MG and Field Artillery require fuel. All armed vehicles require their ammo be created and placed into the inventory of the vehicle. You can't just build a tank, throw in gas and roll out. You will need solid logistics to properly supply it with whatever ammunition it uses. Half-tracks and Field MGs use 12.7mm ammo now as 14.5mm was removed from the game. All vehicles use a hit point & armor system and there are no numbers or %s displayed anywhere, the appearance of the vehicle degrades as it takes damage. Vehicles are immobilized (but not destroyed) when their hit points reaches a particular low % point. Repairs are performed by using a hammer and Basic materials.

Vehicle creation is again a fairly simple process. What does this "again" mean ? In update 0.26 the vehicle creation system was seriously revamped into a process where you first had to build Construction Parts for what you wanted to make at a Construction Yard. Producing Construction parts required Refined materials, with the required amount being anywhere from the low hundreds to several thousand. Once completed you then had an item that suspiciously looked like a cargo pallet of Amazon boxes that then needed to be delivered and deposited into a Vehicle Factory. A single box of parts enabled the Vehicle Factory to build five units of whatever vehicle parts that were deposited. This whole system was ripped out entirely in Update 0.29. This removal was prompted by the fact that the cost of a package of (for example) Heavy Tanks (the ultimate endgame tank) was 2000 Refined materials ! With the 20:1 refine ratio for Components to Refined materials that meant you and/or other people needed to obtain and refine 40,000 Components in order to make this package. You could not make just one Heavy Tank. The resulting scarcity of certain end-game vehicles angered parts of the playerbase and the the constant barrage of negative feedback finally made the devs revert this system back to very close to what was before 0.26

REMINDER: The Devs do not like hoarding.

As it is now all you will need is a sufficient amount of Basic OR Refined materials (depending on the vehicle), a hammer, possibly some fuel, and some time. If you need a vehicle NOW you can go to a Vehicle Factory and select the vehicle you want (assuming it is unlocked in the tech tree)and build it right then and there. Click the vehicle icon in the building menu and a blue outline of a vehicle will appear in the factory bay (this is the same idea as building blueprints) and you then have to hammer on it until it becomes solid, using up Basic or Refined materials in the process. Once that’s done, you fuel it up and drive off to adventure! If you don't need one right now or want to save on materials you can use the MPF to create boxes of vehicles, which have 3 per box and you can make up to 5 boxes at once for a total of 15 vehicles.

A general note about vehicles: Many of them have a horn button (left mouse), so If you're running in the road and you hear a horn, move! You will not believe how frequently players are run over. Do NOT idle or walk in the middle of any roads, YIELD TO THE VEHICLES!

Good thing we have an endless supply of PTEs

Fighting in the Global Campaign :tfrxmas: :blastu:

Global Campaign is 95% of what you will play in this game. The Wardens and Colonials are given a set of areas on generally opposite sides of the world map as their starting points, the devs blow a whistle and after that it’s OFF TO THE FIGHTING! This is where you can do full scale assaults, beach landings, go lone wolf, or go sneaking behind enemy lines with friends to gently caress up their logi routes. You can do all of this and more ! Winning is determined by how many Victory Towns a team holds at one time. Each map zone can have one or more of these special towns, and the amount required usually equates to holding 75% or more of the overall map.

Things you can shoot/throw/launch at other players:
  • Pistols (.45 1911 style, .357 Magnum revolver, broomhandle Mauser)
  • Shotgun (Remington 870 pump action style)
  • Rifle (Kar98 bolt action analog, multiple variants)
  • Carbine (M1 Carbine)
  • SMG (MP40, other fictitious types)
  • Storm Rifle (fictitious Assault Rifle, multiple variants)
  • Grenades (Frag, Poison Gas, High Explosive, Shrapnel, and Anti-Vehicle)
  • RPG launcher (WW2 bazooka), multiple variants (Anti-vehicle, Anti-structure)
  • Sniper Rifle (mostly useless, 1 model for each faction)
  • LMG (WW1 era Lewis gun)
  • HMG (.50 M2 Browning, other fictitious types)
  • Bayonet (attachment for Rifle)
  • Mortar (82mm - HE, Flare or Shrapnel rounds)
  • Artillery Emplacements (120mm and 150mm)
  • Other Emplacements (68mm AT gun or twin 12.7mm HMGs)
The majority of weapons follow a typical "movement + rapid fire = inaccurate" system for accuracy. The general accuracy of a weapon is shown by the size of and how much the in game cross-hairs expand after every shot. A player crouching and not moving will have very accurate fire, especially with the basic Rifle.

World (of) Geometry

For the majority of the game’s history the orientation of the conflict was North/South, with the Wardens to the north and the Colonials to the south. A game update added functionality to apply some RNG aspects to the war. The result of this is that War #31 was the first on an East/West orientation, with the Wardens to the east and Colonials to the west. Another RNG affected aspect is the location of the various raw resource fields and mines. Prior to the 0.26 update they were in fixed, known locations. This is no more with the locations now being RNG chosen up to a certain point.

The other 5% of the game is the in-between wars time, called the Resistance phase. This is sort of a bonus round in that players just keep fighting but are given an opportunity to create and hide stashes of certain late game weapons, tools or ammo for use in the opening of the next war. The entirety of the Resistance phase concept was poo poo-canned due to the devs not realizing that there would be some try-hards on each side who had no problem stashing away several thousand crates of advanced end-game items in order to completely gently caress up the opposite faction come next war start. As of now the war pretty much just keeps going post victory but is not really taken seriously until the next announced war start.

Tech Tree

Tech tree - Top line left is start, bottom line right is end.

Both factions in the game use identical and fairly simple linear tech trees, starting with simple items such as Bayonets, First Aid Kits, Shotguns and SMGs. The middle and end of the tree has things such as Light Tanks, Battle Tanks, Half Tracks, and parts for a very destructive player launchable V2 style rocket, which can be used to obliterate whole towns permanently. Players obtain Tech parts by gathering certain resources, refine them and then use Research parts to unlock items on the tree. Early items usually require a few hundred or so tech parts with later items being in the multiple thousand range. In true Foxhole fashion the just mentioned system was ripped out and replaced by a multi-level unlock system that is fueled by Aluminum & Iron, materials which ONLY comes from scrapping at a scrap field. Yep, that's right, a major core game system is powered entirely by people doing what is probably the least favorite task in the whole game. In short, you gather Aluminum to unlock handheld weapons (and other stuff) while Iron is for the Vehicle side of the tree. These resources are gathered, refined, and then taken to a Technology Center and "spent" to progress the unlocking of a weapon or vehicle.

Ranks and Levels

The game has a ranks and levels system sort of implemented, but this system is currently pretty much for show only. You gain ranks by having other players “commend” you (they give you a thumbs up/+1/compliment for doing stuff) and you are automatically promoted once you hit a certain amount. The ranks go from Private up to Field Marshal. The only thing affected by your rank so far is the ability to create in game squads and regiments is unlocked once you have attained the rank of Staff Sergeant.

Other Stuff

TBD

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WE INTERRUPT YOUR THREAD READING FOR THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM THE MAKERS OF FOXHOLE !

CURRENT GAME VERSION AS OF THIS EDIT: 0.49.7.8
PATCH NOTES: https://www.foxholegame.com/post/update-49-release-notes
CURRENT WAR: #95
CURRENT WAR START: 1:00 p.m. EST August 11th, 2022 :commissar: :tfrxmas:

Side Notes:

War #83 set the new record for longest war, clocking in at about 36 days 17 hours duration !
War #93 set a new record for a comeback by a faction ! Colonials were at 30 of 32 required Victory Point towns and then something happened and the Wardens came back to win :eyepop: !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Update 48/49 New Things Combo Listing!!!

Update 49 / Last update June 23rd 2022:
More Tanks ! - Collies get an RPG Tank & Wardens get a ATR Tank !
Improved Vehicle physics ! - "I Believe I Can Fly" was a literal statement (and not just a song title) for a while till they fixed it !
Yet another tl;dr patchnotes situation ! - 3+ more pages of other tweaks/changes/bug fixes !

Update 48 / Last update April 1st 2022:
New Uniforms ! - Body Armor & Officer uniforms added !
Grenade Launchers are back ! - See if you can land a grenade in an open topped vehicle ! SUCK IT COLLIES !
Literal tl;dr list of game fixes/balance changes ! - This list is like 4-5 screens tall on my computer so I'm not even gonna try so there

GAME UPDATE v0.47 RELEASED WITH WAR #86 !

Prototype system messed with! - Vehicle prototyping has been changed ! Prototypes will cost less Iron, can be built at Garages for 100 BMats, can be repaired now but will have less armor than a full version (if its something with armor). Also a 3rd tech material, in the form of Copper, has been added and is related to tank research in some fashion.
Cinematic Camera! - some new camera mode that zooms in on the player and makes everything all pretty looking. Intended for those who want to make pretty looking screenshots and is not intended for actual combat use.
No Mans Land changes! - destroyed trenches and such now have actual models you will be able to walk in and take cover in, so no more walking over a bunch of broken timbers and such.
Tripod mounted weapons! - the long promised plethora of tripod mountable guns is here ! True Heavy MGs and a number of different Anti-Vehicle weapons are the initial releases.
Half-Tracks changed/buffed! - Half-Tracks now have a universal mount on top that can accept any of the tripod mountable weapons! Light AT HTs are now a thing. Also they have been given a small number of passenger seats in the rear.
Field Bridges! - Player buildable bridges are now a thing! This is another thing that players have been asking about for years. They use Metal Bars, can be used to cross smaller rivers and climb up slopes. While they can support lighter vehicles such as logi trucks and Armored Cars trying to drive anything much heavier will crush (read: destroy) the bridge in question.
New AC variants! - Colonials got a RPG type, Wardens got an ATRPG type.
More Mines = More Resources ! - the number of resource producing mine machines in the world was roughly doubled! A number of places will now have two or three mines clustered together ! AK-47s SCRAP FOR EVERYBODY !
A number of small QoL things! tl,dr; Just read this -> https://i.imgur.com/3c1Z4Iu.png
Actual foreign language support coming! - the devs have actually started work in getting the game properly translated into a number of foreign languages. German, Russian, French, Portuguese and Chinese are up first.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MOST RECENT MAJOR RELEASE - FOXHOLE: ENTRENCHED

The latest major iteration of Foxhole was released on September 22nd, 2021 with the start of War #83. This was a very popular update as the previous peak population record was almost broken when 5,578 people were playing at once on Day 1 of release !

Some of the more interesting things are listed below:
  • Map Expansion! - 14 more zones are being added, 7 for each side, to the north and south ends of the existing world.
  • New World Buildings! - New Town Hall type buildings & a whole new art style for buildings in the south end of the world.
  • In-Game View Camera Changes! - Expanded field of view & other stuff.
  • New Rifles! - Each side is getting a couple of brand new rifles, some are semi-auto, some are long range capable.
  • Uniforms! - Players can now select one of 7 or 8 new optional Uniforms! Each Uniform provides slightly different gameplay changes that enables the player to do certain roles more efficiently. For example the Wardens get a heavy snow coat so they won't freeze to death as quickly in cold weather and the Medic uniform provides buffs to carrying medical equipment.
  • New Pillboxes! - the old school Foxholes & AT Gun Turrets are being retired in favor of new Pillboxes. These structures are functionally identical but have much newer models. Also a HMG Pillbox is being added.
  • Many changes to the Bunker & Trench building system! - Many different QOL changes & some new things to play with, including a big rear end radar antenna that can tap into enemy intel sources!
  • New Tanks! - The Colonials got a new Heavy Tank (NOT A BT) and the Wardens got a new Medium Tank!
  • Logi Changes! - With the considerably expanded game area the devs made Freighters a Day 0 unlock, buffed Flatbeds speed a bit and added a 2nd higher capacity cargo box (60 items vs 40 items) !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PREVIOUS MAJOR RELEASE:

Q: Hey it's been over a year since I played this/read this thread, whats doings now ?
A: Short answer, a hell of a lot. A recent update to the game (v42 / Winter Army) has been popular enough that the game set new a new population record on March 16th at 3,269 players March 21st at 4,583 March 23rd at 5,412 March 27th at 5,657 players and has had prime time peak populations in the 2500-3000 range since the war started. Also probably didn't hurt the game was on sale and made it to the Steam Store front page for a while AND was recently played by a Twitch streamer who is like the #3 most popular in France or something so the number of French :france: speaking newbs has just loving exploded.

The game was at v29 the last time the OP & 2nd post were updated in October 2019 :wtc:. Here's a roughly chronological list of some of the more major game mechanic changes. This is not an exhaustive list and If you want the full 411 tl;dr :eyepop: experience on everything check out https://foxhole.gamepedia.com/Updates

• Squad system was fiddled with, along with the addition of a cover & suppression system. You now get a handy icon showing if you are in good/bad cover and/or being shot at.
  • Tech tree system ripped out & replaced at least twice. Still gotta grind for stuff or gather votes to unlock tech in various places.
  • Trenches and Bunkers ! You can now take a shovel and play Mole Man to your hearts content. After an initial period of people figuring things out bunkers & trench constructs have pretty much taken the place of FOB tents & foxhole defenses in-game. This addition also enabled the use of a gently caress off huge 300mm / 11.8 inch emplacement gun that can shoot ACROSS ZONE BORDERS!
  • Medic system expanded ! You can now drive a WEE-WOO Ambulance to a Hospital or Medical Tent if you want to & carry wounded people around & recycle dead player corpses into shirts if you want to (I'm not kidding).
  • Private item & material storage in Refinery & new Depot/Seaport buildings! The devs finally caved to the pressure and added the ability to securely store raw materials, finished items & vehicles to a certain degree. Every player now has access to multiple private banks to hoard crap ! Also what was known as the "refinery glitch" was officially embraced and now you are NO LONGER FORCED to take stuff out of the refinery in order to add more in. The trade off is your various storages have an inactivity timer that dumps everything to public if you don't touch it for 48 hours. One of the added storage buildings is accessable by water to encourage water based logi.
  • Mass Production Factories added ! These are a 2nd type of factory where you trade processing time (multiple hours) for a materials discount (up to 50%) & being able to make more stuff in 1 job (9 crates per job). You can also make bulk batches of vehicles (up to 15 at time) in this factory.
  • Vehicle Physics and Variants ! The entire vehicle physics system was ripped out & redone and a bunch more vehicles added. Wheeled vehicles now move in a more realistic fashion and can do things like fishtails & 180s if done correctly. Combat vehicles now have a separate armor stat that determines if shells/bullets fired at them either bounce or penetrate. As to variants, certain vehicles were given different versions that can do slightly different things with different pros and cons. For example the Wardens now have access to a half-truck, meaning a truck with tank treads in place of drive wheels. This truck has 1 slot less for carrying stuff but is MUCH faster when going offroad! Almost every vehicle in the game has a variant type now. This goes in hand with...
  • Faction Asymmetry ! The devs finaly took a big jump with the introduction of the vehicle variants mentioned above. They have started giving each faction some vehicles/items that the other faction does not have ! The latest update (v42) added a large pile of weapon variants with a bunch of anti-vehicle types added.
  • Many buildings now immune to gunfire ! Another recent big change is that most buildings (including foxholes) in the game are now immune to damage from weapons below a certain caliber. Gone now are the days of being able to grind down a town hall using massed SMG & Rifle gunfire. Most structure damage is now via the use of High Explosive grenades (which are incredibly cheap to make now) and artillery/indirect fire.
  • All in-game indirect fire weapons messed with ! There are now multiple sizes and types of artillery type weapons. Overall the accuracy of all artillery type weapons was reduced, meaning that they were changed to more of an area effect weapon. Areas hit by large amounts of artillery fire now accumulate craters and the trees/shrubs are destroyed. Also the physics of shell flight were updated to be affected by wind, which is part of...
  • Weather system added ! One thing repeatedly asked for by the playerbase has been weather effects in some fashion. Well it's here now and boy howdy ! Currently there are Snow and Rain effects implemented. You can now freeze to death if you don't keep warm somehow, and terrain that has been rained on hard enough turns to mud which can slow down people on foot. These effects are semi-random in location/time/intensity.
  • Regiment System implemented ! Another thing that people have been wanting since forever is an actual clan/guild/group system. The beginnings of this system are now implemented ! A group tag can be up to 5 characters in length and follows the blah#identifier system, meaning tags are non-exclusive. Also this tag is INDEPENDENT of your Steam name ! There's not much in this system currently (3 ranks & you can see where everyone is in game) but it will assuredly be expanded on.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How to join the beta test server when it is active:

quote:

How to get the build
  • Go to the BETAS tab on the Foxhole Steam Properties window and select "devbranch - player testing environment" then close that window.
  • This will then download new files which could be anywhere from a few megs to 1-2 gigs in size.
  • Launch the game & when you are on the "Join War" screen click the "Change" button in the upper right corner, then select "DevBranch" from the list. After that click the "Play" button as you would normally.
:siren: NOTE: This process basically replaces the live version of the game on your computer with the beta version! It is NOT a second, separate install as some games do it ! YOU WILL NEED TO SWITCH BACK TO "None" AGAIN in order to play on the live server again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
STUFF PEOPLE MIGHT FIND USEFUL OR INFORMATIVE ! :science:

SeanBeanShako posted:

A BRIEF GUIDE TO THE EQUIPMENT OF FOXHOLE
This game has a lot of weapons and gadgets to play with and can be a little bit overwhelming for the first time player booting it up, as I imagine you don't want the scenario to be yelled at for wasting something or not understanding how your gear works before your soldier gets turned into paste by whatever just killed you.
So here is a very brief and to the point guide with those starting out.
  • HAMMER: This is used for mining salvage when doing logistics, as well as repairing vehicles and with basic materiels (BMATS) building things. Very light and you spawn with one.
  • SLEDGE HAMMER: The tech'd upgrade of previous, used for mining compoments out of rechs for technology tree upgrades, harvesting sulfur and also ensures a much faster collection of salvage than the hammer. Slightly heavy to carry.
  • WRENCH: Used to unlock non squad locked vehicles for your use, as well as disarming AT mines, traps and taking down barbed wire. Light to carry.
  • BINOCULARS: When equipped doubles the seeing distance for you by two screens. Great for scouting and spotting for artillery. Light.
  • SHOVEL: Use this bad boy if you want to help double down and dig it for building up the new bunkers and trenches. Slightly heavy.
  • RADIO: Very important, for offense and defense. Carrying one ensures your map reports refresh every few seconds IF YOUR FACTION HAS THE RADIO TOWERS UP. Very light.
  • RADIO BACKPACK: Used to target things for the end game V2 rocket, has no other purpose in the game currently. Does otherwise act as a normal radio but is Midlly heavy,
  • GAS MASK AND FILTERS: Stops you from dying when exposed after several seconds to gas grenades. Very useful if you need to squat in a trench or Foxhole. Without out you die. Filters are not optional. Light and if in stock always reccomended.
  • BANDAGES: If your soldier is midlly injured and bleeding out this stops death. Suggested carrying at least two if you can. Super fluffy light, It is gauze.
  • FIRST AID KID: Holds ten bandages you take seperately from the pool, stops bleeding and cleans up the sauce from your lovely powder blue uniform. Mildly light. Turns the bandages in player inventory into ten healing charges that can be topped up by holding onto more bandages.
  • TRAUMA KIT AND BLOOD PLASMA VIAL: These two go together and if a medic is quick enough prevents death from the bleed out stage. Like the First Aid kit must be equipped to use and over the body of the dying soldier. Kit is slightly heavy while the vials are very light but a revive uses one up.

SeanBeanShako, again posted:

How do I change my gender and skin tone!?

Simply approach one of the barrack huts and press E! a window will pop up.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Something to add to the OP, at the end of the basic training section on the Home Island is a very important corner.

It's the firing range. At the firing range you have access to all infantry weaponry and grenades and unlimited ammo, I highly suggest spending some time if you are new just trying out everything and getting used to how shooting works with the game.

Visual explanations of almost every icon & abbreviation/slang term in the game:

and here's a MORE WORDS LESS PICTURES PLZ/more exhaustive version of the above images:

quote:

When communicating information via text, clear and concise messages are key. To a new player, the influx of requests that use a slew of abbreviations can seem a little overwhelming. This (ongoing) guide is to help players, new and old, with understanding what's what in Foxhole.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1638165784

This guy makes silly Flash-esque videos of Foxhole stuff usually but recently he's been putting out some decent tutorial videos for the game. So if you want the LESS WORDS MORE MOVING PICTURES PLZ way to learn how to play, give this a click !

Noob starting guide for bunker base construction: (find credit: Nine of Eight on Discord)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 9, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That new thread smell. Also the devs are aware of how these lopsided resource spawns have made the last two wars a bit of a boring one-sided mess and have mentioned working on fixes for how they're distributed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This is a fun game with some good friends and a plan.

Or just willingness to take as much down with you and and be surrounded by the half full packs of your defeated foes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nice op

taters
Jun 13, 2005

If you've played this game before, there have been a large amount of changes and additions since the OP of the old thread. I'll try to see what I can remember here.

Total overhaul of logistics, many new logistics vehicles and buildings.
Auto generating mines.
Armored Car. Early game fighting vehicle.
Between war Resistance phase where you can bury higher-tech gear that you can dig up at the start of the next war (some items restricted).
You can see the inventory of a base by hovering the mouse pointer in the world map.
Completely new, larger world with more maps.
More boat types, docks and waterways.
Expanded Jeep inventory.
New fueling system. Fuel tankers.
Massive overhaul of urban areas; almost all buildings are enter-able now.
Safehouses and Forts: new permanent (you still have to build them to claim them, but the structure is permanent like a town hall) bases can do all the stuff that the old bases could. Safehouses can be upgraded to be immune to damage from the outside too; they have to be stormed.
Sort-able base inventory with a log of deposits and withdrawals.
Special Relic vehicles that spawn randomly around the maps (currently disabled pending balance adjustment, but they own)
You can see map intel on all maps with a radio.
Huge Battle Tanks with a 5 man crew that can be repaired from the inside.
Somali pirate boats. Personal favorite.
Better, more informative HUD: You now have an icon for bleeding, gas mask status, hidden etc.
Gas is much more powerful now that you need extra filters for the mask to keep protecting you. Neither gas or filters stack.
Sticky bombs more powerful. Storm rifle semi-auto much better.
Vaulting over low objects, climbing.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of quality of life stuff too.

Here's a video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AufSfxeJtss

taters fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 13, 2019

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
It's a beauty

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Another pretty short war is over. Hopefully they're able to get the balance right on the next one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

Another pretty short war is over. Hopefully they're able to get the balance right on the next one.

yeah I just sort of let this one go

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I've had some truly stellar experiences with this game but at the same stroke, the highs don't combat the lows nearly enough. Its inaccessible for anti-social motherfuckers such as me who just wanna do a war but don't wanna join a clan or schedule 'playtime' like some kind've mantoddler.

I need a grunt mode where I get stuffed into a squad and a man with a riding crop grabs me by the helmet from spawn and points and shouts what to do and where to go.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 14, 2019

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

I've had some truly stellar experiences with this game but at the same stroke, the highs don't combat the lows nearly enough. Its inaccessible for anti-social motherfuckers such as me who just wanna do a war but don't wanna join a clan or schedule 'playtime' like some kind've mantoddler.

I need a grunt mode where I get stuffed into a squad and a man with a riding crop grabs me by the helmet from spawn and points and shouts what to do and where to go.

1. Go to foxholestats.com, see which map hex has the highest casualty rates going on - look for little pulsing dots colored anywhere from blue/green to orange/red
2. Launch game, go to that map hex, yell in zone chat "Where's the fighting at ?", probably get 2-5 replies.
3. Go there, shoot mans.

Alternatively, look for the player named [Grom]Hellscream in world chat and go wherever that guy is & offer to be his slave.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Motherfucker posted:

If you can learn to wrangle pubbies and improvise with a cool head instead of screaming that they should be executed by firing squad then you can make just as big of an impact in the war cycle as any clan out there.

Also the more experienced you get with the different ways to solve common problems in the game, the more effective your operations will be.

edit-- I got 3rd place for this past war!

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 14, 2019

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
They may have added bigger tanks, more explosives which are a giant pain in the rear end to make, changed the purpose of the GLA tunnel networks several times and made logistics mildly less opaque but you can always expect pubbies to expend resources on the biggest monuments of stupidity and waste their minds can muster.

If you meet a builder on the road building a gate inside a town, kill them.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Game is good, even if death comes suddenly. I've found shooting at where shots come from off screen - or just shooting to explore and see if anyone shoots back - is good policy.

Back when this game first came out I remember having great fun with the field machine guns, but this last war (even though it was quick and Wardens didn't have a lot of rmats) I saw none and was sad.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Delacroix posted:

They may have added bigger tanks, more explosives which are a giant pain in the rear end to make, changed the purpose of the GLA tunnel networks several times and made logistics mildly less opaque but you can always expect pubbies to expend resources on the biggest monuments of stupidity and waste their minds can muster.

If you meet a builder on the road building a gate inside a town, kill them.

I hate engineers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All that is missing the needlessly hoarded lorries in a car park in the middle of nowhere.

I really want us to have our numbers and a designated game night back as this game is a blast when we show up and actually manage to get stuff going. This game is a fantastic clusterfuck simulator.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Love Stole the Day posted:

If you can learn to wrangle pubbies and improvise with a cool head instead of screaming that they should be executed by firing squad then you can make just as big of an impact in the war cycle as any clan out there.

Also the more experienced you get with the different ways to solve common problems in the game, the more effective your operations will be.

edit-- I got 3rd place for this past war!

That's you?? I was randomly in one of your ops recently and remember specifically enjoying it because you were a calm and confident leader. Good job soldier

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There's a dev branch up right now Info Here. During these the devs are quite responsive and is the best time to toss ideas at them.

Some very good prospective changes.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

2nd post populated with infos & such

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man I miss hauling my MG about and just shooting walls of lead at dudes in this.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Feels pretty dumb that the devs are really committed to this RNG resource distribution when manual placement is probably more interesting and balanced.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It has helped make specific cities worth pushing towards either to take or at least disrupt so it's at least an interesting mechanic. The components in particular being weighted more heavily to the backline should help smooth out the big problems with the system.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The new war starts Tueday. I don't care which discord you get on, but lets get on VOIP and do some poo poo

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Danann posted:

Feels pretty dumb that the devs are really committed to this RNG resource distribution when manual placement is probably more interesting and balanced.

I think its good actually? Combating known quantity is gong to be a big one for this game, if every war was laid out exactly the same soon would form optimal strats and you'd wind up with an exaggerated version of my current problem which is where after only 32 hours of play I'd rather get shot for realsies than hold another fuckin' bridge.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I think its good actually? Combating known quantity is gong to be a big one for this game, if every war was laid out exactly the same soon would form optimal strats and you'd wind up with an exaggerated version of my current problem which is where after only 32 hours of play I'd rather get shot for realsies than hold another fuckin' bridge.
I've found the different starting locations to be more influential than the resources since the former's going to determine where initial pushes end up smashing into each other and how reliable supply lines from factory towns are formed. Putting the latter on RNG just means that the team with a big disadvantage in resources is losing in slow motion when their rush peters out which is pretty lovely considering how it plays out in hours and days.

Rynoto posted:

It has helped make specific cities worth pushing towards either to take or at least disrupt so it's at least an interesting mechanic. The components in particular being weighted more heavily to the backline should help smooth out the big problems with the system.

Tbh I haven't seen much change in this matter frontline or logistics when resources are randomized. Stonecradle, Kirknell, and Weathering Halls have been dual factory towns three times in a row and the times it got shaken up was when the Colonials started out with Stonecradle in their possession. Farranac Coast on a north-south orientation is always going be a meat grinder on Apollo's, Loch Mor is perpetually contested because of that weird peninsula town, Deadlands is a black hole of shirts and ammo on the river crossings, etc.

The game just flat out doesn't have much mechanics to do something interesting with an asymmetrical distribution of resources (especially since the implementation of 'scarcity') in comparison to other games like Civilization or Endless Space/Legends.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
New war should be up in 30ish minutes. You all should think about joining the far superior colonials and not the dumb wehraboo wardens.
E: Update is live for download.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 16, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

SeanBeansShako posted:

All that is missing the needlessly hoarded lorries in a car park in the middle of nowhere.

That was my experience at Fort Viper last night. 30 empty trucks randomly parked around everything. That and everyone lining up to die pointlessly on the rocks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rynoto posted:

New war should be up in 30ish minutes. You all should think about joining the far superior colonials and not the dumb wehraboo wardens.
E: Update is live for download.

At the moment goons are split between two Discord channels playing this and asking a majority of us to consider switching from a faction most of us have been playing since the first steps in early access two years ago is going make it harder to get together and drive this war in a vaguely competent direction.

Plus I really don't feel giving up and letting the Nazis take over a thing I like. Call me old fashioned and all. If we get enough people interested in the game we could even perhaps give people on the Wardens a group of peeps who are not scumbags to play with and effect the game in a positive manner. Crazy talk I know.

I also feel we need to establish at least one night a week we can all try and get in and use the goon discord channel.

If you people hear toxic Nazi stuff being spouted by either side in VOIP record footage of the drat thing and report them in game. I know it sucks but sadly this is the reality of the world we live in now.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Tonight we are doing Foxhole night and have 6 goons committed to play just FYI. New war, new goons playing, gonna be fun.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

2nd post updated a little bit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nice job taking Linn of Mercy tonight

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
Wardens have won the war! War 34 will be starting at 11AM EDT on Wednesday, July 24th.

Behold the great container wall! A marvel of wartime engineering.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

The next war will have 4 of the maps removed, the 2 in the nw and se (map is in the Update channel on the official discord). This should funnel most of the fighting into Lin, Deadlands and Drowned Vale.

I speculate Wardens wrapped this one up so quick by several of the "neutral" clans stacking Warden this war. The numbers seemed about 3 to 2 Warden advantage most of the war. Hopefully the next one is more even and we can at least get light tanks.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

taters posted:

I speculate Wardens wrapped this one up so quick by several of the "neutral" clans stacking Warden this war. The numbers seemed about 3 to 2 Warden advantage most of the war. Hopefully the next one is more even and we can at least get light tanks.

While this was a big factor it also didn't help that Wardens started with Tempest Island and its manufacturing hub which is significantly easier to defend and use than Oarbreakers'.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Minor edits to OP (screwed up how Garrison Supplies work) and added Harvester blurb to 2nd post. No actual date for v28 was mentioned in today's dev stream. War #34 kicks off tomorrow at 11AM EST, so get yer guns & hammers ready !

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

We are doing this for Game Night again in the Gamers discord. Got some new players jumping in too. 7PM CT for a nice evening rush. All are welcome. If you’re new, we will help. :)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Some guys decided to go on a trolling spree by building forts all over Colonial territory and somehow managed to sneak into the Heartlands. Goons and randos spawned in looking for trucks, and then we happened upon a truck with SMGs and SMG magazines. Things cascaded into us killing and looting enough Colonial troops and vehicles to upgrade the fort and have our own arsenal with which to fight Colonials at parity in the day. A big success considering our threadbare start where even pistol ammo was scarce.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all in all we probably cost them 500 SMG reloads, tons of SMGs, couple hundred shirts, LMGs, LMG reloads, grenades, lots of trucks, lots of scrapping opportunities

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Steam Top Releases posted:

Hell Let Loose - Just arrived into Early Access - WWII FPS with 100 player battles and a strategic meta game including a dynamically shifting front line and resource management.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The amount of non-sunken defenses left alive behind friendly lines is absolutely criminal. A lot of them were pretty fresh too meaning any Colonial nite crew overrunning our front line doesn't have to spend time and material rebuilding them. They only need a fresh injection of Uparts to turn on the AI defenses.