Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Getting run over, and running people over is just a part of the game. Especially once larger combat vehicles come out - new players instinctively want to stand behind them which just ends with lots of squished infantry.

It doesn't help that the sound is humorous and satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Trucks used to be super cursed. Just looking at them would kill you. Also which one of you was bullying my truck with the 2 man crew at ;_;

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

My favorite roadkill was when I was flooring a nitrused-up spitfire down that huge hill in the warden backline and 2/3 of the way down some dude was struggling overloaded across the road. I barely even saw him go under the wheels.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I know this spot. We gotta try this next war lol.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
:siren: DEVSTREAM 2PM EST TOMORROW ! Update 43 preview and 1.0 release is on the docket apparently. :siren:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In other words for those who browse threads briefly, the early access era of the game is a few weeks away from ending.

Also, I've been experimenting with video editing and made a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsGvM2M2erQ

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Game is nowhere near release ready and I have severe doubts it will be any closer after the 1.0 patch.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rynoto posted:

Game is nowhere near release ready and I have severe doubts it will be any closer after the 1.0 patch.

How so?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

There are still years old bugs and exploits that have never been touched, let alone fixed. And they've proven particularly resistant to even addressing their existence.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

S w a y z e posted:

My favorite roadkill was when I was flooring a nitrused-up spitfire down that huge hill in the warden backline and 2/3 of the way down some dude was struggling overloaded across the road. I barely even saw him go under the wheels.

Somehow I have 60 hours in this game over the course of a month, Gedder in game. Favorite activities thus far in no particular order:
  • Raiding with goons - severe regret that I didn't join the goon discord earlier, I think I had 40 hours before joining up and this game is infinitely better with a team.
  • Depositing starting gear and chasing down Colonials with my bare hands. This works 1/10 times and is very entertaining. Bonus points if you get them to shoot each other.
  • Scavenging tons of good gear and immediately losing it over and over again (the gap in the wall full of machine gun fire was me dying about 5 times in the exact same spot). This generally happens if I find gear before I find colonials.
  • During an interregnum between wars I was on a raid with two randoms - we were able to do slight damage to a half track but weren't able to destroy it. We ran off map, turned around and ran over the driver who was trying to repair it. Free half track and mats! Running over enemies is actually incredibly satisfying.
  • edit: stealing vehicles. Holy poo poo stealing vehicles.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 7, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welcome to another vehicle briefing soldiers, today we shall be looking at the early war workhorse of our constantly being dismantled and disarmed but rebuilt the moment when the ink is dry armoured vehicle fleet.

The O'Brien is an armoured car useful for booming and zooming our foes putting the fear of whatever they call god up them until they find either a machine gun or something explosive. During <insert war number here> at some point you will be inside one of these things as their speed keeps them being useful as long as the enemy has both roads and very short attention span when it comes to actually building things on their newly captured territory.

Now the Warden technology this speedy little cart has is advanced and superior to whatever the Colonials can scrap up against us in the first few days. First, keeping in mind of user friendly conscript design the main weapons of this AC are two squad support light machine guns that feed off a single thirty round magazine, easy to use plug in and pull off technology. None of those long fiddly belts or worrying about having to throw all the used brass out the viewing slot. Gone are the days of worrying about wasting obscene amounts of ammo providing covering fire.

Now the commander and gunner does not get all the luxoury mind you, the driver themselves has the fantastic skyward facing vision slit. No need to worry about being shot or running over anything you cannot see, just lean back relax and watch those clouds while putting it in H to full speed. Anything important (mainly our own soldiers) will be gently bashed away with the Pte Catcher and any nasty pistol or rifle round will ping off the top of the line Chonkham armour plating installed around the front of the vehicle.

During the stresses of frontline fighting the Ministry Of War has found a way to convert our precious red berry wine into a combustable fuel source which diluted with the diesel provides more Vroom. In a pinch the average Warden solider can drink this mostly edible gut wine, brewed in the back with the provided state of the art micro brewery firmly secured in the rear of the vehicle. Drinking too much of this wine will be considered theft of fuel and you will be shot. Only a single glass soldier.

And lasty the tyres of the car along with their superior Warden grip ziggy zags and to pay for the constant production of the O'Brien for raids and backline security we've teamed up with the Indie car modification scene, every O'Brien produced will be rolling with the sick rear end Callahan Pimp hubcaps giving this AC an extra touch of class.

Now this is not all, we've even got a special variation of the O'Brien which has treaded tracks mounted in place of those wheels, perfect for sick muddy off roading antics and fooling the more blind and dumb Colonial soldiers into thinking they are facing some weird light tank variation until it gets close enough to them.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 8, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Wardens will receive the 'Adamantium Chocolate Bar'. It has very high armour values, accurate when stabilised, does no damage to vehicles and is slow to aim. It costs 250 rmats and is one use only.

The armoured faction has no armour (good tanks)

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 8, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
This game is well coded.

Also it's over and time to wait for the next one.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 8, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well that was a rough war. I'm hoping we're not starting until monday the servers don't poo poo themselves this time.

Hoping some other multiplayer video game craze will drain the KGG's numbers because they aren't helping.

Also the new guns Wardens will get in the summer update look neat, shame the developers seem to be obsessed now with Warden firearms needing to be constantly stabilised and shot SLOW AND CROUCHING.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well that was a rough war. I'm hoping we're not starting until monday the servers don't poo poo themselves this time.

Hoping some other multiplayer video game craze will drain the KGG's numbers because they aren't helping.

Also the new guns Wardens will get in the summer update look neat, shame the developers seem to be obsessed now with Warden firearms needing to be constantly stabilised and shot SLOW AND CROUCHING.

Clearly being a defensive faction means taking a nap while you wait for someone to enter your firing range.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

aw dang did i miss the war? i just picked this up since i had the day off

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frances Nurples posted:

Peace has broken out, goondolences.

But never fear, there's always a need for wet work.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Frances Nurples posted:

Right now the in-between war intermission phase (called Resistance) is going on, so you can still play the game its just that people won't be playing as seriously as they would in a normal war. Think of it as an improved tutorial or something, get on Discord & ask questions and ppl might be able to answer them & walk you through stuff.

In other news, the devstream yesterday indicated that the devbranch (aka beta testing) for Update 43 should be out soon. The instructions on how to get it are in the 2nd post for anyone who wants to play with the new stuff, some of which is -

Colonials get an actual "medium" tank with a higher powered type of 40mm gun.
Wardens get the Hetzer. No, seriously, its a friggin' Hetzer:

Slower than the Colonial TD, but has a new higher powered (high velocity in devspeak) 68mm gun & sloped armor that means more shots at it will deflect/ricochet.

Both sides got new guns - a new SMG variant and Assault Rifle variant for both sides, Colonials got Bangalore torpedoes (anti-barbed wire & tank trap satchel) and Wardens got a Sticky Bomb variant (some flask looking thing that took all of 4 seconds to be made into some sort of drunk/whiskey/maple syrup joke by the Twitch chat). The demo video indicates it's slight less powerful than the actual Sticky Bomb but can be thrown much farther & the projectile flies faster.

Map posts can now be flagged as Public or visible by just the Squad or Regiment.

Anti-cold bonfires can now actually be built on Seaports now because having a perma-frozen ship sorta sucks, but expect these things to get roadkilled with extreme frequency.

Bunch of technical engine/server & client upgrade stuff - the most player affecting one is monitor refresh rates above 60hz will be possible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

New war is starting this Friday so uh yeah, no need to worry Frances Nurples.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Okay War 74 is live, the servers have not exploded so a fair start.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

We just loving goonrushed a Colonial push on Alchemio with grenades and endless lives because of the two field hospitals operating at full capacity. They went from slipping spawn campers into the destroyed garrison houses overlooking the town hall to being thrown back to their side of the bridge with several lost FMGs and tons of shirts and equipment on their end. Our defenses are back up in the form of rifle garrisons this time around too.

Sometimes all you are need are some super aggro goons with explosives on hand.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Early war fighting is an odd experience, you are essentially doing pre-Boer war antics until the grenades and other minor tech things evolve it to the 1st World War. You learn to appreciate small things, like grenades, weapons that can fire lots of bullets and med kits. Oh god med kits.

When we can get more than three dudes and can work as a cohesive whole with or without vehicles front line fighting can actually be consistant fun instead of a back and forth amusing to frustrating experince you get being alone.

Also, this is something we need in the OP. If you are not a fan of chilling in Discord or too busy to bring it up but are in our own little squad, press G to use the squad only in game VOIP.

Also:

Welcome to another briefling soldiers, this time we'll be covering something you will be seeing forever in this hell war, the common CWT Dunne transportation truck. This truck/lorry/bastard thing will be your 2nd home as we're too cheap to provide you with any form of tent or blanket. You will eat your official ration wads in this thing. You will sleep in it. You won't have time thinking about doing either as you will be driving in for the infamous Blue Ball express attempting to bring vital equipment and cannon fodder to be used at the front as efficiently as possible.

Technically for tax reasons purposes you are married to it and it will inherit and carry whatever you have on you after your inevitible demise to the one partisan waiting for you down the road you will run into when you actually have to do something with it.

Now don't fret shh it is fine soldier. For you see unlike our Colonial foes our Dunne like all superior Warden gear has been designed to help you in your duties. You will never be blinded or lost at night with the top of the line Monocular light which always turns on and stays turned on from the moment the engine is hooked up until the thing explodes. There is no off button. Don't touch the light it is expensive.

Other conviniences of the Dunne are the ample living space for one soldier and any loyal stray they pick up for whacky adventures and hijinx in between supply runs, said space can also be used for transporting other things like loose salvage or boxed equipment and I suppose other soldiers too. The extra greased wheel arches oiled with the tears of the children working in our efficiently tooled factories for their fear of the inevitible conscription keeps those wheels turning fast and slick making sure you outrun even the least heavy loaded up enemy soldier wanting the fat prize in the back of the thing. To make the thing drive even faster it has been equipped with the best top of the line tarp over the bed filled with speed holes to ensure that load of scrap you will dump outside the refinary will get there double time.

While you are fleeing in style, the windows have been tinted to prevent the sun catching your eyes or any officer or martient NCO not happy with you wrenching the thing open for a quickie joy ride to the front. While in operation the Dunne uses the state of the art HONK horn, this horn being pressed comes with one flexible note that has a thousand meanings and can be used from all sorts of scenarios while being operated. Every Dunne also for morale purposes is equipped not only with the D: grill that mirrors the heart and soul of every Warden doing logistics but our own National GO FASTER recognition emblem making every Warden patriot know if we just do everything quicker we will win mounted on the top of the cab so you don't even need to bother to look for it. Just know it exists okay.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 10, 2021

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
Despite the leagues of people crying about how bad the game is, it definitely has its good moments.

My favorite is the grr goons from pubbies, the joint teamkilling of dumbasses building trenches that gently caress up bunker bases, stealing both enemy and allied vehicles, and lots of other poo poo.

Also for free salt, say in team/world chat that you can't wait for sniper rifle to be teched, because it does have it's uses, but it's definitely not nearly as useful as the ATR, something that never got researched last war and we lost horribly because lol tanks and not enough cheap rear end anti tank stuff.

Literally need to spam ATRs, a squad of them can track or turret tanks and be very annoying.

Not to mention the damage they can do to other vehicles like half tracks or light tank destroyers.

Looking forward to the new anti-tank tank for wardens even if it's a turd with a gun, and the anti-tank grenades.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Don't forget the satisfaction of using the ATR to make enemy infantry explode.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

Vorenus posted:

Don't forget the satisfaction of using the ATR to make enemy infantry explode.

This guy gets it.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
If we get snipers before storm rifles this war I'm gonna lose it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What does your heart tell you

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pammLlPBgnM

Last night was fun with mixed results, we got a good amount of goons and did a few things and actually succeeded for a limited amount of time.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The front lines at Tomb of the First: watch how fast a truckload of bmats disappear.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The looting scene from Lord of War is emblematic of foxhole. Watch grenades from a base or bmats from a refinery vanish before your eyes.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Danann posted:

The front lines at Tomb of the First: watch how fast a truckload of bmats disappear.

That was insane and amazing!

Later on we leapfrogged up flak guns.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
Steal everything that isn't nailed down.

Then steal everything else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welcome Warden soldiers to yet another weapon and equipment briefing, today our subject is the Field Machine Gun Swallowtail cart.

Now during the earlier part of the war due to limitations the fastest firing thing we have is our rifles. Now Warden Engineers have revived the much beloved technology machine gun weaponry in several (oddly at the same time so have the Colonials?) so in the first few days of fighting this mobile machine gun platform is the key to victory in many situations. Assuming there isn't gas. Or flanking soldiers. Or hill of steep height. And that somebody brought the ammo belts.

Moved by the oldest and most reliable form of transportation soldiers with nothing better to do on those sturdy railtruck wheels the Swallowtail can be set up and provide a decent covering arc forcing the Colonial enemy to swallow the heavy rounds coming out aggressively from the twin linked barrel machine gun. Said twin linked guns have been modified with flash hider technology for those night time infantry supports against the sleepiest and blindest enemy soldiers who cannot see or comprehent the bright tracer rounds spewing out of the barrels. To make up for weapon speed and to prevent the FMG crew from pushing it too far ahead a beating rod mounted underneath the shield has been provided for any Warden NCO to dispense justice as they see fit. Also can also increase pushing speed.

Other fine Warden enhancements include a roomy double lunch box and wine cooler underneath the gun for those essential long term waits holding that one stupid bridge head we can never capture. Those operating this experimental technology can relax as at chest height you are protected by a top of the line gun shield made from the plating salvaged from the wrecks of our armoured cars. Also included with this machine is a top of the line straddle bar for a soldier or NCO to squat on when spotting and directing to the crew because when fighting for the Warden forces every day is leg day in many different ways. On a related note please stop locking your trucks if you aren't using them. You will be shot on sight for this act.

A protective peephole slit s provided so squinting the driver of this cart to determine what time of day it is before breaking out the cheese and wine for long waits. Now some say after a few days of the war that these things are comically obsolete and the guns on them would do so much better being mounted on our tanks and we say thusly; we'd love to attempt this but half of them keep getting stolen by the enemy. Always form ad-hoc blocking parties when working with these as young wet behind the ears conscripts will attempt to joyride these things into the hands of our grateful enemy who don't even need to find ammunition for it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is this game comparable to Planetside 2? I am/was familiar with PS2 (been playing since beta on and off up to a year ago), and at a glance there are a lot of similarities.

Also, how many people are in [GOON] atm?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Seems to me we have 4-5 hardcore vets, a bunch more who come on the reg, and people who are green, return or only log on rarely. We're doing some cool poo poo, but could do with more troops.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It shares some core concepts of Planetside but the game is a bit of a sandbox that relies a lot of player cohesian and support too.

If you are cool with that and the jank roll on up, we do need numbers to actually do things.

I strongly suggest those going to the Front for the first time to take up the Medic role and just watch and observe how things go and how people fight, a great way to learn without exposing yourself to the death loop that can be quite jarring.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Heh. That's the same tip we give new players who want to go heavy into infantry in PS2.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Listen up soldiers, that time again for another briefling. This time we will be covering a more flexible and useful vehicle no matter what phase our current hell war is in. Presenting the Drummond 100a Scout recon car. This nippy little devil will be the eyes and ears for those performing either commando duties or driving down raiders that have stumbled into sight of our towers or scout tanks radio networks. Now I know it is shocking we've designed and produced a light vehicle that performs well above expectations and I will give you a moment to fan yourselves with your helmets before we break down the usual top of the line Warden advantages that set this one apart from the Colonials own attempt at a scout car.

Now like I previously mentioned this Scout car is equipped with a radio set, yes radio that new fangled rediscovered technology we use to listen to jaunty accordian music and the high command screaming down at local command for not dying horribly enough charging rifle bunkers. Of course we're only barely begun to rediscover and understand radio and our jamming technology is essentially not using the drat thing, but you take whatever advantage you can get. A smart commando party doesn't hang around the scene of their crime and vadalism now, use those whacky wheels!

Now the speed of the Drummond is powered by the incredibly well engineered artisanal Big Grand Prix Broom Broom engine, reputedly engineered from the centuries back when we'd pointlessly drive fast cars around against each other until they exploded (no mines or murder involved, we do not understand either honestly) and on a proper road or even off a road you will easily outpace most of the enemy leaving them to choke on the bitter wet mud. Other features of said vehicle include stylish battle damage straight off the production line, this is psychological warfare and will make the enemy quiver in their boots as they will assume the vehicle is nigh indestrucble and their puny battle rifle cannot damage it. Of course this is a theory, chances are their bullets can still hurt and kill you please do not test this theory.

The cab of the vehicle has several features, one is a fixed in place anti-wind and rain oilskin tarp roof. Keeps you from being wet and smelling of wet onions and the snow off your helmet. Yes our factories could work on a design with a more solid roof but we need to save every piece of scrap for the hundreds of shotguns we need to produce now. Moving on, we have a single easy open single lock door of the vehicle now, too many doors is a security risk so like with many other Warden vehicles we've come once again to the conclusion you only need a single one, stop complaining now. It has two very useful features with it as well, an open slot for soldiers to throw or post maps or important documentation during operations and the very important anti slip safety step. Stumbling out of vehicles hurts and makes you look very silly and we are not a silly army. Nope.

The scout car also impressively comes with a decent trunk size perfect for smuggling a decent cache of explosives, cheap watches or stolen booze now in the raids back and across the border and through our own depot checkpoints. Now the most important feature is the chunky Radio set mounted in the back, not only can you tune in and monitor our towers defensive screen of other pissed off soldiers yelling into radio sets but previously mentioned you can listen to music and irritate other radio users on the non military frequencies. When this war is over we will need DJ's again so get the practice in while you can soldiers.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 16, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

itry posted:

Is this game comparable to Planetside 2? I am/was familiar with PS2 (been playing since beta on and off up to a year ago), and at a glance there are a lot of similarities.

Also, how many people are in [GOON] atm?

It’s definitely not an FPS, it’s almost like a top down multiplayer shooter meets xcom sjnce when you realize the cover system is OP and makes enemies in the open magically miss you can dominate most players

I don’t know anything about planetside but it’s more like a regular mmo in that there is a long supply chain and backline with some Eve online no safe spaces always pvp type deal

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Playing it like a FPS and trying to chase and get the best shot with your gun will get you killed.

It's more like those mod/indie realism FPS games where caution, defensive positioning and working together gets you the feeling of satisfaction of not being the guy who died embarassingly easy.