Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Having cleared out the MPF in Kirk today, this was my experience.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The worst nightmare for logistics in the game, needing to do something at a port and one of the big boy French clans is there already unloading freighters.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

This game seems cool, how bad is the learning curve

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

DaysBefore posted:

There's a lot of fiddly bits that are completely unexplained but with help it's easy to pick up. Just ask for help in the global chat and there will always be someone to point you in the right direction.

Just for all that's good don't be one of the insufferable new players determined to show everyone that trenches are good, in fact. Nothing makes a frontline builder want to cry/strangle you more.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 30, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Not hard, you just need to ask people or find out for yourself. Hardest thing is mastering the UI.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

my viewpoint on tech as frontline newbie.

early stages wardens stronger due to infantry weapon superiority.
Collies get ISG while wardens get RPG, pushing the balance in favor or collies, because its much harder to lose ISG while wardens pte's drop tons of tubes for collies (best scavenge trips i have picked full crate worth of rpg's from field).
Light tanks on wardens again pushed things to warden favor, but that lasted only 24 hours.
Collie vehicles are way stronger than warden vehicles, but it aint because of stats. Its the price point. Example i was fighting at allods and enemy tanks just kept rolling in faster than i could kill em. Literally running out of rpg shells before enemy runs out of pushing vehicles. Enemy can afford to lose 7 tanks to my rpg and it wont even stop them from pushing, Wardens cant afford that kind of negligence. Similar experience in battle of iron junction with collies wielding 14 tanks there at once.
warden artillery has also been superior this war, but that is harder to quantify as frontline newbie.

Overall its collies strategical/base building thats been their weakness this war when compared to last war. Which has allowed wardens to snowball a bit (until devs turned on warden nuclear winter)
Another big change this war has been warden population boom during low population hours.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Spatha only cost 5rmat less than a Silverhand - 165 v 170. You see so many because they get MPF'd and handed out to anyone with a half decent pulse.

MPTs caused such a rage that they've been against ballistas most wars since.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 30, 2021

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Rynoto posted:

Spatha only cost 5rmat less than a Silverhand - 165 v 170. You see so many because they get MPF'd and handed out to anyone with a half decent pulse.

MPTs caused such a rage that they've been against ballistas most wars since.

maybe wardens just hoard tanks for inactive clans. But yeah collies field like 10x the amount of armor wardens have. At least thats what i have been seeing in frontlines.
Anti tank is effective but it does seem like collies absorb the material costs too easily.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
One big thing with the Spatha at least is it's easy to use and cheap to load because it's HV40mm. While silverhands remain hands down the best main-line tank at killing other tanks they also use the significantly more expensive 68mm ammo while also only having standard 40mm which does ~half damage to structures - most importantly standalone AT turrets.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So last night we made the Chieftain which is the new Silverhand support varient with the 250 Spigot hull howitzer and dual 12.7 turret MG.

And good god it was stupidly fun playing as a chunky hard to kill scout tank without a radio just mowing down the almost suicidal crater hugging Colonial infantry outside Jade Cove.

Sadly the stubby hull howitzer you need to dial in rather than directly fire the thing and of course it has the comically shortest range of any artillery piece. Certainly worth teaming up with other Silverhands.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

So last night we made the Chieftain which is the new Silverhand support varient with the 250 Spigot hull howitzer and dual 12.7 turret MG.

And good god it was stupidly fun playing as a chunky hard to kill scout tank without a radio just mowing down the almost suicidal crater hugging Colonial infantry outside Jade Cove.

Sadly the stubby hull howitzer you need to dial in rather than directly fire the thing and of course it has the comically shortest range of any artillery piece. Certainly worth teaming up with other Silverhands.

i drove it, and we didnt die. good job, me :cool: (and everyone else involved who made sure we didnt die)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

All three 250mm guns share the same range(25m)/mechanics fwiw. It has always been comically short and would be super broken otherwise

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I encourage everyone here to drive a Silverhand, you will learn to suffer like I do in the tiny villages where swarms of other players do not understand to give way to the 8 tonne landship.

In other news, any CAF goons read this for the love of god in the future tell your clan to baby sit the AI of your bunker bases. Tuatha is sadly doomed.

Everything east of Endless now is a defensive front.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I am happy to say this game is mostly scratching that WW2OL itch I've had for a decade.

Also I got in a random tank and blew away 3 collies with the revolver from the commander hatch before we blew up and that was fun

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Hell, even for the brief time I get to hop on sometimes it’s a lot of fun. I had thirty minutes to spare and so I hopped on out at Mercy’s Wish and helped a guy load artillery until ammo ran out. 10/10 would toss rounds in big boom tube again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Next few hours we will attempt to do some sort of raid and blow up bridges. How? well, we shall find out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Likewise if you suddenly get waylaid by real life and not certain you will be on as much during the campaign and if squad is very close to the limit let us know and peace out the squad (please god say in the regiment though).

Yeah, you might want to remove me from THE SQUAD since I'm probably not going to be on as frequently as I should be in the next couple weeks.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Are the wardens losing again

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's been a weird night, and we're not entirely sure.

We've lost most of the stuff outside our side of The Baths. But we've retaken Tuatha and Evil Eye and pushed them almost back towards Axehead.

Also, our float boat raid was a success. We briefly blew a bridge and several tents and damaged some Colonial tanks!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
This war is going to come down to whichever side can get the first missiles off onto a major logi hub.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yep, looks like the rockets will decide this one for sure.

We've had a fantastic reversal over the weekend. We've retaken what we've lost, plus a little more. Some Colonial Concrete BB have been dusted.

Alas it has cost us all of the CAF Storm Cannons.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I ended up picking this game up, can't determine if I'm doing more harm than good but mostly just figuring out how to do stuff and dying a lot on the frontlines. Next war I'll try and play with goons as my kid picked the game up and I was playing with him and he wasn't on the goonside and on shard 2. hopefully by then I'll have some more stuff figured out.

So far I've :
Gone to the frontlines and gotten murdered a few million times
spent about 2ish hours while working driving back and forth from sulfur mine and picking up salvage and driving back to base, dropping them off and turning them into bmats for public consumption.

No clue if I was actually helping or not but it seemed like it. Next I guess I'll figure out how to do a few things like go load artillary or when I can be a little more invested actually deliver poo poo like shirts and ammo that folks may need.

One question though.. is there a good way to see what's where before I deploy, at the "login base" there's no war map, and in order to deploy in the back it's nice to know where garages and stuff are. is there something I'm missing in game or is it "go to online map and find out there"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Responded to some partisans messing up Reaching Trail's harvies and tankers. I met up with a spitfire in a LUV and we intercepted the Collies near the north border around Mousetrap and Ice Ranch. Spitfire suppressed and disabled the jeep and I ran over the passengers who panicked and exited the jeep.

The hilarious part was that they had like 50-ish mags (most on the jeep, but their bodies had 5+ mags on it too) of 7.92mm in addition to the dusks and storm rifles they had on them.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

tater_salad posted:

One question though.. is there a good way to see what's where before I deploy, at the "login base" there's no war map, and in order to deploy in the back it's nice to know where garages and stuff are. is there something I'm missing in game or is it "go to online map and find out there"

There are some tables near the deployment zone where you can see the state of the war.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tater_salad posted:

I ended up picking this game up, can't determine if I'm doing more harm than good but mostly just figuring out how to do stuff and dying a lot on the frontlines. Next war I'll try and play with goons as my kid picked the game up and I was playing with him and he wasn't on the goonside and on shard 2. hopefully by then I'll have some more stuff figured out.

So far I've :
Gone to the frontlines and gotten murdered a few million times
spent about 2ish hours while working driving back and forth from sulfur mine and picking up salvage and driving back to base, dropping them off and turning them into bmats for public consumption.

No clue if I was actually helping or not but it seemed like it. Next I guess I'll figure out how to do a few things like go load artillary or when I can be a little more invested actually deliver poo poo like shirts and ammo that folks may need.

You are doing everything perfectly right. As long as you are not blowing up your own tanks you can't really do any harm.

Also, if you are on shard 2 I think you can play also on shard 1. I don't believe it locks you, so c'mon over.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Danann posted:

The hilarious part was that they had like 50-ish mags (most on the jeep, but their bodies had 5+ mags on it too) of 7.92mm in addition to the dusks and storm rifles they had on them.

I always appreciate it when our enemies do our logi for us.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Danann posted:

Responded to some partisans messing up Reaching Trail's harvies and tankers. I met up with a spitfire in a LUV and we intercepted the Collies near the north border around Mousetrap and Ice Ranch. Spitfire suppressed and disabled the jeep and I ran over the passengers who panicked and exited the jeep.

Do magazines stack in jeeps?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Grondoth posted:

Do magazines stack in jeeps?

Normal small arms ones do, same as elsewhere.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cimber posted:

You are doing everything perfectly right. As long as you are not blowing up your own tanks you can't really do any harm.

Also, if you are on shard 2 I think you can play also on shard 1. I don't believe it locks you, so c'mon over.

His kid is on Shard 2 for the moment.

We use Foxhole Stats to monitor exactly where to go outside the game but you can also use the deployment table maps before heading off via the landing beaches.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks.. using the foxhole stats map wasn't a big deal but I figured I was missing something.

I'll have to see if I can join in on shard 1 servers As well as 2 or if I'm stuck with one or the others..

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You can jump between the two servers freely. Server 2 will likely disappear eventually as population dips again.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How does it work with the second server anyway? Is it just a separate war not as many people play in?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Server 2 is an entirely seperate war that Siege Engine opens up to try and prevent wait times at region borders not exceeding more than 10 minutes for most due to the fact that regions are pop locked at maybe a 300 players each side?

Oddly enough they never bother using their mutators and just clone the war on server 1.

They've hinted that they are looking into making a few more regions in the next few months to ease this. Shard 2's numbers dropped after several wars as the streamer/popular thing players get worn down and or bored.

While we slept, the Colonials took back some land last night sadly. Due to the shelled to hell wastelands it gets harder for people to build up defenses so chances are we'll never fully secure Iron Junction until they get pushed back hard at Godscroft.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Being on the winning end of a failed naval invasion is one hell of an experience. We slowly squeezed them into their original LZ and then they were panicking and trying to get away on their boats as the white whale was pummeled dead.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SeanBeansShako posted:

While we slept, the Colonials took back some land last night sadly. Due to the shelled to hell wastelands it gets harder for people to build up defenses so chances are we'll never fully secure Iron Junction until they get pushed back hard at Godscroft.

Yeah it was more of the issue that in low pop hours, there just aren't enough people to keep the AI up everywhere, so Collies were just walking up to town halls and satchelling them. It's kind of an intrinsic mechanical problem with the game.

Danann posted:

Being on the winning end of a failed naval invasion is one hell of an experience. We slowly squeezed them into their original LZ and then they were panicking and trying to get away on their boats as the white whale was pummeled dead.

Haha I ran a truck full of gas grenades and other needed supplies down to the Baths TH in the middle of that. Looks like it got mopped up pretty quickly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We menaced attempts at raids or probing at Danaan coastline by just being around in the Chieftain.

Apologies in advance for any who recently joined us and log in to find themselves out the squad, you are still in the guild/clan/regiment system now. We just have hit the active numbers for the squad and need to rotate those not present out.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

We have fun in the trenches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FldWTwVUjT4

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah it was more of the issue that in low pop hours, there just aren't enough people to keep the AI up everywhere, so Collies were just walking up to town halls and satchelling them. It's kind of an intrinsic mechanical problem with the game.

This is why it feels like making the front even wider is a poor solution for increased population, you're just spreading encounters even thinner.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Volmarias posted:

This is why it feels like making the front even wider is a poor solution for increased population, you're just spreading encounters even thinner.

Exactly -- and this is with a big population surge. The last few wars were much lower pop, and Collies would make huge gains in ground every night just by virtue of having active clans in Russia and China who could PvE the front during low-pop times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The increase of regions would ease some of the numbers which better than none, sadly the night cap PVP thing is an entirely a different problem with no east solution, the best they can is at least make building static defenses easier and harder to dislodge.

Unless a Chinese/Aussie/Russian streamer shows up night cap numbers will always be a thing.