Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That new thread smell. Also the devs are aware of how these lopsided resource spawns have made the last two wars a bit of a boring one-sided mess and have mentioned working on fixes for how they're distributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Another pretty short war is over. Hopefully they're able to get the balance right on the next one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There's a dev branch up right now Info Here. During these the devs are quite responsive and is the best time to toss ideas at them.

Some very good prospective changes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It has helped make specific cities worth pushing towards either to take or at least disrupt so it's at least an interesting mechanic. The components in particular being weighted more heavily to the backline should help smooth out the big problems with the system.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
New war should be up in 30ish minutes. You all should think about joining the far superior colonials and not the dumb wehraboo wardens.
E: Update is live for download.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 16, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

taters posted:

I speculate Wardens wrapped this one up so quick by several of the "neutral" clans stacking Warden this war. The numbers seemed about 3 to 2 Warden advantage most of the war. Hopefully the next one is more even and we can at least get light tanks.

While this was a big factor it also didn't help that Wardens started with Tempest Island and its manufacturing hub which is significantly easier to defend and use than Oarbreakers'.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danann posted:

Uh wow the Colonial team just collapsed after they wasted a nuke on a nowhere town and missed another town with their last nuke.

Pretty much every major clan has quit out of boredom. Add in some pretty flagrant cheating with alts to steal things and some chinese fly hackers nuking things with satchels and people have just shrugged until the next war.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

MREBoy posted:

War over ! next one starting ???? Also devs effectively turned off the Resistance phase this go around by deciding to not let anyone build caches. Apparently someone caching 1,020 boxes of stuff (supposedly including 100 crates of satchels) last go around kinda broke things this war in their opinion.

Caches have had a snowballing effect for a while now. Also didn't help there were almost three times as many wardens as colonials which is why queues were getting into the hour(s) range.

More importantly and disturbingly is that the severe problem of warden nazi/nazi-adjacent groups is starting to boil over Here and also on the discord while the devs and mods have been completely silent.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

eonwe posted:

and honestly, both sides have dogshit regressive dumbfucks. the last time I played on colonial there was a guy singing about his child bride, columbine, etc and everyone thought he was hilarious

While there are definitely a bunch of regressive shits it has become a self-reinforcing cycle that it's much more likely for someone to be yelled out of colonial chat for being an explicit nazi which just leads to them joining wardens in the next war and staying there. This is something that has been going on for well over a year.
Definitely a next step after removing them would be trying to stamp out the racism/sexism but that's unfortunately not nearly as controversial as either implicit or explicit support of nazism/neo-nazism among the average (game) population.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Also a dev made a response about supply caches.

" Here posted:

[Dev] markusn82
1 hour ago
We made a mistake with the Supply Caches and should have removed them as soon as we introduced the dynamic starting conditions. Hope this changes at least helps a bit with early war stability.

So hopefully that's the end of them not just for this war.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Det_no posted:

Never had. They've never cared about any moderation because they are permanently tinkering with their game, adding stuff instead of fixing stuff. They really need a wake up call.

There have been a few mods who have expressed frustration with it but as far as I'm aware any real moderation decision is required to go through a single incompetent micromanager (KFC).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

I've been encouraged to get this but I don't know if I can stomach another game with alt right chuds after Mordhau.

Absolutely would not recommend in its current state.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

MREBoy posted:

New (& currently highly disliked) system that affects upgrade parts. Depending on factors the value of 1 part can deviate from the long time 1:1 ratio, can vary anywhere from 0.8 to 1.4:1 now.

This one in particular is a big killer and hopefully to be reverted eventually. Besides that the devs still haven't figured out that constantly adding in new systems without actually stopping to balance any of the old ones isn't particularly good for the game. That combined with logistics burnout due to their(devs) complete refusal to accept that long slow drives across boring maps isn't good game design is already depressing the population again from its update hype by ~1/3.

There is the glimmer of a good game in there but it's covered in poo poo.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Randomly picked up a new player goon in my barge before hunting and killing a warden FA and its barge. A good evening and welcome random new foxhole goon.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

So it is worth keeping an eye on this in case it leaves Early Access or should I look for non Goons to play this game with?

No.

Hezzy posted:

I've been playing with 82DK and they seem like a good bunch of people.

The leaders are literal nazis. Same with WN.

E: 82dk is significantly bigger and takes just about anyone so you're less likely to run into a wehraboo in general but make sure to stay well away from WN.
Neither are particularly subtle, though. (82dk logo)

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 26, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hezzy posted:

I knew they had some sort of German soldier vibe going on but didn't figure it was Nazi related? They seem more to be fans of Warhammer than jackboots

Some of their members, along with WN, formed the 'Warden SS' as a 'joke' back when All chat was still a thing where they would happily do 'Heil Callahan' (lore person), 'joke' about gassing certain peoples, and leave blueprint swastikas.

Pretty nazi-like, imo. Though, again, 82dk is massive and a lot of their members likely don't quite realize that no it's not a joke.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hezzy posted:

So a handful of people from two of the largest clans in the game made a dumb teenage edgelord joke and therefore the rest of the clan are also Nazis? Is that what you're saying?

Where's the public outcry about this? Why haven't the Devs banned them from the game?

I don't really believe you. The lack of any visible scandal doesn't support your version of events. I checked discord for "SS" and "Heil". SS just mentioned shirts and all the instances of "Heil" came from random people and not clan members.

For everybody else, a massive update is about to drop and it's going to make the game so much better! Like MREBoy has said it adds a whole buttload of content.

If anyone wants to come and play, join Wardens and apply to 82DK. Their discord is here; https://discord.gg/zCUbdnT

There's an operation scheduled for Saturday evening, 1800hrs UK time.

There was a public outcry. Especially once they went full bore hard racism against the chinese players joining the game. You couldn't go an hour without seeing one of those fucks whining about them in the most vile ways possible. This is, incidentally, why they removed all chat.

Yes, not all members of those two clans are involved directly in the overt nazism. Many of them are just normal rear end racists who are a-okay with the nazi parts existing. And some are new players who haven't played enough to see the really ugly parts when they poke out - the aforementioned racism against the chinese was especially good at getting people to reveal themselves.

You're free to continue playing with these groups if you want though I would personally suggest joining literally anyone else.

KirbyKhan posted:

What the gently caress are nukes. I've never really stuck around in a war long enough to see those. Also signs a p cool I like em.

Calling them nukes isn't really accurate as they're a missile structure you build at a predefined location - Great March, Farranac Coast, Reaching Trail this war - that is a one-use long range weapon that makes any structure it hits within an 80m radius removed from the match. If it hits a victory point town it lowers the required captures to win by 1. To actually launch the missile you require 10 people in the region which it's built and a spotter within ~120m (binoc range) to grab coordinate codes for the missile to hit which are then given to the missile operators to enter. Then a 10 minute countdown starts in which the spotter needs to stay in the same location and not die. A warning is issued to all players in game giving the coordinates of where the missile is going to strike when the timer starts but not the location of the spotter. If the spotter survives the 10 minutes the missile is launched and the affected structures turn red to indicate their removal from play. Usually manufacturing towns are targeted. The engines for them are the very last tech in the game so they're meant as game enders.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 31, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fans posted:

I like to shoot medics with the grenade launcher then wait for more medics to come heal them and shoot them too.

New medics who don't realize their kits always appear even when you can't see their player model are always A+ for glaunching. Bodies piling up one after another.

In update news next war is going to be absolute hell for logi with the removal of gunnests and the devs incessant push to make trenches actually used on the frontlines despite them being absolute garbage for that job. So that'll be fun.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 10, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
A reminder that the nazi contingent of the game also congregates on wardens

(No they weren't banned)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
One of the devs honest-to-god thinks a running engine will freeze because of cold weather. It's fantastic :allears:

They're also canadian so should really know better

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Just ask in here as well. I've got an absolutely depressing number of hours into the game over literal years if you want ultra bitter opinions and how to break things. Although my favourite exploit of putting tanks on top of buildings is long gone :rip:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Let me guess you're right at the border edge. Because there's an ancient, rare bug for when you cross the border it will fling you in a random direction if there's another vehicle that even partially clips/blocks your spawn in. It usually only happens on the small waterways as there's less approved spots to spawn but narrow land passages sometimes have it happen as well. This same bug can still sort-of be exploited with APCs all clipping their loading door into a vehicle simultaneously and launching any vehicle into orbit*. Used to be easier under the old system but you can still get some decent loft. Clipping bug also works on individual players which is how you can fling them across the map at warp speed if you set it up right.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 11, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Almost a hundred silverhands were sitting in private stockpiles whenever it fell. A hilarious lootbox.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
RMats are hilariously easy to come by after sledgehammers come out compared to E/HEmats. I play with a group of ~8 and pooling E/HEmats is really the only way to effectively max MPF order satchels/shells which cuts off 50% cost. The timers are pretty brutal for Emats especially. If you're going to be doing group logi you'll want to share refineries and make sure everyone always has Emats cooking then whenever you have enough for a full MPF order have one person do it for that discount. Once harvesters come out rush out one to then feed the rest of the group some and you can then produce whatever you want after you reach critical mass of ~4 people. Basically have 48hours worth of EMats cooking in every refinery at all times.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 16, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It seems like the obvious solution is just make the world bigger with more servers

It took almost a year-and-a-half for the big map update that gave us the current hex layout. And for a good half the time plus since then multiple hexes have been disabled due to low pop. This game may have some big spikes occasionally but it has always flatlined after a few wars once the sales are over.

E: Although I would personally argue that the map needs a total redesign as it was never intended for the current bunker system.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 21, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The big massive secret to 1v1 infantry combat is just to strafe. The immediate reaction of many new players is just to immediately crouch and try aiming at you so just run around them and punch them to death. Against groups of players behind sandbags or whatever just come at them from a 90 degree angle of the front and watch as most of them don't even look in your direction until half of them are dead from being stabbed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
So with new goons about here's a tip: Avoid the queues at fronts by spawning in one region back that doesn't have a queue then walk to the border and cross. Border crossers get immediate priority over home base spawners and immediate access to a limited border queue if there's multiple doing the border thing. Once you cross over immediately return to home and spawn at any base in the region you border crossed to as you now have a saved spot. You're welcome.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Change grenades to gas and move it just behind rifles and you're pretty much there. BMats is also high up there. Masks aren't terribly useful unless you're using a heavy weapon/vehicle or defending a safe house.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Snipers have always been a meme choice and with the current tech system there's no reason to ever pick them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Think your rank or the other players rank actually means something in the game.

I'd modify this very slightly and say that looking for a person's level, instead of rank, can actually be important sometimes. Unlike ranks which are just popularity contests / clan circle-jerks levels require putting actual time and effort into the game. And the amount needed increases massively after level ~15 so if you see someone at, say, 17-18 you can assume thousand+ hours, and by the time you see 20+ assume 3-4thousand. A much better indicator.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

One pubbie who said he flipped sides said that colonial was a lot more organized feeling but also way more tryhard. I haven’t really encountered rank pullers except in global chat.

In the Before DaysTM when there was only a few hundred active players at peak it wasn't uncommon for the vast majority of wardens to be in a handful of large clans and for colonials to be far more chaotic. Nowadays, with the more new players, it's very mish mashy and the large clans have lost their power.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
All the pushables besides FAT can't be hidden in bushes. Bush FAT was a concession to make them more viable during tank combat.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You can tell where you can get into buildings by the white X on the walls. The church is especially insane to whack people from.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tias posted:

On the subject, then you have a crate of three vehicles/guns/etc, how do you unpack them to the level you can use them?

Vehicle crates can be unpacked at depots through right click. Equipment crates are automatically unpacked when submitted to any base.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Getting run over, and running people over is just a part of the game. Especially once larger combat vehicles come out - new players instinctively want to stand behind them which just ends with lots of squished infantry.

It doesn't help that the sound is humorous and satisfying

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Game is nowhere near release ready and I have severe doubts it will be any closer after the 1.0 patch.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

There are still years old bugs and exploits that have never been touched, let alone fixed. And they've proven particularly resistant to even addressing their existence.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
This game is well coded.

Also it's over and time to wait for the next one.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 8, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Katt posted:

Bought the game on this thread hype but it's permanently stuck on "VAC check failed" and won't let me play it.

I googled several solutions but none of them worked.

Go on the main discord and ask a dev directly. They're decent about helping with tech issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Proper (3+ person) tanker gear:
Driver & Spotter: Hammer, Mask, Binos, Radio, ~60bmats and the rest of the slots filters.
Gunner: Hammer, Mask, Radio, Fuel (or bmats if close to fuel), and the rest filters

Gunner should never ever get out in combat situations or near the front and should instead be ready to jump seats to driver if the driver & spotter somehow die while repairing.

There. You're an official tank crew. And seriously never skimp on filters.