Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
They may have added bigger tanks, more explosives which are a giant pain in the rear end to make, changed the purpose of the GLA tunnel networks several times and made logistics mildly less opaque but you can always expect pubbies to expend resources on the biggest monuments of stupidity and waste their minds can muster.

If you meet a builder on the road building a gate inside a town, kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Danann posted:

The amount of non-sunken defenses left alive behind friendly lines is absolutely criminal. A lot of them were pretty fresh too meaning any Colonial nite crew overrunning our front line doesn't have to spend time and material rebuilding them. They only need a fresh injection of Uparts to turn on the AI defenses.

It's a frequent occurrence that players don't follow common courtesy or have any consideration for others and clean up around them, truly shameful. Gamers are real life and ingame grubs.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I didn't play with clans because I don't want to be ordered around or have my stuff jacked so I never saw outright fash stuff in warden chat or around me in VOIP. I do remember seeing the blasé gas jokes by both factions and if I found the people doing it as I was trucking around, I'd make sure to accidentally paint my truck with them.

What I distinctly remember is that for the act of ambushing people behind enemy lines, I was called the N word, the C bomb and other wonderful slurs by Colonials in local voip more times in 200 hours than in 3000 hours of FPS shooters (last ten years). If a game has PUBG level vitriol in proximity chat, that's a big deal. I stopped playing partly because of it, since like mordhau, I don't expect the playerbase to ever change.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The game is as toxic as csgo and r6s you have to employ mute just as liberally. Nevermind that collies called me the N word or C bomb when I was or they were bleeding out, the racists and vile swine aren't the only people on the server with you, unlike csgo and r6s.
You can engage in the gameplay loop without them entering your bubble. Finding a front where you can sneak in and demolish towers unopposed or creep up on a pair of builders is more dependant on your skills and awareness than using a dozen shirts an hour in the meatgrinder.

I played the game for hundreds of hours never interacting with clans or mic 'leaders' or even delivering them supplies - I practised logistics; visiting hotspots, ignoring requests for shotguns (four hours and counting), taking note of inventory, finding a quiet town then producing and delivering the missing items. It's easier now because there's a logbook.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I thought field hospitals were for immersion but the bodies continuously piled up for a few hours. Carried off three collies during the deadlands fighting. :toot:

I initially drove up to Iron Passage delivering bmats but ended building foxholes, setting up proper sandbag wall + box positions and removing wire & poorly placed trucks because pubbies are mouthbreathing idiots.

e: And all I wanted to do today was make and use a scout tank. Six hours Lost to the Zone :cripes:

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 1, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

No matter what goal I had in mind starting up foxhole, I always get sucked into the logi blackhole. I planned on making grenades and mortar shells today and ended up maintaining seven mines across two maps.

The amount of logi I do the devs might as well set my pool of commends to infinite; I'll throw them at any goon I come across. Long gone are the days of giving them away twenty at a time. :(

e: if you really want to get those brownie points, submitting a large quantity of crates to a base will cause it to show up to nearby players and prompt them to hand over a commend.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The scout tank is to tanks what the jeep is to trucks. A very excellent offroad vehicle that runs people over.

It's incredibly unfair I can't crate and reserve both. :colbert:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

As it happens, I have enough materials to make one. It only needs assembly and a crew. If you and some other goons get in a squad while I'm doing logistics, I'll hand it off.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

If the devs wanted to make a crutch tank for players to facetank AT and reverse away, maybe they should've saved that for a singleplayer game.

I guess I had fun today reenacting a 12 player 2017 foxhole server in 2021? This is what happens when I choose a map I didn't logi dozens of hours for.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Personal stockpiles at the refinery and depot will never be released to public if you keep topping them up. The timer is reset every time you add another item.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

We got a clanner temporarily banned because goon squad 'stole' :airquote: a field MG to pave the way to a town hall that we subsequently took over. Accusations that it was lost to the enemy were greatly exaggerated. The seized town is the result of throwing hundreds of bodies at rifle garrisons for a couple of hours.

Mission Accomplished. :black101:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

You can make ammo long before the requisite weapon or vehicle comes into play, already saw clans putting in Storm Cannon orders. Crewed weapons are highly vulnerable to being picked off, unless there's significant infantry support, they're glorified demolition crews (e.g the field mortar) that come in to clean up after the infantry have cleared the area.

For taking out foxholes or radio towers, 12.7mm HMG (not 14.5mm FMG) ammo for when we get HMGs will be good. A HMG stowed on a bike is the new 'knocking over towers with a SMG' tech. Gone are the days we'd get both the machine gun and jeep around the same time. :(

Naturally 40mm and RPG ammo are good to have stashed too.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 19, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Savages in shackled chasm was under artillery bombardment spanning three hours, first by unorganised pubbies then by an organised clan with coordinated barrages that rendered much of the landscape into blasted craters. In addition they begun harassing innocent logistic drivers at the border edge to allod's bight, confiscating their goods and using excessive force to obstruct freedom of navigation.

A lone goon using nothing more than their wits, engaged these terrorists. Bravely, they rode out and used the unfamiliar terrain to their advantage. Knowing that these ruthless killers would nestle themselves on a position of high ground with their backs to a mountain, the path forward became obvious. In a incident historians would later compare to the Siege of Singapore, the raiders were dispatched in a singular strike before their malign brains could process what was happening.

Goons abolished ICE border patrols. By telefragging them from behind in a jeep. :toot:

No cargo was despawned in the making of this tale.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

We are in the bullying phase of the war.

Faffing around in a jeep running a dozen collies over and one of the goons got an incredibly wicked sick 360 spin pitch gun kill.

Also:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

They should know better than to appear as a J4G. And to post in the thread or discord before anything else.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Squad locking stops people taking stuff out of vehicles but not putting things in, so a weaponised vehicle can still function. Just not very well since you can't lock it.

Artillery is straight up useless if squadlocked. The gun cannot be loaded. Murk anyone who squadlocks artillery and leaves it like that.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Tanks and infantry isn't really combined arms. HMGs, mortars, crewed weapons, artillery and tanks is combined arms and basically all of them suffer from dumb logistics or people tech skipping for sniper rifles. It's important for goon stashes to have refined material weapons or to pump out mass production orders for more than just storm rifles.

I want towed field weapons because field machineguns and 40mm drop off in the first several days, the siege mortar is total poo poo and the colonial field artillery belongs on the wrong side.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

BeAuMaN posted:

How are sniper rifles? I tried them out on the training range, and they seem to serve only a very specific purpose: Enemies that are both far away and standing still. Even laying down they take a while for spread to settle down and moving your point of impact just jumps that spread.

Can you snipe enemies on artillery or some other device with an exposed seat?

The sniper rifle heavily relies on being in full cover to reduce aiming time. Sniping tank commanders is a waste of time.

To use a sniper rifle vs crew weapons you must 1) Always prone when able to 2) Always position yourself in full cover, no exceptions 3) Have a screen of infantry so you don't die by absolutely anything 4) Not get pasted by friendly or enemy artillery 5) Have a 35-50° angle on the person you're aiming at so you hit them behind the gun shield/cover 6) Aim at someone within effective range.

If you use the colonial rifle hitting someone when the aim line is faded will only gravely injure them and if they back away, you have almost zero chances of a followup shot. Each shot has to be a kill shot. Chasing a kill with a faded line is pointless; if you're using the warden rifle you likely won't even land the shot if they're moving away.

Your positioning is heavily contingent on where the frontline is because the sweetspot is the slice of ground stopping each side being able to hit and kill each other with cover that you can use. That's two screens worth of ground that not many people want to stay around in. Neither rifle is a sniper rifle as much as they are a DMR with none of the redeeming factors.

Sure, you may very well land a kill outside of the criteria I've listed. I could also come in from the side and kill them with a bayonet, gas or a cooked colonial frag. It's better off for everyone to dump crates of sniper rifles into the river or sea. The most effective use of a sniper rifle as they currently stand is if you're the only person on the map with one and you'd get ten times more kills using a HMG or ISG anyway.

There has never been a phase of the game where they were ever good. They were complete trash when both sides used the same guns.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

It used to be fair vs buildings too. Shame about the range though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I found prototype kits and tech hidden away from Port of Rime next to the sea. Between sabotage and the bunker base in endless shore that was stocked with hundreds of units of ammo and grenades in a fast decay zone, this war is blowing my mind.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

There's a fair chance they'll continue to swarm and take over regions but also to eventually lose interest and crumble horrifically. Wars last a couple of weeks usually. Factors that make people stop playing include server problems, large clans taking a break, people doing really stupid things that lose a town, the weather, etc.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

There are some goons on when our base is under attack but I'd like to know where the two dozen goons I saw two weeks ago went.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Not pictured: the pubbie who was shooting a gun truck with a sniper rifle at night. I disabled two gun trucks in front of our base and gassed most of the crew dead but he was bravely plinking away.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is it possible to hit enemies in a trench or bunker you're not flanking? Should I just not bother taking the shots? I keep shooting on the off chance it's possible but I don't think I've seen it yet

When they're in cover, the shots have a chance to whiff entirely no matter how accurate. Only a HMG is going to ignore that cover with suppression and volume of fire. Additionally, elevation is going to stop the shots dead so the laying of trenches without any sense of right or wrong aggravates the good players immensely.

Shotguns would work wonders in trenches but they took those out back and shot it with a firing squad and never said stop firing. So at night it's SMG time or playing peakaboo with a revolver. The colonial rifle is more suited to night time too.

I killed a lot of colonials in Isawa this war within 10 metres without ever entering the trenches going revolver ocelot, swirling included. That was another rubbish dump with horrid trenches that helped colonials HE buildings with impunity.

You build trenches (connectors) because bunkers need to be connected to the core base, you do not build trenches because you think it's a WW1 game. Someone said they took a picture of a sign I put up, it succinctly sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

40mm wheelchairs can't be hidden in bushes? Field anti tank guns can be hidden.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

A colonial partisan jeep with a ~*brigadier general*~ made it to the backlines and was ready to start mowing down defences protecting harvesters. Up until I rode in behind them riding a bicycle over ice to sticky bomb them and beat them to death with my bare hands.

Not included: the four other boxes of HMG ammo that despawned.

e: I was ringing the bell the whole time.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 4, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The scout tanks are there to be used. Take them out in groups of 3. If we ever get to silverhands, 150mm howitzers or ironhide tanks, maybe have some caution.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Wardens will receive the 'Adamantium Chocolate Bar'. It has very high armour values, accurate when stabilised, does no damage to vehicles and is slow to aim. It costs 250 rmats and is one use only.

The armoured faction has no armour (good tanks)

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 8, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The looting scene from Lord of War is emblematic of foxhole. Watch grenades from a base or bmats from a refinery vanish before your eyes.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I put a thousand hours into Planetside 2 and you certainly won't get into tanks with the same frequency as PS2.

Foxhole is not all about redeploying and getting into the biggest fights though you can see, and you'll be one of Those People if that's all you do. See resources aren't abstracted into a steady, passive income, meaning if you're not holding an important chokepoint or taking a town and defending it until it can stand on its legs, you're a net loss of equipment. You're a waste of space who is stopping someone at an adjacent border from entering the map. The only place you can mess around is the middle of nowhere where logistics doesn't delivery gear because no one cares if you exist or not.

I think of foxhole as Company of Heroes but you're playing as a single unit. You need to be doing something productive because map control is key. The game doesn't make that easy because to keep the whole war economy going, you will experience downtime and grinding that will make you hate your fellow teammates because they can't tie their shoeslaces.
Never lose sight of that the game itself fighting you, the UI is aggressively horrible. If there were functional toilets (we have them, for aesthetic reasons), foxhole would make you drink toilet water instead of the actual interaction you wanted to do most of the time.

The dev's vision of the game seems to involve a cog in the machine, shovelling dirt and taking stimulants to stand guard 24/7 or all hell will break lose. One side or the other will give up and lose the will to play.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 17, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

itry posted:

Yikes. That sounds like a pretty miserable time.

On an individual level, it can be mitigated by someone else taking the bullet for you and doing logi. Across the whole playerbase, skipping wars to recover from mental exhaustion is advised and encouraged. By players, that is.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

You have access to the maps in the middle but the island sidelanes are turned off. You can use all the tech the war had so you can faff around with tanks or artillery.

e: The key to not burning out is setting personal objectives because it is almost impossible to turn a situation around by yourself. I don't really care if our side wins or not, only if the area goons invested time and effort into produce results or puts other clans to shame because we prioritise the important tasks and/or are very good at being demons and ruining the days of friendly/enemy players. The last four wars goons have always held down their part of the map.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 17, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

A war just ended, I think folks are waiting for the update to test out new toys.

Goons will occasionally do a weekly weekend op but mostly the active players are a reactive force that shore up a defensive line, do competent artillery ops or engage in backline raiding.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Last night I logged onto LIVE-2.
Overall it was a good time. Also, I think where this game gets it right is that if you want, you can do a bunch of logi or fighting or whatever in just an hour or two of play, without it needing to be a second job like in Eve. I mean, there seem to be players who do turn it into a second job, but it's not like everything will fall apart if you personally aren't logged in exactly when a timer runs out or some bullshit like that. I'd definitely say it's worth the :20bux:.

The second shard is the lowest stakes possible, people go there to play tanks or to experience opposite day to the main server. Because the largest clans are from all over the world, on the first shard you'll quickly see how dozens of hours (not including upgrade idling time) can go up in smoke in two hours because twenty people lobbed explosives at a base defended by three players with a pulse. In certain chokepoints, it's a matter of holding out until the French or Chinese log in, for wardens and colonials respectively.

Logistics during those times becomes a hassle. No trucks in public storage, the scrapfields in your zones and adjacent maps are picked clean. The refinery's public bmats & emats were swiped in minutes, hope you built up a stash in advance! All factories are queued; the MPF has 25 heavy ordinance orders. Seaports are choked with trucks and flatbeds, trucks left alone for a moment are wrenched and driven away, presumably dumped on a frontline somewhere. Due to rapid playerbase growth, it becomes abundantly obvious that the logi hubs are inadequately scaled up. Half the maps being buffer zones with little or no facilities contributes to the problem.

It's par for the course to log in eight hours later and see just how much someone hosed up. Barbed wire five metres away from defences or long trenchlines is borderline griefing because it doesn't stop HE rushers, for instance. Two or three towns will be lost in the beginning days of a war wholly due to unlicensed backalley builders.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 20, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Mercy's Wish is/was a real rubbish fire.

Bridge fight with gas and ISGs and no masks, the bunker base goes up and down three times. For a good forty minutes, CGC was throwing dozens of frag and gas grenades every minute, a 100 metre stretch would have three or four gas clouds blowing around without end. Every rusher ambushed at night was carrying a full inventory of nades.

I should have left when they lost the prototype ISGs because the nade spam started after we stole them. They blew up the bunker with the ISGs but as long held tradition for weapon crews, overextended and tried to be cute setting up in our trenchline. They go in, I send a frag over, their bodies fly out and I swoop in to briskly run away with the gun and two collies trying to bayonet me, I even meet another warden who managed to whisk away a ISG they plopped onto a obnoxious rock formation. Between the ISGs in stockpiles and the ones I witnessed being taken away, we must have stolen a whole crate's worth of proto ISGs. The nade spam was an incredible low to follow up from a wonderful high.

So from the first major fight of the war (with no new gadgets in play), the takeaway is that ISGs are still really good at blowing up bunkers for almost nothing, bridge wars are (still) hell on earth and that halving gas nades per crate doesn't stop CGC from throwing several hundred bomastones and gas in a bridge fight. Don't use crew weapons at night. :eng101:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

As soon as I saw that in discord, I redeployed ready to gas the collie out. It happens once a war someone gets an uninvited guest while waiting at a border. :ninja:

I've had to build five rings of foxholes in logi areas and get the AI up and running as soon as the war reset, and each position has repelled raiders. I had a collection of boats in axehead from colonials. Then when sledges unlocked, shoving g supplies into bases. And QRF. Then repairing a map's worth of towers. I've had no opportunity to do anything I wanted in this war yet

Oarbreaker was very sloppy. Skelter has three beaches people can stroll in from and there was a gap you could drive several trucks through. This war has been low energy from the get-go and a distinct lack of goods to shore up the high number of bads. Seeing a lot of concentric lines of defences that aren't covering anything important, that's going to be stuff that crumbles if it hasn't already.

It's not a rewarding task but thank you for doing logi, braver than the troops (who will yell for logi for two hours).

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 25, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I was being helpful! :(

I stickied, gassed and beat a anti-tank armoured car crew to death with my fists, now I'm the proud owner of it and not sure where to put it. :toot:

They were that close to being an annoyance for logi between ulster and hardline.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 26, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Goons stopped a colonial offensive in callahan's passage with a few field artillery salvos until warden tanks arrived and pushed them off the map, removing their bunker bases in the process. I also got to mow down colonials occupying a trench thanks to a flak emplacement that fired straight down it. :black101:

It boggles the mind that the colonials can lose when they have field artillery. It's so easy, and it's not even the good arty. 150mm is going to ruin people's day, on both sides.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Gosts posted:

don't jinx it

We jinxed it.

Not really. You can't rush down and get VPs as easily as the people who drove around in tanks thought. Then because they thought they won, they didn't bother doing logi or securing defensible areas.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

It's all a stream of new people, almost entirely low ranks on a map sometimes. A lot of clans and builders are MIA. The influx of new people is probably stalling the colonials from winning already as well.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

^^The ~lore~ gives enough justification for each side to attack each other because they both did terrible things.

Relic heaps were turned on for two recent wars that produced alum, iron and components when hit with a hammer and spawned everywhere. They were nice little goodies because they encouraged looking around maps previously the realm of backline raiders or watchtower maintenance people.

Are they going for 'shirt recycling but for vehicles' with wreckage or are they going to spawn as vehicles die on a map? Vehicles I drove into mines didn't produce wreckage, time will tell if it's a % or a node that spawns.

Some devbranch testing:

I can't one shot jeeps with stickies and scout tanks aren't instagibbed by mines, this is becoming too unfamiliar. :ohdear:

250mm doesn't stack in the siege silverhand (nor does it anywhere) so go ham with extra five rounds of 250mm if you enjoy living on the edge with no spare fuel or bmats? The machine gun appears identical to the gunboat MG.

It's a siege mortar that can move and defend itself but if you wanted it to hold more ammo like the ballista (which colonials already complain doesn't carry enough) so it can do it's job, SOL. It'll need to be babysat.

I hope tweaks before it's released to live are made, I don't see how it can come onto the field and make a difference when colonials historically get faster vehicle tech. The tech system doesn't do it any favours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Looks like the sticky nerf is to stay. Gone are the days of busting colonial jeeps with a bike, a sticky and your fists. :sigh: