Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The land shudders. The skies weep. The seas roil. The Overlord has arrived, and the end of the world is not far off. At least, that's what everyone seems to think - you're not ready to give up just yet. If the end of the world is approaching, you're at least going to go down fighting.

I'm putting very little fanfare here. As the title suggests, this is going to be a game of Fellowship 2nd Edition, with the Overlord as the game's Framework. And that is about the only detail that's set in stone at this time. Instead of the "concept-first" approach that most games take, I'm leaving the details vague. I want to set up the plot and the Overlord around the characters, instead of the other way around.

Likewise, I'm not actually looking for full character sheets from your applications. I'd much rather have the players work together to build their Fellowship, and I dislike the mindset that a player's concept needs to be scrapped because the Playbook they wanted to use is already "taken." Instead, I'd like your applications to answer the following:
What major themes are you interested in seeing in the story?
What sort of character do you usually like to play?
Tell me about one of your favorite role-playing experiences.

We'll play the game here on the forums, play-by-post. I've also set up a Discord server for the game, which anyone is welcome to join. Feel free to drop in and ask questions or just chat.

If you're familiar with the game's first edition but not its second, the DriveThruRPG page has a convenient synopsis of the changes made (it's not especially extensive).

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

I'm living with a lot of pessimism at the moment

Aw, I'm sorry. I hope things improve for you.

thatbastardken posted:

also your discord link has expired i think

I thought I'd put in the permanent one, but regardless it should be good now.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Great apps from everyone. I'll be closing the doors for applications on Monday or so to make my picks, so if you've been procrastinating, don't wait much longer!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Since we're coming up on the deadline, and I'm an active participant in this game as well, I figure it behooves me to answer my own questions.

Maleketh posted:

What major themes are you interested in seeing in the story?

I'm a ham. I love melodramatic roleplaying, epic monologues, and heated exchanges between opponents. I also enjoy worlds in which the gods are strongly represented.

Conversely, although sci-fi has its place in fantasy, I'm not big on the elf playbook's Star Elf option - something about it doesn't appeal to me. I'm not going to disallow it though.

Since none of that technically answers the question I asked, though, I should also add that I'm into heroes overcoming seemingly impossible odds to eke out victory, as well as discovering deep secrets about the world and steadily growing in power. The realization that your rag-tag troupe has grown into a small but skilled army is a great feeling.

Maleketh posted:

What sort of character do you usually like to play?

I tend to gravitate toward weird and exotic characters, but I'm not above playing something more mundane if I have a solid concept. I'm also the person most likely to fill a missing role when everyone's picking their classes. I'm ultimately happy playing just about anything.

Maleketh posted:

Tell me about one of your favorite role-playing experiences.

My friends and I were playing game using the FATE Dresden Files RPG ruleset, but in a 1930s-era archaeological adventure setting (think Indiana Jones with magic). My character was a follower of an old god that no one was sure existed, at least until we made our way to a "lost world" area containing an ancient civilization that worshiped the same god. Over the course of the next several sessions, I ravenously collected and jealously hoarded my fate points (bennies you can spend for bonuses on rolls). I eventually accrued a collection of around 20 of them. Finally, were were able to settle the civil war that had overtaken the locals, and my character went out to make a speech to the assembled masses, hoping to restore their shaken faith in their deity. I blew all my fate points on the roll, giving me a total of around 35 (in a game where a roll of 9 is incredibly impressive). Everyone in the area heard the speech and believed absolutely that their god was right there with them. And since the gods in the setting are powered by belief and worship, it resulted in my god literally being summoned before his faithful, if only for a moment.

That campaign was bonkers in all the best ways, and was easily the best in which I've ever played, but even there this scene was the highlight for me.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Okay, everyone! Applications have been reviewed and I've made my player picks. This was a tough decision to make, since I think everyone has something worthwhile to bring to the table. My picks are:

Tricky
paradoxGentleman
areyoucontagious
nil.
Astus

Anyone who wasn't chosen is welcome to remain in the Discord chat with us; you'll be my first picks if anyone drops and needs to be replaced. If you'd prefer not to hang around, I understand completely, but thanks for your interest regardless.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Happens.

That being the case, I will welcome Evil Mastermind into the fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Game thread is up!