Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will AEW survive the year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 102 47.66%
No 17 7.94%
Yes after TNA buys it 95 44.39%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Cavauro posted:

i'm sorry for what i done in here. i feel very bad about it. posting when you are sleepy and mad is not something everyone can do and i have to start respecting that about myself. i do have limits, and i wont attempt to cross them again. if any one had the g1 climax tournament spoiled for them because of me then speak now if you would like a more personal apology than this, for the sake of showing sincerity

Hey man it happens, spoilers suck but it's no big deal. I appreciate this post and I invite you to continue dunking on Alex Marvez. God bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i will give marvez credit that he was very clearly making an effort to sound enthusiastic. he still wasn't good, but he didn't sound about to fall asleep like he did at double or nothing, and that counts as improvement

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't like Marvez at all. As a backstage interviewer or something, maybe. But he swings 9,000 times and gets on base maybe 2 or 3 times a show.

That said, he's so much easier to tolerate than Michael Cole with Vince in his ear. At least he's allowed to be himself and not a catchphrase robot.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

this guy sucks lol

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Brandi/Allie, Page/Sabian, and Rhodes/Bucks were all slogs (in my mind) - it was more fun piling on the rough job Marvez was doing than paying attention to these matches. So yeah, he probably didn't deserve all that vitriol, but the dude is green and emotionless and brings a creepy vibe to things.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I liked Page /Sabian and Rhodes / Bucks, but Brandi/ Allie was a real bummer

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Page/Sabian was fine in a vacuum, but its placement on the card (a slow leg match following an insane tag sprint), and kinda baffling layout (why is your world title contender working underneath in a 19-minute leg match against a guy nobody buys as a credible threat right now?) really sunk it.

They should've just given Page a squash where he does all his cool moves in a row, and then do the post-match angle with Jericho, which did get over in the building. You'd still have an uphill battle, but it would've helped Page a lot more than what they ended up doing.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 15, 2019

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Brandi really needs to work on her timing. I never watched Impact so I'm looking forward to seeing Allie wrestling someone who isn't Leva or Brandi.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Brandi should just have Kong wrestle all her battles 100% of the time

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Benne posted:

Page/Sabian was fine in a vacuum, but its placement on the card (a slow leg match following an insane tag sprint), and kinda baffling layout (why is your world title contender working underneath in a 19-minute leg match against a guy nobody buys as a credible threat right now?) really sunk it.

They should've just given Page a squash where he does all his cool moves in a row, and then do the post-match angle with Jericho, which did get over in the building. You'd still have an uphill battle, but it would've helped Page a lot more than what they ended up doing.
This is kind of my main gripe about AEW. They're doing that indy/WWE thing where everybody is as good as everybody else and can hang for a twenty-minute-match when somebody should just be positioned as better than most who can just blow through opponents so that when somebody can hang with them, we know they're a big deal.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i like kip but i also agree that it should have maybe been a nine minute quick match where page wins decisively. i wonder if them setting up the brandi/kong paring again is them laying groundwork for the women's tag team division? there aren't exactly a ton of women tag teams on the indies so it makes sense AEW would want to establish them before the titles are created.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maybe having the only AEW shows between the two big events be glorified house shows was a bad way to keep enthusiasm up before All Out

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean it gives a window to see their mistakes and for them to fix them early on.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i mean it gives a window to see their mistakes and for them to fix them early on.

I get the rationale, especially in terms of working out the kinks of streaming, but they could be doing better in terms of establishing character and building to the big matches. All we've really seen of that on these shows is the Cody chair spot, the Omega/Moxley brawl, and the Hangman/Jericho stuff on FFTF. I'm not saying they need to do a Raw style 30 minute promo to start the show but it would be nice to have one of the guys in the trios match have a segment to establish themselves as a character rather than dividing that time between the six of them.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i feel like TV is gonna be used to reintroduce everyone anyway so its not that big of a deal. they're going to have every week to get people familiar with the roster.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I Before E posted:

I get the rationale, especially in terms of working out the kinks of streaming, but they could be doing better in terms of establishing character and building to the big matches. All we've really seen of that on these shows is the Cody chair spot, the Omega/Moxley brawl, and the Hangman/Jericho stuff on FFTF. I'm not saying they need to do a Raw style 30 minute promo to start the show but it would be nice to have one of the guys in the trios match have a segment to establish themselves as a character rather than dividing that time between the six of them.

The Lucha Bros stuff has been extremely excellent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are we all pretending we don't understand that MFT's tongue was thoroughly planted within his cheek?

Are the indies also really dead?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I watched All In for the first time tonight. In my head I'm just going to swap Adam Page's match with the one last night, and now he's over.

If you'd told me last night that, a year ago, Adam Page hit a Rite of Passage off a ladder through a table, there's no way I'd have believed it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

The Lucha Bros stuff has been extremely excellent.

The matches at Fyter Fest and FFTF have been fun, but I feel like I want more from a build to a ladder match than "one team gets on a ladder and says "let's have a ladder match""

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Tarnop posted:

I watched All In for the first time tonight. In my head I'm just going to swap Adam Page's match with the one last night, and now he's over.

If you'd told me last night that, a year ago, Adam Page hit a Rite of Passage off a ladder through a table, there's no way I'd have believed it.

His knee is injured he can’t do big moves right now

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The weakest show so far being a mere 8/10 compared to the other 3 is a pretty good sign.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I Before E posted:

The matches at Fyter Fest and FFTF have been fun, but I feel like I want more from a build to a ladder match than "one team gets on a ladder and says "let's have a ladder match""

It hurts that they haven't really mentioned that the Lucha Bros won the rematch for the AAA titles and thus the ladder match would be a rubber match, but if Pentagon Jr. says "gently caress you, we think we're the best and we'll prove it in a ladder match" I'm immediately down for that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The weakest show so far being a mere 8/10 compared to the other 3 is a pretty good sign.

Was gonna say. I agree with the people that this was the weakest AEW show so far, But At The Same Time there were at least 3 MOTYCs imo, with one or two more coming close. It's refreshing to have that kind of quality present even in bad circumstances (two injuries, overheating problem in the venue, production issues etc)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didn't feel the show was that good, but was quite interesting for the most part. i did turn it off before the main event concluded as i wanted to do something else at the time. the show reminded me a lot of smelling gasoline as a child. i likely would have sniffed the gasoline very deeply up close if i had been able to, but never received the chance. i doubt i would have ingested the gasoline (petrol) but can't say with 100% certainty

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I Before E posted:

This is crazy talk. The 6-man tag had tons of character moments and story, building on what happened before and setting up more stuff for the future. The 3-way tag made instant stars out of Boy and his Dinosaur. The joshis essentially got over in one night.

Note that all of this is storytelling that's happening right there in the ring, with no need for "segments" or hokey setups to promos. If you watched all 3 shows and think they're not "establishing character and building to the big matches" then you're simply not paying attention.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LividLiquid posted:

Whatever happened to Nick Lovin?

I used to hang out with him a lot. He’s on my Facebook. He still wrestles locally in San Diego.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The_Rob posted:

I used to hang out with him a lot. He’s on my Facebook. He still wrestles locally in San Diego.

I remember wanting to go to one of his shows years back so I could tell him we were going to make him a champion in 1997 WCW and all the insane legends we were having him to tag teams with like Sting and Hashimoto and Hijo del Santo

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I thought the set looked amazing and wanted that venue to be like AEW home base it looked so good - so if he wants to dream about more poo poo from south park and it keeps turning out awesome then go for it

The humidity and open air venue leaves you susceptible to terrible weather though.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was ranting on Twitter about Extreme Rules and a friend of an online friend hit me with the following gems:

-Says Seth isn't even a top 20 talent in WWE and that Roman is a completely different class of worker than him.
-Says Mox is only over because of free agent buzz and that in the case of both Seth and Mox, Vince "turned 5s into 9s".
-Derisively called AEW a vanity promotion and made reference to "AEW Nitro".
-Says Mox is nothing more than a deathmatch guy.

I say all this to say as dumb as you guys think I can be, there are FAR bigger WWE stans out there. Jesus Christ.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I was ranting on Twitter about Extreme Rules and a friend of an online friend hit me with the following gems:

-Says Seth isn't even a top 20 talent in WWE and that Roman is a completely different class of worker than him.
-Says Mox is only over because of free agent buzz and that in the case of both Seth and Mox, Vince "turned 5s into 9s".

I say all this to say as dumb as you guys think I can be, there are FAR bigger WWE stans out there. Jesus Christ.

thats because the dumbest wwe stan is not you, but is still on these very forums

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Rob posted:

Follow-up question: when is Nick Lovin' going All In?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I am absurdly curious about who they consider actual top talents if Seth and Moxley are middle-of-the-pack average. I feel like it's probably Lashley.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I bet it's Corbin.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Please touch the poop and report back on who this complete rube thinks is good

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Roman is a completely different class of worker than him.

I mean that one is true, but not the way he thinks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I personally think Seth is overrated but I'd love to know which 20 main roster wrestlers this guy would rank above him

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WWE has so many talented people that I could probably put together a list of 20 people I could argue are better than Seth but other than that lol.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

WWE has so many talented people that I could probably put together a list of 20 people I could argue are better than Seth but other than that lol.

That's why I specified main roster, because if you count NXT and 205 and UK then it's probably a legitimate argument

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LividLiquid posted:

Follow-up question: when is Nick Lovin' going All In?

Who says that he didn’t already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

FttF was a 5 or 6/10 for me (didn't watch preshow).Triple tag was decent though I'm not sold on Stu and the gang - they were less interesting than their opponents. Hangman vs. Sabian was kind of flat, Omega vs. CIMA was very good. Brandy needs to transition to manager full time and get promo skills. The last match was just a shrug and even so it went way, way too long